Why People Hate Vegans, Part Two

205 Comments on Why People Hate Vegans, Part Two

Since working full-time, taking on side projects, blogging, hanging out with the family and writing a book doesn’t keep me busy enough, I thought maybe I’d start a new web site called ExLowCarbers.com.  The idea would be to “out” any traitors to the cause.  Visitors to the site could, say, click a state on a map of the U.S. and see names and descriptions of ex-low-carbers who live there.  Then, of course, the angry visitors find the traitors in cyberspace and shame them.  I’ll even add the first listing myself: my buddy Richard Nikoley in California.

If that sounds like an incredibly stupid idea, it’s only because it’s incredibly stupid idea.  Since I’m not a nutcase, I don’t get upset if Richard does some experimenting and finds that a higher-carb diet works better for him.  More power to him.  He also doesn’t get upset that I’ve found a low-carb, starch-free diet works best for me.

If only everyone were so sane.  A couple of days ago, the aforementioned Richard Nikoley tweeted (in his characteristic colorful language) a link to a site that “outs” ex-vegans.  The banner reads:

Vegan Sellout List

Calling Ex-Vegans Out By Name

Visitors are invited to submit information about ex-vegans to add to the list.  Out of curiosity, I read some listings:

Bob Harper, former star on The Biggest Loser: This TV star felt his body was craving something. So like most weak-willed people, he went for the cheese. Oh but he loves his dog. Really. Hates cows, but his dog…

Naw, Bob probably just pretends those cows are Jillian Michaels before plunging a knife into them.

Angelo Orozco: Used to be vegan, but started eating meat when he opened his own Crossfit gym.

Hmmm … so it seems people become ex-vegans when they discover paleo works better for them, or start craving animal products, or open a gym and want to be strong.  Those sound like people who are listening to their bodies instead of adhering to dogma.

Actually, if Chris Kresser is on the list, I’d kind of like to be there too.  I wonder how long you have to be a vegan to sell out?  During my vegetarian days, I went all-vegan for about a month.  (I still have nightmares about the vegan cheesecake I tried to eat before throwing it away.)  Perhaps I can report myself and get listed.

Here are some quotes from the Our Mission page:

Our mission to is provide an outlet for the unbalanced rage of the creator.  It was either that or go take an axe to the meat aisle in my local Kroger.

Okay, I made that one up.  Here are the real quotes:

If you’re no longer vegan, you’re going on the list.

Boy, I bet that scares ‘em silly.  I wonder if the FBI could be persuaded to expand the witness protection program to include people on the ex-vegan list.  I’m picturing ex-vegans and ex-mobsters playing poker together in an undisclosed location somewhere in Nebraska.  (They’d be eating pastrami sandwiches, naturally.)

The spirits of the billions murdered have risen to deliver: The Vegan Sellout List – an online directory of those who have regressed from moral consistency to moral depravity.

If you believe the spirits of dead animals rose up and helped create your site, I’d suggest you eat a couple of eggs.  Your brain is seriously deficient in cholesterol.

The Vegan Sellout List is our answer to the epidemic of vegan sellouts – those who are aware of the suffering caused by meat, dairy, egg, fur, and leather production, yet choose to look away while the animals suffer.

Look away?  Nope.  I look right at my chickens when I collect their eggs.  Sometimes I yell, “Look!  I’m taking away your children!”  I’ll look right at them when they stop laying eggs and end up in the soup pot.  I looked right at the raccoon that killed their hen-house mates — that’s how you aim a rifle, after all.

Selling out veganism is a trend on the upswing, bringing with it swarms of haughty, nose-turning carnists uttering nonsensical buzzwords re: veganism being “privileged”, or “trendy”, critiquing themselves into ethical degeneracy and paleo-terrorism.

Uh, wait a minute … if veganism is everything the vegan zealots say it is (the key to superior health, etc.), why the heck would abandoning veganism be a “trend on the upswing”?  Perhaps it’s because a lot of people try being vegans and then say to themselves, “Man, I feel like @#$%!  I’m ordering a steak!”

To those who have regressed from veganism, yet display symptoms of a soul not fully blackened to it’s core, we ask you to remind yourself why you were what you were.

Boy, wouldn’t whoever wrote that be a fun person to hang around with?  I’m reminded of a joke:

Q: How many vegans does it take to change a light bulb?

A: That’s NOT FUNNY, you @#$%ing MURDERER!!!

Now, before all you non-preachy vegetarians with a good sense of humor go diving into the comments section to set me straight, allow me to beat you to it:  yes, I know you’re not all like that.  In a post awhile back, I wrote about a vegan I knew in Los Angeles who not only wasn’t preachy, her live-in boyfriend ate meat – just not in the house.  He ordered bacon when I joined them for breakfast at a restaurant.

But if you’re honest, you have to admit that the vegan/vegetarian crowd (especially the vegan crowd) has more than its share of humorless zealots.  Look what happened when a restaurant chain dared to make a joke in one of it commercials:

Are vegetarians humorless? It’s the question being asked this week after a Red Robin television ad offended herbivores by touting its 24 types of burgers and then noting, with an implied eye roll and mock whisper, “We even have a Gardenburger—just in case your teenage daughter is going through a phase.”

The commercial, part of a new campaign ad series, aired for about a week before being rotated out, as was planned from the start. But it prompted outrage among activists and on social media outlets, with a slew of horrified vegetarians taking the eatery to task for its condescending approach.

Horrified?  Seriously?  Let’s suppose the Red Robin commercial had ended with “We even have a double burger wrapped in lettuce – just in case your middle-aged husband is going through a ‘caveman’ phase.”  Can you imagine Mark Sisson, or Robb Wolf, or Loren Cordain, or Jimmy Moore becoming outraged over that remark?  I’m pretty sure they’d chuckle.  I know I would.

“Though I applaud any fast food chain that offers a veggie burger, and I hope that more do, the idea that not eating animals is reserved solely for teenage girls going through a phase is obviously meant to insult both vegans and girls,” Jasmin Singer, executive director of Our Hen House, a New York-based multimedia vegan activism organization, told Yahoo! Shine.

There’s the difference again:  I don’t believe there are any paleo activism organizations.

As for Red Robin promoting the stereotype that vegans tend to be teenage girls, gee, I wonder if there’s a reason for that stereotype?  If we only we had some statistics …

Oh, wait – we do.  According to this vegan website, 78% of the vegans in the U.S. are female, and 69% became a vegan by the age of 24.  People didn’t come up with the notion that vegans tend to be young and female out of thin air.  As a comedian, I can assure you that if Red Robin’s little joke didn’t have the ring of truth to it, it wouldn’t be funny.

Of course, if years of veganism caused your funny bone to wither away …

“My husband and I used to get your Gardenburger—but after your insulting ad, you have lost our business,” wrote one woman on the restaurant’s Facebook page, echoing the comments of an ever-growing slew of others. “I will never visit your restaurant again.”

One again, try to imagine me responding like that if Red Robin had made a joke about middle-aged men going through a “caveman” phase.

But can’t vegetarians just loosen up and realize it’s all in good fun?

Don’t be silly.  See my joke above.

It was a question tackled by animal advocate and vegan blogger Katrina Donovan Fleming in a June 11 essay, “Just a Joke: Confessions of a ‘Humorless Vegan,'” on Our Hen House.

“Exclusionary humor and its acerbic aftertaste are nothing new, of course. Think of all the jokes that are based in racism. The dumb blond jokes. Antigay jokes. This type of humor is a not-so-subtle way of communicating to one’s companions: ‘We’re better,’” she observes.

Yes, I can see why you take these things so seriously.  I remember the shameful period in our nation’s history when vegetarians weren’t allowed to drink from public fountains and had to ride in the back of the bus.

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it at least twice:  some people are only happy when they’re offended.  It makes them feel important, especially if they can also convince themselves they’re being persecuted.

On a positive note for the vegan crowd, PETA is praising the baseball stadium in Philadelphia for being the most “vegetarian-friendly” of all the major league parks:

PETA cites “the unequaled meat-free chicken steak, followed closely by the unique and delicious vegetarian pit-beef barbecue. Other tantalizing cruelty-free treats include faux beef steak, a veggie dog, a black-bean burger, a vegetarian burrito, and calcium-rich hummus and pretzels. The fresh salads and fruit cups are perfect for fans looking for lighter fare.”

Meat-free chicken, barbecue, steaks and hot dogs.  Interesting choices.

Note to the angry little pissant who created ExVegans.com:  here’s why selling out on veganism is a “trend on the upswing”:  nobody ever walked into a barbecue joint to order a rack of ribs and said, “By the way, can you make those things taste just like tofu?”

And yes, that’s funny.

If you enjoy my posts, please consider a small donation to the Fat Head Kids GoFundMe campaign.

205 thoughts on “Why People Hate Vegans, Part Two

1. alexandra

Regularly, I drive by the homestead of a couple of militant-ish vegans in my area… All my encounters in the past with the woman have shown her to be very nose-in-the-air and condescending toward others.. (she also always smelled awful!) Within the past few months I have noticed that there are now a bunch of hens wandering around their property… must be they have at least now changed to vegetarians… possibly their health deteriorated as they got into their 30’s so eggs are now OK. Should I blow the whistle?

Better get her on the list.

2. Ricardão

“Probably a young, unbalanced woman.”

Are you talking about Durianrider, Tom? LOL

True story: I had a picture of Durianrider sitting on a slide I was preparing for the pre-cruise roast. My daughter Sara walked into my office, looked at the picture and asked, “Dad, is that a girl or a boy?”

3. Justin B

I thought about the commercial for a few seconds, and how I’d react, and then I realized, I’ve already faced something like this as a lower-carb primal eater, and I was fine with it. The TV show Being Human made a joke about Paleo, and I just chuckled.

I chuckle at Ron Swanson on Parks and Recreation.

1. Amelia

That was hilarious! Totally made my day to see that reference on Being Human. Anyone with a brain knows Paleo isn’t just eat meat, let alone slabs of raw meat. Sheesh!

4. Lori

I think you make a good point about different variations of the same diet. Low carb works for me, but it’s with starches, keeping my carbs around 100 a day with low sugar. Ultra low carb does NOT work for me but I think everyone can benefit from some type of low carb diet. You have to choose the variation that works for you because we’re all different.

So why the vegan rage? What’s wrong with being a partial vegan? Isn’t some prevention of animal death better than nothing? It’s like a secret club that would let you become a member if you can only guess the password.

My state is Indiana. Apparently there are no ex-vegans to call out here. We’re all too busy with our pork rinds and pork tenderloin sandwiches. Oh, and fried butter.

Fried butter? Do you fry it in lard?

1. Firebird

There is no such thing as a “partial” vegan. The moment you eat an animal product, you cease being a vegan.

1. Lori

Pardon me. I meant to say “reducing your overall consumption of animal products to decrease the death of animals” but apparently with them your’re either a vegan or a murderer.

I think the butter is fried in peanut oil.

5. Beverly

Even other vegans hate the “true believer type”. A friend of mine, who is very respectful of the differences in our eating styles, recently posted a rant because some people were upset that she wasn’t the “right kind” of vegan. Seriously? These people have nothing better to do than verbally abuse one of their own because she likes eating cooked food instead of raw? Or maybe it was the fact that she occasionally eats an egg from a free range bird. Whatever it was, she was really upset and I kinda wanted to smack the individual who dared to be so deliberately cruel to a very nice person.

True Believers will accept nothing less than total adherence to the dogma. As Eric Hoffer pointed out in “The True Believer,” it’s a mindset based in insecurity.

6. Cyborcat

Interesting timing with this. I just recently discovered that I like pork rinds, so I posted on Facebook about being kind of excited that I had discovered something similar to a chip that was paleo-friendly.

One of my “friends” (I make videos on the internet, so a lot of people I’m connected to on Facebook I don’t really know personally) posted something like, “Hope you enjoy that dead sow that very much deserved to live.”

I was really tempted to say something smartass back, but instead, I just gave a point-blank response: “Dude, I eat meat. If you can’t respect that, just unfriend me.” No response, surprisingly no un-friending–though I am very tempted to just block the person.

I just can’t stand that holier-than-thou attitude. I mean if someone wanted to sway me to be a vegan (heh, fat chance of that happening), aren’t there much better ways to do it that don’t involve being an asshole?

It’s not good P.R., true.

7. Cyborcat

As for the commercial, (admittedly, I haven’t watched it because I’m at work, so I’m going by your description) if you’re really confident in your lifestyle choice, it could be taken as sarcasm or a poke just at how people tend to perceive it, ie: laughing at the stereotype.

The fact that so many vegans got so bent out of shape over it is telling. Jesus called, he wants his cross back.

Bingo. People secure in themselves can take a joke.

8. Carole AKA CarbSaneR

Excellent post, Tom.
    Vegans don’t seem to realize that if no-one ate animals like pigs, chickens, cows etc, there would be no pigs, chickens, cows etc.
    They would become extinct. Therefore vegans will have destroyed more animal years of life than any group of evil carnivores. And no-one would ever see a field of lambs playing.

Economics professor (retired) Walter Williams made the same point: the animals we eat don’t go extinct because we keep breeding them to ensure a future supply.

9. Ruth @ Ruth's Real Food

I wrote a post about the same thing yesterday! The site a bit of unintended vegan self-incrimination. Oopsie.

But you gotta laugh and forgive them, for they know not what they do. Literally! Brain simply isn’t working quite right due to extreme malnutriution.

Believe me, I laugh at them. They’re sort of like the dietary version of “Reefer Madness” — what’s intended to be serious is so ridiculous, it’s funny.

10. Michael Cohen

My first reaction was “This has got to be a put on, they can’t be serious” It might very well be a put on.

Perhaps, but with vegan zealots, it’s difficult to tell the difference.

11. Nancy

If vegans grew their own food they would realize that they are murdering the lettuce when they cut it off at the roots, pulling the carrots out of the ground, stealing the cherries from the trees, destroying those innocent weeds when they till the soil, amputating the branches of fruit trees to thin them and so forth.

12. Ari Mendelson

Tom,
    Are you sure you’re not being taken satire on a joke website? I saw that ex-vegans website a couple of days ago. My first thought was this: “parody.”

Perhaps, but I’m not seeing those little twists of humor I’d expect on a parody site.

1. Ari Mendelson

Not seeing those little twists of humor?

You quoted one:

“Chris Kresser: Vegan turned paleo guy. Runs a website about paleo topics. Now eats pure murder.”

He eats pure murder? Hilarious.

Well, that’s the thing with vegans: they’re so ridiculous when they’re serious, it’s difficult to parody them.

1. Ari Mendelson

Well, you could try accusing them of eating crimes other than murder:

Jenny Whistlingham, became a vegetarian at 16 and a vegan at 18. Now she eats pure grand theft auto.”

13. Marilyn

“. . .those who are aware of the suffering caused by meat, dairy, egg, fur, and leather production, yet choose to look away while the animals suffer. . .”

Takes one to know one, I guess. They “choose to look away” when people remind them of all the small (and not so small) animals killed in the fields when their food crops are raised.

1. PJ

Bingo, Marilyn!! The reactions I get when I make this point can be mind boggling due to their bizarre rationalizations. I guess as long as you call yourself a vegan, you can get away with killing many species of animals just as long as you don’t actually eat said animals.

14. ShannonCC

Well, to be fair, I think the young, militant vegan thing is more of a teen thing than a vegan thing. The vegans I know are perfectly nice to this carnivore 🙂 However, my paleo eating daughter (14 and knows it all!) will roll her eyes and make sarcastic comments when I eat something not paleo.

Thankfully she is kinder to her friends, including the vegetarians (because yeah, she does know a lot of vegetarian girls!). Funny though, her veg friends have been supportive (or at least quiet) about her eating paleo, but it’s two of her omnivore friends who have the biggest problem with what she eats.

And, just have to say, I read that lightbulb joke and started laughing so much my son asked what I was laughing at 🙂

Seriously though, that site is scary. Does that count as harassment or stalking from a legal point of view? I clicked my state and found a name from the next town over, a restaurant owner. That just doesn’t seem right.

Youngsters are more prone to being militant. That’s why “activists” recruit on college campuses.

1. ShannonCC

Definitely. It’s annoying, but excusable in a 14 year old. When it’s an adult who hasn’t matured past that stage there’s obviously a screw loose somewhere.

15. Marilyn

But it’s OK to be cruel to your carnivorous pets by feeding them vegan foods. Google “vegan” and “cat food.”

1. Alex

The whole vegan cat food thing weirds me out. If humans want to live according to some religious ideology, that’s fine, but why impose the same restrictions on pets? It would be like me converting to Islam and making our female kitties wear burqas.

Anyone who puts a carnivore on a vegan diet out of supposed love for animals has a screw loose. That’s an awful thing to do to a pet.

16. alexandra

Better get her on the list.

17. Ricardão

“Probably a young, unbalanced woman.”

Are you talking about Durianrider, Tom? LOL

18. Justin B

I chuckle at Ron Swanson on Parks and Recreation.

1. Amelia

19. Lori

Fried butter? Do you fry it in lard?

1. Firebird

1. Lori

I think the butter is fried in peanut oil.

20. Beverly

21. Cyborcat

It’s not good P.R., true.

22. MTheads

Vegan activists sound oddly like pro-lifers: murder this, murder that. Of course, they’re only concerned with the murder of animals by the one species they hate. With the exception of themselves, the rest of us aren’t terribly important to them.

23. Cyborcat

Bingo. People secure in themselves can take a joke.

24. Carole AKA CarbSaneR

Excellent post, Tom.

1. Ghost

This! I was vegan for several solid months. RAW vegan. Felt great for about two weeks. Had to quit after that! I’m still not sure how I survived.

BUT!! That’s not to say that if a vegan friend comes over I won’t prepare a vegan/primal meal. Because curry is the great equalizer. I can panfry chicken or tofu on the side, and everyone will be happy!

I welcome everyone to my table!

25. Marilyn

1. PJ

26. ShannonCC

1. ShannonCC

27. Marilyn

1. Alex

28. AndreaLynnette

Wow…I don’t want to turn this into a political rant, so I’ll just stick with pointing out the cultural phenomenon of “outing” people who disagree with you by putting their personal information out on the internet. That’s really creepy. Beyond the ethical/moral questions is the fact that it’s really, really screwed up to post what amounts to a Pig List up for anyone anywhere to see.

Agreed.

29. Rather Notsay

I appreciate what is said here however, I had no idea that there was a site called exvegans (you mentioned that someone tweeted about this site, bringing attention to it on twitter). Do you realize that by publishing this site you’re doing something similar? I never would have known about it but now I do. And what I’ve learned is that my fiance is on there because he was quoted by a blogger on being an exvegan for incredibly understandable health reasons. This site is encouraging people to seek him out with hate. Can you please not have a link to this site? I know we’re all kindred spirits here .. or not (trolls) .. but helping a site like that be accessible in more & more places might not be a good idea. No idea how to get him off that site. Picture & residence included. And yes, I realize they ultimately are the problem & not you .. lets just not give them a mention & a link. Thanks!

I can see the point, although the site has been tweeted and mentioned on Facebook multiple times now.

30. Bruce

MMMMMmmmmmmmm boy!! Going to go to the ball game and get me an ice cold beer and a big a$$ bowl of hummus. That, to me, is summertime!

How about a tofu hot dog and a non-alcohol beer?

31. MTheads

32. George @ the High Fat hep C Di

I think veganism appeals to young females because it’s the socially acceptable form of anorexia. Then after a while the brain stops working properly and you have an emotional, rage-filled activist. Then maybe the body says “Wake Up!” by trying to kill them, and you get a balanced, meat-eating target of other veganorexic activists.
    Who else does this to their own? Islamists, that’s who.

1. Walter Bushell

Hey, many people from all religions will shun you if you leave and the polite ones will merely tell you you are going to Hell.

2. Phocion Timon

“…the brain stops working properly and you have an emotional, rage-filled activist.” Perfect. That simple statement explains many facets of vegans/vegetarians. I will be stealing this in the future.

33. Bill C.

I noticed there is only one person listed on that site from Ohio. They’d like you to believe that most vegans from Ohio remain vegans. True be told the one that they listed is/was the only vegan from Ohio and she had the good sense to change her ways.

They probably just haven’t had enough people in Ohio “out” their friends.

34. Rick

Ok, so let me understand this…..2 VEGANS, who never eat meat, are going to stop eating at Red Robin (which predominately serves meat)??? Yeah, that’ll really stick it to the folks at Red Robin.

I doubt Reb Robin is concerned.

1. Ghost

I welcome everyone to my table!

35. AndreaLynnette