I spent a good chunk of the afternoon sleeping. That’s because last night I made the mistake of going to bed at 9:00 PM and trying to convince my brain it was actually 10:00 PM because some idiots in government say so. Just what a natural night-owl’s brain with insomniac tendencies needs: a reason to lie in bed awake. So, as seems to happen every year when @#$%ing Daylight Saving Time kicks in, I couldn’t sleep and gave up. I finally managed to get in a few hours this afternoon.

The good news is that when I woke up, Chareva told me some interesting reading material had arrived.

Yup, that’s our preview copy of the book. Actually, it’s the second preview copy. In the first copy, the left and right pages were swapped. That might not sound like a big deal, but Chareva spent an extraordinary amount of time designing two-page spreads that cover a concept. Often a cartoon on the left continues onto the right-side page.

So we now have exactly one copy with the left/right mixup. Maybe it will be like one of those mis-stamped coins and become worth an extra buck or two because it’s rare.

Anyway, we have to give the copy that arrived today one more careful look before calling it final. I expect to be able to announce the release date very, very soon.

In the meantime, I’ve got a @#$%load of work to do on the film, and not many weeks left to do it.

64 Responses to “Reading Material”
  1. Bob Niland says:

What app did y’all use to compose the book? Presumably it was something that seamlessly produces whatever the publisher needs (Ps or PDF), as well as eBook.

And have you picked a pub? I see a blanks space where the ISBN & UPC would be expected on the back cover.

• Tom Naughton says:

Chareva composed the book in Adobe InDesign. We’re publishing it ourselves through Ingram Spark. Chareva followed their template for where everything should go, so I hope we’re not missing info. My hand is covering a bar code.

Chareva will reformat the book for Kindle soon. We wanted to get the paperback done first.

• Bob Niland says:

You’re on top of it. Thanks for the info.

You seem to have a properly horrified look on your face from discovering the imposition error. It’s nice in the print-on-demand age that this can be limited to one copy, instead of pallet loads.

Congrats on getting the book done, and while your kids are still kids, although I expect it will be of great value to kids of any age, including the majority of people older than you are.

• Tom Naughton says:

Two of the authors who wrote cover blurbs (Paul Jaminet and Mark Sisson) recommended it for kids and 40-year-olds alike. I wanted to write something kids could understand, but of course we hope adults enjoy it too.

• Bob Niland says:

re: My hand is covering a bar code.

Be sure the ISBN is the only IP right that the publisher holds in the work.

I suspect you’re on top of that too.

2. Walter Bushell says:

Accident rates go up near the change to and from DST. Surprised you have time to post here at all. A book is a big enough thingie by itself but combined with a movie to be released at the same time is just enormous, plus holding down a full time job and taking care of two daughters and a farm with chickens.

Are you going to release an ebook version of the book?

• Tom Naughton says:

The ebook and Kindle versions will be next. Chareva will toggle between preparing those and creating cartoons as I need them for the film.

3. Lauren says:

Forgive me if this has been covered previously but do you guys go into any meal planning for kids in this? I feel like eating paleoish for breakfast and dinner is a cinch, but lunch continues to stump me. I’d love for my kids to get inspired and make something other than pb&j for themselves.

• Tom Naughton says:

We didn’t get into specific meal plans in this one. That would probably be a topic for a follow-up book. This one explains how and why different foods affect our bodies and our health.

4. Lauren says:

Oh, and a huge congratulations to you guys for getting this finished!

5. Dianne says:

You sound sort of like an insomniac friend of mine who posted on FB that she’d finally gotten a decent night’s sleep and DST still robbed her of an hour of it. Me, I love to see it come and hate to see it go, because as an old lady whose night vision leaves something to be desired (like the ability to see where I’m going), the earlier darkness falls the less freedom I have to hop in the car and go wherever. I just wish we could have DST all year round.

• Tom Naughton says:

I figure there’s an easy solution for that: people who like getting up earlier can do so.

• Dianne says:

Unfortunately, many activities are planned by people who can see to drive at night, or to accommodate people who work. That tends to exclude those of us with night vision problems for much of the year. DST extends the time I can take an evening class or drive myself when going out to dinner. I really enjoy crochet, but believe me, it doesn’t replace a social life!

• Dianne says:

BTW, didn’t we have this same conversation last year? Apparently neither of us has had a change of mind on the subject.

• Tom Naughton says:

We may have. I’ll hate DST as long as I live, or at least until I no longer have to get up and commute to work.

• Mike says:

Do the two of you really disagree? Dianne wants to stop switching and so do you. I think I’d be fine with staying on summer time or not, but either is preferable to switching twice a year.

• Tom Naughton says:

I see the appeal of not switching. Trouble is, waking up an hour before sunrise in February or March and trying to convince yourself it’s morning and time to get moving messes with the ol’ body clock. My brain knows good and well it’s not morning when I’m driving to work in total darkness.

• Thomas E. says:

A bit late, but, since this morning was the first morning where I was back to my routine, where I wake up almost exactly 1 to 3 minutes before my alarm goes off, but yet I still lay in bed until it does 😀 So the time change cause me to be less productive Monday, Tuesday and somewhat Wednesday.

That is unacceptable.

On occasion I have to travel to Austria on business, and yeah, it disrupts my sleep, but, well, I get compensated relatively well by the company for whom I work.

As far as leaving the clock one hour ahead, that does fall into the tyranny of the minority. And no offense to Dianne intended, but the solution for you has the potential for large unintended consequences for many.

The problem with poliTICKs today, the unintended consequences are usual riding around with bells and buzzers wearing high visibility clothing. And yet people still chose to ignore their existence.

I dislike seeing people losing their freedom because of a personal disability. But, gosh darn it, what a time to live in, that our biggest problem is missing social events because we can’t sit down in a large metallic personal transport mechanism at all times. Again, I don’t mean to make light of your issue, just trying to put it into perspective.

6. Babs_Rogers says:

Hi Tom, I have been out of the low carb loop for a few years now, but I visited your website recently and hopefully I’m going to get back into the lifestyle soon! It’s a challenge with my family and being busy with life happening. The only thing I continue to carry through the years is to cook with coconut oil! I can’t wait to get your book!!

My question is, do you have a post about good probiotics? What brand to use? I can’t find anything specific using the search function. The WAPF has some ideas, but wanted to see if you had done a post about it. Let me know. Thanks!

7. BobM says:

When can we buy this? And from where?

• Tom Naughton says:

It will be available on Amazon soon. I’ll make an announcement when it’s ready to order.

• Thomas E. says:

Congratulations!

Looks great, and I expect we will be ordering it when available.

I was wondering how the books were going to be retailed?

So do you get to drop ship from the printer straight to Amazon warehouses? That is, does Amazon tell you where and how many to ship?

How about Costco and other brick and mortar shops?

Many thanks,
        Thomas

• Tom Naughton says:

No brick and mortar shops just yet. When someone orders from Amazon, the printer takes the order, prints the book, and ships. Costs a wee bit more, but we don’t have to order 1,000 at a time. If the book is a smashing success, we’ll order in big batches to take advantage of the discount.

This printer has presses in the U.K., Europe and Australia as well, so they can take the orders and ship from the customer’s home region.

8. Dan D says:

Hello Tom,

I always enjoy your posts and your documentary as well. I came across an article you might like, in case you haven’t spotted it yet:

Cheers

9. Wayne Gage says:

I love DST…it’s the change that hurts. Down with Standard Time is my wish. Oh…and the even numbered pages are always on the left of an open book and the odd numbered pages are on the right. Just an observation.

10. Elenor says:

Congrats on the galley copy!! Do, absolutely, let us know when “pre-order” (as they call it {eye roll}, cause, you know, ordering and pre-ordering are sooooo different?!) so we can flood Amazon!

11. Walter Bushell says:

Misshaped coins? The classic example is the inverted “Jeeny” a 1918 US postage stamp with a face value of 24 cents and sold for $525K.

12. Cindy Jackson says:

Hey Tom,

Your blog and film are amazing and entertaining. Just a question, I am fairly normal 30 year-old woman. From your experience, do you think it is actually possible for me to lose 10 pounds on a 130 pound frame? using low carb?

13. Cindy Jackson says:

I want to add I am not as thin as your beautiful wife, but I dont have that much to lose. Part of me wonders if I will see health benefits but not necessarily the weight loss as some very overweight or obese people demonstrate. Sorry this is in two posts, I posted it before I could finish typing my question on mobile!

• Tom Naughton says:

My wife saw health benefits from the change in diet, but didn’t lose any weight because she’s already thin. You may have the same experience, or you may lose a few pounds if you’ve got them to lose. But at 130 pounds, I can’t believe you’d have much to lose.

• Firebird7478 says:

My sister, who will turn 49 this year, is a pain riddled mess who SHOULD weigh 125-130 lbs. but the fear of being “overweight” and fat
        has turned her into a pain riddled mess and it is throughout her body. My guess is that her total daily consumption of calories is 800-1,000 and it is all fat free stuff.

She’s been put in the hospital for her pain. I’ve taken protein bars in for her and the first thing she does is check the label for the fat content.

But at last she has a 6 pack, is built like a little boy and weighs 110 lbs.

• Tom Naughton says:

Ugh, that sounds like an awful existence.

• Firebird7478 says:

Tom she has a degree in exercise physiology and another in education. She started a special needs program at a local school district and taught there for many years until she couldn’t do it anymore. 2 years ago she had a pain pump put in. I wouldn’t go so far as to say a dietary change would be a cure, but I am convinced that the lack of fat and protein in her diet + being in constant starvation mode have had a major impact on her condition.

• Tom Naughton says:

It probably isn’t helping.

• Firebird7478 says:

I was discussing that with her 18 year old son last night. He guesses she’s on a 500 calorie fat free diet.

• Tom Naughton says:

Good grief, no wonder she’s in pain. She’s not giving her body the fuel or building materials it needs.

• Firebird7478 says:

Exactly and in his words, “You can’t tell her anything.”

• Walter Bushell says:

Lierre Keith has something to say about what happens in such a diet.

Among other things anorexia becomes blissful.

It is good I think she is no longer teaching kids. She needs to be locked up as a danger to herself.

14. Devin Van Curen says:

Yay! I’m a children’s librarian and I can’t want to buy this for the library!

15. Cindy Jackson says:

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it! I actually could lose the pounds. I was originally 120 at 5 foot 4 but i was hyperthyroid. They put me on this medication which packs on the pounds and i feel kind of bad about it. Its mostly fat and it looks pretty awful. I used to be 175 pounds when i was younger but i did lose it cutting the carbs, i just didnt do it on purpose. I grew up in an asian house where we ate a lot of rice and when i moved out, i stopped eating it. Btw total complete myth asians are skinny and healthy. Asians tend to have a very high body fat percentage and a high prevalence of diabetes. Its total bs asians are he