Physical Therapy

100 Comments on Physical Therapy

The odds are pretty good that I’m writing this between naps.  I’d forgotten how strong the urge to sleep is when recovering from surgery.  When I had shoulder surgery years ago, I entered this strange, timeless world for weeks afterwards … awake for three hours, asleep for four, awake for two more hours, asleep for five, awake for another four hours, etc.  I had to sleep sitting up in a chair.  I couldn’t work and couldn’t focus on a book, so I watched TV.  I ended up watching the HBO series The Wire from beginning to end, all five seasons.

I’m not as messed up this time around (the shoulder surgery was very invasive and massively painful) but I am sleeping more than usual.  I’m sure the pain pills have something to do with that.  I’ll get by without them for several hours at a time, then the pain kicks in out of nowhere.

The pain kicked in today because of physical therapy, my first of several upcoming sessions.  As I told the therapist, I’m not sure if people go into her profession because they’re nice and want to help others, or because it’s the only way sadists can get paid to inflict pain without going to dental school.

As you can see from the picture, the knee is still so swollen, I don’t appear to have a kneecap.  It’s as if my thigh now connects directly to my shin with no knee in between.  Not surprisingly, a leg with no apparent kneecap has limited ability to bend, so that was the sadis … er, therapist’s goal today:  bending the knee to at least 90 degrees.  We got there after several attempts.  I appreciated her help so much, when I came home I found one of the girls’ dolls that looked vaguely like the therapist and stuck pins in it.

The woman on the rack next to mine was also receiving post-operative therapy for the same procedure on the same knee from the same surgeon on the same day.  Apparently he lines up all his left-knee meniscus patients in a row and goes at it.  As someone who reads a fair bit about economics, I appreciate the efficiency.

In chatting about our injuries, I learned that the woman apparently tore her meniscus while playing tennis.  She explained that she’s giving this physical therapy all she’s got because she’s a senior-league champion and is determined to play in a tournament a month from now.  I was tempted to reply that I’m giving it all I’ve got because I plan to kick Jimmy Moore’s butt in disc golf in November, but thought better of it.

After inflicting pain on my knee for an hour, the therapist gave me two pages of detailed instructions on how to inflict the same pain on myself at home – twice per day.  Okay, if that’s what it takes to walk normally again and have my kneecap reappear, I’ll do it.  But I don’t have to like it.

As soon as I came home to begin recovery, Sara declared herself my at-home nurse and made herself a hat worthy of the role.  She’s been a huge help, bringing me snacks, drinks, fresh ice packs, etc.  She was a bit traumatized seeing me lying on a gurney in a hospital gown with an IV tube sticking out of my arm, so I think adopting the role of caretaker is partly her way of getting over it.  But mostly she’s being helpful because she’s a sweet girl who loves her daddy … although she told me today she’s going to coach me through my physical therapy at home, so I reserve the right to declare her the sister of Damian from The Omen.

I haven’t looked for any undiscovered jewels like The Wire to pass the time in my easy chair, but I have been catching up on some movies I’d saved on the DVR and watching re-runs of Seinfeld here and there.  One of these days I’d like to watch that series end to end and capture all the references to meat and fat being bad for us.  I loved that show and still find it funny, but sometimes I wonder if The Guy From CSPI was a script consultant.

I appreciate all the wishes for a speedy recovery people have posted here and on Facebook.  Chareva is serving me good recovery foods – meats, butter, farm eggs, green vegetables – and I expect to heal up quickly.

100 thoughts on “Physical Therapy

1. Drew

“although she told me today she’s going to coach me through my physical therapy at home, so I reserve the right to declare her the sister of Damian from The Omen.” ROFLMAO!

2. Erica

You may be drugged and sleeping a lot, but your sense of humor is definitely intact, Tom. Your narrative had me chuckling out loud. Can’t wait to hear how Sara tends to your therapy.

Sara likes mathematical precision, so she’ll probably check my instructions to make sure I do every prescribed repetition.

3. gharkness

Looks like you’re doing quite well, Tom! I know quite well the tools of the physical terrorist, er…therapist, having had to visit one myself. If they weren’t so darned effective, it’d be easy to hate them.

So, I don’t know where you sense of humor lies, but obviously it’s not anywhere near your kneecap, because clearly, it hasn’t been damaged.

Get well, and hugs to Chareva! Your young nurse is a doll!

I believe my funny bone is somewhere in my right arm.

4. Deniece

So glad you’re getting better, and I’m really impressed with your nursing staff. I have periodic problems with my knee because of a skating accident 35 years ago, So I can almost feel your pain. Have you watched Breaking Bad? I just started watching it and there are 4 seasons to go through. Other suggestions True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, Walking Dead just to name a few.

I’ve seen all of the above except the Walking Dead.

5. nonegiven

They told my mom to take the pills enough before the therapy or exercise that they were kicked in when it starts.

I’m going to take a pain pill before I visit the sadis … er, therapist today.

6. Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat Pe

I hear you about the TV. I’m glad we got a DVR a couple of weeks before I herniated a disk last month. Spent the better part of a week rotating between the couch and the floor and caught up on a ton of shows I hadn’t seen in a while.

Sounds like your therapy is a bit more intense than mine. (Massive understatement.) Good luck with it.

I dunno, a herniated disk sounds worse than knee surgery to me.

7. Jimmy Moore

Get better soon buddy. Gonna give you all you can handle in November. 🙂

If you ordered that practice basket and have been working on those approach shots, I believe you.

8. Uncle Paul

“The odds are pretty good that I’m writing this between naps.”

You need to work on that narcolepsy.

Perhaps I should drive to a doctor’s office for a checkup?

9. wildwabbit

My recommendations:
    Restaurant Impossible from The Food Network. Awesome series where a (apparently now-) famous chef and restauranteur goes out to failing restaurants owned by normal folx who can’t run a restaurant and the goal is to spend $10k and less than 2 days to make excrement into pearls. They show so many reruns per week you can DVR it well.

Battlestar Galactica, the newer series, if you haven’t seen it is great to watch all the way through. Thats how I first saw it. Also all of the “Star Gate” 10 seasons is a great way to pass time. If you haven’t seen them and can get into sci-fi…

10. Brandon K

“Damages” on Netflix starring Glen Close, phenomenal

Yup, that was a good one. We saw it when it aired.

11. Lori

You’re fortunate the pain medicines work for you. Vicodin did next to nothing for me when I had an abscessed tooth.

A couple of shows I love are about a battle of wits. There’s Breaking Bad (a chemistry teacher turns into a meth chef), but my favorite show ever is Death Note. When you write a name in the Death Note, the person dies. (And the person stays dead–there’s no coming back to life like the guy on Dallas.) The animation, voice acting and story were all outstanding.

We love Breaking Bad. Hard to believe we’re looking at the same actor (Bryan Cranston) who played dentist Tim Whatley in those old Seinfeld episodes and then the father on Malcolm in the Middle. He’s got amazing range as an actor.

12. Drew

13. Erica

14. gharkness

Get well, and hugs to Chareva! Your young nurse is a doll!

I believe my funny bone is somewhere in my right arm.

15. Deniece

I’ve seen all of the above except the Walking Dead.

16. nonegiven

I’m going to take a pain pill before I visit the sadis … er, therapist today.

17. Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People

I dunno, a herniated disk sounds worse than knee surgery to me.

18. Jimmy Moore

Get better soon buddy. Gonna give you all you can handle in November. 🙂

19. Uncle Paul

“The odds are pretty good that I’m writing this between naps.”

You need to work on that narcolepsy.

Perhaps I should drive to a doctor’s office for a checkup?

20. wildwabbit

My recommendations:

21. Sally Myles

Being a massive fan of The Wire, and being able to watch it over and over, I see where you’re coming from. One of my mates recently got me onto Breaking Bad, have you seen it?? It’s excellent. I’ve downloaded four of the first five seasons and am currently watching season 3… the writing is sharp, pretty dark, but if you’ve not seen it, worth a watch. It’s about a High School Chemistry teacher who discovers he’s got terminal lung cancer so goes about cooking Crystal meth to make some coin for his family. Like you do.
    Other than that, The Newsroom?? The new Sorkin one?? It’s only just started on TV you should have episode 5 just aired, but it’s looking good. Nearly West Wing good, if that is possible. Get well soon.

We’ve followed Breaking Bad from the beginning. I think it’s the most riveting show on TV these days.

I gave up on The Newsroom when I realized Sorkin was going to (once again) spend a lot of screen time explaining to his audience that the Democrats are actually correct about pretty much everything. I usually avoid Hollywood productions about politics or politicians for exactly that reason.

22. Brandon K

“Damages” on Netflix starring Glen Close, phenomenal

Yup, that was a good one. We saw it when it aired.

23. Lori

24. Piki

Hi,

Rolfing might help you to heal faster.

Find a certified advanced rolfer in your city.

Get well soon!!
    🙂

25. Megan

I am working my way through Seinfeld at the moment too. Yep, they are pretty hooked up with the low fat theory. I hate to say it – but Jerry Seinfeld is looking a bit like low fat doesn’t quite agree with him lately. This is my nice way of saying he has put on a bit of weight. But considering the timing of the show and its total brilliance in other ways – I can forgive them. Curb your Enthusiasm is also excellent. But best watched when the kids are out of the room! Have you watched Veep? it has just started here in the UK and I am loving it. How nice to have nothing better to do than watch telly!
    Good luck with the recovery. Kids are a brilliant motivation to get well. They need you to be out running with them – no doubt the reason behind your daughter’s need to nurse you (or is it torture you?).

I haven’t seen Veep. I saw Jerry Seinfeld on a panel-discussion show about comedy some months ago and was surprised at how much thicker he looks. He was always such a skinny guy. I guess the cereal he was always munching on finally caught up with him a bit.

26. Jonathan

Therapy will not make your knee cap reappear, it might just make the swelling worse which is what hurts the worse. The second time I had knee surgery to fix my broken knee I got a 3 day hospital stay and a hemiavac to drain it and it didn’t hurt nothing like the first surgery that swelled up huge. See if the doc can do anything for the swelling. I waited too late and the 4 inch needle couldn’t drain anything. At least keep it Ace wrapped to limit swelling. And therapy, I found mine to only be torture as well. The fastest way to stretching my tendons back out ended up being walking on it. Take it easy and we’ll be praying for you. (not like Jimmy who is probably praying for his disc golf game. “Lord help me beat Tom at disc golf. Oh, prayer answered!”)

It definitely swells a bit after the therapy. The therapist (who is actually very nice) iced it down after our session and told me to do the same after stretching it at home. There’s a compression bandage on it most of the time.

27. Sally Myles

28. Piki

Hi,

Rolfing might help you to heal faster.

Find a certified advanced rolfer in your city.

Get well soon!!
    🙂

29. Megan

30. Marc Sitkin

Hi Tom-

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hopefully, it will be fast. Check out the series “The Killing, Who Killed Rosie Larson?” From a Danish book, filmed in Seattle 2011, available on Netflix. Very dark, with interesting characters and good plot development. And it’s always raining. Explains the Seattle t-shirt, “People in Seattle don’t tan, they Rust”

That was a good series. I watched both seasons. Chareva usually goes to bed at least an hour before I do, so I look for shows that wouldn’t be her cup of tea. That was one of them.

31. Anne

You are lucky to have such a dedicated home health care nurse – and she is so cute too. I am sure you will heal quickly under her care.

She’s making sure I’m comfortable, but also making sure I do my exercises. She sat next to me today and counted to make sure I did every rep.

32. Rocky

In my 20’s I foolishly decided to have arthroscopic knee surgery on both knees at the same time (for cysts, not a torn meniscus). On my first day back home the cat knocked my pain meds and cordless phone off of the bedside table. In pain and immobile, I could only lay there and stare at the ceiling, plotting revenge on the cat, while waiting for my wife to return home hours later. That evening, I had an allergic reaction to the pain meds and had to call an ambulance, whereupon the paramedics dropped me down the steps on the way out of the house.

Here’s hoping your recovery avoids any similar drama!

Yee-ikes. My recovery is a walk in the park by comparison.

33. Jonathan

34. Firebird

A gem on Hulu: “The Booth at the End”.

I too, have no interest in “The Newsroom”. There was a Canadian series of the same title in 1997, then again in 2004 & 2005, a comedy that was much better. Clips are on You Tube, but I have all three seasons on DVD.

A sample:

That looks better than the HBO version I shut off after realizing Aaron Sorkin was out to indoctrinate the audience.

35. Kim

When I had rotator cuff surgery almost 4 years ago I was stunned by what I was expected to do in physical therapy. Had it been up to me I doubt I would’ve ever recovered full motion in my shoulder. I never would’ve pushed myself that hard! I guess those “sadists” deserve every penny they earn. It’s probably very hard to make people suffer for their own good. Happy recovery!

I am course glad my sadist has been pushing me. This knee needs to regain full motion and it’s got a looong way to go.

36. Carole

This is much lighter than most of the other TV suggestions, but if you haven’t watched Psych, it is SO worth watching — hilarious, and even kid friendly. I had fun not long ago rewatching some old shows, like Murder, She Wrote (quite a few low-fat references in that too)…and my 8 year old son found The Lone Ranger on Netflix. It was fun to see how far we’ve come in so many ways, both in the real world and in tv land!

Wishing you well & low-pain PT!

I’ve never heard of Psych. Is that on cable, Netflix, DVD?

37. Linda

Was going to suggest “Breaking Bad” to you as well but I see several posters have beat me to the punch. It is my favorite drama and I agree that Bryan Cranston is a totally gifted actor.
    “Boardwalk Empire” is also very good, and my 2nd all time best suggestion is “Mad Men”, starring another awesome actor, Jon Hamm.
    Have you checked out “Homeland” as yet?
    Hoping for a speedy recovery!
    My best to you!

Those are all great shows. Homeland reminds me a bit of Sleeper Cell, which I also enjoyed.

38. Marc Sitkin

Hi Tom-

39. Anne

40. Rocky

Here’s hoping your recovery avoids any similar drama!

Yee-ikes. My recovery is a walk in the park by comparison.

41. cancerclasses

In case you’d like to watch something that’s entertaining and that you can learn something from (ala Fat Head) take a gander at this video that the butter coffee man Dave Asprey of bulletproofexec.com posted on his blog, John Gray of “Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus” on hacking your hormones, the hormonal differences between men & women and how to manage them to get more love and have better relationships. NSFW & PARENT ADVISORY: Brief discussion of Adult subjects, parental discretion advised, not for tiny nurses & non adult peoples. http://goo.gl/iJMlt

I’ll make sure the tiny nurse doesn’t watch.

42. Firebird

A gem on Hulu: “The Booth at the End”.

A sample:

43. Kim

44. Dave RN

DVD “Dreams of My Real Father”.

It will make you think. You”ll have to order it off the ‘net.

45. Carole

Wishing you well & low-pain PT!

I’ve never heard of Psych. Is that on cable, Netflix, DVD?

46. Linda

Have you checked out “Homeland” as yet?
    Hoping for a speedy recovery!
    My best to you!

47. cancerclasses

I’ll make sure the tiny nurse doesn’t watch.

48. Carole

Oh no! That makes me sad! Psych is a USA show, but the first five seasons are available for streaming on Netflix. I very highly recommend it, especially if you just want some good laughs! 🙂

(Oh, and the first 5 minutes or so has the least kid-friendly scene of the whole series — even that is pretty tame, but I thought I’d warn you so you weren’t wondering about my definition of “kid-friendly!”)

I appreciate the warning.