Recommended Books

Films can have a strong and immediate impact — Super Size Me certainly did, despite the rather large helping of bologna it served up — but they’re no substitute for reading. Read, people, read!

Here are some excellent books that may help convince you much of what you’ve been told about diets, calories, weight loss, heart disease, and saturated fat is a load of bologna.  (If you’re wondering what happened to the old book widget, it apparently is stripped out by modern browsers.)

132 thoughts on “Recommended Books

1. Morgan

One of the best books I’ve ever read on these issues is “Life Without Bread” by Christian B. Allan and Wolfgang Lutz. Doctor Atkins first published in diet book in 1972. Dr. Wolfgang Lutz is an Austrian physician who first published “Life Without Bread,” in Austria, in 1967. I understand that it has been in continuous print in German since 1967.

Life Without Bread is not strictly a “weight loss” book. Lutz does recommend a low carb diet and he offers a simple approach for managing a low-card diet through the limitation of “bread units.” The book has a chapter on weight management but the book’s emphasis is on the treatment of other disease by means of low-carbohydrate diet.

The current edition, with co-author Christian B. Allen, is the first English Language edition and appears to have considerable new information provided by Allen, who is not only the translator but a researcher in his own right. Among the many diseases which the author’s deal with is cancer. They believe that high carbohydrate diet may induce or at least contribute to cancer and they present an interesting hypothesis for why they think it does.

Lutz was born in 1913, which makes him, as of this writing, around 95 years old–living proof that, at least, a low carbohydrate diet won’t kill you.

I’ll check out “Life Without Bread.” Considering that cancer rates are very low in societies that eat a hunter-gatherer diet, I’d say Lutz and Allen have a point.

My great-grandfather was a farmer who loved his bacon and eggs, ham, steaks, etc. He lived to be 101 and was completely lucid until age 98. Guess all that animal fat didn’t hurt him any.

2. Shaun

Great Doco Tom!

I hope this makes it to you but sorry I couldn’t find another way or contacting you.

As far as I can find out you did a lot of hands on work on your doco.

So without wasting too much of time I was hoping you could steer me in the right direction as to how to go about creating a low budget film like yours? Or if it is at all possible to make one solo to this caliber? Any web links maybe?…

What inspires me about Doco’s like yours is that they carry powerful simple truths that the world should already know but due to our global culture of “money first, truth later” good information is lost in the mud.

Anyway cheers mate!

From another Kiwi
    Shaun

I was fortunate to have a sister-in-law who is a documentary filmmaker (see http://www.OutOfTheShadow.com), so I had a built-in adviser. In a nutshell, I borrowed her camera, used family and friends for cast and crew, taught myself video editing, asked my lovely and talented wife to draw graphics and characters, hired an animator when I realized I needed one, downloaded sound effects from SoundDogs.com, and worked like a madman.

I had groups of friends view early versions of the film and took their critiques seriously. I live near Hollywood, and some of them work in the biz, so their advice was welcomed. I re-edited the film several times, cut scenes that were flat, and shot new material when I came across fresh research I thought should be included.

Once the film seemed nearly right, I sent home-burned DVDs to press and bloggers who I thought might be interested … some were, many weren’t. I put clips on YouTube to generate some buzz. Then I sent emails and links to the YouTube clips to some producer’s representatives, and one ended up working with me to seek distribution.

Michael Blowhard of 2Blowhards.com just posted an interview with me about the filmmaking process. I’ll be linking to it later today.

Best of luck on your project. Mind telling me a bit about it?

3. Dana

It’s now thought that high-carb contributes to cancer in two ways. One, insulin being elevated so much encourages growth in cells that ought not to be growing. Two, most types of cancer use straight glucose for energy by fermenting it instead of turning it into ATP, and they are glucose hogs. A while back I ran across a university website where they discussed doing research about this–the hypothesis is that cancer cells are more susceptible to free radical damage than healthy cells are, so they suck up all that glucose to protect themselves from free radical damage. Weird. I don’t know where they are in that study, I should go try to dig it up again. It was the University of Iowa or Idaho, I don’t remember which.

(And this may be an explanation for why smokers taking beta carotene supplements get more lung cancer, if the hypothesis holds. Beta carotene’s an antioxidant.)

A doctor on a Jimmy Moore podcast explained that insulin is a growth hormone. If you’re an adult, it won’t make you any taller, so you’ll grow something else: love handles, a tumor, thicker arteries, skin flaps, etc.

4. Janni

Great documentary. Great researcher interviews, it was great to have the science mixed with the diet commentary. Your site is also a great resource.

Have you seen the movie Idiocracy? It is fairly entertaining because it depicts a world run by corporations and all the food is sugar based….everyone is dumb!

I’m going to be so freaking smart, it’s not even funny.

Thank you!

I did see Idiocracy. Pretty funny flick.

5. Nigel

At last! – a real film about the real politics of our food supply – very nicely done – I really liked the animations about how we get fat (and the guy from CSPI). Another book you should add to your reading list is one by an Australian – Sweet Poison. It has a good look at many of the issues you raise but pins the blame squarely on fructose. Jimmy Moore did an interview with him recently – see http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/david-gillespie-talks-sweet-poison-sugar-episode-219/

I remember Jimmy’s interview. I’ll put the book on my list.

6. Cathy Payne

All great books! (Looks like my bookshelf) Some other good reads are Lierre Keith’s “The Vegetarian Myth.” She sites Eades, Fallon, Taubes, and Enig. Also “Nourishing Traditions” by Fallon and Enig. Like a textbook/cookbook combo. Thanks for spreading the Truth about fat and cholesterol! We’ll be contacting your media person about having you interview on our Podcast show, Our Natural Life. Our audience will love you! Just ordered a copy of your film.

I’ll send you an email so you don’t have to track me down through the contacts page. Looking forward to speaking with you.

7. Lisa

Thanks for coming out with a video brilliantly illuminating what I’ve been trying to explain to my family and friends for years. I’ve encouraged them to read “Good Calories, Bad Calories” and those fabulous Weston Price brochures with little success. Alas, sugar & processed food have already taken the toll on their attention spans. . . .

Cathy’s suggestions – “The Vegetarian Myth” and “Nourishing Traditions” are spot on. The Weston Price Foundation has changed my life. Along those lines & excellent – “Full Moon Feast” by Jessica Prentice.

As if you don’t have a million other things to do, check out researcher/ former chef Matt Stone’s “180 Degree Health Blog” and podcast. (He’s put together some e-books but those aren’t free.) Just like every other thing I’ve ever read, I don’t agree 100% but I’m open to learning. Which seems to be his MO, too.

Thanks, again, for bringing the truth to light!

8. Erik "kettlebell" Petersen

Slow Burn may be appropriate for certain segments of the population some of the time, but it is certainly not the greatest thing since sliced bread. HIT is not this author’s puppy (credit Arthur Jones with that one) and to apply it correctly to make any gains (outside of perpetual newbies who are far from their genetic potential), you have to endure some PAIN! Beginner’s (those with low fitness levels) will make gains in just about any program. Hell, test a couch potato for a max squat and maybe he can do their body wt, plus 20 pounds. Have them simply walk/run 5 days a week and presto, he can now squat 50 extra pounds. The point is, there are way too many books out there and most are simply seeking to be different for the sake of it, not because it’s a better way. Life doesn’t move at a snails pace and most would be better off training for optimal movement patterns (Which get messed up on dysfunctional machines) with some speed. After all, we are still functioning best when we move as hunter/gatherer’s , not carb eating, slow movin’ grain growers! Train like an athlete and always keep a few reps in the tank.

9. Karl

I highly recommend “The Primal Blueprint” by Mark Sisson. Love the film, Tom. Great work!

I appreciate the compliment. Mark’s stuff is definitely top-notch.

10. Candace

I’d like to read every one of those books at some point in the future… the only ones I’ve been able to get hold of yet are Taubes’ and Ravnskov’s (both excellent so far).

Also I agree with the people who mentioned Fallon and Enig’s book “Nourishing Traditions”; it’s my favorite book ever, and has got to be one of the ten most important books ever published on any subject (that’s probably an understatement).

11. Mike

Hi mate,

Thank you for making such a Doco. I’ve been trying to explain some of what you had discussed in the movie to others but without any qualification or real reference I found it difficult to A: explain properly and B: be taken seriously.

So now I’m just going to show them your film. Here’s the water horsey …

Very happy to have the “cal in, cal out” myth turned over. For me, the most informative part was the explanation of how fat cells and insulin work with sugar and carbs … brilliant!

Can I ask please, is there or will there be available a full transcript of the movie? That would be invaluable. Perhaps then a subtitled version can be added for the deaf? Not to mention all that information being readily available to use.

From yet another Kiwi (New Zealander)
    Mike

I don’t believe the distributors plan to add subtitles, except for foreign (non-English-speaking) markets. Would’ve been a good idea, though.

12. Mike

Hello again,

Well as any good researcher would do, i have looked into the GCBC book of Taubes and found some interesting comments from detractors of his collated information.

This is an interesting article

If some or all of what they purport is true, then Taubes himself has done what you criticise in your doco regarding “picking out information” that suits his way of thinking.

Im not here nor there on either side of their arguments, what im concerned about is this, I really want to understand and believe and practice a certain way of lifestyle eating (im not interested in diets) so when i see a film such as yours and read a book such as Taubes THEN am confronted by detractors of the information i have just absorbed (detractors to a certain degree, they side with some of Taubes info) I therefore find myself somewhat back at square one … who to believe??

I would value your input on the above article and its cross examination of Taubes work.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Looks like this was CSPI’s response to Taubes’ article in the New York Times magazine, as opposed to GCBC, which he wrote after several more years of research. I assume by now you don’t consider CSPI any sort of objective arbiters of truth. They’re a vegetarian/vegan organization, and they’ve been leading the anti-saturated fat charge for decades. If Taubes turns out to be right, they look like the fools they are. Of course they’re going after him.

If you read the article again, you’ll see that it’s based entirely on “experts say…” as opposed to real evidence. They ran out and got interviews with people who agree with them — people who will also look like fools if Taubes is right. Fair enough. That’s what advocacy organizations do.

As to a few of their specific points:

They keep noting that we eat more and we’re fatter, so eating more has to be making us fatter, period. That fails to answer the central question: why are we eating more? Why didn’t my grandparents overeat? There was no shortage of food in the house, so what stopped them? Something has changed in our appetites. That’s what GCBC explains. As Taubes put it, saying you’re fat because you eat too much is like saying you’re an alcoholic because you drink too much … it doesn’t answer the question that actually matters, which is: why are you compelled to drink so much?

They said health authorities didn’t recommend lowfat diets as a way to lose weight. That’s hogwash. They mostly recommended lowfat diets to prevent heart disease, but I’ve seen it argued over and over that since fat has 9 calories per gram and carbs have 4, eating carbs will make you feel full faster and help you eat less. Nor did Taubes claim that we’re fat because of lowfat diets. He said we’re fat because of high-carb diets, but when people cut fat, they usually eat more carbs … which is clearly true. Lord knows I did.

They quoted Xavier Pi-Sunyer (one of the eat less, exercise more, carbs are good for you advocates) as saying insulin actually helps shut off your appetite. Now, really, ask yourself: what do people eat when they binge? Ice cream, potato chips, cookies … have you ever seen someone binge on eggs? Ever seen someone eat five pounds of cheese? Try some sausage and eggs for breakfast one morning, then try cereal and toast on another morning. Match the calories if you want. Then track how soon you’re hungry again on both days. I promise you’ll notice the difference.

They claimed we don’t know the best way to lose weight. That’s true, because there is no single best way for everyone. But it’s clear from the research that insulin-resistant people lose more weight by restricting carbs.

They also repeated their claim that the Atkins diet isn’t safe. But did you see the lecture by Chris Gardner, a vegetarian himself? He admitted that when he compared four diet groups in his study, the Atkins group lost the most weight and showed the best improvements in health markers, such as lipids and blood pressure. None of the other diets bested Atkins on ANY health marker. So much for all the danger.

Their silliest claim of all is that the Atkins diet doesn’t work because it cuts carbs. It’s the old “low-calorie diet in disguise” theory, which again fails to answer the central question: why do people spontaneously eat less when they cut their carbs? Again, that’s what GCBC answers, by explaining the biochemistry of appetite. If you eat less, it means you’re not as hungry. If you’re not as hungry, it means your cells have enough fuel. If your cells have enough fuel, it means calories are being burned instead of stored.

13. gallier2

You’re right when you say that their silliest argument is that Atkins doesn’t work. Anthony Colpo said it best at the time when he was worth listening to. Atkins doesn’t work because Atkins works.

14. Mike

Well I thank you sir for clearing that up for me.

I now have a much better understanding of both veiw points.

Here’s an interesting article i thought you may be interested in.

Its about a lady here in NZ that changed her and her familys diet from food with preservatives back to the old skool way of saturated fats and whole foods.

and here

and her website here

Again, thank you for the information. I am going forth and spreading the (full fat) word.

Mike

I remember Jimmy Moore’s interview with her. Great lady, a lot of fun to hear her speak.

15. Julia

Atkins didn’t work for me, and I stayed on induction for 6-8 weeks. I wasn’t exercising, though, maybe that’s why. I am type O blood and I feel better with meat and fats. But I didn’t lose much. I lost maybe 5 pounds and stayed sick after a while, despite eating LOTS of spinach salads, meat and cheese.

I think it was the lack of fruit that made me sick, and maybe the lack of exercise that kept me from losing. Perhaps Atkins + exercise is what I need. I may try that and see if it works.

I did a low carb, low fat, high protein diet and I lost 30 lbs (Metabolic Research Center) and spent more than $3000 in fees and supplements. It worked and worked fast. But it was miserable to live on. You had to have protein powder with artificial sweetners in it 3 times a day. Regular protein powder has too many carbs and fats for it to work. I don’t want to live on artificial food.

Even if you keep the carbs at almost zero, you will need to create a caloric deficit to lose weight. The advantage is that keeping the carbs down tends to keep the appetite under control naturally.

16. Jen

I understand the process that leads to insulin resitance and innefficient fat cells. Is there a way to reverse that process and make your fat cells efficient again?

If you avoid spiking your blood sugar by limiting your carbs, your muscles and organs can recover some sensitivity. Working out helps too. But if the beta cells in your pancreas burn out, they’re gone.

17. Jen

Can you tell if your beta cells are burned out? If so, how? Also, say your beta cells are functionally dead, how do you lose weight or maintain?

Type I diabetics have functionally dead beta cells. Best solution for is carbohydrate restriction, which reduces the need for insulin. As far as how to tell if they’re burnt out … Not sure; I suppose that would require a lab test.

18. Tracee

While most folks came to the low-carb/fat is good club by way of weight loss or diabetes, I came from another way entirely. The same high-carb/low fat diet contributing to obesity and blood sugar issues also has a negative impact on our gi tracts and our protective gut flora. It’s also contributing to auto-immune issues, autism and mental states like ADHD and Depression. Combine that with antibiotics and it’s disasterous. The following books were written for folks with gi issues and/or mental issues, but they give a mind blowing account of the role of the modern diet and feeding the wrong bacteria. “Gut and Pschology Syndrome” by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride and “Breaking the Vicious Cycle” by Elaine Gottschall are both filled with science on this. My son came out of autism three weeks into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), a grain-free, potato-free, processed anything carb-free diet that also focuses on good fats and natural foods. Many of the SCD cookbooks are gorgeous and full of grain free/whole food recipes.

Fantastic news about your son.

19. peterlepaysan

Great book list have most of them.
    I have the Cordain one as well. Interesting read but hopelessly wrong on animal/saturated fats.

Suspect it was ghost written by someone from CSPI or AHA.

The science behind his fat ideas is non existent.
    I suspect research fund protection syndrome at work here.

I know CSPI didn’t write Cordain’s book, since he’s against eating grains. CSPI can’t recommend them highly enough.

20. Dana

About testing beta cell function: If you are not presently on insulin of any type, you can simply go get your insulin tested and they will be able to tell if you’ve still got your beta cells. If some dip#$%! doctor has you on insulin shots even though you are type 2, there’s another test they do instead. I can’t remember the name of it off the top of my head but it’s mentioned in the Protein Power book. They have to be able to test beta cell function while taking into account the fact that you’re injecting insulin regularly.

I wish I were kidding about the type 2 insulin shots. On the basis that you do not have your blood sugar under control, they will prescribe such a thing. From what I understand, they don’t always test for native insulin function before prescribing thusly. That to me is irresponsible medicine and ought to get someone’s medical license yanked. If you are so far gone that your beta cells are shot, by definition you’ve got some variation of type 1, not type 2. If you’re not that far gone, your doc is putting you at much greater risk of heart disease and cancer. Not something to play around with.

21. Madeleine Fulton

Good Calories, Bad Calories was most most complete, thorough, objective, and persuasive book I have read on this subject. I highly recommend it in its entirety! Also, I have not read Dr. Eades’ literature but I love their online blog.

I would add to this list Body By Science by Doug McGuff and John Little. Really great information on exercise physiology, and what different types of exercise do to your body on a biological/cellular level.

22. Jim Madden

I have tried every diet in the world, but 6 weeks a go I bought life without bread and it has changed my life. I dropped a stone in less than 3 weeks and I have never been fitter or felt better. I was that fascinated with the book I tried to contact Wolfgang Lutz to personally thank him, unfortunately he passed away pretty much on the day I bought his book. He was 97 when he died and he was still on his own diet even in his latter years. He was not a well man himself when he started studying the carbohydrate scandal (We must all eat low fat) Well at 97 I guess he actually proved that low carb diets can give you longevity. What a man RIP

The ADA will probably say the lack of bread killed him.

23. David Eilers

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Taubes is one of my all time favorite books. I also really liked Ron Schmid’s the Untold Story of Milk, due to its focus on a single industry and how various pressures have challenged/altered that food supply chain. Nutrition and Physical Degeneration is high on my list, too, because it gives an unusual world-wide perspective and it discusses the potential generational effects of poor nutrition, something I rarely find in more recent publications.

One topic about which I’d like to learn more is the work of the New York Diet Kitchens in the late 19th and early 20th century. Doctors would write prescriptions that the NYDKs would fulfill in the form of high quality raw milk to treat various health issues (with very good success as best as I can tell). If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know!

Nutrition and Physical Degeneration had a big impact on my wife. That’s when she started finding ways to put liver, marrow, kidneys, seafood, etc. into our diets. Turns out the girls love marrow and will eat it right out of the bone. I prefer mine in a stew.

24. Lauren

I’d also recommend:

Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think by Dr. Brian Wansink

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite by David Kessler

Both are excellent books about why we eat what we do. Also, both are funny!

25. Evan

How does going with a higher protein and fat diet and lower carbohydrates affect someone with hypoglycemia, who should try to keep his blood sugar at a steady level throughout the day? Might this person require a higher amount of raw fruits, whole grains, rices and slow releasing carbs than a person who is not hypoglycemic? And what is your view of fruits? any websites or books recommended? Thanks

Hypoglycemia is often the result of eating too many carbs and provoking big insulin reactions. I limit my fruit to low-sugar fruits now and then. Humans in paleolithic times only ate fruit in season, and the fruit wasn’t engineered to be extra sweet, as fruit is now.

I’d recommend any of the books on the Recommended Reading page, and the websites on the blogroll.

26. Steve A

Another vote for Nourishing Traditions! Also … Just out recently – Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. Written with a great sense of humor, but also a good dose of (good) science for those interested in more of the theories and research pushing the lipid hypothesis further into the dust bin of history.

Great film. Thank you for making it.

Thank you for watching.

27. Mike B

You’re an idiot. Thank you for encouraging our nation to eat fast food. You’ve really left your mark in the world. How those arteries doing bud?

Yes, I’m sure telling people to give up sugar and refined carbohydrates — whether at home or at McDonald’s — has caused countless health problems.

28. Ted T

Can you post your Food Log on your site, or at least point me to it? I really enjoyed your info in a humorous delivery. Thank you and keep up the good use of your functioning brain, *wink*.

It’s on the left sidebar under Helpful Links.

29. Cowzy

um.. did someone up there say that their son “came out” of autism? What? Please explain. More info please – I am very intrigued! I really hope this is true.

I believe the symptoms went away, yes.

30. Achat jouet

I am not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this information for my mission.

31. Joe

Enjoyed the movie. I’m starting to do some research on the subject now, however I have a question. Is there a recommended amount of carb-protein-fat percentage in this diet? I would have liked to have seen this, and perhaps it is somewhere however I haven’t seen it. I plan on watching this again and reading up to get more information. Thank you!

I don’t worry about following a specific ratio day-to-day. If you eliminate or at least restrict your intake of sugars and starches and base your diet on real foods — meats, eggs, seafood, colorful vegetables, a bit of low-sugar fruit, nuts — the ratio tends to take care of itself.

32. Susan

Another great resource is the book by Alan L. Watson, “21 Days to a Healthy Heart.” It’s written in regular language and is very interesting reading. Watson exposes the flaws of several of the research studies which promote the theory that cholesterol is bad, that saturated fats cause heart disease, etc.

I haven’t heard of him. I’ll look it up.

33. Lori

I just got done watching your documentary.You said in your doc that you set yourself to low carb,100 carbs per day for yourself . Are you saying we should cut down more on bread and get carbs from veggies? You can type in “how many calories should you have” and get a reply. Carbs are different though, I found several different answers to this for myself. Is there a good book for helping to sort out this. For example should I be watching portions sizes or not really as long as I am staying within the “recommended calorie intake”?

Keep up the good work! Thank you!

Yes, replace breads and other dense starches with vegetables and keep your carb count down to the level where you can lose weight or avoid gaining. That’s an individual thing … could be 20 grams per day for some, 100 for others.

34. Luke

I am eating more fat and protein after watching your movie, seeing The Big Fat Fiasco, and reading articles online about low carb diets. My family has also watched Fat Head and are ordering 2% milk as opposed to skim.
    My only problem is that I feel like I get too full after too short a meal. Is this normal? Do you think it could be from my history where I would eat a lot more carbohydrates and that I wouldn’t feel full, so I’d eat more?

Yes, that could be it. A lot of people who go on low-carb/high-fat diets feel full on smaller meals, which is partly why it’s easier to lose weight.

35. Seth

I HIGHLY recommend Gary Taubes new book “Why We Get Fat.” It’s a condensed, updated and much easier to read version of “Good Calories Bad Calories.” GCBC is extremely long and full of necessary research but for the average person it is kind of an overload. “Why We Get Fat” is much more digestible (no pun intended). It is also available in audiobook from from audible.com (Amazon) and it’s only 8 hrs long.

36. Luke

I know this isn’t a book, but I think you should also recommend Sugar: The Bitter Truth. Robert Lustig, MD, talks a lot about sugar and how it is processed by the body. It should be recommended reading. Thanks.

Great speech. I’ve posted it on the blog before.

37. Jake

Hey Tom,

So I’ve been eating fat, like a lot of it. Since about a month and a half ago, I am down 2 belt buckle sizes….You like that. That’s two in 1 month…where before my Carb diet produced 0 results in 7 weeks of killing myself starving myself working out myself routine…..Now WTF. I’m sorry..I’ve been eating bacon and eggs….Cheese Burgers protein style (YUMMY) and Steak/pork/anything with fat and low GI veggies……AND I’m Happy(NOT DEPRESSED)…..
    Changed my life man…I don’t know why I chose to watch your movie on Netflix…but Thanks for stuffing your mouth full of Bologna and getting me to watch it!

Also! What I do with excess Fat is I keep it in a Zip lock container and then cook with it instead of oil! Although sometimes I use olive oil…I like the fat better…makes broccoli taste like bacon…haha…

Thanks Tom!

Outstanding results, Jake. Keep it up and keep us informed.

38. Dani

I’ve just gotten through “The Sugar Fix” and have to say that I’m surprised it’s on your recommended reading list. While I think that reducing fructose consumption is certainly a step in the right direction, Dr. Johnson also claims that cooking should be done in canola oil, that saturated fat clogs arteries, and that bread is healthy.

I thought the author had some valid points, and it’s not that I didn’t enjoy reading through the book, but it seems to be in contrast with some of the other books listed here.

My copy of Fathead is on its way in the mail to me from Amazon, finally (being a Canuck, it wasn’t easy to get), so I’ll get to see what all the fuss is about. I’ve just been reading the blog and checking out some of the books; “The Vegetarian Myth” was great, and GCBC is a real page-turner – I can’t believe how excited I can get over scientific studies and research. I picked up “Life Without Bread” yesterday, as well as “The Omivore’s Dilemma” and “Endgame”, both recommended in “The Vegetarian Myth.”It will be interesting to compare “The Sugar Fix” and “Life Without Bread,” I think.

“The Great Cholesterol Con” is still sitting on my bookshelf, unopened, because most of the other books are library books, so they’re taking priority right now. But I’m very excited to read that one, as well.

Thanks for all that you do.

There are, unfortunately, some doctors who fully understand the dangers of sugar, but still can’t quite let go of the Lipid Hypothesis. Even one of the early editions of Protein Power included instructions to trim away the excess saturated fats from meats.

39. John Kaye

Tom, Thanks for the good work you do. Keep pluggin. In addition to the books you suggest, and I’ve read them all. I would add:
    Cereal Killer, by A/an Watson
    Death by Super Market (new revised ed.) by Nancy DeVille
    Ignore the Awkward, by Uffe Ravnskov

40. ChadJ

Mr. Naughton, I would be curious to hear your take on the 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. Near as I can tell, he borrows quite a bit from all over. The diet he advocates seems to be entirely paleo, but with the interesting twist of a “cheat day” added in (apparently taken from Body for Life). I think the great novelty of it all is that he experimented on his own body, but I’m not convinced that all of his premises are sound. If you are familiar with his work, could you shed some light?

Thanks!

Chad Jones

I’ve read it and thought a lot of the information was interesting. I’m not sure if it all applies to the rest of us. He’s a young man who never had much of a weight problem, so a big cheat day for him may not have the same effect on a 45-year-old who’s overweight and insulin-resistant. But I totally agree that we should experiment and find what works for each of us, which is what he did.

41. Courtney

I have recently watched your movie and LOVED it! I was curious if you had ever read The Origin Diet and what your thoughts were. I picked it up at a bookstore thinking it was along the lines of the paleo diet but it seemed to be low-fat/low-carb/high-intensity workouts and I stopped reading.

I haven’t read it. Low carb and low fat together doesn’t sound like a good combination to me.

42. Charles-Andre Fortin

Hi,

I’m a fan of the low carb diet now:D Since now that I check my carb I lost weight way more easier…

But I wonder, since most my friend and family think I’m going too much at McDo… Do you know any good cooking book? But it’s have to have nutritional fact in it…

And also would you know a good book for Diabetes in french for my father?

Cookbooks: http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2011/01/07/cookbooks/

If you search for “low carb cookbook” on Amazon, you’ll find more. I’m not sure about cookbooks in French, but it doesn’t require too much familiarity with English to follow a recipe.