After reading about my experience gutting a raccoon and making Chicken-Killer Stew, a friend of mine promised he’d try to find this cookbook and send it to me.

I bet Granny knows how to make a good possum pie.

15 Responses to “My Next Cookbook?”
  1. Lisa says:

Jed Clampett: That’s the thing about possum innards. They’s just as good the second day!

2. JT says:

Hahaha, email me your mailing address and I will send you my copy of “White Trash Cooking”. It contains wonderful recipes such as “Kitchen Sink Tomato Sandwiches” and “Roasted Possum and Sweet Potatoes”. (I never made any of them)

3. Pam says:

And notice how thin Granny is!!!

4. Firebird says:

The one and only funny scene in the Beverly Hillbillies movie was Granny forcing Jed to stop the truck to pick up some roadkill off the road so she could take it home and make a stew out of it.

5. kfg says:

I prefer woodchuck to raccoon. They’re lower on the food chain. On the other hand, that means they don’t spend a lot of time in your chicken coop.
    The only downside is that if you think they smell bad on the outside . . .

The hats aren’t as attractive, but more waterproof. Woodchucks are a grease ball, inside and out.

• Tom Naughton says:

If any around here start chucking my wood, I’ll turn them into dinner.

• kfg says:

No worries about them chucking your wood, because the time they don’t spend in your chicken coop they spend in your vegetable patch. One might even use a vegetable patch simply as meat bait. From a little spinach, a mighty woodchuck (or rabbit) grows.

They also seem to have a particular fondness for poppies. The little opium fiends have completely eradicated mine. I’m not sure I want to know what a woodchuck coming down is like, but I’ve got a feeling I’m going to find out.