Tonight’s Post …

55 Comments on Tonight’s Post …

… will have to wait another day or so.  My Outlook file ended up becoming corrupted, so I loaded a backup, only to find that one corrupted as well.  I downloaded a tool to fix the errors in the file, which apparently worked.  However, when I fired up Outlook again, I started receiving what appears to be every email ever sent to me.  It’s about 50% finished, and the Inbox is showing nearly a thousand items.  I recognize some of them as duplicates of emails I already answered in the past few days, but now they’re coming in with today’s date on them.

I’d like to just delete the entire inbox, but there could be DVD orders in there, messages from my software clients, etc.  So when the darned thing is finally finished downloading, I’ll be spending a rather large chunk this evening oing through them.

That’s one problem.  The other problem is that I receive a lot of emails from readers and fans of the film and write a lot of replies, so now I can’t tell for sure which ones I’ve already answered — the questions I receive are often quite similar.  If you sent an email and don’t hear back from me, my apologies.  There are too many to answer them all again just to be sure.

To err is human … but to really @#$% things up, you need a computer.

If you enjoy my posts, please consider a small donation to the Fat Head Kids GoFundMe campaign.

55 thoughts on “Tonight’s Post …

1. Tuck

Tom, there are programs you can use to remove dups from an outlook mailbox… may be worth the little bit of money. Email me offline if you want some help.

If it happens again, I may do that. I had to delete three years’ worth of emails. I didn’t realize my web provider wasn’t deleting them, which I thought I’d set to occur at 180 days past the message date. It’s set now.

2. Elizabeth

LOL I’m sorry to hear that Tom! My hubby’s a computer geek too! He is in web design and all I ever hear about is code and how it keeps screwing up. Good luck getting it all straightened out!

I’ve had some colorful conversations with code.

3. Dan

Do you require a little help in using your computational device?

I think I’ve got it working again.

4. ThatPaleoGuy

Use a Mac.

I have both. Until I get a Mac laptop, I need to use a PC for email, since it’s a PC laptop that goes with me when I travel.

5. Tuck

6. Elizabeth

I’ve had some colorful conversations with code.

7. ThatPaleoGuy

Use a Mac.

8. Tanny O'Haley

I’d suggest that you switch to a web email client like gmail, yahoo or hotmail. If you don’t already have it an online backup solution like Carbonite.

To me Outlook is just a virus conduit, which is why I suggest using a web email client.

I hope you get it all fixed soon.

9. Captain Betty

You really should move to webmail… no more local email backup/corruption issues.

I’d like to, but I need to keep records of some emails, and I also need to program against Outook for clients.

10. Joe

Sorry if this sounds smartass….

What the heck do you use as your mailserver? If you were using a decent IMAP server it wouldn’t matter if your Outlook crapped out, you’d just resync with the server (which you could back up, of course). Or even use Google Apps to host your mail, which also supports IMAP.

Outlook is pretty much the devil, of course 😉

11. Amy Dungan

And here we keep believing that technology is supposed to make life easier. I think the joke is on us. Hope you get it sorted out soon!

I got it sorted out after Outlook imported three years’ worth of emails.

12. JerseyAC

I highly recommend Thunderbird http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ over outlook, in my years of using it I haven’t ever had a corrupting issue. The only time I’ve had to re-install is when I got a new computer.

I wouldn’t mind trying something else, but unfortunately many of my software clients need my programs to read/write from Outlook.

13. Beowulf

“To err is human…but to really @#$% things up, you need a computer.”

I am SO going to quote that the next time my computer ruins my life. With proper credit of course. 😉

14. Captain Betty

15. BW

Forget webmail, way too limited and slow. You should have your mail stored on an IMAP server and use an IMAP client. The you can connect up with anything from just about anywhere, webmail.. thunderbird.. I use claws-mail mostly….

And I’d strongly recommend against carbonite or any other ‘cloud’ backup solution, once you give someone else control over your data..well you lose control. Just ask anyone who has their google accounts locked, and lost all access to google docs, mail, etc…

A NAS box is cheap, get two and setup replication with one stored at an office, a friends house, etc.. Then you’ve got many more options, such as SVN hot mirroring and the like. It’s much more flexible than any online backup ‘service’ and cheaper in the long run.

there’s my 2 cents. 😉

16. Joe

Sorry if this sounds smartass….

Outlook is pretty much the devil, of course 😉

17. Amy Dungan

I got it sorted out after Outlook imported three years’ worth of emails.

18. Jeff S.

I just wanted to say my wife and I watched your movie recently and loved it!! We’ve been dieting(just calorie counting) for a while to no avail, but after just 5 days of watching our sugar and carb intake my wife’s down 5lbs and I’m down 3.5lbs. We even enjoyed a slab of ribs (no sauce) one night for dinner and a couple of McDoubles (minus the buns) for lunch today. Thanks Tom you’ve really opened our eyes 🙂

Great results. Keep it up.

19. JerseyAC

20. Beowulf

“To err is human…but to really @#$% things up, you need a computer.”

21. BW

there’s my 2 cents. 😉

22. Lori

Gmail blows Outlook away–not that that’s paying Google much of a compliment. I’ve stored email from years back in my Gmail folders online. One thing I like about Gmail is that conversations are listed in one email instead of several. Haven’t had any compatibility issues with Gmail, either, as I did with Outlook.

Considering how much good free software is out there, I think, “My employer is migrating to Windows 7 and Office 2010 because….?”

I’ve been avoiding Office 2007 and Office 2010 as long as I can, except for testing software for clients. Can’t stand that tinker-toys interface.

23. Jeff S.

Great results. Keep it up.

24. Underground

Office development has always been sort of an afterthought with a mishmashed assortment of API’s.

You can have Office installed for development purposes and still use Thunderbird for email. I switched a few years ago and Thunderbird has been better all around. More stable, and it was worth the switch just for the searches. Searching emails in Outlook has always been horrendously slow, especially when you get over about 8000-10000 messages or so. Thunderbird zips right through it.

Export your messages and contacts and go to it! 😉

25. Danny J

Nothing wrong with Outlook. File this under the its eventual department. Would have happened with T-Bird or others too eventually. You can only have a flat file database constantly written into and out of locally for so long before it corrupts. Please do not blame Outlook because people are still using POP instead of IMAP. WIth IMAP we are back up and running in a few minutes.

I have serviced computers for years and seen almost every email client burst. And do not think for a second Macs are immune. If you have a hard drive and constantly write in and out of an ever growing flat file, it can happen.

Going forward Thom, you can likely just change your settings to the IMAP settings offered by your provider and live carefree thereafter.

Not really an MS fan boy but this is not an MS only issue. Tom likely has HUGE email volumes.

Kuddos for having the good sense to have a backup. Shame the media or file was also corrupt… but I imagine the restore was at least partly successful if you are getting duplicates.

I’ll check out switching to IMAP settings. And yes, my email volume is rather impressive these days.

26. Lori

27. Underground

Export your messages and contacts and go to it! 😉

28. Danny J

29. Jim T.

I hope my order (August 12, Paypal receipt #3125-2662-8122-7141) did not get lost. It is the international version of “Fat Head.”

It’s nasty when something like that happens. The only sure way to protect yourself is to back up everything (not just mail) to a different site. Easier said than done.

I believe we got all the order records saved.

30. Jim T.

I believe we got all the order records saved.

31. Barb

Returning to work after the July 4th holiday a couple of years ago, I found that someone had spoofed my email address to do a spam blast. My inbox was crammed with server rejections and out of office responses. Every time I tried to open Outlook, it crashed. I finally went to webmail and deleted the 3000+ emails, checking for legitimate mail, 20 at a time. It took me about a week to get back to normal (if it can be said that there is such a thing in Outlook).

You have my sympathy.

I finally got it back to business as usual after deleting three years’ worth of emails.

32. Bo

Monty Phyton member Terry Jones did a BBC documentary about the history of numbers ‘The Story of 1’ interesting angle on computers also.

computers: Menace or blessing that is the question.

I use somtimes an old fashion texteditor like notepad where I save stuff, don’t trust the bigger systems from for example Microsoft, they work fine most of the time but you never know. bugs, viruses, who knows whats in there….. Then i have a (to big) deletebutton on my keyboard, thinking now that I need to a deletectomy on my delete-key 🙂

33. Barb

You have my sympathy.

34. Bo

computers: Menace or blessing that is the question.

35. Guinnesshound

I can commiserate with you to some degree about outlook, but since I have been a Windows Systems Admin and Exchange Admin for several years, I generally chalk it up to job security for me.

I did want o send you an email about the vegans on ‘The Great American Food Truck Race’ on Food Network. Of course they are spewing the usual drivel about the benefits of a vegan lifestyle. I am curious to see how good/ or bad they fare on the race through the heartland of America.

Good luck with the email and feel free to contact me offline if needed.

P.S. Your movie and column have been a lifesaver for me. Changing my diet has helped me go from 350 lbs to 270 lbs, and I am still working on it. Looking forward to getting below 200 lbs before my birthday next June. Losing the weight and eating better has helped me get off of blood pressure medications.

Thanks for all that you do!

That’s an impressive weight loss, and I’m rooting for you to make that goal.

36. bec

First time poster, and so far loving your message. As an English teacher in Australia who uses “Supersize Me” in the work program to teach about media bias, I am pretty convinced that I need to buy myself a copy of “Fat Head” merely as a counterpoint. (Not that I will need to do much work to convince my target audience of only teenage boys that eating meat and eggs = AWESOME.)

From my daily internet travails, I find that gluten allergies and coeliac disease are five times more prevalent today than they were in the 1950s, which doesn’t surprise me at all. I am going to bet that some genius puts it down to us not eating enough “heart-healthy whole grains”. Fie on them.

I’m reading a pre-release of an excellent book right now that makes the same claim. The author says the wheat we consume today isn’t the wheat our great-grandparents ate, and that’s part of the problem.

37. Guinnesshound

Good luck with the email and feel free to contact me offline if needed.

Thanks for all that you do!

That’s an impressive weight loss, and I’m rooting for you to make that goal.

38. Underground

“Nothing wrong with Outlook.”

Yes, yes there is. It’s slow, even with relatively few emails when it’s working as designed. And it causes some rather ‘interesting’ side effects at times, like locking up the computer for minutes at a time for no apparent reason. I haven’t seen any of that since switching to Thunderbird.

Sure any software can and will have problems, Outlook has had more than it’s share. Backups, they’re your friend.

39. bec

40. bec

Interesting. What is making the wheat different? The fertilisers being used? The processing?

I wish that I could claim a similar weight loss as Guinness Hound – I think years of CW and low-fat dieting have done my metabolism in. Eating VLC/paleo is well worth it for the skin, nails, attentiveness and ability to power through a day without getting bitchy if you miss lunch (which is a big bonus as a teacher), but so far I’ve only lost about four kilos in two months. I’m only 26 and worry that it’s too late for me to reverse the damage done.

It’s not too late. You may not lose all the weight you want, but you can vastly improve your health. The wheat was genetically engineered to reduce the growing season, be more resistant to both pests and pesticides, and to increase yield per acre.

41. Underground

“Nothing wrong with Outlook.”

42. bec

43. Robert J Bradbury

I hope I am not Intruding or seemingly self imposed. But I would like to invite those of you who enjoy all that Tom has to offer with his work, to my interview of him Tomorrow at 7 PM EST. That is Monday August 22nd. Tom will be joining me and there is a chat room for questions. simply go to http://www.tenacityradio.com/listen
    I hope I am not being rude buy posting here. Forgive me if I am.

Not rude at all. I appreciate you getting the word out.