Bed-Wetter Politicians Get Introduced To The Constitution

I’ve been saying since April that lockdowns are worthless and will end up doing more harm than good. I’ve also wondered (more to myself than on the blog) how all this authoritarian overreach can possibly be constitutional.

We have a constitutional right to assemble, but governors and mayors have ordered people not to assemble (unless they’re BLM protestors).  We have a constitutional right to equal protection under the law, but governors and mayors have taken it upon themselves to order some stores to close while allowing others to remain open … not to mention (again) creating different rules just for BLM protestors. There’s no clause in the Constitution that says government officials can violate any of the rights enumerated here if a scary virus starts spreading.

I didn’t go looking for this video, but since I’ve run lots of searches on coronavirus lately, it showed up in my YouTube feed. Andrew Napolitano, the retired Superior Court judge being interviewed here, has been a staunch defender of civil liberties for years, regardless of which party tries to violate those liberties. He says exactly what I’ve been thinking about all this lockdown nonsense.

But … but … the virus! It’s scary! We need to violate liberties to stop the spread!

Look, if that’s what you’re about to say, stop and think about it:  do you really want to go down that road? Because if we do, it means any time politicians want to violate our civil liberties, all they have to do is point to some threat – real, imagined, or exaggerated – and say it’s very, very dangerous, and we’re doing this to protect you. That’s how we ended up with the $#@%ing Patriot Act.

I’ve been waiting for someone to start suing the lockdown fascists for violating our constitutional rights. Well, good news: a judge in Pennsylvania ruled on one such lawsuit last week:

That’s one. I hope many, many similar lawsuits and rulings follow.

But … but … the virus! It’s scary! I don’t care about the Constitution; I want more lockdowns so I don’t catch it!

If that’s how you feel, there’s a simple solution that doesn’t require violating other people’s rights to assemble, to open or patronize a business, to travel, etc., etc.

It’s called LOCK YOURSELF DOWN AND LEAVE THE REST OF US ALONE.

If you enjoy my posts, please consider a small donation to the Fat Head Kids GoFundMe campaign.

58 thoughts on “Bed-Wetter Politicians Get Introduced To The Constitution

1. Firebird7479

Governor Wolf has doubled down. I paraphrase, “Republicans are cheering this ruling while thousands of Pennsylvanians continue to suffer.” Stats don’t back that up, Gov.

And, just to thumb his nose at the judge, he has said today that he will veto a bill that puts the decision on opening up scholastic athletic programs, etc. within the Commonwealth in the hands of the individual school districts. A bill…a law…has to be passed to tell when schools can start playing sports again?

1. Lori Miller

Gov. Wolf just got quite the smackdown from a federal judge. “…the greatest threats to our system of constitutional liberties may arise when the ends ARE laudable, when the intent IS good–especially in a time of emergency.”

“An economy is not a machine that can be shut down and restarted at will by government…the ability to support oneself is essential to free people in a free country…the ability to earn a living by pursuing one’s calling and to support oneself and one’s family is not an economic good, it is a human good.”

1. Tom Naughton Post author

Yeah, I’m sure people who have families to support don’t consider their jobs and businesses “non-essential.”

2. Nann

The problem is that the constitution is only a piece of paper if no one wants to abide by it. This is where the evil plan of the progressives worked. They took civics out of the schools they nominated USSC judges who wrote decisions that were junk… now, a lot of people don’t understand the constitution — no — they have utter contempt for it. In their eyes, it is holding them back from what they think is right. And Coronavirus is the perfect example. Convince people they will die if everyone doesn’t stay in their homes and you have the people fighting against their own rights and their fellow citizens because they think if they don’t… they will die. This is all part of Agenda 21, the plan by the liberal elite to destroy nations and have one world government. This is why I say, forget Trump. He is only a temporary measure. We have to get serious and get people in media, the schools, the universities, law schools or our country will be gone. Now that they have seen that they got away with this.. you think they won’t try again? The only thing that can slow them down is a strong result in November.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

I find a lot of people are wishy-washy about the Constitution. When it protects a right that matters to them, they want to go by the actual text. When they view it as “in the way” of progress, suddenly they’re all in favor of the “living, breathing document” nonsense.

1. Tom Welsh

Which brings us back to Roper:

Roper: So now you’d give the Devil benefit of law!
        More: Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
        Roper: I’d cut down every law in England to do that!
        More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned ’round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country’s planted thick with laws from coast to coast– man’s laws, not God’s– and if you cut them down—and you’re just the man to do it—do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I’d give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety’s sake.
        – Robert Bolt (“A Man For All Seasons”)

2. Bret

Well said, Nann. I would add that the powerful will always clip the people’s liberties one at a time in order to perpetuate their own wealth and power. The people have to fight back against this in order to preserve their freedoms.

I don’t see a whole lot of people ready & willing to fight back. Half of us seem to be completely brainwashed with bs to begin with, and the other half of us would rather not rock the boat.

It’s a big problem. I think four more years of Trump will yield us a lot of strategic progress, but it’s all for nothing if the people cannot or will not hold the government accountable for its abuses.

3. JillOz

Exactly right. Covid is the pathway to achieve A21.

If you want t defeat it in America you’re lucky – it has been removed from various councils already.
      Look up Rosa Koire and you’ll learn more.
      Australia is too far behind in that respect.

3. Kathy in OK

Is anyone discussing the fact that Trump is temporary, but RBG’s successor may well last a very long time? I’m worried that folks who have “had enough” of Trump will vote for the other side, not realizing the long term effects.

1. Rae

Believe me Kathy, after this year, there are a LOT of people who have “had enough” of the Dems too. It should be a really interesting election season to say the least…!

4. Lina

My husband git arrested down town nashville for not wanting ti show his id because he was not wearing a mask in public where there were more than a thousand people and lots did not have any mask. Funny is that they arrest him after he put the mask on his face and they were over 7 police man around him. It’s insain! I should sue the governor because he lied any way about hiw many covid-19 cases were in Nashville!

5. Kerry

Well, we’d have a better chance of changing things if we’d stop sacrificing our children to the government school system and took up the responsibility of teaching them ourselves.

6. Nikki

The restrictions that Chicago has put on restaurants are insane. I don’t know how any restaurant will be able to survive the winter unless the government steps in and pays their rent/mortgage. Which, given that the government is the reason they can’t operate profitable, they should pay the bills. I can’t believe restaurant associations have but sued yet.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

Yeah, I’m not a fan of government bailouts, but in this case my attitude is “You broke it, you pay for it.”

1. Tom Naughton Post author

Of course. But I don’t think businesses that tanked solely because of government shutdowns should be left holding the bag.

2. Tom Welsh

Actually, there is no difference. Either way, the taxpayers (the people) get the bill. People need to get it into their heads that governments have no money except what they take from people or what they print (counterfeit).

1. Bret

I agree in principle, but I’m afraid that local & state governments will not have the revenue to make this a possibility even. They have shredded their tax income by repressing economic activity. Federal largesse seems unlikely, being that the worst state- and local-level offenders have also added gas to the fire by encouraging BLM riots/looting.

This whole debacle has been a massive transfer of wealth and power from the small business folks to the already immensely rich and powerful.

7. Irma

I think people willingly gave up the right to complain about government when the Patriot Act came in.

Taking away people’s rights is a slow job that the powers that be have been chipping away at since the 1960’s. Or maybe right after WWII.

Every tragedy is just another way to get people on board with more government control. The big players scare people into believing in something that they might not otherwise have thought about; for some, government (Trump). For others, it’s science (Fauci).

The point is to narrow the focus from lot’s of different ideas, down to one for each side. It equals “us versus them” and it’s how you will get masses of people to agree to bigger military or sending people off to war. If “they” win, we will be enslaved. Therefore charge me more taxes and take my children to go fight for us.

The really rich people are getting ready to clean things up before they introduce us to their One World Order. Have you seen what’s going on in Estonia? They got 95% of the people to accept the i.d. card there. That’s the testing ground for our brave new soon-to-be-cleansed world.

And it’s way above Trump’s pay grade. Way above. Trump is the biggest anti-constitution person I’ve seen, yet he’s still in office. Because the people controlling him know that the piece of paper written many years ago was awesome for it’s time.

But it does not apply in the new world. In the new world, you have no rights. Start getting used to it.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

Trump’s not exactly a libertarian, but I haven’t seem him violate the Constitution any more than his predecessor, and he appoints judges who believe what is or isn’t considered constitutional should have some relationship with what’s actually written in the Constitution.

2. Bret

Trump’s war is against these immensely powerful forces. Otherwise distinct, they are currently allied to remove him from office & thus neutralize the threat to their globalist aims.

All of their methods for control of the world are at risk. Endless wars, endless debt, huge taxes/inflation, heavy regulation (monopolization/oligopolization/co-opting) of industry, erosion of the rights of the individual, and ever growing citizen reliance on the government for education, funding, and permission to do anything. All of the fake outrages, the overt lies, and the blatant hypocrisy over the last few years (Russian collusion bs, virus blame game, phony impeachment, Steele dossier coup attempt, etc) are signs of their desperation.

The citizens tend to think they know what is going on, but almost all of their sources of news & information are controlled by the very globalists that destroying individual freedom. In that regard, I am sadly unsurprised that despite a robust understanding of the globalist evolution & new world order, you seem to think Trump is part of that same problem, rather than fighting an unimaginably complex war of information against it.

But that is a minor point in the long run. Good or bad, Trump is temporary. Ultimately the people have got to wake up, and right now it is so hard to tell how many people know what is going on vs. how many are unwitting prisoners of The Matrix.

8. Kelly Kent

Tom, great post.
    I was thinking about this yesterday. Governments are also violating the religious clause of the first amendment. Particularly the part about free exercise.
    But I think you covered that when you mentioned assembly.
    I read all your posts and I’ve learned an awful lot about nutrition and weight loss exercise and how government wants to regulate us.
    Keep up the good work sir.

Kelly – Sherwood Ar.

9. Robert W.

Well this is off the subject of the rona but definitely applies to governors drunk on the power of executive orders. His Royal Highness King Newsom of the People’s Republic of California signed an executive order stopping the sale of gasoline powered vehicles by 2035, all in the name of stopping climate (insert catastrophe invoking word of choice). I see several problems with this. They don’t have enough electricity as it is. We see headlines like “Electric Grid Overstressed Because Temp Hit 90 Degrees.” The temp hits 90+ degrees nearly everyday here in the deep south during the summer. We don’t have “rolling blackouts.” Where are they getting the power to charge all these electric cars? Wind and solar? Second, this is all out of executive fiat. The state legislature was not involved. Although that would be a mere formality due to the fact the state legislature is full of wacko libs. All the worst covid misery was in these blue states with onerous lockdowns. Even our “Republican” governor here in Alabama put a mask order in place originally supposed to expire beginning of September, but extended to October 2nd. Hopefully it won’t be extended again. Most stores aren’t enforcing it anyway.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

I find people who feel smug driving electric cars amusing, since many of them are recharging with electricity generated from coal-burning or nuclear plants. Newsome is, of course, an idiot. Pretty much every week, he does something to assure me leaving California was the smartest move of my life.

10. Rae

I’ve tried to comment on this post a few times and I think my phone keeps eating it… so here goes again…
    This year I have unexpectedly become a lot more conservative (ish). I’m horrified by the government overreach and hypocrisy we are seeing (largely from Democrats – maybe there are some Republicans guilty of this too?). I have never been so thankful to live in a red state, where I still have freedom of assembly, religion, etc. I can’t imagine living somewhere where the government forces houses of worship to close, or makes it illegal to knock on your neighbors door (which is what the trick or treating ban in some blue places amounts to)… I feel like I’m going crazy because these things don’t seem to bother the people I know. I appreciate your blog even more now. Thanks Tom.

11. Robert W.

Governor Ron Desantis of Florida just lifted all covid restrictions from his state and forbade mayors and health departments from shutting bars and restaurants down unless they can justify to him. Hooray for freedom. And of course the bed-wetters at CNN and their medical x-spurts were preaching gloom and doom. They predictably were doing the same for Trump rallies while giving the rioters a pass. CNN is a freaking joke.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

I watched part of the roundtable discussion he conducted with experts tracking the data. I was impressed at how intelligent and articulate Desantis is, and how familiar he is with both the data and the concepts. Dude ever runs for president, he’s got my vote.

1. Firebird7479

With Kristi Noem as his running mate.

Meanwhile in New Jersey, King Murphy, father of four, dictator of millions, did a Zoom call with Fauci. Even Fauci said that he can start opening things more (I think EVERYTHING should be open). So, instead of taking Fauci’s advice, Murphy extended his Executive Powers for an 8th time and refuses to open restaurant capacities beyond 25% while neighboring states are at 60%. Politicians are receiving letters from prominent restaurateurs in this state saying that they may shut down…forever…within a week if Murphy doesn’t do something. Murphy won’t budge.

At the same time, he has announced an increase in the gas tax and tolls on the Atlantic City Expressway and Garden State Parkway to make up for the short fall in revenue. “People just aren’t driving as much because of the lockdown,” he says. No shit Dick Tracy! He shuts us down, then we pay for his decision.

IDK why the men in white lab coats don’t bust through his office and cart him off to a padded room.

2. Bret

CNN, NYT, &c. have trashed every ounce of their credibility. Anyone who isn’t a brainwashed leftist can see their tabloid nature crystal clear now.

The extreme hypocrisies pertaining to virus panic culture, as well as the simultaneous BLM narrative, took away any veil (however thin) of dignity, honesty, & competence.

The left will still cite them as “proof” of this or that bs globalist/deep state narrative, but that will be it. Just confirmation bias for intellectually useless human-bot hybrids.

12. Nikki

What I am really struggling to understand is why so many people are happy to put up with these lockdowns and mask mandates. In my town you are shamed if you don’t agree, even if you still comply. Just not agreeing is enough to be ostracized. Why are people so okay with all of this? Why does everyone think masks are effective, for example?

I’m so frustrated with everything going on that I wish I could move to a different state. But I own a non-movable business so I am stuck for at least the next several years. Meanwhile I pay $20k in property taxes and I’ll have to send my daughter to a private school if I want her to actually attend school in person. It is total insanity.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

The sheep-like compliance worries me as much as anything. It’s not just that the danger from this virus is wildly exaggerated; it’s that the authorities now know that a huge chunk of the population will obediently give up their freedoms (and rat on their neighbors) the moment the authorities say there’s a threat. This doesn’t bode well for the future.

1. Nikki

It scares me. The masks are one thing but closing businesses, schools, park districts, etc is another. I still don’t understand how this is a political issue because these mandates are hurting the lower class that Democrats say they care about more than Republicans. Yet Republicans seem all about ending the lockdowns and Democrats are all for them.

I just wonder when it will ever be enough that we can go back to really living.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

The Democrats are in favor of lockdowns because the economy was booming before coronahysteria struck. It’s rare for a president to lose a re-election bid if the economy is booming.

2. Bret

Nikki, every single thing coming out of the Democrats’ mouths (as well as their propaganda machine, the “news media”) seems to be complete doublespeak.

– Scream that racism is rampant, while promoting utterly racist policies & saying genuinely racist things (calling black conservatives “Uncle Tom,” CRT, riot excusals).
          – Insist that hate be denounced, while spewing the most extreme & unhinged hate imaginable against their enemies (hoping Trump dies of covid, calling conservatives nazis, etc).
          – Claim to be anti-war, then pitch a fit when Trump says he is going to pull us out of our wars.
          – Believe ALL women all the time under all circumstances! Except those that accuse Democrats. (paraphrased from Titania McGrath Twitter account….hilarious follow)

And the virus/lockdown culture, of course, as you articulated.

The fact that 99% of Americans do not see this crystal clear is a true testament to the power of the indoctrination cartel that calls itself news. Swing voters that went Democrat in the 2018 midterms cited Trump’s shady dealings with Russia as the primary reason (which was a complete hoax, made up as a political smear).

They are Big Brother from 1984. No consistency, no principle, no objectivity. All facts & history are produced, censored, or rewritten to push whatever narrative is convenient.

2. j

This is what happens when people lack a sense of purpose. Perhaps now they feel like they are heroes “saving the world”!
        It’s the way extremist groups all over the world are able to recruit people.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

As described by Eric Hoffer in his book “The True Believer,” which is just as relevant today as when wrote it back in the 1950s.

2. Nikki

Well, that is a scary thought because it seems extremely accurate. It blows my mind how self righteous people are about covid. There is so much bragging on the forums I use about how they haven’t left the house since March except for absolute essentials, their kids have not seen another child since then, they haven’t seen their parents or friends, yada, yada, yada. That is nothing to be bragging about, IMO.

3. Firebird7479

I go for my annual eye exam today. I have keratoconus and the masks have messed with my vision. Not only with the steam from my breath going through it and fogging up the lenses, but it distorts my peripheral vision. I’ve talked about that with one of the optometrists at my local Walmart. He has told me he thinks the masks are a joke and he said, if your eye doctor gives you a mask exemption for the KC, Walmart won’t bother you about not wearing a mask, but you’ll have issues with other customers.

1. Bret

Firebird, one of the most unbelievable parts of this pandemic culture is the complete absence of any interest in or empathy for people that can’t wear masks for health & safety reasons.

Frankly the ADA & the precedent of medical privacy should have given virtually everyone a pass to say “Nope, can’t wear a mask, I have a medical issue…what medical issue, you ask? none of your business.”

But I guess the left gets to write exceptions ad hoc. We’ll just singularly focus on the covid & pretend there are no downsides to our interventions, or just callously not care.

1. Firebird7479

I had to remove my mask several times in order to do the exam.

My eye doctor: “It’s a bad virus. It’s not the zombie apocalypse. The media should be exercising calm, and teaching people about ways to improve immune health.”

This is why I drive 45 minutes across state lines to see him.

13. CK

I live in California, and keep wondering how long Governor Gavin Newsom, can keep pushing before people start pushing back?

Back in April, Newsom threatened to extend the lockdowns if people didn’t obey. He threatened beach goeres with citations if they didn’t obey. In June, he threatened to withhold financial relief to California counties that defy his covid-19 orders. Aug., Newsom, threatens parents with penalties for hiring tutors?!?!

“At a news conference, the governor said that authority would give him leverage over those who “simply thumb their nose” at state guidelines.” “Since the state rolled out its requirement for face coverings last week, county sheriffs and local police chiefs from Orange County to Sacramento have announced that they do not plan to enforce the order. The mayor of Nevada City, in Nevada County, encouraged residents to defy the mandate to “prevent all of us from slipping down the nasty slope of tyranny.””

Now in late Sep. early Oct., Newsom, is NOT allowing Disneyland, Universal Studios, Six Flags, Knott’s Berry Farm, Sea World, Legoland and other Theme/Amusement parks in California to reopen, he won’t even set guidelines for them so that they might have an idea when they can reopen. Even though many theme /amusement parks in Florida, opened back in July, and Shanghai Disneyland and other parks in the area opened back in May, without any problems.

Bob Iger, executive chairman of the Walt Disney Company and former CEO, resigned from the California Governor Gavin Newsom’s economic recovery task force. Disney even created a commercial that takes a jab at Newsom, and a couple days later Disney made the announcement that they would be laying off 28,000 employees and in that announcement Disney takes another jab at Newsom.

Bed-wetter, is putting it mildly for this autocrat / despot / tyrant / dictator!

I can’t wait for all this to be over and we can start reading the books and watching the documentaries that sums up all of the stupidity.

1. Chris Weisdorf

That’s good news. This is GREAT news:

The decision is linked there. If you read no other judgment in your entire life, read this one. Or at least the last couple of pages.

This is not so great news:

Illinois Republican Party v. J. B. Pritzker

Amy Coney Barrett was one of the three judges who ruled in favor of the Illinois lockdown a little over a month ago. Zero press coverage of this anywhere. Judge Barrett is the only judge on the President’s list who ruled in favor of a lockdown. And she’ll almost certainly be the next Supreme Court justice.

14. Jerica

Governor Northam has had lock downs since about March and mask mandates WITH EXCEPTIONS since about late April or May and has threatened any business who doesn’t enforce them. Including the stupid *walk to your table in a restaurant with them, but then you can take them off when there*. Far too many here have taken that to mean that if you can’t wear a mask, stay home and order stuff.

Most big box stores have reduced their stupid restrictions, but smaller ones are too scared since Karens come onto their Facebook pages and start lying and making up shit about feeling unsafe because no one is wearing masks despite everyone (even me who starts panicking within minutes!) was wearing an approved covering.

I have considered making masks with pithy saying on them just to mess with people, though. Or buy Mike Rowe’s “Safety Third” one. For those times when I really need something from somewhere that requires one.

Oh! He also snuck in that red flag law or whatever gun law it was that we were just in Richmond protesting against in January. I think it went through in April? Not happy with him and there’s a petition going around to remove him from office now.

You, your brother, and a few other libertarians and low-carb followers over on Twitter have been some of the only people helping keep my sanity here.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

We’re trying to keep our sanity as well. I tend to channel my anger into creative projects. Got one coming soon.

15. Geoff

The lockdowns and mask mandates have demonstrated that they can orchestrate a brazen coup and the American public won’t do shit. Unfortunately this has probably given some nefarious people great ideas.