My buddy Jimmy Moore interviewed me recently for an episode of The Livin’ La Vida Low Carb Show.  We talked about the new book for kids, of course, along with other topics.

I was pleased to hear that Jimmy liked the last chapter (It’s Perfectly Good to be Good Instead of Perfect) the best.  Most of that chapter is what I’d tell my adolescent self if I could go back in time.  I can’t go back in time, but I can deliver the message to kids (and adults) who read the book.

13 Responses to “On Jimmy Moore’s Podcast Show”
  1. sony says:

i’m sorry to say, but your friend jimmy moore is obese again, or at least that’s how he looks. and he has some pretty bad blood results. i’m affraid he’s not a good advertiser for this keto/paleo lifestyle. i respect you both, but i’m honestly curious about your objective opinion on this matter. i mean, i know some whole food plant based people which are still in awesome shape with best blood results, and i personally still don’t know which path to choose, so i’d be glad to have your answer on this matter. regards from transylvania 😉

• Tom Naughton says:

The proper comparison isn’t Jimmy on his diet to vegetarians (most of whom were never fat) on their diets. The proper comparison is Jimmy on his diet to Jimmy on other diets. He’s battling his genetics. His brother died of heart disease at age 42. His mother had gastric bypass surgery and lost 100 pounds, but it all came back over time — despite having a stomach the size of a tennis ball — because her body was programmed to be fat. That’s the hand he was dealt.

I lived on a vegetarian diet in my 30s, by the way. I got slowly fatter and sicker until I gave it up and went more paleo/low-carb.

• j says:

Just like there are whole food plant based people which are in horrible shape..

• Thomas E. says:

Not to beat on this too much, but selection bias can hide a lot of details.

Are there people who will be thin while being vegan or vegetarian, sure. Of course, there are many people who are thin but not healthy? So, just because a vegetarian is thin, does not mean they are healthy, right?

On the flip side, Jimmy may be heavy, but he is healthy. It is kind of funny that we judge health solely on a single metric, waist size.

Our medical world is funny. We measure gain using relative risk, but we measure side effects with absolute risk. Selection bias is king, look too much snow here, thus man made climate change, too much snow there, this global cooling. Look at the massive correlation over there, it must be causation.

At the end of the day we all have to take a huge step backwards, and where possible look at biochemistry and cell biology. Start with what we can demonstrate and go from there.

Genetics and epigenetics can be a real bitch. It is no fair, but that is the hand we are dealt.

• Tom Naughton says:

I’ll add two more points: 1) Jimmy used to weigh more than 400 pounds. In diet studies, “success” is defined as losing 10% of the starting weight and keeping it off. He’s kept off WAAAAY more than that. Much of his bulk around the middle is skin that never snapped back after the big weight loss — I know because he’s stayed at our house several times and I’ve seen him without a shirt. 2) When Jimmy visits for a week, we play so much disc golf, we end up walking 25-30 miles up and down the hilly land that makes up my course. I’ve never seen him become fatigued or out of breath, despite his size. Worse that ever happens is his elbow becomes sore from all the throwing.

• Thomas E. says:

Tom,

Thank you.

It will be interesting to see if over the years Jimmy’s epi-genetics and skin will catch up. One of the things of interest listening to his podcast with Dr. Nally is the stories of the Doc’s patients who will settle at a set-point (homeostasis) for a year or two, then all of a sudden lose more weight and skin.

regards,
          Thomas

• Tom Naughton says:

I hope for Jimmy’s sake that happens with him, but he’s accepted he may be at this current size for life. He’s done the smart thing and made being healthy his primary focus.

2. Firebird7478 says:

I first saw Fat Head on Hulu. It’s a shame they don’t carry it anymore.

3. sony again says:

since i somehow trust your sayings 🙂 i’m curious what you think about veganism, because i saw some “doctors” on youtube agressively promoting this lifestyle, like mcdougall, greger, etc. and in their videos they show many studies, so they say they’re backed up by science and by studies, especially rct’s. please respond. i’m a 37yo man, i have some health issues ( sebhoreic dermatitis, plantar fasciitis, hemmoroids, 10 kgs +, extreme fatigue, depression, numbness in feet) that i hope to resolve by changing my diet, so i don’t know what to choose, because i don’t want to screw my body. my present diet is a european one, i eat home raised eggs and milk, whole wheat bread and pasta, veggies, fruits (mostly bananas), pork once a week, chicken once a week, bio coffee, and a max of 4 teaspoons of sugar/day.

• Tom Naughton says:

They’re not backed by RTCs. Check their evidence, it’s almost always observational studies they cherry-picked. They won’t, for example, tell you about this recent observational study:

We found no evidence that following a vegetarian diet, semi-vegetarian diet or a pesco-vegetarian diet has an independent protective effect on all-cause mortality.

If a vegetarian diet conferred superior health, we’d see vegetarians living longer, healthier lives over and over in studies. But we don’t. I cited several other studies that negate what the vegan zealots will tell you in this post: http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2015/03/31/to-the-vegetarian-evangelists-updated/

If you’re looking for a diet to improve your health, go more towards a paleo diet. Cut out all sugar, grains and industrial vegetable oils. Eat real food with as little processing as possible.

• Thomas E. says:

From my experience, I had what would appear to be irritable bowel syndrome, that is to say, my trips to the bathroom were frequent and painful, and of course led to a sizeable hemorrhoid. For too much information, but that is where I was. Near 300lbs with a pain in the butt, sore knees and so on.

I cut way down on the sugar and got rid of the grains, lost weight, and bathroom trips became regular. After 3 years, as long as I stay away from refined wheat I am good.

I will freely admit I am a food addict, and of recent months have gotten back into the habit of eating popcorn and too much TexMex and have gained back too much weight. Too much popcorn or corn chips will cause a relapse of my IBS symptoms.

I do not know if I had “IBS” or not, and if it is gluten, the wheat, or what, but there is a direct correlation to between consumption of grains and IBS symptoms.

Too much sugar can also cause me issues, but I believe that is more a function of probably having a pretty fatty liver, and still not being 100% healed.

It is sad, there are far, far too many “facts” out there, and it scares the crud out of me that many governments of the word are doing their best to become the ones who get to chose which ones are fake.

So as great as Tom and Jimmy are, don’t stop there, check out Dr. Cate, Dr Attia, Dr. Lustig, Dr. Lustwig, Dr. Noakes, Dr. Phinney, Dr. Volek, Dr. Rhonda Patrick, Dr. D’Agastino, and more. Check out the all of Jimmy’s conference podcasts. Those lecture series are amazing, between detailed scientific information and far too much anecdotal evidence.

In the end, all I can do is thank people like Tom and Jimmy and all of the people listed above, and many others to bucked the system to investigate and spend time and real resources to explore our health. And yeah, many of them have been able to monetize their activities, but are we not allowed to make a living?