Thank goodness for Health.com.  According to an article I read online today, some of my dietary habits are draining me of energy.  Let’s take a look:

Who doesn’t wish for more energy at least a few dozen times a day?

I don’t.  (I hope I’m not alone in that regard. If most people are wishing they had more energy two to three times every hour they’re awake, those zombie movies aren’t as far-fetched as I thought.)

Of course, you know that a good night’s sleep, regular exercise, and effective stress management can give you a much-needed boost. But to further figure out why you’re slumping, you need to pinpoint the energy-sucks in your diet. (Hint: Those low-carb meals aren’t doing you any favors.)

Dangit!  And here I thought my energy level was pretty high for a guy coming up on his 55th birthday.  During the daylight hours last weekend, I spent my time sawing logs, tossing the sawed logs aside to saw more logs, and weed-whacking my way through some briar.  After the sun went down, I programmed some updates to a software package I sell to law firms.  Oh, and I also played 72 holes of disc golf while taking work breaks from the logs.  Now that I know I did all that in an energy-depleted state, I feel kind of foolish.

Anyway, here are the energy-draining mistakes Health.com says I may be making:

You go long stretches without eating

Guilty as charged.

Food Fix: Snack early, snack often

Every time you go more than two hours or so without eating, your blood sugar drops — and that’s bad news for your energy.

Hmmm … as I write, it’s been six hours since my last meal.  So out of curiosity, I pulled the glucose meter out of my desk drawer and checked my blood sugar.  It’s 90 mg/dl.  I’m pretty sure that’s not considered low.  Once or twice per week, I do a 24-hour intermittent fast – dinner one day to dinner the next.  I’ve checked my glucose at the 23-hour mark.  It’s always in the 80-90 mg/dl range.  So I’m thinking if your blood sugar drops to the point where you feel drained just two hours after a meal, it may have something to do with what you eat.

Food supplies the body with glucose, a type of sugar carried in the bloodstream. Our cells use glucose to make the body’s prime energy transporter, adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Your brain needs it. Your muscles need it. Every cell in your body needs it.

Time to dig out the books on metabolism again.  I was under the impression most of the cells in our bodies can also burn fatty acids or ketones for fuel.

But when blood sugar drops, your cells don’t have the raw materials to make ATP. And then? Everything starts to slow down. You get tired, hungry, irritable and unfocused.

Tired, hungry, irritable, unfocused … yes, I remember that feeling.  I experienced it rather often when I was on a low-fat diet and depended on regular infusions of carbohydrates to keep my blood sugar up.  Back in those days, I would have been a sucker for advice such as:

Grab a bite every two to four hours to keep blood sugar steady.

I had to take a couple of business calls and answer some emails while writing, so now it’s going on seven hours since my last meal.  According to Health.com, that means I’m at least three hours overdue for a snack .  I’d better check my blood sugar again.  Hang on a second …

… Uh-oh.  My glucose has plummeted to 89.  Anyway, on to the next mistake and fix.

Your breakfast is too “white bread”

Energy, thine enemy is a sugary breakfast: pancakes, white toast, muffins and the like. Instead, start your day with soluble fiber (found in oatmeal, barley and nuts).

“It dissolves in the intestinal tract and creates a filter that slows the absorption of sugars and fats,” explains Dr. David Katz, founder of the Yale Prevention Research Center and author of “Disease Proof.”

In fact, research shows that choosing a breakfast with either soluble fiber or insoluble fiber — the kind in whole-grain breads and waffles — actually protects against blood sugar spikes and crashes later in the day.

Well, there’s my problem.  I don’t eat whole-grain breads or waffles for breakfast.  If I eat breakfast at all, it’s eggs and some kind of meat.  But I often skip breakfast because I’m just not hungry.  Part of the reason I’m not hungry is that my glucose is always in the 80-90 range when I wake up.  Since Health.com has informed me that going without eating for more than four hours will cause low glucose, I’m considering setting up the video camera in our kitchen so I can catch myself raiding the refrigerator while sleep-walking.

A smart start: cereals with at least 5 grams of fiber a serving and whole-grain breads with 2g per slice.

Yeah, start your day with cereal or bread.  Then grab a snack within the next two to four hours, because your blood sugar will be dropping.  I wonder if there’s a connection?

The next two mistakes the article lists are eating the wrong kinds of vegetables and avoiding red meat entirely.  No complaints there.  But here’s the final mistake and suggested fix:

You’ve cut one too many carbs

Food Fix: Hello, whole-wheat pasta and potatoes!

Carbs help your body burn fat without depleting muscle stores for energy.

So if you keep raising your glucose every two to four hours so every cell in your body can burn glucose for energy without even tapping your glycogen stores, your body ends up burning fat.  Makes sense.

The ideal diet is 50 to 55% complex carbohydrates, 20 to 25% protein and 25% fat.

In a Tufts University study, women on a carbs-restricted diet did worse on memory-based tasks compared with women who cut calories but not carbs. And when the low-carb group introduced them back into their diet, their cognitive skills leveled out.

I see.  So here’s the advice in a nutshell:

1. Start your day with cereal, bread or waffles.
  2. When your blood sugar plummets two hours or so after eating the cereal, bread or waffles, have a snack to raise your blood sugar.
  3. When your blood sugar drops two hours or so after eating the snack that raised your blood sugar, have another snack to raise your blood sugar.  By constantly raising your blood sugar to make sure you burn glucose for fuel, you end up burning fat.
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until your next meal — which should be 50-55% carbohydrates to make sure your body produces enough blood sugar.
  5. When your blood sugar drops two hours or so after eating a meal that’s 50-55% carbohydrate (to make sure you produce enough blood sugar), have a snack to raise your blood sugar.
  6. Research at Tufts University shows that after conditioning yourself to require a carbohydrate snack every two hours or so to keep your blood sugar from plummeting, cutting back on carbohydrates will cause your blood sugar to plummet — which means you’ll do worse on memory-based tasks.  So don’t cut back on the carbohydrates.
  7. If you  accidentally forget to eat carbohydrates every two hours or so and your blood sugar plummets and causes you to do worse on memory-based tasks, eat more carbohydrates to raise your blood sugar and level out your cognitive abilities.  But don’t forget to have a snack two hours later to raise your blood sugar after it starts dropping, or you’ll become stupid again.

That advice makes no sense to me.  But that’s probably because it’s now been seven hours since my last meal, and my glucose has plummeted to 89 mg/dl.

p.s. – After I wrote this post, we had dinner:  a chef salad with lettuce, onions, eggs, cauliflower, bacon, bits of cheddar cheese, tomatoes from the garden, Italian sausage chunks and a bacon grease/white wine vinegar dressing.  My glucose an hour later is 105 mg/dl.  I don’t expect to need a snack two hours from now.

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Share/Bookmark
57 Responses to “Health.com Explains How To Have More Energy”
  1. Bill C. says:

Anyone that is interested in becoming obese, being a type 2 diabetic or worse should seriously consider taking her advice. As fun as that sounds I think I’ll take my chances with my low carb way of eating.

Lots of people have followed that advice. We’ve seen the results.

2. Katie in FL says:

Can you put up what is in the bacon grease/white wine vinegar dressing? It sounds beautiful.

It was just bacon grease and white wine vinegar. That’s it. I was thinking of trying a blended version with a little parmesan. If it’s good, I’ll post the recipe.

3. js290 says:

LOL… Seems like an “ideal diet” would be one that could reverse diabetes and damage caused by it, therapeutic for cancer patients, improve Alzheimer’s symptoms, manage epileptic seizures, and improve physical performance…

That would work for me.

4. Alan Low says:

Beautiful, I love it, thanks Tom.
    They really do think like that don’t they?
    No wonder dietary advice is in such a woeful state. Keep up the good work.

I’m still wondering how these writers can contradict themselves and not spot it. Keep fueling yourself with glucose so you can burn fat? Huh?

• Pierson says:

Only if one is doing a diet which consists of pure starch (think potatoes) and no more than 3 tbsp. of fat daily. Even then, it’s only for people who have a healthy pancreas, kidneys, and liver, and who are already somewhat active. I know that an all potatoe diet is fine in this regard (if you can stomach it), but I doubt that grains and fruit would be as successful

5. Yeah, I tagged this article earlier in your Fat Head Facebook group, and encouraged people to add comments. Those are definitely worth reading and responding to. http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/19/health/tired-dragging-diet-change/?hpt=he_c1

6. shawn says:

Ha love it! That basically describes the eating habits of all my co workers and last I checked they don’t seem to have any more energy than me. Which is odd since I rarely eat breakfast or lunch. I guess I’m just a genetically gifted freak.

I see lots of co-workers hitting the snack rack in the cafeteria around 3:00 PM.

7. Jill says:

Hi Tom,

if you’re wondering about one of the main sources for the anti-meat push, this is a good summary:

Tons of websites deal with this – eg:

8. Tami says:

One of the things a REALLY dont miss about my old diet, is the constant pondering about the next thing Im going to put in my mouth. I’m starting to thinking about skipping lunch and just eating twice a day. I can go a long time on a couple of eggs fried in butter and a coffee with HWC. Possibly doesnt have much impact on my blood sugar.

An inexpensive glucose meter will confirm that for you.

9. John says:

The original article is blatantly rhetorical and stinks of money. We make a fundamental assumption about anything written by experts — they’ve done their homework, their research. Anybody worthy of wearing a white coat questions, questions, and questions some more. Nearly everything in this article and articles like it are unsupportable by science. It’s all baseless rhetoric. And that leads to the consideration of other motives. The two biggest are money and protection of professional reputation.

I see stuff like this and I can’t decide if the writer is ignorant or intentionally dishonest.

• Marilyn says:

I always have the impression that there are three criteria for articles such as these:

1. Get it done fast.

2. Say something innocuous that’s in line with the publisher’s biases.

3. Make it sound as if you’ve done this exciting research yourself.

If there were sources given for most of these articles, they would surely include a bunch of popular magazines, and the like.

The real joke with this particular article is that, based on the title, and what then follows, a “healthy diet” is a low-carb diet.

10. D. Crisp says:

Head. Bang. On. Desk. Who the hell writes this stuff? If I followed that diet I’d be 300 pounds.
    Tom, appreciate all you do. Keep up the good work.

Cheers.

What’s wrong with weighing 300 pounds if your cognitive abilities are all nice and leveled out by all that glucose?

11. Tom Welsh says:

“If you accidentally forget to eat carbohydrates every two hours or so and your blood sugar plummets and causes you to do worse on memory-based tasks, eat more carbohydrates to raise your blood sugar and level out your cognitive abilities”.

But how will you remember to eat more carbohydrates, since you you are doing so much worse on memory-based tasks?

Thanks a lot for this, Tom! It’s really fun to read your amusing articles while being reassured that it’s the media, not me, that has gone crazy.

Holy moly, I didn’t spot that flaw in the plan. Okay, ask a friend whose blood sugar isn’t plummeting to remind you to eat your carbohydrates.

12. Frank says:

Hungry goto Eat_more_carbohydrates
    Eat_more_carbohydrates goto Hungry

And I don’t see a :break statement in that loop.

13. Galina L. says:

I saw that article on CNN news, and just rolled my eyes. LCarbing did many good things for me, but somehow I feel that the main benefit was not having attacks of emergency hunger several times a day , always planning my day around food and caring emergency snacks with me. I am food free now, the article is about how to be a food slave.

Something that never happened on my low-fat diet that happens frequently now: I get busy with a project, next thing I know it’s almost dinnertime, and I realize I forgot to eat lunch.

14. Ham-Bone says:

just like I tell people who quote those rules, yes, all of those rules apply if your diet is carbohydrate based. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You should eat 6 small meals every 2-3 hours. 30 minutes of vigorous exercise 3-5 days a week is vital. Fiber is important. – Thank God there is a better way.

As Nora Gedgaudas puts it, carbs are like kindling. If you rely on kindling for heat, you will indeed have to feed the fire all day long.

15. Beowulf says:

If a researcher had tested my cognitive skills a week into dropping many of the carbs from my diet, I probably would’ve done poorly as well. After another week or two, though, I was back to being sharp as ever. They need to test actual low-carb adapted people, not individuals just starting down that road.

And I love the whole carbs = the only source of energy nonsense. I have an active job, especially the first two hours when we’re unloading a truck. I had bacon and eggs w/ heavy cream this morning for breakfast. Six hours later, I’m still doing fine. Plenty of energy and only getting slightly hungry.

• Bryan Harris says:

> My suspicion is that they intentionally test people before they’ve had time to adapt.

I think it’s at least possible that they simply don’t know what they’re doing.

PS – All their talk reminds me of the famous “don’t swim for thirty minutes after you eat” or “drink eight eight-ounce glasses of water per day” kind of advice I heard growing up.

• Nowhereman says:

“My suspicion is that they intentionally test people before they’ve had time to adapt.”

After my own personal experience with a grant-starved researcher, I suspect that the researchers pulled a trick like putting the LC group on a low-fat, low carb diet, but called it “high fat” because maybe they increased the intake from 25 grams of fat to 30 or something like that.

They do come up with some strange definitions now and then.

16. George Wilson says:

Randal, I checked the link. I looked at the comments (a little) and there were a lot of trolls. Plus it’s one of those websites that has micro updates the just fills your track back with the same URL so you just can’t back out. I hope there is a special place in Hell for programmers that do that. You know where ice water is just a step away but every time they step they stay in the same place.

Personally, like Tom, I do a lot better LCHF than I ever did on the Food Pyramid. I’m 61 and have plenty of energy for a day’s activities. I’m not perfect and occasionally stray and pay. Eat a cookie and crash.

The author is probably one of those people, you know the ones, who’ve never had a weight problem, can eat their food-crack diets and just assumes it’ll work for everybody.

17. Don in Arkansas says:

I’ve been experimenting with IF for the last week, trying to tweak my eating habits to break a long weight loss stall. I work an afternoon shift (1:00 p.m.- 9:30 p.m.) I have been eating only after I get home from work at 9:30 and then in bed usually by midnight. I try to eat about a 60/10/30 fat,carb,protein ratio, sometimes a bit higher on the fat and eat to satiety. I find that I have enough energy to do work around my place, energy to get through a day at work, and I don’t get particularly hungry during the 24 hour period. So far, since Monday, I had about 2.5# weight loss and frankly, I feel great. I’m 67, btw. Mainstream nutrition advice just sucks, doesn’t it.

Mainstream advice is great if you’re in the grain business. Otherwise, it sucks.

18. Leo says:

Tom, great blog.
    I’ve been doing low carb for over 3 years drop 35 lbs now at normal weight.
    In reading your article I noticed your blood glucose at 105. That’s my maximum target, generally it’s under that number 24/7.
    Recently, I had a Relion A1C home test done and was shocked to see it at 5.8. That means it’s an average of 120 mg/dl !
    I’ve had at least 6 tests done by this method in the past that ranged from 5.2 to recently 5.8.
    Have you done an A1C recently? How did it go ?
    Should I just throw in the towel and go for the “The ideal diet is 50 to 55% complex carbohydrates” and see what happens? LOL
    Thanks Bro,

I haven’t done an A1C test. I check my glucose levels a few times per week. If it’s generally in the 80-110 range, I’m good with that.

19. Chuck says:

Sadly I watch a co-worker go through this everyday. Even after munching on candy (sometimes along with sunflower seeds in the shell) from starting time to 1st break (2h 20min), she is so hungry that she can not concentrate on anything but going to break and eating. When she comes back she says she feels so much better. She was even told at the last health screening at work that she may be diabetic. I have tried nudging her to the low-carb side, but she is very resistant. She keeps trying the low-calorie method only to fail time and time again. I won’t push her, but it’s hard to watch a friend do this to themselves. It really is like watching a drug addict trying to kick the habit and going right back.

It is difficult to watch people do that to themselves. My policy is to mention what I know once and only once. If they’re interested, they start asking questions. If they resist, I know there’s no point in continuing.

• Bret says:

I can relate, Chuck. I have a family member trying this low-calorie/eat frequently nonsense and having very little success with it (his diet is about 50-60% carbs, of course). Whenever I have mentioned the low-carb/high-fat strategy, I can tell he thinks I have been brainwashed by some cult, although he is polite enough not to say so out loud. If it ain’t mainstream advice, he doesn’t want to hear it. Of course, he also casts similar judgment on people who support gun rights, school choice, lower taxes, deregulation, and smaller government. I think there may be a pattern here.

Sounds like someone with a lot of faith in the authorities.

20. Firebird7478 says:

That bacon grease/vinegar dressing must be awesome!

Heh, really nothing to it. Bacon grease, add vinegar.

21. Kathy from Maine says:

A woman once told me that her doctor advised her to eat oatmeal every morning because it “coats your throat so that none of the fat you eat for the rest of the day will be absorbed.”

You simply can’t argue with that kind of “logic.”

Wow. That’s wrong on so many levels.

• Walter Bushell says:

That’s even more misguided than the sex advice I got on the street as a first grader. Which is a high bar to clear.

22. Peggy Holloway says:

Well, I’m sure everyone is tired of hearing this, but let me ask again: How did my 71-year-old partner and I (60) manage to do a century bike ride on a hot, windy day in a part of Iowa called the “Loess Hills” (get it – hills)? We had eaten dinner the previous evening at 5:00 PM. I had about 4 ounces of fatty prime rib, green beans to which I added some butter, and a green salad with blue cheese dressing. The next morning, we each had a cup of coffee with heavy cream, then started out with a group for cyclists raising money for MS. (We thought it quite appropriate to be doing an MS charity ride in ketosis). We biked until 11:30 and stopped at the turn around point where they were serving pizza and each, though we didn’t really need food, ate the toppings off of two pieces of supreme which was mostly sausage and black olives. We then rode another 50 miles. Neither one of us ate or drank anything else except plain water the remainder of the day. That was 7.5 hours of biking some pretty significant hills in temperatures above 90 degrees for two people over 60 years of age. We both finished with energy to spare. Explain that, please, oh ye of little faith in the low-carb lifestyle. (Actually, I posted this story in an article on ketones and athletic performance recently and the infamous Durianrider accused me of being a “sock puppet” who was making it all up!)

No surprise there. Durianrider is an idiot.

• Marilyn says:

Interesting, Peggy. I wonder if there would be some way to publish that in an MS magazine, or on an MS blog.

• Peggy Holloway says:

I actually felt honored to have gotten the attention of the legendary Durianrider. I really had him going. :) After he accused me in several posts of being some sort of undocumented, invisible fictional character shilling for the low-carb community, I directed him to the National Bike Commuter Challenge site where my biking miles are all publicly logged and suggested he could find my business page on Facebook. I never heard another word.

• Nowhereman says:

Hah! You got HIM to shut up? That’s just epic, Peggy, and I find it doubly ironic that Durianrider accused you of being a sockpuppet, especially since he’s notorious for doing that in spades on YouTube. Last count I’d bothered to do some time ago I was able to pick out around 20 or so sockpuppets of Durianrider’s. That just shows what a hypocrite the guy really is.

True story: I had a picture of Durianrider on my screen to use in the cruise roast. My daughter Sara walked in and said, “Dad, is that a boy or a girl?” So if you’re a boy and want a body like a girl, follow that man’s dietary advice.

• Nowhereman says:

I don’t know about Durianrider looking feminine, but he always has and always will look to me like a skeleton.

It was the general twigginess that prompted Sara to ask about his gender. His arms are about as thick as hers.

23. Lori says:

I’m still a snacker–I don’t like big meals and my blood sugar falls to uncomfortably low levels if I go too long without eating. But at age 44, I have more energy on LC than I did in my 20s on high-carb.

24. Marilyn says:

The other joke with this article is that anyone would take the trouble to give instructions for anything that happens so automatically. I mean, how long did any of us last on a pinch-an-inch breakfast of Special K, sugar, and skim milk? Did we need instructions to immediately have another serving before we even left the table, because we were still hungry?

25. Pierson says:

Isn’t insulin released in small amounts when one’s blood sugar goes above 85? I was told by my doctor that a fasting blood sugar of 90 was a little high, and that was why.

I certainly wouldn’t worry about fasting blood sugar of 90. What I want to avoid is the blood-sugar rollercoaster.

26. Kim says:

The thing that really bugs me is that in all likelihood, the vast majority of people who read this article and so many other like it, simply believe it without thinking. They’ve been fed the BS for so long that for most people there is no thinking that goes on. It simply reinforces what they “know” to be true: Carbohydrates are an essential nutrient. And sadly, it’s not their fault. Forty years of indoctrination by governments and all the so-called health agencies as well as doctors and dieticians who all parrot the same nonsense. It hurts the most when you see loved ones who are following this terrible advice and what they are doing to themselves in the long term. And as we know, you can’t force it on others. Simply lead my example and hope they catch on before it’s too late.
    Thanks for all you do Tom. Love your blog (and of course “Fat Head”!!)

I not only believed that nonsense, I wrote that nonsense back when I worked for a small magazine in my 20s.

27. gollum says:

Can you please stop making fun of 300 lbs? Okay, I don’t really weigh 300 real pounds, but in Evil Spacecraftkilling Units it is, or was, pretty close.

Deleted paragraph speculating about intent and grade of lies, also mentioning all brakes on lies are off pre-election here (“plant matter easier to digest”)
    Just this, I do believe the statement about cells needing glucose is wrong in more than one way, if I recall correctly some heart cells run on FFAs.

Tom, steak and some salad, onions give you 105? Isn’t protein supposed to make your insulin shoot up “as much as sugar”? I read that on Low carb exposed or from some guy, don’t remember.

Protein does cause a post-prandial rise in insulin (not glucose), as it should. Insulin transports amino acids into muscle and other lean tissue.

28. Wayne Gage says:

Tom is very good at deconstructing bad information. Thanks.

29. Babs says:

Kim, I blame it on the public schools, where all us publicly edumacated folks learned about that stupid Food Pyramid where at the bottom it says to eat 6-10 servings of whole grain every day. And at the top is the fats you are to eat *sparingly*. That thing is imprinted on my brain from my grade school. Im 34, and just a couple of years ago found out all this stuff Toms documentary is about. So basically anyone in their 30s or younger doesnt know better.

30. suntzu00 says:

Tom,

You know who else has to dose regularly in order to not suffer adverse effects; heroin addicts. Eating carbs every two hours is simply a recipe for carbohydrate addiction. Cereal instead of bread is like shooting meth instead of smoking crack.

Yup. That’s why they keep telling the carb addicts they need to eat every 2-4 hours.

31. Kristin says:

Boy I sure don’t miss the constant grazing of my old high carb low fat diet. I also don’t miss the headaches, the crabby moods or the complete loss of perspective and control I would get when I was crashing. I just don’t get hungry in the same way I used to. Even if I’m really very hungry it doesn’t manifest with that old gnawing insistence. I’ve been unable to describe this new sensation to anyone who still runs on sugar. It’s kind of like yes, it is time to eat and I’m looking forward to it. But no, I don’t feel like I’m going to pass out or choose something stupid. If it isn’t convenient to eat at that moment I can wait. It just isn’t the big deal it used to be. And it sure is convenient to randomly skip meals.

I had that experience today. I had my usual coffee with cream in the morning, then got busy cutting logs with the chainsaw. I didn’t think about food and didn’t run out of gas until I literally ran out of gas and decided to stop for the day instead of going on a drive to fill the gas can. So despite a lot of physical work, I had my first meal at 6:00 PM and felt fine while working.

32. Chris says:

Now that I am LC, I marvel at all of the people walking the sidewalks and driving the streets of Chicago with food. Walking and eating. Driving and eating. A few scrambled eggs for breakfast keeps my hunger at bay for five hours or more. Keeping your blood sugar up with frequent snacks smacks of advice placed by shills for food processors or Big Pharma. Have you looked into the ownership of Health.com?

It’s owned by Time Warner.

33. Marilyn says:

Off topic here. On the topic of Rascal. =^..^=

I have a day-by-day cat calendar. Today’s picture is an 18-year-old cat who — they stated matter-of-factly — has lost all his teeth. It seems to be an accepted fact that old cats will lose their teeth. A lot of mine did. As I look back, knowing what I know now, I would certainly have fed them differently. I would expect that if Rascal eats a better diet he won’t have that problem. Eighteen years is probably too long to wait for a report, but you might find it interesting to watch and see what happens.

Dogs, cats, people … a good diet means keeping your teeth, at least for a lot longer.

34. Dan says:

Hi Tom,
    I was hoping you would write about this one! An excellent response to a crappy news article.
    I have a question. About blood sugar, how can you tell you have good blood sugar control through the day if you don’t have a glucose meter? I eat a good rounded paleo diet and no longer experience the painful hunger i used to feel in the grains and sugar days. Is that all there is to it, or are there other signs that would tell me how i am doing? Any thoughts?
    Dan

I think you’d have to measure. Glucose meters are pretty cheap these days.

35. Dan says:

Bacon grease and vinegar dressing… just add mayo and potatoes and you’ve got German Potato Salad. Ah, the memories of childhood.

36. Craig says:

Of all the myths about nutrition that refuse to die the idea that, “whole grains are good for regulating your blood sugar because the fiber makes them slow to digest” is the most mind-boggling. It gets repeated over and over and over when it is incredibly easy to disprove.

You don’t have to read studies or have some deep understanding of science. Just eat whole grains and check your blood sugar. Watch it spike up then collapse. I was in my earl 30s and only about 30 pounds overweight with healthy fasting blood sugar level when I saw Fat Head and started learning the truth about nutrition. When I got a glucose meter I was amazed by the roller coaster ride my blood sugar would take after eating whole grains, especially if I ate a large portion with a meal that was really low in overall fat. You know, the kind of meal that gets recommended to people with serious problems with weight and type 2 diabetes — the kind of problems I was headed towards if I’d kept following the standard USDA nutrition advice.

Almost every article I see in the mainstream press about nutrition parrots the same advice about whole grains regulating blood sugar. Just a few days ago I read another article in my daily paper about cutting out red meat, using vegetable oils in place of animal fats and eating lots of whole grains to maintain healthy blood sugar. How did a hypothesis that is so easy to disprove with a cheap meter anyone can buy at Wal-Mart become so widely accepted as fact? How do doctors get away with giving that advice to people with blood sugar problems bad enough that they are actively monitoring their glucose levels and seeing the effects of whole grains? I say this as a natural skeptic. Your documentary was fascinating, but I didn’t just blindly accept anything you, or Gary Taubes or Jimmy Moore, etc., were telling me. I bought a cheap glucose meter and it quickly became obvious that the standard advice on blood sugar was completely wrong.

I’m glad you tested for yourself. I don’t expect you to blindly accept what I say.

37. Mike says:

I can’t help but wonder if General Mills, or one of the big cereal companies, is a big [i]Health[/i] magazine and/or health.com advertiser. This article reads like a cheap infomercial.

You can count on cereal ads in most health magazines.

38. Mike says:

One of my favourite comments under original article : Another post by a paleobotomy victim. I am 100% victim :) of being focused on life, not on feeding times and artificial food. As others mentioned, lots of people around me moan about starving a few hours after meal. That’s it, we can only carry on our path.

39. keerti says:

hi just reading the stuff about plummeting glucose levels and I have personal observation that may be interesting: It does happen in some situations
    some years ago i was working in a very busy massage clinic (it wasn’t unusual to do back to back sessions from mid-day until 7 Pm. When I first started there I would at times get the shakes (from hypoglycemia). If I had to wait until I finished work I would go on an eating binge to feel normal again. This was an uncomfortable way to be. After some reading about dehydration I decided to drink one large glass of water every session. The hypoglycemic shakes stopped. My hypothesis from this is that when we don’t have enough to drink that there is insufficient water for the body to draw reserves from the fat cells and as a result glucose levels drop. Further to this the suggestion to eat carbs to balance glucose levels is likely to be interpreted as eat refined carbs which I suspect soak up available water leading to sea sawing of glucose levels! In other words it is the very act of continual carb eating that causes the glucose swing.