915 thoughts on “Fat Head Store

1. Andrew F.

Great movie! I was surprised and delighted to see the debunking of Ancel Keys, and your promotion of thincs.org and the anti-diet-heart theory books. I had a minor, stress-related heart attack at age 30, and for the next three decades my various cardiologists have been nagging me to take a statin (which I refuse to do). My total cholesterol ranges between 250-270, with HDL at 60. It’s genetic — high cholesterol runs in my family — both parents, my brother, and my aunt (a “health nut”) always had similar totals — but no one dies from heart disease. BTW, my mother is 93, while my father passed away at 92 and my aunt at 94.

2. Jon

You have saved my Life. Just would like to start off with that. Now for my question, is cheese bad for you? It doesnt fit under the Paleo diet, Id like to know how cheese and dairy is made, and more importantly, will it kick me out of ketosis???
    THANKS!

Some people have sensitivities to compounds in dairy products. Dairy products also raise insulin in some people. So it’s not a yes-or-no answer, but a matter of how well you handle them personally. I’d suggest experimenting: go without dairy, add dairy back in, see if it makes a difference either way.

No, I don’t believe cheese would kick you out of ketosis unless your protein intake goes too high. Staying in ketosis requires getting most of your calories from fat.

3. jill

hi, i have tried diet after diet, nothing worked i tried being a vegitarian and gained weight. i saw ur movie 2 days ago and im gonna try cutting out veg oil and carbs. i never tried the atkins diet because i was convinced that was not going to work i mean ur taught from a young age meats and fat are bad for you i truly thought it sounded really unhealthy. i dont just wanna lose weight i wanna keep it off i have struggled with my weight from about 13 to 30 after having my kids i went from being 20lbs over weight to 60+. i never believed in bmi because muscle weights more than fat. and when i was 16 i weight 140lbs wore a size 5/6. the doctor told me i was super morbidly obese according to my bmi. i knew i was chubby but not obese.. i always wondered why i was so heavy, im the margarine/ diet soda queen. i cut all the fat off my food buy the leanist meats, trim fat off roasts/steaks before i cook them. i only used veggie oil and i dont have a sweet tooth. but i truly thought bread was good for you and low in calories pasta too.. if this works and i lose the weight im gonna be kicking my self for all the lies i was fed as a child. two days into this diet and i cant believe how good real butter is where has it been all my life….

4. Sat Fat & Heart Disease

Here is a study from 1985 linking diet, particularly saturated fat consumption, with heart disease:

“In within-population analyses, those who died of coronary heart disease had higher Keys (P = 0.06) and modified Hegsted (P = 0.02) dietary scores than did those who did not (a high score indicates a high intake of saturated fatty acids and cholesterol and a relatively low intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids). These associations were significant (P = 0.03 for the Keys and P = 0.04 for the modified Hegsted scores) after adjustment for other risk factors for coronary heart disease. Fiber intake (P = 0.04) and a vegetable-foods score, which rose with increased intake of fiber, vegetable protein, and starch (P = 0.02), were lower among those who died from coronary heart disease, though not significantly so after adjustment for other risk factors. A higher Keys score carried an increased risk of coronary heart disease (relative risk, 1.60), and a higher fiber intake carried a decreased risk (relative risk, 0.57).

Overall, these results tend to support the hypothesis that diet is related, albeit weakly, to the development of coronary heart disease. (N Engl J Med 1985; 312:811–8.)”

Whoopie. You found one. So what?

1) Observational studies don’t tell us about cause and effect. There are too many confounding variables. In America, for example, some of the biggest sources of saturated fat are pizza, ice cream and other dairy desserts, grain-based desserts, etc. In other words, the people who eat a lot of saturated fat also eat a lot of sugar and white flour.

2) Other observational studies, including a recent large meta-analysis, showed no link between saturated fat and heart disease. If an association isn’t consistent, it’s meaningless.

3) The French and the Swiss have the highest intakes of saturated fat in the western world. They also have the first and second lowest rates of heart disease. Again, no consistency means no scientific validity.

4) In actual controlled trials — i.e., the studies that actually matter — researchers have put people on lower-fat and lower-saturated-fat diets in an attempt to lower rates of heart disease. Those trials were all failures. If saturated fat caused heart disease, those trials would have succeeded.

Bottom line: there’s nothing even remotely resembling scientific proof that saturated fat causes heart disease.

5. Stephanie

Sat Fat…perhaps you should take a beginner’s science class….Maybe “Science for Smart People?” It is free on YouTube!

6. Tracey S.

Hello Mr. Naughton,

I have recently discovered Gary Taubes and I am currently reading his book Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It. Prior to this, I have read several of his articles. It was a revelation for me. This lead me to your documentary, which was equally as eye opening. In 1988 my father died of a heart attack at age 44. I now believe that metabolic syndrome and smoking were what lead to his death. I am a 41 year old female, 5′ 6″ and weigh 205 lbs. I have been trying to lose weight for the last 15 years, at times succeeding at losing at least 20lbs and then gaining it back. I have always felt that I, and my doctors for that matter, were missing something. I kept getting the “eat less and exercise more” advice. I had friends say to me “you are so active you should weigh 90lbs!” 90lbs is certainly not my goal, but a healthy 140 would be realistic. The most success I have had in losing weight has come with eliminating carbs (sugar, bread, grains) from my diet. Of course once I started eating that stuff the weight came right back, quickly! With advocates like yourself and Gary Taubes I have finally realized that eradicating sugar, grains, pasta, etc. from my diet is the correct and scientifically sensible way to live. I’ve only just started this week, but I have no doubt that I will be successful at this.

I’m so angry that the government, doctors, some researchers continue to push the low fat, whole grain diet and I will continue to spread the word about Mr. Taubes work and your film. By the way, if my children (11 & 9) are ever required to watch Super Size me in school, you can be sure I will be waging the battle for them to also be required to watch Fat Head. Now, I’m off to have some eggs for breakfast (I’m out of bacon!)

Thank you again.

PS: Just another article on how the “healthy” diet sold to us has effected children:

The rise in diabetes among kids and teens is criminal.

You kids probably will be required to watch Super Size Me. I hope your battle to get Fat Head shown as well is a success.

7. Gabriel

Hey Tom, I was wondering what your thoughts are on bacon.

I personally love the stuff, but after doing some reading it appears it “may” cause cancer.

I believe it has been under scrutiny since the 70’s over the whole nitrates/nitrites thing. Also it apparently produces nitrosamine when cooked (specifically overcooked) which is a carcinogen. Often orange juice is mentioned as a solution because of its anti-oxidants, but even if that is a fix, is there even any merit behind the whole cancer thing?

Now while I doubt the FDA or the USDA would allow the sale of a known cancer causing food, I cannot help but be suspicious, as they [rightfully] allow the sale of many foods that are bad for health.

Also does it raise or lower HDL / LDL?

It might be just vegan/vegetarian spin to make another fatty animal food look unhealthy, but I was wondering if you had an opinion on it.

The notion that bacon causes cancer is based on weak observational studies. I wouldn’t worry about it. The fat in bacon will likely raise your HDL. Switching to more fat and fewer refined carbohydrates in the diet generally produces more of the large, fluffy variety, which is good for you.

Enjoy your bacon.

8. Michelle

Gabriel asked earlier about bacon. The nitrate/nitrite thing actually has something to it – nitrosamines are formed during the cooking process when nitrates/nitrites combine with amines occurring naturally in meat. These compounds have been statistically linked with an increased risk for certain cancers, most notably pancreatic cancer. (This is why you hear a lot about tobacco-specific nitrosamines [TSNAs] in cigarettes and other tobacco products). If you eat bacon occasionally I wouldn’t worry about it.

If you consume a lot of bacon and have other risk factors for pancreatic cancer (another diet-related risk is high sugar consumption), then you can consider getting one of the many brands of nitrate/nitrite-free bacon. I like Applegate Farms. There should be at least a few brands without these compounds at your local grocery store.

As you know, I’m not convinced by “raises your risk” numbers from observational studies. Too many other variables can skew the results … such as, did the people who ate a lot of bacon have worse health habits in general? (Since bacon has been portrayed as a heart-stopper, health-conscious people are likely to eat less of it.) What was the relative risk versus the absolute risk?

Since I eat what I consider an anti-cancer diet generally, I don’t worry about a small, potential increase in “risk” from eating bacon.

9. jill

hey its been like 3 weeks i lost 18 lbs… feeling fuller than i ever did. and feel great about my self for the first time in a long time

10. LeeAnn

Tom, I am so excited and I have to tell someone this; however, most of my friends question my sanity when I tell them of my diet.

In 2010, as a 43 year old single mother, I was trying to get healthy. I went low fat/high carb, eating hearthealthywholegrains such as quinoa and brown rice. Whole wheat pasta was a quick and easy dinner option. I was eating every 1 1/2-2 hours, thinking that was boosting my metabolism. I was waking up at 4:30 in the morning to run 4-6 miles a day, 5 days a week. My total cholesteral was 133, HDL 61, LDL 61, triglycerides 54. Very respectable numbers…..

Fast forward 2 years….I saw Fathead in December of last year, and it simply made sense. So, in January, I decided to change my eating to high fat/protein, no wheat, no processed carb, no unnatural sugars. I exchanged waking up early to staying in bed and ‘snuggling’ with my child. I went to my doctor for a routine physical, and told him of my eating. He didn’t say much to disuade my dietary choice, but he was the type to say, “Let’s let the numbers speak for themselves”. Well, my total cholesteral was 128. My HDL went to 80, and LDL went to 39. My triglycerides were 43. I eat when I’m hungry, which might be 5-6 hours between meals. I exercise by playing with my son; yesterday we went on a 2 mile hike. The 7 year old boy kept wanting to rest, complaining his legs hurt, as I’m walking up the hills….

All my doctor could say was, “Keep up the good work”…Yup…plan to…

Outstanding results!

11. This is a Terrible Site

“Whoopie! You found one [medical study linking sat fat and heart disease].” Yes, that would contradict your first “fact” on this page. Nothing ever “proves” anything in science, only lends weight to theories. So I would say that this is an extremely disingenuous presentation, where you’re just sarcastically disregarding anything that suggests what you don’t want to hear.

No, I’m sarcastically disregarding observational studies that aren’t consistent with what other observational studies show. According to Dr. John Ioaniddis, who has made a career of studying studies, 80% of the conclusions drawn from observational studies have turned out to be wrong. The Cochrane Collaboration did a meta-analysis of observational studies on saturated fat and heart disease and concluded there’s no consistent link. In some of the observational studies, saturated fat was correlated with a LOWER rate of heart disease. In science, if the evidence supporting your hypothesis isn’t consistent, you’re supposed to conclude that your hypothesis is probably wrong. So cherry-picking an observational study where a link was found and ignoring the studies where a link wasn’t found (or the correlation was negative) is what’s disingenuous.

12. Rick

Tom,

Just finished watching “Fat Head”. Loved it, and it was a real eye-opener. Loved all the common sense that it showed. I also just went back and re-watched “Super Size Me”. I found it almost startling! Consistently he points to studies linking fast food to different health problems, but when the experts he speaks to are shown, they seem to mention sugar content more than fat content, which Spurlock (convientiently) seems to ignore. Moreover, when they show his “numbers” on paper, its a only a quick shot. If you freeze on the image of his numbers, you’ll see that his “dangerously high” cholesterol level was actually a level close to yours when you started your experiment. His LDL was great (according to the facts given in your film). His HDL? (Convieniently) not visable. I have no faith in his “main” physician either. “Will you gain weight? You probably will. Will you feel sick? You probably will…I don’t know”. Well gee, thanks doc, your stellar medical opinion is something else I could have recieved over the counter at McDonald’s! I also question why the Haelth Center closed, that’s never explained in Spurlock’s film. Just as an added bonus at the end of the film, the “Big Mac” guy is shown, and they display his cholesterol level being at a great level, with the comment “he seldomn eats the fries” (a fact that don’t mention when they first show him). So, it’s interesting to think that, at various points in his film, he proves your point for you! I look forward to more from you 😀

I also wondered why he seemed to contradict himself at various points. Interviewing the healthy guy who lives on Big Macs seemed to undermine his whole premise.

13. FatLvr

So the Asian Indeans factoid might be related to genetics???

Sure, we always have to consider genetics. Keep in mind, however, it’s the vegetarian Indians who have higher rates of heart disease than the meat-eaters, so even with the same genetics we don’t see vegetarianism saving them from the disease.

14. Bram Hengeveld

As the saying goes: ‘A statement of fact cannot be insolent’. These facts need references!

Many are in the books I recommend and I’ve posted quite a few references in blog posts.

15. Hilary

Hi,

I recently read Gary Taubes book, “why we get fat.” I am 5’3″ and before I started the low carb diet I weighed 130 pounds (I know some people are rolling their eyes now, but I really wanted to lose those last 15 pounds and get to my personal weight goal that I have NEVER been able to attain previously.) I’m frustrated because I gained 8 pounds on this diet, and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I almost wish I hadn’t started it because I was maintaining okay on my previous low fat diet. On a typical day, this is what I eat:
    breakfast: sausage egg cheese biscuit (minus the biscuit) from mcdonalds, and iced coffee with no sugar
    lunch: bacon cheese burger with lettuce, tomato, green pepper, onion (minus the bun)
    snack: 4 oz cheese
    dinner: 2 chicken thighs and 1/2 cup of broccoli
    dessert: 2 cups chocolate no sugar ice cream

can you provide any insight into what I’m doing wrong?

the other frustrating thing about this diet is that most of the medical community doesn’t understand it or believe in it (I know because I am part of that community as a physician assistant). This means I can’t find a physician to help me with this diet.

Any information would be appreciated.

I’d start by dumping the no-sugar ice cream. The sugar alcohols they use in those do raise blood sugar in some people. Make sure you’re getting enough fat and not over-consuming protein, which will also prevent fat-burning in some people.

Also, don’t worry so much about what the scale says. It’s possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, so check if your clothes are looser.

16. T. Hunko

@ Hilary:

“I’m frustrated because I gained 8 pounds on this diet, and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. […] On a typical day, this is what I eat:
    snack: 4 oz cheese
    dinner: 2 chicken thighs and 1/2 cup of broccoli
    dessert: 2 cups chocolate no sugar ice cream”

Try raw juices, and cut your meat consumption way down. I love it when dipshit here tells you to “make sure you’re getting enough fat” when all of what you’re eating is sausage, cheese, and burgers! ha ha Might have something to do with the weight gain.

The “dipshit” lost 12 pounds in 28 days eating sausage, cheese and burgers — a diet that was 55% fat by calories. Fat doesn’t make you fat unless you mix it with carbohydrates that drive up your insulin and signal your body to store the fat. But “no sugar” ice cream can.

The “dipshit” also tried a raw juice diet back in his vegetarian phase and didn’t lose fat, but did lose muscle.

17. Carlito DeGuzman

Great documentary, a job well done! I only wish more people would pay attention to the message this brings because i think it’s important to everyones health. I was introduced to the whole myth about saturated fat by Dr. Joel Wallach’s tapes and lectures back in highschool (1997), and a big chunk of what he’s been preaching for so many years is supported by this film. It’s a shame people havent caught on. Hopefully more people will catch on, especially now that it’s on Netflix.
    It’s been inspiring for me and am now incorporating this diet into my “bodybuilding” regimine. If my results are great, i’ll send pictures lol. So far so good though. I’ve been eating anywhere from at least 6-10 whole eggs every day and happy with the results it’s been giving me. Going to the gym and doing light cardio, I’m still building muscle and clearly losing fat!

18. T. Barkinson

Fatty, please don’t take this the wrong way, but you do not look healthy. You also need to stop promoting this destructive nonsense. I am a ten-year vegan who relies heavily on raw fruit and vegetable juices, and I look younger than my age, my skin especially, and generally feel energetic. The key here is that I tried exactly what you are promoting in this video back in my teen years, eating fast food and doing the no-carb thing, and I felt like you look: shitty. It would cause fairly rapid weight loss for a couple of weeks, but I felt completely unsatisfied and my health gradually fell apart. It wasn’t until I switched to raw juices that I started making a recovery, lost about twenty-five pounds, and gained a much more positive attitude, which something you really need to think about striving for. Good luck, and seriously, you’re gonna kill yourself with this diet.

Vegan troll, please don’t take this the wrong way, but only an idiot would criticize my diet based on how I looked BEFORE I adopted it. If you check pictures from the blog over the past year or so, you’ll see I’m far leaner than when I made Fat Head. My waist is four inches smaller. I’m 53, but when I tell that to people who don’t know me, they think I’m kidding.

I don’t promote eating fast food, and I made that clear in Fat Head.

I tried juicing and all that Fit For Life nonsense back in my 30s, and the result was wild swings in blood sugar and periods of exhaustion. I’ve now been on the diet I recommend for three years and I’ve never been leaner or healthier as an adult. If you search the blog for my Letters From Viewers posts, you’ll also see some astounding before-and-after pictures from people who’ve taken my advice — including letters from people whose health was awful when they were on your preferred vegan diet.

19. Real Common Sense

The entire premise of Fat Head is endorsing common sense into meals with mathematical caloric intake. You’ve discovered a gimmicky way to lose weight, which works, but by no means is this a healthy way to lose weight. By cutting carbs, your body will burn fat but cause fatigue in the process. In addition, adding all those excess fats will raise cholesterol, which indefinitely raises the risk for a heart attack by damaging cells to reduce plaque.

If the rest of your lifestyle habits are healthy, yes, your risk for cancer will be low, but ultimately genetics will be the determination of that. The only variables you include in Fat Head are synonymous with fat, but you neglect any true values to overall health. It is likely, your immune system is compromised by stimulating immune responses to your food intake. Your diet is vitamin deficit which will overwork organs and lacking in antioxidants to subdue the vast amount of toxins undoubtedly consumed by eating pesticide, antibiotic fast food. Cooked foods are good sources for tasty food when consumed as less than 50% of your diet.

Most importantly, you troll on vegans by insinuating they are skinny and muscle deficient.There are vegans who have over juiced and neglected protein dense plant super foods. Balance is the key, if your aiming for optimum nutrition then your diet is not the way to go.

Ultimately, it’s sad to see yet another American undermine the importance of nutrition by trying to take short cuts. You’ll see results in fat loss but don’t expect the same results to your health as you begin to enter your senior years. Your pretentious attitude makes me laugh, you don’t look young, you look like a typical 53 yr. old American.

I’ve been on a low-carb diet for more than three years now. I not only haven’t experienced that fatigue you predict, my energy level has never been more consistently high. Lots of people feel fatigued when they first go low-carb, but that’s because their bodies have been conditioned to burn glucose as the primary fuel and they need time to adapt to burning fat as the primary fuel. Once they make that switch, they usually feel great and are able to go for many hours without eating while still feeling alert and energetic, as I am.

In clinical studies of low-carb vs. low-fat diets, the low-carb diet produced the greatest improvements in metabolic markers, including those associated with heart disease. Yes, your cholesterol may go up a bit (mine went down), but the LDL shifts from a small, dense pattern to a large, fluffy pattern. Triglycerides (the single best predictor of heart disease) plummet. That’s a huge improvement in cardiovascular risk.

I don’t “troll on vegans.” They troll my blog. I never bother visiting theirs. I don’t care what they choose to eat.

I don’t need sugar and grains to achieve “balance” any more than I need cocaine to achieve balance. Humans lived without sugar and grains for more than 99% of their time on earth. Those are the foods that throw us out of balance.

20. loch_ness

This is probably my own fault but I watched Fat Head and Forks over knives today. I probably should not have done this in the same day. I thought this would be a good way to be informed. I am now more confused than ever on where to begin. I believe that our bodies need protein, and animal fat. I completely agree with a lot in your documentary. But, at the same time some of the bad book reviews on the Power Protein plan seemed a little scary. Also, I wasn’t sure if there is more evidence to back up the studies on cancers that were in the documentary.

P.S. I should say I do have a rare enzyme deficiency (Fabry’s) that makes it harder for my body to break down proteins. I would consult a physician but I’m pretty sure most would tell me not to eat a higher in fat, and protein diet.

The cancer studies in Forks Over Knives were 1) observational studies (and therefore not worth much), and 2) cherry-picked by the vegan zealots.

This analysis by Denise Minger may clear up some of the confusion for you:

21. loch_ness

I noticed that I should specify that the cancer studies I was referring to were the ones in Forks over knives. I want to make sure they are not some random sampling.

22. Troy Wynn

I train and train others using high intensity continuous training (HICT). I went on a low carb high fat diet and will not change, unless science dictates. Our program is performance based, which allows us to measure fitness capacity to perform work at high intensities. We crank you up. My performance gains have been quite good since adopting a low carb high fat diet. My energy is consistent. Don’t remember the last time I had that 3pm crash. Also, I am certain that I have very little, if any inflammation, which is apparent when I train. I see it in others who fall off of their low carb nutrition. Aches, pains, and stuggles through the workouts. Inflammation, even slight, will hinder your human performance in my opinion

I was concerned about loosing muscle glycogen, but as Dr. Stephen Phinney points out, once you adapt, it’s not a problem. It’s pretty cool knowing that my body burns fat for energy. I am now quite lean compared to where I was pre Low carb. Have a nice day all!

23. Crystal

Just a note for the person above who stated she ate no sugar added ice cream. I think this is one common mistake – milk has sugar in it naturally… so technically the only thing they do (or don’t do) is add more “sugar” (just fake sugar)… so it is possible that the no sugar added icecream has quite a few carbs from the milk (aside from the fake carbs) – this can be even more true the less fat that there is in the product as well (many low carbers make their own using real cream since it tends to have less carbs per cup than say skim). And of course many a person has stated that the alternative/fake sugars stall weight loss as you stated.

24. Tom D.

I randomly stumbled upon Fat Head over two years ago and my understanding of heart heath was turned upside down. Ever since, I’ve been transfixed on how seemingly highly intelligent professionals can draw two completely different conclusions on the cause and treatment of heart disease. I’ve watched the youtube clip of Gary Taubes challenging Dean Ornish on Charlie Rose in 2002 after his NYT article came out, which I assume was the spark of Fat Head. This panel discussion frames the debate better than anything I’ve seen or heard (interestingly, Dean Ornish agreed with Taubes 100%, expect a high fat diet “mortgaged your health” causing heart disease).

I few months ago I attended a free presentation on cholesterol and I was relived to get a refresher on the perils of small particle size LDL, told total cholesterol did not really matter, cholesterol is a good thing, high total LDL was not necessarily bad and having high triglycerides was more of a predictor of heart disease. However, the role of saturated fat played in all this was mysteriously left out. So I asked simply, what types of foods cause an increase in small particle size LDL in the blood, expecting to hear sugars and refined carbohydrates as a response. However, I was told the SAD diet and saturated fat was the culprit. It turns out the presentation was a pitch for a whole foods plant based diet, and even the film Forks Over Knives was recommended.

I had to turn off Forks Over Knives (I did read Denis Minger analysis though) and I just watched “Fork Over Knives – Panel Discussion” on youtube where David M. Eisenberg in 2011 tells us how many Harvard MDs he has and says “if we ate predominately plants and a lot less animal fat or saturated fat, there is no controversy that it would reduce CVD.”

What is going on? Is there a deliberate avoidance in the main steam medical community to not even mention the conflicting data on Saturated Fat (yum, yum)? When will the 1984 NHLBI cholesterol program be unanimously denounced ? When will the heart healthy logo be removed from cereal boxes? When will a low-fat diet and drugs not be the recommendation for someone with high cholesterol? Hats off Mr. Naughton, for making this film.

The Forks Over Knives people are, of course, vegan zealots. They’ll always cherry-pick the evidence that supports their all-holy “plant-based diet” and conveniently ignore the robustly healthy populations that lived on all-meat and all-fish diets. At least the nutrition folks at Harvard have admitted the anti-fat hysteria was misguided. It’s a start.

25. Jennifer

Thanks for the best 3 days of anatomy class I ever could’ve wished for. Every time someone on facebook or any other website makes a comment about fast foods and getting fat I just comment with a link to your website.

26. Ray

I just finished watching Fat Head and thought it was very informative. Having just returned from my weekly trip to the grocery store, I realized that a good majority of what I bought was manufactured food with lots of carbs and low in fat. It’s no wonder that I can’t seem to get very far on a diet. Food created in a lab by scientists has turned us all into test subjects and we shouldn’t be all that surprised by the results. Mother nature probably does know what she’s doing and I think it’s time that I re-evaluate my diet. Thanks!

27. Nathan

I just wanted to share that when I first saw your documentary I was 250lbs. and was nearly diabetic. You inspired me to try things your way and I used your Fat Head diet. After eight months I am at 168 lbs., my blood sugar is excellent, as is frankly everything else. I have never been healthier and just wanted to thank you.

Outstanding!

28. Michael

Hey, Great movie, I am now losing weight like crazy, I have one question, What is your take on Cheat days?
    I hear it actually can help you lose weight having at least one a week. But im not sure what to believe, will you help me ?

That seems to help some people. I haven’t noticed any difference. One warning: Dr. Davis (author of Wheat Belly) says that when you fill up on wheat, you produce small LDL for 4-6 days after. So if you cheat, don’t make it with wheat.

29. Alex

I have one problem with this documentary and Tom Naughton. Here it goes, have you considered creating a contest which gives a fan the opportunity to meet you?

YOURE FREAKING AWESOME!

Results in: After 3 months of saturated fat pig out, my doctor says: your cholesterol is fine.

Outstanding.

Lots of people have met me on the low-carb cruises.

30. Dawn

Thanks to Fathead, I was finally able to convince my husband that high fat/low carb is not just a fad for losing weight, but the healthiest way to eat–for life. After we watched it, he threw out the margarine and oils he had previously thought were a healthier choice than butter. He has also stopped worrying that all the eggs we’re eating will give us heart attacks.

Outstanding.

31. Liz B.

I love your documentary. I watched “Super Size Me” on HBO On Demand one day out of curiosity and boredom. I found his methodology to be slightly ridiculous — it’s obvious to anyone that if you consume large amounts of fries and sugary sodas, you’re going to gain weight and be lethargic.

So after finding and watching “Fat Head” on Netflix during my documentary binge, I was pleased to finally hear a viewpoint that made sense. I gained my ‘college 10’ after subsisting on Ramen and Spaghettios for a couple years, despite being under 1500 calories a day. My husband is chronically overweight (gained back the 120 lbs. he lost after a mega-diet for a year) and this explained much of his trouble.

Now I finally cracked down and started limiting myself to 100-150g of carbs a day. In the past 4 weeks, I have dropped at least 2 pant sizes and feel healthier. I was having trouble losing my post-baby weight from our new addition in January, but I haven’t bothered to put new batteries in our scale because I can see the results already — and somewhat on my husband, though he is having a more difficult time avoiding the sweets.

I hope this documentary becomes more popular. I keep suggesting it every time I join in on a discussion about HFCS, vegetarianism, or carbs in general. I also recommend it to all my friends and family who mention dieting woes; there are some tough-to-crack non-believers but now that more publications are displaying the same data you came up with via common sense, I’m sure they will hop on board.

There needs to be a concerted effort to disseminate some of the information in your film, particularly the history of the political sham that resulted in our current governmental nutritional guidelines. Until then, I will continue spreading the word and give you thanks for making this film so I, and others, can benefit from the healthful results of following your advice.

Thank you. Word-of-mouth marketing has been important for the film.

32. Daisy

I’m always annoyed by the comments of those who decide to pigeonhole. Because you are pro-meat, you must be an anti-vegetable, anti-fiber slaughter longer who tosses calorie cares to the wind. What I learned from your film (and from Taubes’ book, as well as a lot of AMAZING INFORMATION from ‘The Obesity Myth’ by Paul Campos) were these:

First and foremost: Don’t eat everything they feed you – literally and metaphorically. Just because some government agency says something is good for you, doesn’t mean it is. Basically if it is a person or organization comprised of anagrams (USA, USDA, EPA, MD, PhD, FDA, etc…), question what they tell you, see who is paying them, and make decisions for yourself.

You never recommended an all fast-food diet. Just like your doc said, you made your point. Then you went back to eating the stuff like the rest of us do – occasionally. And though you made it clear that you weren’t going to eat salads the whole time, there was a fair bit of salad in your food logs. That doesn’t make you a hypocrite, just somebody who has a functioning brain – we all need bowel movements…

The point I’m most thankful for from your film is this: You informed me, not how to lose weight (See above mentioned book ‘The Obesity Myth’), but rather something much more valuable – How Not To Get Diabetes!! The fact that you lost weight on the Paleo diet is a bonus for your self-esteem, which is huge. But the main thing for those of us who are not huge but just not skinny (like the former you and like me) is that we don’t have to feel guilty over our weight like it’s some personal failing on our part that we don’t have the psychosis, er, willpower to be anorexic. What we can do is eat well, actually Feed our Bodies, and be active and thereby stave off the very prognoses that MDs are swearing will follow me to an early grave if I’m not a size 4.

I like how people who hear about low-carb, hi-sat. fat diets assume that you pay no attention to calories. Watch the film. You did monitor your calories. And created even more of a calorie deficit by walking miles and miles per week. You certainly weren’t starving yourself, and I imagine that the same amount of calorie-deficit wouldn’t have had the success it did had those calories been high-carb. Like you said, and Taubes, and Campos, studies show that calories-in calories-out isn’t an exact science. Different people burn at different rates. And as we know just from campfires, different woods at different sizes burn more quickly or more slowly than others.

Anyway, my main purpose is to say, Job well done. And, yeah, don’t argue with idiots. And if you haven’t read Campos’ book, it’s totally time.

Thanks!

Thank you.

33. Michelle

Wow, I’m shocked at the responses from some of the vegetarians – totally inappropriate behavior in my opinion. I watched part of the movie today and will watch the rest later after kids are in bed. To start, I am a vegetarian but I am not in any way trying to impose my diet on anyone (I feed my husband and kids meat all the time), I just have never liked meat a lot and found this diet to work for me. I do eat eggs and yogurt because I think we all need a little bit of animal products in our diet. I am always trying to keep up with the newest advice on diet and am curious about any way to be healthier. I try to eat mostly fruits and vegetables and very little whole grains, nuts, beans, tofu, eggs and yogurt. I guess my questions are if in the movie, they stated that cholesterol doesn’t matter, why are people even taking them and using them to prove this diet is healthy? My HDL is 90, but according to this documentary it shouldn’t even matter so how can I compare it to anyone else? What are we supposed to be looking at to determine if we are healthy? I’m just trying to find out the best information and am skeptical of everyone anymore because it seems like everyone is trying to sell a book or movie, so I’m definitely the type that likes to just look at people around me to determine what is healthy and what is not. Thanks for any information you can give me.

Cholesterol doesn’t cause heart disease, but certain lipid numbers can serve as a marker for cardiovascular health. We know that high HDL doesn’t prevent heart disease in and of itself because drugs that raised HDL quite high did nothing to reduce rates of heart disease. However, high HDL and low triglycerides are indicators for large, fluffy LDL — the kind that’s beneficial. It’s small, dense LDL that appears to get trapped in the walls of the arteries and become oxidized. So total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol numbers are pretty much worthless for predicting heart disease because they tell us nothing about the particle size.

34. Clay Shane

Loved the movie. It had about the same effect on me that seing the first Matrix movie did. “Whoah.” After reading the Primal Blueprint, I had already begun to believe a lot of what I was seeing in Fat Head. One of the best things about Fat Head was that it took some of the big word processes from Primal Blueprint and broke them down into an easy to understand visual picture. I REALLY appreciated that part.

The real “Whoah” part came from the role the government/USDA play in the whole fattening of America. Honestly, it is pretty terrifying. If they are going to lead us down THIS rabbit hole in regards to our health, what else are they just plain wrong about? It is scary to think about. I could probably ramble on for a bit about how if the American people really understood the truth about our diet, how the ripple effect would affect our economy from the fast food industry through the grocery store aisles (imagine if people stopped buying everything in the middle of the store?) to the farmers who grown the grains (not eating this stuff would free a lot of it up for biofuel, no?). But seriously, scary stuff.

The other effect your movie had on me is that I want to start digging for my own answers. While I think the books you recommend are a good start, everyone seems to have their own agenda when publishing stuff or making movies (no offense). I am ready to stop blindly following whatever SEEMS to make sense at the time and find my own answers the way you have.

Thanks for the great movie and presenting it in an easily digestible format.

That’s the right attitude to take into your personal research. Always question what you’re told and what you read.

35. Adam

Loved the film. I was on a low fat diet once and had to give it up as I was always drained of energy and found my self coming home from work and just falling asleep. But this film has really opened my eyes and I now feel that I can now loose a bit a weight with out really giving the things that I like. My biggest problem is fizzy drinks. as I cannot drink any diet drinks as I am allergic to aspartame (a sweetener that is in all and I mean all diet drinks) Do you think drinking small amounts of sugary drinks would make a massive difference ? Say like one can a day with my lunch.

Thanks

36. Elwin Ransom

To Adam: aspartame isn’t in all carbonated beverages.

Diet Rite products use sucralose (Splenda), and along with Pepsi One (Splenda), there is also a Diet Coke version made with Splenda.
    And ‘Zevia’ brand drinks are sweetened with Stevia. (You can usually find that brand at health food stores.)

So you do have options.

37. Michelle

Thanks for your previous response. So I have a triglyceride number of 35 – that’s good correct? After watching the rest of the movie, I guess I didn’t realize that it was mostly attacking low fat diets, not necessarily vegetarian diets. I think everyone knows that low fat diets are not good for health. Most vegetarians do not eat low fat diets (I eat tons of fat in nuts, olive oil and coconut oil) so that may be why my levels are so good. Thanks again for the info.

Triglycerides of 35 is excellent. I hope your HDL is high, too.

I wish everyone knew lowfat diets aren’t good, but take a look at the health section in your newspaper or a magazine.

38. Dave Kawamoto

I did not see in your reviews section the podcast ‘The Latest in Paleo’. On the second podcast, he compliments your movie.

I haven’t heard it, but I’ll look for it.

39. Chris

Hi Tom,

You may have seen this, but I am passing along a newly published study equating the effects of egg yolk consumption to that of smoking.

I have to say, when I saw the headline, I did get a bit nervous. My egg consumption per week is pretty high.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Thoughts probably coming later this week. Zoe Harcombe already had a pretty good whack at it.

40. Michelle Malin

Hi Tom,
    I watched your movie Fat Head about 2 months ago after being referred to it by one of my massage clients. It has completely changed my views on grains, fat, and cholesterol. My parents had recently both been diagnosed with high cholesterol and prescribed medication, but not advised to take a look at or change their diet. Fortunately my parents are smart people, and they researched the medication and decided it would do them more harm than good. My mother then watched your movie at my request and she was just as emotionally charged as I was about it. I am currently reading up on and integrating the Paleo diet into my family. Thank you so much for putting the time and effort into creating this film. I tell anyone who will listen to me about. Keep up the good work.
    Michelle

I’m delighted to hear you and your mom are making positive changes.

41. Ron

Very good documentary, Tom. I hope you will get recognized for your effort to keep this society sane. It is a real hurdle to buy a whole milk yogurt nowadays for my kids.

Most of those lipid hypothesis loonies were probably breast fed and 23% of all fat in breast milk comes as saturated fat. They can cheat the gullible Americans but they cannot cheat the Mother Nature.

Keep looking. My wife found full-fat Greek yogurt at our local Kroger.

42. Jerry Jenkins

This is probably the worst research I have ever seen in my life on the food log it shows that iced tea and coffee have 0 calories and 0 carbs. Carbs are simply sugars, so he’s trying to tell us mcdonalds tea is equivalent to water when in fact it has some kind of carbs due to the fact that carbs are sugars. This is entirely inaccurate false info. He also says he kept his carbs to 100 grams a day but your carb intake should make up 45-65% of your daily calories intake which on a 2000 calories diet like he did should’ve been around 225-325 grams a day. That’s based on a healthy diet. With all of this info coming directly from a very experienced nutrition professor.

“Very experienced nutrition professors” have been giving us the wrong information for years now. Most college nutrition departments were founded and funded by bid food companies.

How exactly does a sugar-free coffee or iced tea have “some kind of carbs”? Did a very experienced nutrition professor tell you that? And how do you know we “should” live on a diet of 45%-65% carbs? How did my Irish ancestors get all those carbs in the winter before the advent of agriculture? What were their sources of carbohydrates?

43. Jerry Jenkins

Also the Atkins Diet is a disaster! It leads to burning fats inefficiently producing ketones which can lead to ketosis. So on that note I appreciated your “100% Bologna Facts ”

Ketones are produced when you burn fat EFFICIENTLY. And yes, it leads to ketosis, which is exactly what we want.

44. Jerry Jenkins

No ketones are formed while burning fat INEFFICIENTLY.

[Where are you getting this nonsense? Ketones are formed when we burn fat for fuel, then the ketones themselves become a source of fuel.]

Ketosis depletes the liver of its glycogen storage which is where the energy comes from to perform normal bodily functions.

[Depleting your glycogen stores is beneficial. It increases insulin sensitivity and trains your body to burn fat as the primary fuel instead of relying on constant infusions of glucose. That’s exactly what people who need to lose weight should do.]

Ketosis often times leads to mental instability due to your brain needing glycogen for energy.

[Yeah, that’s why I manage to work as a software programmer, compose music, do research and write blog posts on scientific subjects, give speeches, and do the occasional standup comedy show. It’s all that mental instability from using ketones. If anything leads to mental instability, it’s taking your blood sugar on a daily roller-coaster ride by living on carbohydrates.]

Ketosis leads to excessive production of uric acid and hyperuricemia which increases risk of gout and kidney stones. High uric acid levels also lead to high blood pressure, heart disease, and kidney disease.

[Once again, where are you getting this nonsense? Look up Dr. Richard Johnson’s recent work. Excessive production of uric acid is caused by over-consumption of fructose.]

Also lack of carbs means lack of serotonin and dopamine. Lack of these often causes depression and suicidal behavior.

[Lack of essential fatty acids causes depression. Low-fat diets are linked to depression.

When I cut the carbs from my diet, my energy and mood were better than ever. I’ve heard from countless readers who had the same experience.]

Low -carbon diets cause weight loss due to diuretic effect (fluid -flushing) .

[So let me see if I’m following the (ahem) logic: Low-carb diets have a diuretic effect (true), and people with high blood pressure often take diuretics to lower their blood pressure. But somehow, the diuretic effect on a low-carb diet RAISES blood pressure instead of lowering it. That would be news to the countless people who were able to drop their blood-pressure medication after going low-carb.

Yes, some of the weight lost on a low-carb diet is water weight, which is beneficial. But I’m pretty sure those of us who lost 30 or more pounds on a low-carb diet didn’t lose 30 pounds of water.]

If you ever again eat high -carbon food your body snaps out of ketosis and immediately begins storing fat.

[Once again, let’s follow the (ahem) logic: high-carb foods signal our bodies to store fat. We drop the carbs, we start losing fat. But this is bad because if we go back to eating high-carb foods, we’ll regain the weight. Yeah, pal, that makes perfect sense. We should tell all those people on low-calorie diets to stop immediately, because ya know, if they ever go off the low-calorie diet, they’ll start regaining weight.]

Ketosis also causes physical weakness and fatigue, making healthy exercise difficult.

[Ahhh, yes, that would explain why the author of “Kabloona,” who lived with the Eskimos for two years in the 1930s, was stunned at their ability to run all day without stopping during a hunt. Must’ve been the fatigue they felt from living on a diet of fish, caribou and seal meat. And I guess that explains why I’m more physically active and fit at age 53 than I was 20 years ago on my high-carb diet.

People feel fatigued temporarily when switching to a low-carb diet because their bodies have been conditioned to require regular infusions of glucose. Once they become keto-adapted, they feel great. Drs. Jeff Volek and Steve Phinney (both competitive athletes in their day) have demonstrated in clinical studies that keto-adapted athletes have better endurance because they don’t “bonk” when they burn through their glycogen stores.]

In the old times before agriculture people still understood you could eat wild plants (potatoes are starches which are carbohydrates) .

[There were no potatoes in Europe before they were brought over from South America. So once again, where did my pre-agricultural Irish ancestors get their starches? Since plant foods in northern regions are only edible for a brief period in the autumn, how did my Irish ancestors load up on carbohydrates year-round?]

I apologize ahead of time for YOUR misunderstanding. However, I do not see PhD in your title therefore it seems more likely that you are ill -informed than correct.

[I accept your apology for your ignorance. Believe it or not, it isn’t necessary to sit in college classes and obtain a PhD to read and research. (Quick, someone throw out all the inventions created by Thomas Edison! He only attended school for four months and therefore can’t actually know anything!)]

Also it is the normal medical standard to warn all people attempting to reach ketosis who have been diagnosed with diabetes that ketoacidosis is a fatal diagnosis due to lack of insulin to break down complex chain fatty acids.

[Ketoacidosis and ketosis aren’t the same thing, genius. Ketosis is perfectly natural. If you eat dinner at 5:00 PM and don’t eat again until morning, you probably spent part of your sleeping time in ketosis. The ketone levels in ketoacidosis are several times higher than in natural ketosis. Just because too much oxygen will kill you, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t breathe oxygen.

Read and learn (and you’re allowed to understand this even if you don’t have a PhD):

Skip down the paragraph explaining the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. ]

No one should practice a no carbon diet for longer than 14 days especially if pregnant.

[Well, that’s strange … Dr. Michael Fox, a reproductive endocrinologist, has found that putting his pregnant patients on low-carbohydrate diets greatly reduces their rates of diabetes, PCOS, nausea and miscarriages. I must tell him you disagree with his successful protocol. And of course I’m wondering how the Eskimos, buffalo-hunting Plains Indians, Masai, and many other groups who lived almost entirely on meat or fish managed to produce children.]

Also if you want to reach ketosis faster try binge drinking its not any worse for your kidneys and liver than the Atkins Diet.

[The worst thing for your liver besides alcohol is excess fructose. Perhaps you should look up Dr. Robert Lustig’s famous speech on YouTube titled “Sugar: the bitter truth.” Of course, if you don’t have a PhD, you won’t be able to grasp it.

The researchers who’ve found that a low-carb diet prevents or reverses kidney damage apparently just don’t have your breadth of knowledge on the subject:

]

45. Tori

I loved your movie so much that I’ve watched it 3 times in 3 days.

After reading Sally Fallon’s books “Nourishing Traditions” and “Eat Fat, Lose Fat” I think your conclusions are spot on!

Anyone who thinks that this a lot of nonsense, needs to watch “The Oiling of America” and “Nourishing Traditional Diets” by Sally Fallon on youtube.

BTW- A low-carb diet does not have to be a high protein diet. In the book “My Low Carb Story Diet Book, Cookbook and Shopping List” by Fernando Urias (free from Barnes and Noble if you have a Nook), there’s a formula you can use to determine how much protein to eat so you can get enough but not too much.

For Loch-Ness: Enzyme deficiencies can usually be helped by adding supplements to your diet. For protein, it’s usually HCL.

That’s right, a well-formulated low-carb diet is high in fat, not protein.

46. Danielle

What is your take on carbs in fruit and vegetables? I love them and would not want to cut them out from my diet. Also how many carbs is considered low in ones diet? Does it vary from person to person? I took a look through your food log and some days looked a lot higher in carbs than I had originally expected.

Carb tolerance is individual, as is tolerance for different kinds of carbohydrates. I recommend getting a glucose meter and checking your blood sugar an after hour you finish eating. If it’s above 125, you’ll want to start adjusting. Also if you’re trying to lose weight and finding it difficult, you’ll want to adjust down. Keep in mind that it’s not just about going low-carb; it’s also about replacing carbs with quality fats.

I rarely consume as many carbs per day as I did on a fast-food diet, largely because I’ve given up grains completely.