150 thoughts on “Victory!

1. Bill Murrin

I wonder if we would be looking at the same epidemics if “adulterated” lard had never been introduced to the food supply in the late 1800’s? The early 1900’s marks the major marked increase of heart disease in the U.S., it is only a few decades after the introduction of adulterated lard (cottonseed oil). Then followed the introduction of vegetable shortening/hydrogenated oils. How much of the current heart disease decrease is due to dietary trans-fat reduction? Not much to do with your post, but the picture made me think…

I am so happy, I tweeted the Time Cover to @CountryCrock and said goodbye old friend. 🙂

2. June K

OMG! They actually got it right! Saturated fats are good for you, refined carbs are the problem. I think the earth just shifted on its axis.

1. Peggy Sue

Unfortunately, they probably still think refined carbs don’t include the “heart-healthy whole grains”, so they’ll still be pushing that stuff.

3. Justin McCullough

I’m actually surprised that the dietician didn’t say something like “we’ve always known , but” or something.

1. Kathy from Maine

There was an article similar to this in one of the women’s magazines (don’t remember which one, and didn’t keep it). Naturally, they ended the article with the recommendation that despite these new findings, you should still base your diet on lean meats (red meat only a couple times a week at most), chicken, fish, healthy seed oils like olive oil, and lots of fruit, vegetables, and healthywholegrains.

4. Walter Bushell

Before I post this to my friends I agona have to see this on the news stands. I just can’t believe it.

One major canon or is that cannon changes sides. The battle is not yet won, the forces of resistance remain strong and have friends and employees in high places.

Remember we are not fight not against flesh and blood, but a whole spirit of the age, against Powers and Principalities. So we should not eat the vegans not even the good Dr. Ornish, besides he’d taste terrible and we’d have to waste too much fat cooking him to make him remotely palatable.

And the video also came out against refined carbs. It’s OK, very few people eat whole grains because without sugar and fat they taste *bad*.

No one eats whole grain pasta and only a few fanatics bother with brown rice. My brother in law, say he ate brown rice once and has no intention of doing it again. Not in those words, I mean this is a family blog. (As if the kiddies don’t know more obscenities than I do.)

1. Tom Naughton Post author

A battle is won, but the war rages. The USDA will, of course, continue to impose low-fat meals on kids.

1. Firebird

I use to work for a regional sports network and we extensively covered the bad relationship between a team and the parents of their star player. One of the team’s color analysts said to me, “If bad parenting were a crime, these two would get life sentences.”

I think the same could be said about dietary advice.

1. B35

I saw that on the AHA website too. Obviously the AHA must really hate meat and love carbs, sugar, corn oil, and other supposedly “good food”
          Forget them, I am going to have a steak with lots of butter.

2. NM

Evil “Sat” says:
          “The more time you and I spend together, the better chance I’ll have to clog your arteries and break your heart”

Note there’s no reference for this emotive nonsense.

Then, they show you examples of foods where you most find all these evil fats:

The examples they provide of the apotheosis of lipidinous evil are: chicken pot pie (with a nice big WHEATY crust), BREADED mozzarella sticks (with a nice sweet dip, no doubt), french fried POTATOES with chilli and cheese, carrot CAKE and a bacon-egg-and-cheese breakfast BISCUIT.

Well done AHA. These are indeed prime examples of products made *entirely* of fat AND NOTHING ELSE that might be an issue.

1. NM

Oh, and I forgot to mention. On the right-hand side of this *completely objective* AHA demonisation of saturated fats appears the following:

“CanolaInfo proudly supports the Face the Fats campaign and website”.

I bet they do!

2. Tom Naughton Post author

Hmmm, here’s an interesting bet: which will be the first to admit saturated fat isn’t harmful, the USDA or the AHA? Either would have to make a thoroughly embarrassing about-face.

1. Kevin Furr

Have to do an age-check on the leadership of those orgs. Because it’s not going to happen until the incompetents running the show die off (or at least retire).

2. Tony Dickson

Cannons go “boom,” but then again canon sometimes goes “Boom” as well.

I thought that Time cover was a Photoshop joke too! Too good to be true!

3. Kathy from Maine

Actually, I know a lot of people who go out of their way to buy whole-wheat pasta and other forms of pasta. I love brown rice, and know a lot of people who won’t eat white rice anymore, but love brown rice.

Just sayin’.

5. Phyllis Mueller

Wow. Except, of course, she didn’t mention that saturated fats raise HDL. The “big, fluffy” and “small, dense” were good. And the parts about bagels and cookies.

1. jake3_14

According to the interpreters of research that I highly respect — Chris Masterjohn, Chris Kresser, Zoe Harcombe — they’ve mentioned that after you apply the right statistical analysis to studies of LDL particle size, that factor’s irrelevant.

1. Stuart

I respect there opinions also but I think they are wrong on the statistical elimination of particle size. If you actually look at the data you still want to be in the group with the lowest number of small particles regardless of the total number. The number of people with the highest particle counts (also have the highest number of small particles) is much larger (than the group with high particles but low small particles) which distorts the data to highest particle counts. They have been fooled by statistical magic. Ron Krause clearly understands this.

1. Alexandra M

I have yet to read the actual article, but it seems to me that since Teicholz’s book is based on facts that are publicly available, it would be hard to prove plagiarism. They probably should have given her a nod, though, since the splash that her book made finally has brought the issue to the attention of the general public. At least it seems so and I hope so.

2. Jeff C

Love the tweet but wouldn’t a justified follow up be:

@bigfatsurpise Your book on fat is lifted entirely from @goodcaloriesbadcalories and shameful.— Gary Taubes (@garytaubes) June 17, 2014

It didn’t actually happen but people in glass houses…

6. Kerstin

It is of course hilarious that, after watching to the article, the ad preceding the video was for Honey Graham Crackers (whole wheat though 🙂 )

Thanks for sharing

7. Rae

I’m thinking of framing the cover and putting it in my dining room/kitchen area. It only makes sense, considering how much butter we eat.

8. Alexandra M

But why, oh why, does the placard with Joy’s Takeaways say “More Fat = More Weight Gain?” (at 1:40). I didn’t hear her say that. Perhaps the person assigned to making the placard saw “More Carbs = More Weight Gain” and figured it MUST be a typo, because, you know, FAT.

*sigh*

1. B35

I am guessing because you are just adding more food on top of more food to the point where any nutritional benefit of eating fat is effectively destroyed.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

If you’re eating a diet that encourages fat-storage, you don’t want to add more fat to store.

1. Kristin

Nah, I’m with you, Alexandra. This got edited. It is not the simple crisp message being delivered. Someon was caught with their low fat pants down on this. Pretty funny.

9. Laurie

Have you seen the movie “Fed up” yet? I just wanted adopt that pre teen girl for the summer and show her pics of me as a kid and tell her it will be o.k. and that there is hope to lose weight without deprivation. I can’t wait to get my hands on that Time magazine at work and show my fellow cashiers the cover with a big smile and a “Told you so” gloat! 🙂 Missed you both on the cruise this year!

10. Jill

Typical TIME mag, blames the scientists not the govt goofballs wh0o implemented all this nonsense.

Tom, here are some more photos of Michelle Obama’s “healthy” school lunches, photographed by the poor kids who had to eat them. From April, but ICYMI:

Michelle Obama’s children certainly aren’t served anything that repulsive looking at their school, they have real wholefood that tastes good and is good for you.

1. Walter Bushell

Didn’t Mrs. Obama state that hers was a bacon and eggs family. Googles

Well that link says bacon anyway for her and her hubby.

Well we don’t expect politicians to walk as they (officially) talk.

And remember that they have chefs, so they could have the very best vegan or low fat diet possible with no extra work.

4 rashers of bacon in every school lunch!

1. Tom Naughton Post author

And let’s not forget Newsweek suggesting we may have to use nuclear weapons to melt the polar ice caps to avoid another ice age.

2. Stuart

This same edition has an article on climate change and how Americans don’t seem to want to get with the program. That writer needs to read the “eat butter” article and understand that climate change science is on the same track as fat and cholesterol. Observations don’t mean causation and the actual science doesn’t support the political consensus.

1. Bret

I think global warming skepticism will have a much harder time breaking into the mainstream than low fat skepticism. I hear far too many people–including many low carb experts, amusingly–comparing global warming skeptics to kooks/drunks/dolts/child molesters/grave robbers/mattress tag removers/etc to be very optimistic about a grassroots-inspired sea change in popular thought.

Where I am optimistic on this issue, however, is that I doubt the global warming alarmist elitists will be able to galvanize the necessary political will to severely disturb the long-term economy before a natural cooling cycle proves them dead wrong. Then, they will pretend they never believed in GW to begin with, just like they pretended they never believed in the ice age nonsense four decades ago.

The elitists, by the way, would rather only we non-famous and non-rich riffraff reduce our ‘carbon footprint.’ Evidently, they think the concept need not apply to themselves, as I just finished reading about in a shocking and hilarious chapter in a book titled ‘Hollywood Hypocrites.’ Harrison Ford, Leo di Caprio, George Clooney, and other Hollywood loudmouths tell us all to stop destroying the planet with our carbon emissions, but then own several private jets, which they routinely use, damage the environment on the foreign sets of their movies, etc. Oh, but at least they drive hybrids to well publicized events, so that everyone will see them setting the example. Pretty funny, and infuriating at the same time.

I’m really glad the federal government and many state governments subsidize the Hollywood industry with our tax dollars, by the way. (sorry, rambled way off topic…once I start, it’s hard to stop) 🙂

1. Tom Naughton Post author

I like Al Gore’s method of excusing himself. When it came out in the press that his house consumed 20 times as much electricity as an average house, he explained that he buys carbon credits to make up for it. He didn’t mention that he bought those credits from a company he owned. So now if I feel I’ve used too much electricity, I transfer money from my personal savings account to my business savings account and call it even.

When people have to stoop to comparing people who disagree with them to Holocaust deniers or criminals, that means they’re out of ammunition. I consider that a victory. I liked the reply Prof. Robert Carter (author of “Climate: The Counter-Consensus”) gave when someone called him a global-warming denier: “I’m not a denier; I’m a skeptic. Scientists are supposed to be skeptics.”

1. Bret

Here are a couple of good lines from the book, now that I’ve had time to retrieve them:

“When [Clooney] was called out on his environmental hypocrisy…[his] publicist…replied, ‘You clearly have no understanding of certain people’s need for private transport,’ adding that Clooney has ‘no control’ over where and when he travels.” Poetry.

“…Obama lectured a father of ten that he should by a hybrid van (which are not sold in the United States)…[while on a three-day trip, he] racked up 10,666 miles on Air Force One, burned 53,000 gallons of fuel, and cost you and me the tax-payer $180,000.”

He turned Gore upside down and inside out as well…too many gems from that section to even pick one!

1. Walter Bushell

I expect this upcoming article to be a best seller. And yes Time is on the newstands including my local Barns and Noble.

11. Boundless

I don’t read Time, even in waiting rooms, but I understand that the present article did not apologize for that 1984 cover, nor for this one from 1961:

To borrow something from a comment of mine on another blog, this amounts to:
    “We today admit that we have zero credibility, but we have some important news, so pay attention.”

It’s great that recognition of the low fat mistake is permeating popular culture, but this particular messenger needs to continue to be treated with great suspicion.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

Well, in fairness, I don’t expect today’s TIME editors and reporters to take the blame for the actions of their predecessors, but yes, an acknowledgment of the magazine’s role in promoting low-fat diets would have been cool.

1. Luke

They did refer to their role in the past. They didn’t mention the 1984 article, but they did mention that part of the cause of all this was the Ancel Keys fiasco and they mentioned that they had him on the cover of Time in the past.

12. The Older Brother

Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!

That clip was hysterical. Now we are treated to a lecture by Nutritionist and total expert Joy Bauer on how to eat right. Here’s a clip from one of your old posts:

“The bad news is that when I looked at the breakfast menu in the hotel, there was a section called Joy Bauer’s Healthy Options. The “healthy” options were (of course) an egg-white omelet with steamed vegetables, oatmeal, a fruit and juice combo with low-fat yogurt, whole-grain pancakes, whole-wheat toast, and some kind of turkey sausage concoction. In other words, “healthy” means low fat and/or whole grains.”

And right next to her, cheering this stunning new revelation, is poor Al “I can’t believe I had half my guts ripped out because I listened to this piece of sh!t sitting next to me” Roker.

Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!

She shouldn’t have been giving a lecture, she should’ve been drowned in a vat of corn oil.

Cheers

1. Tom Naughton Post author

She’s taking a page from the CSPI playbook: ignore your previous bad advice as if it never happened.

13. Dave, RN

On the video at 1:41 the poster says “-more fat = more weight gain”.

Sounds like they are still saying, at least on the poster “eating fat will make you fat”.

So who’s going to follow the advice to eat butter and saturated fat when the poster says it makes you fat?

Am I reading that right?

1. Nads

In my experience, slathering anything in butter makes me eat less, even though it tastes better. The bagel and butter would be the whole meal. Of course before I was off sugar it was a different story.

14. Khyleen Schwarzenberger

YES, YES, YES, YES…..OH MY YES…..I feel like Meg Ryan in the movie “When Harry Met Sally”! I invite you to watch the NBC News report with further info…. Tom Naughton has known this and tried to tell us all this for years!

1. Tom Naughton Post author

“I’ll have what she’s having.”

Does this mean you’re faking your … uh … elation?

15. Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People

First, when she says at 0:34 “Butter is no longer the enemy.” No, genius, it never was the enemy.

Second, I wouldn’t run around pointing to this cover and shouting, “I told you so!” We’ve been saying for years that the popular media can’t be trusted to accurately report complex topics. To suddenly point to this example where they happen to get it right would be hypocritical.

Sure, point it out to people who you believe do accept mass media uncritically. Get them to the right conclusion even if they don’t understand the argument. Just don’t think that this is actually proof of anything.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

Exactly why it’s a victory: lots of people out there still believe if TIME says it, it must be true.

1. B35

It’s amazing what they can convince people to believe by turning the types of fat into cartoon characters, if you notice “Sat and “Trans” are overweight, while “Mon and “Poly” look slimmer, it becomes really obvious the messages the AHA is trying to push.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

Yup. Someday the AHA advice and cartoons will be the “Reefer Madness” dietary equivalent.

16. 1956okie

Interesting that this same week, AARP’s newsletter has an article with Dean Ornish wailing about fat and how his diet has saves lives and how people should focus on a low-fat, plant-based diet. People trust AARP, too, sadly.

1. June K

I wish I could give the reference, but recently I read or heard an article bashing Dr. Ornish. It basically said that most researchers do many studies with hundreds of participants to establish their career. Dr. Ornish’s entire career is based on one study with 8 people. He never did a follow-up with a larger, varied group of participants.

17. Mark

Waiting for the lawyer flood gates to open now. Wonder if Time magazine admit they were ever wrong in this issue?

18. Dan

Excellent!! Now, I just need this to trickle down to my Life insurance provider, so they can drop my premiums that were raised due to elevated LDL and total cholesterol. Should happen any day now.

19. tony

Ancel Keys, Colin Campbell, drs. Neal Barnard, John McDougall and Dean Ornish must be rolling in their graves.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

I believe only Ancel Keys is in a grave. The rest are likely busy writing articles about why they’re right and TIME is wrong.

2. Kevin Furr

Yeah 4 ofr those 5 would more likely be scratching wildly at their coffin lids and screaming for help about now.

20. ethyl d

Did you notice how happy the others on the panel were at the thought of eating butter and chicken skin? They intuitively know those are good things.

21. Walter Bushell

There was an article in the NYT about non alcoholic fatty liver disease. Fatty food, especially saturated animal fat are the remedial and the surge in non alcoholic fatty liver disease has been augmented by the pushing carbs and demonizing fat. Oh yes, its the yolk of the egg that has all the nutrients — this pushing of egg white omelets and egg replacers has been killer.

If what I read is correct their is a pill, but its choline which is not an “ethical drug”, so no one makes money. Oh, yes and stop eating sugar, that’s number one.

22. B35

My money says that now CSPI, the AHA, USDA, and pretty anybody who supports low fat is now going into denial and regroup mode.

I myself am going to summer school soon to get an extra class out of the way, and it also includes a unit on nutrition which I am pretty sure tells us we need to make half our grains whole and eat healthy low-fat coco puffs and have 300g of carbs.

The worst part is, most kids will buy into it.
    *facepalm*

23. Kevin Furr

Well one thing’s for sure, for the first time in God knows how long I’ll actually buy a Time magazine. If I can find it. (Do they actually still print it???)

24. B35

I just got informed from one of my friends that during our health summer school class we will be watching supersize me. Great, more kids convinced that mcdonalds purposely makes people fat.

1. B35

Great idea, and I am already trying to undo the damage the low-fat diet will do by telling my friends who ask about it that supersize me is 100% baloney and that a low-fat diet means you will eat lots and lots of sugar.

1. Walter Bushell

If “Supersize Me” were baloney it would be an improvement. However, it is post digestion baloney.

25. Angela

My parents subscribe to TIME & I just finished reading the article. It’s a pretty well-written piece with both advocates & critics of saturated fat mentioned. Probably the most startling part I liked was an illustration displaying what’s increased & decreased in the standard American diet with HFCS increased over 8800% while whole milk decreased by 78%. I’m ready to shoot Ornish though. There’s no sense arguing w/those whose brains are fat-deprived. I enjoyed 2 elk burgers for dinner tonight & I’m never gonna give up red meat!

I’m nearly done reading Primal Body, Primal Mind & received Big Fat Surprise & Death by Food Pyramid recently. I’m reading 1 book a week now & still have many more to go through.

26. Justin B

I did notice that on the Today Show clip, Joy tried to shoehorn this “revelation” into her existing paradigm. She said something like “We all know that saturated fat raises your LDL, BUT! we now know that the kind that it raises are the large fluffy kind”. From my understanding, whether or not LDL is raised by saturated fat at all, is hit or miss in studies. I guess its easier to further clarify existing knowledge than to completely replace it.

1. Tom Naughton Post author

It is hit or miss as far as total LDL, but fat does seem to shift the pattern towards the large fluffy variety.

27. Curtis

I read this article at work just a few days ago Tom,

All the folks who for the last 20+ years have been yelling from the roof tops that the foods our grandparents ate are healthy are finally starting to get the credit they deserve.

That includes you, Gary Taubes, Michael and Mary Eades, Sally Fallon and a man that started my journey Weston A. Price and many others.

Reeducating folks takes time but this article in a major magazine is a great start.:)

28. Flaming Freedom LGBT Radio

Yes, folks. The Earth is round, not flat, and fat is an important nutrient. I’m bragging to people that I already knew this because Fathead was saying it before it was “cool”. Good to see Tom vindicated by the MSM.

1. Jean

They’re cutting the protein, salt and fat, and adding vegetables and starches. Of course, when I ask for double veggies and no starch, I’m sometimes refused. I can’t eat most of the shoe-leather main course meat, so I get a bunless burger with whatever real cheese they have on hand, and add some butter at the salad bar, when they have it. Fortunately, I don’t have to eat there, but it’s convenient and cheap for lunch.

29. Kristin

I got my WebMD newsletter on cholesterol that my company so thoughtfully sends me. Twelve cooking tips for lowering my cholesterol including hearthealthywholegrains, no saturated fat, use seed oils etc etc. And even better, the ten best diet plans for high cholesterol including Ornish, vegan, Engine-House (an even more dour version of vegan) , Mediterranean, and DASH.

Apparently they didn’t get the memo…

30. Nate

Jeez, I’m late for the party! The article is better than I expected. He quoted many LCHF experts, which tickled my ego as I almost know them, well, maybe not know them but I’ve read their names many times. Anyway, another treat was that he slammed refined carbs almost as much as he vindicated fats.

I agree with Tom that we’ve won our first battle. However, I must say that Dr. Oz was the first skirmish that we won. He was a vocal vegetarian with the backing of a very wealthy and vocal supporter. Oprah. Then, out of the blue, he had Gary Taubes on his show. Even though Oz gave him a hard time, Oz must have listened and read his book. Because soon after Taubes was on his show, several other LCHF experts were featured.