Limping Towards New Year’s

107 Comments on Limping Towards New Year’s

The end of a typical year for me is a sprint … finishing up work projects, shopping for gifts, preparing to leave town for the holidays, etc.  It’s a high-energy month.

The end of this year has been more of a limp.  My dad died two weeks ago and was cremated soon after, but his memorial service isn’t until Sunday.  My mom was understandably drained at the end of that experience and didn’t want to deal with the arrangements for awhile.  The Older Brother had to undergo knee surgery for a torn meniscus (same procedure I had two years ago) the next day and was out of commission for a spell.  So two weeks after the fact, there’s no real sense of closure.  Maybe Sunday will fix that.

(By the way, my dad told me years ago that when he died, he wanted us to dump his ashes in the water hazard on the 17th hole of the Lincoln Greens golf course — that way he could spend eternity with all this golf balls.  I doubt my mom was able to honor that request.)

I took a few days off from work after my dad died, then worked from home for a few days, then went back to the office.  Two days after that, I got socked with a head cold/sinus infection/ear infection or whatever the @#$% it is.  Haven’t had anything like this one in years.  The megadoses of vitamins C and D didn’t work their usual knockout magic.  Maybe I was overdue, maybe it was bad luck, or maybe emotional stress weakened my immune system just enough.

I still have the infection, and it’s been seriously zapping my energy.  I sleep 10 or so hours per night, then need a nap in the late afternoon.  Back in the day, I would have gone to a doctor, who would have prescribed an antibiotic, just in case the infection was bacterial instead of viral.  Now that I’ve learned quite a bit about the importance of the gut microbiome, I’m choosing to just wait it out.  I don’t want to decimate my gut flora unless absolutely necessary, which means I’ll only take an antibiotic when I’ve got a dangerous bacterial infection.

I’ve tried sit down and write a post or work on the book a few times, but my brain refuses to cooperate – probably because it doesn’t like residing in a head jammed full of gooey stuff.  So I’ve been going to work and then coming home and vegetating in front of the TV – after a nap, if need be.  I managed to get to the gym once for a workout, then came home and slept for two hours.

So like I said, I’m limping towards New Year’s this year.  We’ll attend the memorial service on Sunday (driving to Illinois and back all in one day, since we have dogs, hogs and chickens who need tending), then Chareva’s relatives start arriving on Monday for the holiday.  I apologize for the long absence, but I don’t expect to take up active blogging again until after New Year’s.

So to the Christians out there, Merry Christmas.  To the Jews, Happy Hanukah.  To followers of the Master of Sinanju, Merry Feast of the Pig.  And to everyone, Happy New Year.

See you in 2015.

p.s. – Thanks to all of you who posted kind comments about my dad.

107 thoughts on “Limping Towards New Year’s

1. Boundless

re: I don’t want to decimate my gut flora unless absolutely necessary, which means I’ll only take an antibiotic when I’ve got a dangerous bacterial infection.

And if you do go on an AB, take probiotics during the course, and probably for a month afterward.

1. Mary D

I’ve been in treatment, post-sinus surgery, for a couple of months now with ongoing sinus infections on the left side (right side’s clear) – many courses of different antibiotics. I’ve been taking probiotics twice daily throughout & it’s helping quite a bit. I can tell the difference between taking them and not.

Hope you get over your sinus thing soon, Tom – I know how miserable it is! 🙂

2. B35X

Good luck with your virus and I hope you feel better soon! I am sorry to hear about your dad’s passing away, and will pray for your family. Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year, Holidays and other celebrations throughout December.

1. Tom Naughton

Since Chareva’s side of the family is Jewish, our girls to experience a bit of both Christmas and Hanukkah.

3. B35X

1. Tom Naughton Post author

4. Glenda

Super Strength Oil of Oregano P73 taken with OregaMax, both by North America Herb & Spice Co. (see doses to take in the book “The Cure is in the Cupboard” by Dr. Cass Ingram), plus Primal Defense Ultra Probiotic by Garden of Life first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to begin with (see directions on bottle). This will knock it safely right out of you while maintaining & promoting your healthy gut flora (and, of course, avoid antibiotics, conventional medicines, & conventional docs at All costs). Hope you get well soon & feel better soon. “This, too, shall pass”…

5. Kim

Sorry to hear about your dad, may he rest in peace.

Have you tried rinsing your sinuses? I’m prone to sinus infections and banish them with sinus rinsing once or twice a day as soon as I feel one coming on. You mix up a batch of 1/2 tsp salt + 1/4 tsp baking soda + 2 cups warm water and flush each nostril with one cup of the solution. I sometimes make an extra half batch to give an extra rinse when it warrants. You can buy a sinus rinse kit at any drug store and likely, at WalMart or Target. Saves me from a doctor visit and a round of antibiotics. It takes me a few days to a week of flushing, but it gets better every day. And it’s very satisfying watching that gunk leave your body!

Good luck and hope you’re better soon!

6. Pat

Oil of oregano is awesome! I use it whenever I feel like a cold is coming and it knocks out the germs FAST! It and coconut oil are nature’s antibiotics; you should seriously consider trying it. Loved the tribute to your Dad; he sounds like he was such a wonderful Father. How lucky you are to have had him in your life Tom. And what a great legacy you have to pass onto your children. Merry Christmas and looking forward to reading you again in the New Year!

1. Tom Naughton

That’s one of the great things about this blog: I get the benefit of the Wisdom of Crowds just by reading comments. I hadn’t thought of oil of oregano, but I will be picking some up on the way home from work.

7. Glenda

1. Cindy C

Oil of oregano is so strong, just sniffing some will open your sinus cavities. I have never taken any by mouth(internally). Also you can try drinking some hot ginger tea. Lysine has been reported to reduce virus infections. Sorry about the loss of your dad. My dad is 93, and he plays golf 4 times a week, and even won some trophies in some tournaments.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

My dad loved golf and unfortunately began to succumb to Alzheimer’s just after he retired and could have played all week. I wish he was alive and out there shooting his age.

8. Ulfric Douglas

Is there something stopping you from doing what he wanted? ;
    “(By the way, my dad told me years ago that when he died, he wanted us to dump his ashes in the water hazard on the 17th hole of the Lincoln Greens golf course — that way he could spend eternity with all this golf balls. I doubt my mom was able to honor that request.)”
    My Dad’s about to die (probably) and thank goodness he never had any difficult “ashes” requests : he doesn’t consider the body to be of any significance after death.
    But your Dad … expressed wishes …

1. The Older Brother

Dad’s ashes will be getting delivered to Mom today. I will be planning a Spring or Summer outing at Lincoln Greens with a few friends and any of Dad’s buddies that want to play or just ride along. We will utilize the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” protocol with any course officials. Nothing unusual with a group of a dozen or so people having a golf outing.

My thanks also to all those who have expressed condolences.

Cheers!

9. Firebird

I use XClear, a xylitol wash, two shots in the nostrils each morning as a preventative measure. Seems to work. Vitamin Shoppe carries it. When things get out of hand I go to the saline solution and Sambucus (elderberry extract).

10. Kim

Sorry to hear about your dad, may he rest in peace.

Good luck and hope you’re better soon!

1. Dr. Rimas V. Janusonis

I second that recommendation — for sinus issues and colds, nasal saline irrigation is the treatment of choice. I can highly recommend the Neilmed brand (and no, I don’t get kickbacks from them — though I probably oughta).

1. Esther

I third that recommendation. I’ve successfully knocked out sinus infections over the years without using antibiotics by doing the sinus rinsing. Not to sound too icky, but you will be amazed what flushes out. What comes out when you blow your nose is only the tip of the iceberg. The Neilmed system is great, I highly recommend it.

I was so sorry to read about your dad, my sincerest condolences to you and your family. It sounds like one he was one in a million.

Wishing you, Chareva and the girls happy holidays and the very best in the coming new year!

2. Susan

I also use the sinuses rinses, on the advice of my daughter, who suffers more than her share of infections due to small sinus canals. I was worried about the “water board” sensation, but it never happened. It actually feels pretty good. It really does not feel like you’ve just snorted up water. I hope you get well soon so that you can enjoy the rest of the Christmas season with your lovely family.

3. Kim

It feels weird when you first start doing it, but gets to be no big deal once you’ve done it a few times. In fact, I now look forward to doing it when I need it.

11. Pat

1. Tom Naughton Post author

12. Linda

Tom- It is certainly nice to hear from you, even if briefly. I am so sorry you have been kicked so hard at this time! Many family members make fun of me, but when colds and the like strike I just have to make chicken soup! With plenty of garlic in it. It seems to comfort, even if it doesn’t cure. The other thing I do is the nasal saline irrigation and for extremely stopped up sinuses, I put about 10 or 12 drops of peppermint oil in about two cups of water boiling in a pot on the stove and breathe it in. It is magical for helping to clear out the “gooey stuff!”

I have thought often of your mother. She has certainly been through a lot and deserves rest and support now! I hope Sunday brings some closure to all of you and you are able to move on in the New Year! Best wishes to the older brother also as he recovers.

I know we’ll all look forward to the New Year and being back “with you” when you feel like it. Best wishes to you all!

Linda

1. Tom Naughton

I think this cold has about run its course — good thing too, since I’ll be spending 14 hours in a car on Sunday. Next time I’ll try the saline wash immediately … but of course I hope next time is 10 years from now.

13. Ulfric Douglas

Is there something stopping you from doing what he wanted? ;
    But your Dad … expressed wishes …

1. The Older Brother

My thanks also to all those who have expressed condolences.

Cheers!

1. Tom Naughton Post author

Holy Toledo, I didn’t realize you were actually going to do it! Awesome.

Dad, if you’re playing golf in Heaven, stick with the fairway woods and forget the two iron. As Lee Trevino said (while explaining why he’d hold a two iron over his head in case of lightning), not even God can hit a two iron.

14. Firebird

15. Bonnie

Dear Tom, I am sorry about your dad. A similar thing happened to me when my mother passed. Immediately after the funeral I felt myself getting sick and I was sick for 2 solid weeks. It is quite common scenario after a loved one passes even if you are super healthy. Anyway, I am sure you will be feeling better soon. I also want to thank you for your blog and all the work you do.

16. Linda

Linda

1. Tom Naughton Post author

17. Bonnie

1. Firebird

My niece died unexpectedly in 2006. The following year, everyone in our family was unusually sick, including me. I had illnesses that I never had before nor have I had since.

18. Andrés

I am sorry about your father. I wasn’t aware of those CW advices we were following blindly in time to help my mother either. We are very proactive with my father now (EPOC and BPH).

About the vitamin D megadose perhaps it is only a good idea for someone deficient as advised by Dr. Cannell. It is not effective for all viruses either.

About the vitamin C megadose I would like to clarify two things. First, it is not going to have any effect (except aiding with toxin disposal) in fungal infections. Second, it (almost) doesn’t matter how much you take if you don’t approach saturation (Paul Jaminet commented upon Dr. Cathcart some years ago) as the amount needed varies wildly. For a simple cold I saturate with 1g/hour, for a flu-like one I saturate with 1g/5min. You could consider the liposomal route too.

I wish you and your family the happier Christmas you can have.

19. Andrés

I wish you and your family the happier Christmas you can have.

1. Tom Naughton

If they cut me open, I want to avoid a possible infection. I’d take the antibiotics if that’s what the surgeon advised.

20. Deb

Let me second (or third or fourth) the oil of wild oregano thing; it is my go-to prevention and remedy. And I don’t get many colds, if ever, since I started regularly using saline nasal spray. You can make your own but the cheap stuff from Walmart works fine for me.

So sorry about your dad; he sounds like a great guy. I try to remember that sometimes a cold is your body telling you to slow down and maybe it gives more time for grieving.

21. Josh

Taking care of yourself so you can take care of your family is your first and most important obligation. The blog can wait. We will do fine without your insights.

I will also endorse nasal lavage. Especially, if you have a lot of mucus and/or your house atmosphere is dry during the winter. It’s not a miracle cure, but over time allows your nose and sinuses ( or sini??) to clean themselves and go back to normal behavior. Snorting a bit of the solution farther into your sinus helps also. Just be careful because it drip out at embarrassing times.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

22. Deb

1. Tom Naughton Post author

I’ve been taking oil of oregano since yesterday. I feel better, perhaps because of the oil, perhaps because the cold is about of of gas.

23. Erica

The stress of your dad’s passing probably did lower your immune system long enough for the opportunistic bugs to jump in. However, I also lean toward the spiritual side of things, and believe that your head cold is your body’s way to cry. I know that it makes no scientific sense, but when I’ve gotten bad colds, it usually is in response to something I’m either mourning or am depressed about.

Whichever it is, and possibly just one of those things, I hope you enjoy the last couple of weeks of the year with family, and we’ll be waiting for you on the other side. I, for one, enjoy your posts immensely, and am looking forward to the next one.

Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah!

24. Josh

25. Erica

Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah!

26. David Evans

Tom

You are a generous, giving and loving man. This manifests in people giving you generous and loving advice, and genuine heartfelt sympathy in your darker days.

I hope this collective outpouring of advice, concern, sympathy and love may help to comfort you.

27. David Evans

Tom

28. Jim Butler

“Master of Sinanju”…
    That got a chuckle 🙂

There is a serious bug going around. Knocked me and mama down for Thanksgiving. First time in 40yrs that I didn’t cook a turkey on that day. Most other folks I know are dealing with it now or are just getting over it. And all have had their a$$ kicked by it.

For the “other side” of the alternative medicine story, some of which is very helpful, other parts not so much, I highly recommend watching the comedian Tim Minchen perform “Storm”…available on Youtube 🙂

Good luck today, and be safe in all your travels.

In your well-wishes, you did leave out one of my favorites.

Happy Festivus to the Rest of Us. The time of year where we celebrate feats of strength and air our grievances. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Jim

29. Kathy in Texas

I’m so sorry for your loss – condolences to your entire family. He seemed to have been a really great guy.

On a happier/funnier note……..

All the various “happy” and “merry” wishes reminded me of a question I posed to my neighbor about whether she celebrated a specific holiday. Her response “I’m Buddhist, we celebrate them all!” Certainly piqued my interest Buddhism.

30. Jim Butler

“Master of Sinanju”…
    That got a chuckle 🙂

Good luck today, and be safe in all your travels.

In your well-wishes, you did leave out one of my favorites.

Jim

1. Jim Butler

An understandable omission 🙂

Hope you are somehow making it through all of these challenges.

As the churches say: “This too shall pass…”

Probably the only thing from religion that I find worth quoting.

Jim

31. Kathy in Texas

On a happier/funnier note……..

32. Thomas E.

Tom,

Just wanted to pass along my condolences.

As well, thank you for your blog, your movie, and to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas.

Thomas

33. Thomas E.

Tom,

Just wanted to pass along my condolences.

Thomas

34. Eric from Belgium

One of the simplest way to know whether antibiotics are necessary or not is to check the color of the expectorations (yes, I know, yucky…)
    If it is clear, then it is most likely a viral infection. Antibiotics are useless.
    If colored yellowish or green, then it is more than likely bacterial, and antibiotics will help, and /or prevent the potential onset of pneumonia, which can be serious news….

Me and my brother call it the ‘self-unemployed disease’, we both feel as contractors that we do not have the luxury of time off sick, which has both led us to these consequences…

My humble advice regarding essential oils is that I have found that they are either an excellent placebo, or have near magical effect.

Those that I found useful are
    -Tea tree oil, or Niaouli: fantastic antibiotic / disinfectant. Try them in inhalation.
    -Lavender aspic (*not* the other lavenders) : great on treating burns
    -Estragon / tarragon: deals with stress and digestive issues
    -thyme: great germ killer, but beware that some varieties can be noxious

I recall that a long time ago, when I was living in UK, I asked my neighbour, a Jewish MD, if he had a miracle cure for the cold.
    He told me to drink tea, with a good dose of honey, lemon juice and a good glug of whisky.
    Looking at him I naively asked ‘seriously, does this work ?’
    He replied ‘Who cares, it tastes good!’

On that note, wishing you the best, and a happy new year to you and your family.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

Thank you, Eric. Based on what I’ve read, this could be bacterial, but I’m trying to shake it without antibiotics.

1. PJ (RightNOW)

Tom, not sure if you’re crazy enough to consider advice from ongoing followers on your blog lol. But after a long series of talks after reading some old stuff I won’t bore you about (related to a 1930’s guy who claimed the ears were the source of cold transmission, and a friend with a medical ear problem since childhood, and our previous ongoing use of h202 in the ears), I discovered that a 2% Lugol’s (that’s very dilute) in the ears has an amazing effect on either promptly killing those ‘coming on’ headcolds, or helping kill the ones in swing.

If I have no infection, I feel nothing from it. A little infection, it’s a little uncomfortable. A lot of infection, and it hurts like a mutha for awhile (an hour or so, then it fades to uncomfy for awhile) — I “feel the war going on” in every gland through the neck, jaw, etc. in that case. Iodine’s what the thyroid uses to kill bad guys, not sure if that’s relevant, but I have used this many times and, aside from an ouch-factor directly related to how much problem I seemed to have to begin with (once, it was pretty bad, because I had an actual ear infection along with it, it had seemed), I’ve had no result except the pretty prompt tanking of my illness. If I really had something bad going I often used it a few times on both sides.

Possibly worth what you pay for it, and you know what they say about advice from the internet. 🙂 But 2% is pretty dilute, iodine is natural for the body, and the ears are a direct route to major glands related to the breeding/infection of many viral illnesses. Still might be worth considering. If it’s really obnoxious, you can find my info from palyne.com’s domain registrar, come to Oklahoma and git me. 🙂

PJ

1. Tom Naughton Post author

From what I’ve read, iodine used to be the go-to disinfectant and antibiotic, so that doesn’t sound crazy at all.