Weekend Bonus: Grains and Arthritis

I’ve mentioned in several posts that back in my grain-eating days, I developed arthritis –- especially in my left shoulder, which eventually required surgery to remove a bone spur the surgeon described as “tremendous.”  (He wasn’t paying the spur a compliment.)

At dinner one night on the low-carb cruise, I spoke with a fellow blogger named Howard Harkness (above, with his wife Georgene and Dana Carpender) who recounted a similar experience …  all the more harrowing in his case, since he plays and teaches violin, as he explained recently on his blog:

I had a number of health problems, including high blood pressure, poor night vision, chronic acne, almost constant heartburn — and a mysterious pain in my hands and knees. That “arthritis” started back in the mid-90′s, and had gradually worsened to the point where I was forced to quit playing my violin in public because I was unable to practice enough to preserve my skill — it hurt too much. I had complained to several doctors about it, and none of them could find anything wrong. One gave me some medication which had side-effects even worse than the arthritis (and, as I discovered when I quit taking it, it was highly addictive!). I decided to simply quit complaining and just live with it after one doctor suggested that I see a shrink.

… A little less than a week into the diet, I cut out the grains completely. No more bread. No more raisin bran with skim milk. No more rice, no more oatmeal. At that point, my wife and I went through the kitchen throwing out stuff.

It was almost as traumatic as going through a divorce, throwing out all those boxes of cereal, loaves of bread, bags of flour (we baked our own bread in those days, because we thought it was ‘healthier’ that way…), canned colas, popcorn (along with the air-popper) and other items we decided we weren’t going to eat anymore.

Two days after I had cut out all grains, something amazing happened. I woke up that morning with no hand pain!

You read the full story here.

Just imagine how many cases of arthritis could be avoided if more doctors made the connection between grains and auto-immune disorders.  Then they’d prescribe a gluten-free diet instead of a visit to a shrink.

If you enjoy my posts, please consider a small donation to the Fat Head Kids GoFundMe campaign.

78 thoughts on “Weekend Bonus: Grains and Arthritis

1. Jan

The chronic arthritis at the base of both my thumbs has virtually disappeared since giving up grains and vegetable oils. It was quite bad, too – I couldn’t even touch my thumb to my pinky on either hand (well, without screaming in pain).

Grains…they are of the devil.

Wheat is murder.

2. Brian

Good for him.

I’m always amazed at how traumatic this kind of exercise is to someone. Always! But only for a few days, then they start feeling better and wonder what all the fuss was about. 🙂

And to your last point, unfortunately that would be fantasy land.

We can dream, can’t we?

3. Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad

At work this week, the 3 coworkers I sit with all developed allergies. They were sniffling, sneezing, teary-eyed, and high on benadryl. And they all eat like crap. (Though they think that they eat “healthy” – but for them eating “healthy” unfortunately means eating little to no meat and lots of grains 🙁 ) I’m not sure how to tell them that they could probably fix their allergies if they changed their diets… I am worried I would offend them! I’m pretty sure that this arthritis example and their allergies fall in the same category – grain-induced illnesses. (I don’t even cut out grains completely, I just don’t eat much of em.)

I’ve tried sharing this information with “health-conscious” people I know who suffer from inflammation and auto-immune disorders, but they can’t be convinced. All you can do is put it out there, then let them make their own decisions.

4. Lori

I sent my best friend that story (from the comments in the Heart Scan Blog). She has many of the same symptoms, and it’s hard for her to play the piano, which she does for a living. If she doesn’t find it easy to go gluten-free at home, she should find it easy when she comes out to visit me in a few weeks.

I hope she gives it a try. I can’t imagine choosing bread over the piano.

5. Harpo Mike

That is one of the things i noticed about cutting down on all that stuff as well. A lot of the little pains that i would contribute to working( I install home security alarms) went pretty much away, or are not so bad the less carbs i eat.. Not to be disgusting, bit i think the buntion on my foot is going down as well. ( that might be subjective, but it sure does look smaller. ( that’s what she said.:).. ) It is quite amazing..:)

I noticed I rarely get backaches or restless legs, which were fairly common for me when I ate grains.

6. Obee

I had the same sort of experience, but it didn’t involve arthritis. I had seasonal allergies so bad that I was often on two different kinds of inhalers. Doctors never really called it asthma but it might as well have been. Anyway, after eliminating wheat, all those symptoms went away, and have stayed away for about 15 years.

Inflammation in a different form.

7. Amy Dungan

Wow, what a life changing discovery for him! I rarely eat grains in any form. And when I see other people eating them the words leaky gut syndrome immediately come to mind. That visual alone is enough to keep me away from them. LOL But I’ve noticed a serious difference in my health since cutting them out of my diet. There are so many reason to avoid grains… and so little time to explain them all. 🙂

In addition to arthritis, I’ve noticed if I eat wheat, a bit of the old asthma comes back for day or so.

8. Barbara

I get that, on a lesser scale, every time I have anything containing gluten. Mostly in my knees and hips – it normally disappears a day or two after. But apparently it doesn’t exist…..

There was an article in our local paper yesterday about the whole gluten-free ‘fad’ with the ‘experts’ totally dismissing this non-coeliac reaction. The writer gave it a long fandangled name I can’t remember now. Thankfully there was a portion of the article given to Dr Rodney Ford which I didn’t have enough time to read properly but I don’t feel it was as strong as the comments by those strongly in favour of gluten – as in the usual ‘we need grains to live’ kind of hogwash.

I really noticed a difference after the surgery, while the shoulder was healing. Eat wheat, the shoulder would ache. Even now, if I decide to indulge in one of my very rare pizza nights, I may as well take an ibuprofen as an appetizer.

9. Jan

Grains…they are of the devil.

Wheat is murder.

10. Brian

Good for him.

And to your last point, unfortunately that would be fantasy land.

We can dream, can’t we?

11. Be

How can the medical profession ignore this kind of “evidence”. Anecdotal, sure, but before prescribing “medication which had side-effects even worse” how can they not say at least, “Hey, some people have found that cutting out grains/sugar/carbs/milk/nightshades/etc has helped”? Are they really that hypocritical about the Hippocratic oath?

I’m afraid if it’s not drug-related, chances are they haven’t heard of it.

12. Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad

13. Lori

I hope she gives it a try. I can’t imagine choosing bread over the piano.

14. Harpo Mike

15. Ginger

Every person I know who’s given the wheat free/gluten free diet a try has reported feeling better, younger, stronger, more energetic and less achey, and reversed their digestive system issues. Going grain free, even more so. Personally, I had the same experience. I can’t recommend it enough and I’ve never felt like I am missing anything. I prefer ribs to bread anyway!

I used to always pack Pepto-Bismal when I traveled. Now I can’t remember the last time I needed it. I’m sure it’s been years.

16. tracker

We have bags and bags of grains (wheat, oats, rye, etc) from before we started eating like this. We thought grinding our own grain was healthier LOL

Now, I found out that deer really like grains and oats, so we’re working on feeding all of it to them.

Awhile back, someone who’d just switched to a low-carb diet asked what to do with all the grain cereals in the pantry. I suggested dumping it in a field and letting the natural grain-eaters have a feast.

17. Be

Restless Leg Syndrome! You just reminded me of something that doesn’t bother me anymore! My previous back ache is gone but I attribute that to less weight and more energy & exercise. I guess they are ALL related to a good diet.

I think a number of ailments are all driven by inflammation.

18. Obee

Inflammation in a different form.

19. Amy Dungan

20. Barbara

21. Sue

Me too. I no longer have asthma, hay fever, allergies or joint pain as long as I keep the grains out of my diet. On a positive note, in discussion with two gastroenterologists this week, I mentioned my ‘grain free’ status and nary an eyebrow was raised, nor comment passed ……

No comments about the dangers of giving up an entire food group? There is hope after all.

22. Chris

I’m glad you can play violin again, George. I think I’m having less elbow and knee pain myself. I’m still new to LCHF, and I know I generally feel slot better. You’re wife is beautiful and you all look great!

23. Ginger

24. tracker

25. Be

I think a number of ailments are all driven by inflammation.

26. Firebird

I’ve been low carb for several years with times on and off it as cheat days, etc. I have, in earnest, been really, really low carb for eight weeks now. Lost 9 lbs., but I still have issues with physical energy and stamina. I still have some allergies (generally pollen), which I take no medications for, I just bear it. But recently, I am experiencing nausea. Has anyone experienced this at the eight week mark?

Chime in, anyone who’s been through this. I never experienced the nausea part, although I felt tired at times during the first couple of weeks on induction.

27. Susan

I gave up grains over two years ago. I no longer do the “Tim Conway Shuffle” (as I call it) when I get up at night to use the bathroom. That was when I realized that something awesome was happening to my body. Although I gave up sugars, seed oils and all forms of grain at the same time, I am pretty sure the elimination of the wheat products has made the greatest impact in my improved health.

Seed oils can certainly produce inflammation, but I’m with you: giving up the wheat was probably the biggest factor.

28. Wie

I can run down the list of comments here, thinking, “yep,” “that’s absolutely true,” and “me, too.” I’ve given up mentioning any of this to doctors, most of whom still seem to think that cholesterol matters more than inflammation, and that grains are a perfect food unless you have celiac disease, which is probably all in your head anyway. I’m the only adult in my immediate family who doesn’t take (or need) medication for blood pressure or cholesterol reduction and who doesn’t need a wheelbarrow for his/her belly. But I’m the one with the weird diet. yeppers.

Speaking of avoiding grains, does anybody have a good substitute “breading” for scotch eggs?

Stick to that “weird” diet, and you’ll be dancing at 80 while they’re either gone or shuffling along with the aid of a walker. Then they’ll label you “genetically gifted.”

29. Sue

30. Chris

31. Firebird

1. Angie

Every time I have tried to go completely grain free, I have had horrible nausea. I have multiple medical problems including Cystic Fibrosis which messes with your digestion so I’ve always thought it was related to that. For me, it could also be that the foods without grains are too flavorful because that’s also an issue of mine and grains are so bland/plain that it’s a good buffer.

My nutritionist thought I might not be getting enough carbs because different people have different needs. My body is always fighting infections so I need more fuel than a normal person my size and she says even if it’s just starchy veggies instead of grains, I need more carbs. That does help somewhat so she may be on to something.. but I don’t get completely normal until I at least have some rice in my diet. That still is extremely helpful with my body pains, making them almost completely disappear.

1. PJ (RightNOW)

Sounds like your gut biome, top and bottom, is simply adapted to grains. If you don’t get them, they start starving and they are unhappy, and when you feed them something different, the bacteria are not really designed to eat those other things, because you have bred and supported bacteria for grains instead.

Not saying this is so; I haven’t got a clue. I’m just saying that “if I go grain-free I get nauseated” sounds like a problem with the body. Pretty sure that is not remotely normal.

32. Susan

33. Wie

34. Howard

Wow! If I’d known that my photo was going to be prominently featured on your blog, I would have picked a better-looking shirt to wear that night. BTW, for the few folks that might not know what Dana Carpender looks like, she’s the one between me and Georgene.

Just got word that this got re-tweeted by Dr. Eades. Good thing I have GuestDietBlog.com hosted in a place that is unlikely to melt down…

As I have previously mentioned, you are the main reason I chose to go on this cruise — and I’m really glad I did. (Georgene, who was a bit lukewarm about going on this cruise, now says it is the most enjoyable cruise she has ever experienced.) It was a real treat to sit with you and your lovely spouse at dinner, and enjoy the very pleasant conversion. Next year, the 5th Annual Low Carb Cruise is going to feature even more big-name celebrities, which is a good thing, but I suspect that the expected enormous increase in the number of people signing up for it may render it difficult to actually interact with those celebrities. After all, time is the ultimate scarce resource. But I wouldn’t want to miss it.

Aside: Despite your remarks about being a night-owl, you did a fantastic job of setting the tone for the rest of the presentations, and I think that Jimmy’s decision to put you first was a stroke of genius.

Thanks again, Tom, for your encouragement and words of wisdom in regard to the writing process!

My pleasure, Howard. I really enjoyed meeting you and Georgene on the cruise. You’re a good writer, and I hope we hear from you often.

35. Laurie

I had a chance to talk to Howard during the muster drill about his arthritis and his music. I can’t imagine having to give up my music in high school. I was a music major and music was my world. I loved it! I have since taken up new hobbies but have fond memories of that time in my life.

I’m glad Howard has reclaimed his music life. Meeting him and Georgene was a pleasure. I know we all have our victory stories of health woes overcome by our (now) grain free diets! 🙂

Cheers,
    Laurie

Howard and Georgene are a real pleasure. I’m looking forward to seeing them again next year.

36. Dianne

No more allergies for me either! And no arthritis, although it’s in my family history and my sister has it. (Of course, when I share with others, they look at me like I’m crazy. It’s discouraging.)

Just read an article in May’s “Today’s Dietician” that mentioned a study that showed individuals that tested negative for Celiac Disease in their early 50s tested positive in their late 60s. (It was a 15 year study.)

By the way, love “Big Fat Fiasco” and your cruise talk.

Testing positive for Celiac means reaching a fairly high threshold, too. It’s entirely possible to have negative reactions to grains without testing positive for Celiac — I was tested once and came up negative, but giving up grains still made several ailments go away.

37. Judy B

I have had the same benefits from going grainless! However, I can’t convince my mother (who suffers from severe pain in her wrists and has been on far too many meds – doctors keep changing the diagnosis) or my father (retired doc with diabetes and what seems to be some kind of mental impairment) that it would benefit them to give up any carbs! Very frustrating!!

It’s nearly impossible to convince some people. You’d think they’d at least want to give up grains for awhile just to see if it helps.

38. Linda

Very interesting. Been low-carbing for nearly three years and this past January I began eating some low carb flax/oat bran/whole wheat wraps and pita breads. I have also begun suffering from back pain, and now arthritis like pain in my hips. I am really wondering if there is a connection. I guess there is only one way to find out! Into the freezer they go for the next several weeks. I’ve been blaming all this pain on either too many hours at the computer or my age or both! This will be very interesting! Thank you so much…………….

Yup, go without grains and see what happens. I had arthritis in my 30s, but not in my 50s. Not many people can say that, unless they’ve given up grains.

39. Caitlin

My mom suffers from severe RA and by her own admission eats “tons” of wheat. However, the minute I brought up the possibility of her wheat intake aggravating it a fight started. Maybe I’ll get through..she knows there’s nothing wrong with saturated fat and cholesterol, but I’ll bet she hears so much misinformation where she works – a health food store.

I feel ya. I have friends with ailments I know are probably wheat-related, but they’re totally convinced whole grains are health food while meat causes cancer. All you can do for some people is bless them and let them go.

40. HealthyPickyEater.com

Giving up grains is one of the best things I’ve ever done regarding my health.

I used to have trouble sleeping at night. I would get a stuffy nose and have trouble breathing. I would usually have to get up several times and use my ‘snot medicine’, even though I didn’t have a cold and felt fine during the day.

I gave up the wheat and grains, including corn (it’s a grain, not a vegetable) to lose some weight, especially after reading books by Dr. Eades, Mark Sisson and watching Fat Head.

Not only did I lose weight (without really exercising), but I also noticed that I was no longer having trouble breathing at night. I’ll never again go back to eating anything wheat related.

Same here. I’ve experienced too many improvements to ever willingly give them up just to eat bread again.

41. Howard

42. Laurie

Cheers,
    Laurie

43. Roger

How enjoyable to see Howard’s story featured on your blog. His wife is my sister, and the transformation in their lives subsequent to their radical dietary changes has amazed us all. I was educated about the evils of sugar and grains via a couple of newsletters several years ago. The chronic pain I’d been experiencing in some joints vanished once I began the VLC dietary approach, and I’m able to maintain my weight with no problem. I’ve always liked eggs, cheese, meat, fresh veggies and nuts, and had eschewed many of those things, or severely limited them, in the past. The VLC diet has enabled me to stop worrying about my blood glucose as well as my weight. Thanks for all you do, Tom.

Your sister and brother-in-law were a pleasure to meet. Hard to believe they both weighed around 150 pounds more at one time.

44. WSB

What about a gluten free pizza night? California Pizza Kitchen is adding one soon.

I’m not sure there’s one near me.

45. Dianne

By the way, love “Big Fat Fiasco” and your cruise talk.

46. Judy B