94 thoughts on “Fat Head Kids’ Club: Sugar and Concentration

1. Laurie

Ba ha ha! This is the best one yet, girls! Great explanations of blood sugar regulation & very entertaining! Keep them coming; they’re Grrrrrreat! 😉

2. Lisa

Thanks for that! I am a third grade teacher, and I have decided that I am going to start next year focusing on nutrition with the students (be damned Common Core!). I am definitely going to show your Fat Head Kids’ Club videos, and find a way to take 27 children into our school garden so they can see where food comes from. I’ll make sure I have Time magazine and National Geographic by my side, should any parents decide to challenge my curriculum 🙂 I really enjoy your site Tom.

3. Laurie

4. Cate

Absolutely the best yet. So hilarious I laughed out loud (LOL for the kids.) You girls are getting your ACTING! on. (pls translate Jon Lovitz)

5. Lisa

6. Khyleen Schwarzenberger

Thank you….great job, a perfect way to get the message across! I am not so sure that most adults don’t need to see this….especially parents! Look forward to seeing more and I plan to share your “Fat Heads Kids Club” with my 26 grandchildren and their parents!

7. Cate

8. Khyleen Schwarzenberger

9. NM

The previous editions were cute and amusing. But this episode doesn’t need any sort of patronising or “very good, considering they’re kids..” condescension. They perform their material magnificently: their timing, comprehension of the subject and interaction are top notch. They seem to have found their feet as consummate performers. I hope there are more episodes to come, because my daughter will soon be old enough to want to understand why we don’t let her have “juice” at her nursery-school. And your daughters may be just the team to explain it.

10. NM

11. Dave

Do their school teachers know about this? I mean, this is excellent stuff and the kind of thing that educators (used to?) make as assignments for science classes. I can imagine them using this video in a science fair, perhaps with some self experimental data based on easily measured hard data like blood sugar and blood pressure along with some more subjective data like puzzle solving times during the periods under test. Of course, that might mean actually eating sugar-coated corn flakes and orange juice just to show what kind of effect these supposedly good breakfast foods have on children.

12. Tim Moore

Excellent job on the video, Tom and kids. Should be required viewing in schools. (Like that will ever happen in the current climate!)

13. Dave

1. Debbie

Interesting that their teachers don’t follow your blog. I look up the parents of my students-Google and Facebook. Sometimes I learn some very interesting things about them. 😉

14. Curtis

Another great episode of FatHeads kids club!

Keep’em coming Tom, even us adults learn from these.:)

15. Tim Moore

16. Ed

Fantastic! I did have to watch it twice though. The first time I was laughing too hard to actually get most of the message.

17. Bernardo

Hey congratulations!! Specially compared to the first one this one is amazing! Very funny and informative, much more well finished too! Really good and profession! Well done girls, mom and dad!

18. Ed

19. Bernardo

20. Martha

These are great! I had my kids watch and they loved them. We are new to this and could use some help in making lunches without bread. How about a video with suggestions for packing lunches?

21. MsJake

I need to show this to my kids (and maybe my husband!) so they really understand why Mom won’t let them have cereal for breakfast anymore!
    I think they get the whole “sugar is bad for you” message I am trying to get through to them, but maybe not the why.

Great video Alana and Sara!

22. Martha

23. MsJake

Great video Alana and Sara!

1. Tom Naughton Post author

I think it’s good for people who don’t have a weight problem to understand that sugar and flour can affect their mood and ability to concentrate. This isn’t all just about body composition by any means.

24. Amberly

My 4 kids loved this … even the 2 year old! We watched it before bed several times and the first thing they wanted to do the next morning was watch all the episodes over again.

25. Amberly

26. Linda

Absolutely great! Your girls are terrific! I have just forwarded it on to a friend of mine, obviously adult. He slogged through some reading I sent and the light bulb didn’t go off. This is to the point and I think he’ll get it this time around! Thank you girls and Tom!

27. Linda

28. June K

My sister taught 3rd grade for over 30 years. Every year at Christmas dinner we got caught up with the most ‘interesting’ students she had that year. Lets see: Bouncing off the wall, check. Falling asleep before lunch, check. Kids getting ‘hangry’ in the afternoon, oh yes. I’m sure most teachers would love it if kids came to school after eating a breakfast of bacon and eggs instead of a big bowl of sugar whammies.

29. June K