Speech: Diet, Health and the Wisdom of Crowds

122 Comments on Speech: Diet, Health and the Wisdom of Crowds

I want to thank The Older Brother for taking over the Fat Head chair while I was away last week. I can always count on him to stir the pot with his posts.

I was in Massachusetts, giving a speech at Springfield College to about 300 students and a dozen or so faculty members. Dr. Richard Wood, the director of the Center for Wellness Education & Research at the college, is a Fat Head fan and set up the event. It was way big fun. The official Q & A session afterwards lasted about 25 minutes, but when the event was over, students lined up to ask me questions one-on-one. So I stuck around another 45 minutes or so.

The college has a highly respected nutrition program, and it was encouraging to talk with students who asked so many intelligent questions. These students aren’t going to go out into the world after graduating and parrot what they’ve been told.  Dr. Wood encourages them to think for themselves and sometimes requires them to argue both sides of a debate. There’s hope for the nutrition world yet.

Anyway, here’s the speech.

If you enjoy my posts, please consider a small donation to the Fat Head Kids GoFundMe campaign.

122 thoughts on “Speech: Diet, Health and the Wisdom of Crowds

1. Justin Wisor

Always a great speech by you Tom. Fat Head was one factor that helped me realize I wasn’t skeptic or open-minded enough. It may have been soon after leaving veganism, which was a blessing in itself, and helped me realize how dumb I’d been. Keep up with the great work with all the speeches and keeping things simple for people.

Another non-PhD
    Justin

Thank you, Justin. We all have our dumb phases. Looking back, I can’t believe I put up with health problems as a grain-eating vegetarian for so long before questioning the diet.

2. Jeff Gerber, MD

The anointed shall crumble to the pressure of social media; well maybe in my dreams! A grass roots effort to bring about change. Said so well Tom, thanks for being you!

It’s a good dream. I think this one can come true.

3. Jon Kalb

Tom,

Thanks very much for this video.

When will we get to see the Q&A?

I was walking around the room for Q & A. Nothing to see but a podium with no one there.

1. Elenor

‘Podcast’ the Q&A?

Oh god, did I just create a new verb from a noun? Or, as we editors used to whine: “I just verbed a noun!”) To neologism hell for me!!

That’s not as bad as a noun-verb I once heard: “We need to effort this one, guys.”

2. Merlin

Any chance of just posting the audio then?

Thanks very much for this – wifey and I watched it together today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I’m within 2 pounds of my goal weight now; I’ve lost 73 pounds since the beginning of the year. Wheat Belly got me started, Fat Head solidified my decision and kept me entertained and educated (I think I’ve followed every link on your blog this year).

I’d post one of those before/after pics, but I could never have brought myself to show off my body beforehand. I may be able to do one of those “here’s what I look like in my old pants” pics over Christmastime.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and a resounding Thank You! to you and your family, Tom.

Happy New Year to you and yours as well. I haven’t checked the audio for the Q & A yet. Too much to do before leaving to visit the grandparents.

1. Cyborcat

Actually, the timing is a bit funny–I had just got done watching Fat Head for the 4th time (I think) a couple days ago.

Jeez, my mom only watched it once.

4. Tami

Very good speech, good concise info. I did get a bit worried though that I’m becoming one of the anointed folk. I think everyone should give up carbs and eat more fat 🙂

I don’t think everyone needs to give up carbs, just the wrong kinds of carbs.

You won’t join the anointed unless you decide to impose your preferences on the rest of us.

1. Walter Bushell

Does eating coconut oil morning and evening make me one of the anointed or just one of the oily to rise and oily to bed crowd?

You’re only one of The Anointed if you try to jam coconut oil down everyone’s throat.

5. Justin Wisor

Another non-PhD
    Justin

6. Jeff Gerber, MD

It’s a good dream. I think this one can come true.

7. Paula

The wisdom of crowds indeed. I am honored, Tom, that you found my post compelling enough to include in your speech. If it weren’t for the “non-experts” like you nothing in my life would have changed. Well, actually, I would have only gotten fatter and more unhealthy. We are all very blessed to live in an age where the gate-keepers can no longer hold back the flood of information.

I had lots of good posts to choose from, which is why the Wisdom of Crowds is working.

8. j

Enjoyed the speech…
    Will you be posting the Q&A section as well?

Thanks.

Probably not. We had one wireless microphone, so I was walking around the room to hand it to the next person with a question. The video would be of a podium with no one there.

9. Jon Kalb

Tom,

Thanks very much for this video.

When will we get to see the Q&A?

1. Elenor

‘Podcast’ the Q&A?

2. Merlin

Any chance of just posting the audio then?

1. Cyborcat

Jeez, my mom only watched it once.

10. Kathy K

Excellent as always! I was that fat, unhealthy, unhappy mess for 15+ years. Finding what works for me (and I still keep looking to improve) I have lost 130+ lbs but found a second chance to live life at 54 years old. Thank you and all the scores of others who put the tools out there for us. Folks who have watched my transformation may comment on the weight loss but always say it is the smile I always have now that shines.

The thanks belong to everyone who participates.

11. Tami

I don’t think everyone needs to give up carbs, just the wrong kinds of carbs.

1. Walter Bushell

12. FrankG

Excellent, as ever Tom! Many thanks for everything you do.

The genie will never go back in the bottle!

Cheers
    Frank

13. FrankG

I had also meant to say that I’d be keen to see the Q&A session on the off-chance it was also recorded. Many thanks!

I ended up walking around the room for the Q & A because we only had one wireless microphone, which I shared with whoever was asking the next question.

14. Paula

15. j

Enjoyed the speech…
    Will you be posting the Q&A section as well?

Thanks.

16. TD Riggs

Tom,

Just finished watching your movie…Again. I watch it to help continue to inspire me during my lifestyle, “re-hab”, change. Cutting back on my addiction to Artisan breads and other Carbs was tough. I expect not to need your movie as a kick in “My” pants much longer.

Like you in your movie, my Doctor told me my BMI showed I was obese…but yet I did not look or feel like it. I am 53 yrs old…My weight 45 days ago was 210 lbs. Just came back from seeing my Doctor with a follow-up and I loss 12 lbs. I cut way back on carbs and I walk 4 times a week with my wife. I have a regained control of my thinking brain!

For many years I listened to the “Experts” and tried to live the “Healthy” life they suggested. Your movie described just how that type of life style made me feel. Tired, lethargic, unmotivated…I could not figure out why I felt like that, until I watched you’re movie. (I thought I was just getting old)

I never thought I would ever say this about anything, but your movie did speak to me.

Thanks again for your inspiration. Please don’t let your head swell, with all of my positive comments about you and your movie. I do not put people on pedestals. I do however, get the feeling you’re a person who seeks the truth in this ever so confusing world we live in. Thank you for that.

All my best to you and yours. Happy New Year.

Happy New Year to you, too. I have no desire to stand on a pedestal. I’m just part of the crowd that’s making a difference, and it’s a big crowd.

17. Kathy K

The thanks belong to everyone who participates.

18. FrankG

19. TMA

Hi Tom,

Great speech and great work as always. I’m a physician and what you say about the “experts” feeling sure they are right and being unwilling to question their assumptions really resonates. This is such a problem in medicine these days. So much to know, so little time, thus we rely on guidelines written by “experts” (who almost by definition are funded by industry). Docs on the frontlines simply don’t have the time to critically review the conclusions of every set of guidelines by every committee for every problem. There aren’t enough hours in the day. Add to that this notion of “quality measures” where you are docked if you don’t follow guidelines, and the looming fear of litigation if you don’t comply, and you just have a recipe for everyone falling in line without questioning anything.

I try to have conversations with my colleagues about why they believe saturated fat is unhealthy or that whole grains are good for you… and the answer ultimately is that they all assume it must be true because that’s what we were taught in medical school. I really believe that’s the extent of most doctor’s and most people’s thinking on this. Hopefully that will change, maybe around the time Crestor’s patent expires.

Keep up the great work.

I think it will change. Knowledge will continue bubbling up.

20. Scott

Oh how I wish everyone I know would watch this speech. I’ve been pushing everyone I know to watch Fat-Head for years. People ask me how I’ve gone from being 265lbs. to 195lbs., but don’t seem to ever believe me when I tell them it’s been by ignoring the government, and my doctor, and eating a high fat, low carbohydrate diet. They’re always convinced I’m going to have a heart attack any day, and frankly do not believe me when I try to tell them that with the weight loss that was clearly caused by dietary change I’ve also eliminated my hypertension and no longer take medication for it, and my triglycerides went from being over 240 to estimated at 73.

Thank you Tom!

Give it enough time and most of them will come around.

21. Pierson

Fantastic speech,Tom! Really on-point, although, since Ancel Keyes’ contribution to this issue is so big, have you read this?: http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/12/22/the-truth-about-ancel-keys-weve-all-got-it-wrong/

Basically, that ‘seven-countries’ story is way more complex, and its common as-is perpetuation is becoming a bit of a myth, it seems

I did see that recently. The Seven Countries study came later. His first (similar) study was of six countries. Denise Minger’s point is that we don’t know why he cherry-picked those six, since the trend held up (although not as strongly) within the countries he omitted.

22. Michelle H

Tom, I really enjoyed the speech, and I’m the type of person who has a 5 minute, max, attention span on YouTube, but watched it all in one go. Everybody who mentions the weight myself and my husband have lost on the low-carb diet, I point them directly to the Fat-Head movie. Thanks for the great info, as usual.

Thank you for watching beyond your usual attention span.

23. TD Riggs

Tom,

All my best to you and yours. Happy New Year.

24. TMA

Hi Tom,

Keep up the great work.

I think it will change. Knowledge will continue bubbling up.

25. Scott

Thank you Tom!

Give it enough time and most of them will come around.

26. Pierson

27. Michelle H

Thank you for watching beyond your usual attention span.

28. Gerard Pinzone

What I love about your presentation endings is the feeling of inspiration without being sappy or trite. The subject matter also plays a big part in this. If this presentation was just about obesity, then it wouldn’t be as powerful. The personal anecdotes would still stir feelings of joy, but there would be no connection to the viewer. Why? Because overcoming obesity is traditionally viewed as a crapshoot. Either a person can do it or they can’t. It doesn’t matter if the assumed cause is genetics or lack of will. Success stories are like tales of lottery winners. They generally don’t give hope to others because success can’t be realistically replicated like that.

This presentation isn’t a “rah-rah” piece about low-carb dieting; it’s about knowledge and truth and the right and wrong ways of finding them (using nutrition as the ultimate example of how NOT to do science.) The testimonies given are not just about weight loss. They’re about that moment. That epiphany when we realized the unthinkable just might be true: we were all fed a load of baloney. Those people didn’t fail because they were weak or lazy. They were lied to. The deck was stacked against them and they didn’t know it. Heck, even the people giving the advice didn’t know it.

There’s an old adage that in order to succeed, you should surround yourself with people smarter than you. It’s still good advice. I don’t know everything, so if I want to learn something, I seek out people who are smarter than me in that area. The most powerful part of this presentation isn’t low carb vs. low fat. It’s about truth and knowledge. It’s about science.

Correct, and it’s about finding what works for each person. Dr. Wood and I talked quite a bit after the presentation. Like me, he sees low-carb as a useful therapy for losing weight and controlling blood sugar for diabetics and pre-diabetics, but not a diet everyone needs to adopt. The mistake The Anointed made was in deciding a grain-based, high-carb/low-fat diet is the key to health for everyone.

29. Gerard Pinzone

30. Firebird7478

I’ve been trying to find on You Tube a video of Springfield College’s most famous graduate, WWE wrestler John Cena, who was in a documentary on wrestling from the late 1990s. He was just starting out in the business and the followed him around a supermarket…loading up his shopping cart on steak, eggs, chicken and in massive amounts.

I believe Springfield College is also known as the place where basketball was born.

1. Firebird7478

It was YMCA College at the time, I think. Unfortunately we have no footage of Dr. Naismith loading up a shopping cart with eggs and meats. He may have been a fruitarian since the first basketball hoops were made of peach baskets. 😉

Maybe he just liked peaches.

31. Mike G

Hi Tom,

I listened to your speech this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it – especially the “not if you’re watching your carbohydrates and glucose” line from Don Knotts in 1964. As Gary Taubes pointed out, we had this problem solved in the 1960s, and we need to get back to that wisdom. I showed the beginning of your speech to my 9th grade biology students an hour ago. I’ll show the entire speech to my 12th graders tomorrow. It will be a great way to start the winter vacation! Now if I could just get the Health teacher to stop teaching the “Food Guide Pyramid” to these same students…

I’m flattered you’re showing the speech to students. Maybe they’ll at least question those lessons about the Food Pyramid.

1. Bret

Don’t sweat the health teacher, Mike. Your smart students will figure out real quick who knows what he is talking about between the two of you, after their health teacher is unable to answer basic questions about the science behind the bird food pyramid or address the criticisms of it.

2. Mike G

We had a good discussion after I showed the speech to the seniors. One student asked: “Why do we always hear at least two sides of an issue, like creationism vs. evolution, but with nutrition it’s always one-sided? Why do we always hear about the food pyramid and nothing else?” I could only say that it’s a weird irony. I clarified that few people want to bother with learning the biochemical facts, and that it’s easier for most people to just “accept” the USDA’s guidelines, and to “believe” that the guidelines are based on scientific evidence, which of course they are not. I feel like I’m making a difference in these kids’ lives, so I’ll keep indirectly fighting the Health teacher… Thanks again for the speech!

You are making a difference. Keep it up.

32. LaurieLM

Darn drat, double darn. I live close enough to Springfield to have gone to listen to you. It’s just a busy time of year, and maybe I’ve missed any calendar of events you do that you already publish, but is there a way for alerts when you travel, so us fan-geeks can attend? (that is if you’re willing to tip us off!) If they are closed events, I understand……but darn darn darn. I could request for you to come speak here in the western MA Five College area, and although I love working here, we are a bit of the earthy, crunchy touchy feely vegatariany valley around here. Springfield is a little South and a bit more enlightened- tiny bit less crunchy!

We passed a sign for Mt. Holyoke heading to the airport, and it occurred to me that’s probably where you work. I’m sorry I didn’t let you know.

33. Firebird7478

1. Firebird7478

Maybe he just liked peaches.

34. Mike G

Hi Tom,

1. Bret

2. Mike G

You are making a difference. Keep it up.

35. LaurieLM

36. Jean

Like the others, I’m interested in what kinds of questions the students asked you. I’d like to know what sparks went off in their brains after your speech. I really enjoyed it and plan to watch Cereal Killers this week. Thanks for all you’re doing!

I’ll check the audio after the holidays. The video would be of a podium with no one there.

1. Paula

Honestly, Tom, I don’t think most of us would care that the video is of an empty podium. Just the chance to hear the discussion afterward would be great! I’d love to hear the audio!

I’ll listen to the audio when I get time and decide if it’s worth uploading.

37. CD.UK

So I just looked at the USDA guidelines for 2010, and it said reduce saturated fat to 7% of calories. Yet it also said saturated fat and cholesterol is completely unnecessary to get from diet as the body makes it’s own. If that’s the case, then where does the 7% even come from? Why not say 0% is the ideal to strive for? If it’s such a risk factor for disease, in their view, why compromise with the arbitrary 7%…unless it’s an admission that any lower would be torture. If 0% of both in a diet is the ideal for perfect human health, why would it be torture?

They themselves say Americans eat 19% “solid fats”. So if people didn’t listen to 10% solid fats, then what on earth makes them think people will follow 7%?

Well, it’s like I said in the speech: failure means we need to do the same thing again, only bigger.

38. Jean

1. Paula

I’ll listen to the audio when I get time and decide if it’s worth uploading.

39. Cary L

An entertaining, well-paced, highly persuasive speech. Thank you so much for sharing this publicly, especially as too many people would have kept this to themselves or parsed it out for a fee.

Thank you for watching.