I can’t believe I didn’t think of this before.

In addition to taking a few supplements I believe are useful (a multivitamin, CoQ10, vitamin D3) I try to remember to take fish oil for the omega-3 fats.  The other supplements sit above my bathroom sink, so unless I forget to shave or brush my teeth in the morning, I pretty much can’t miss them.  The fish oil, however, stays in the fridge, and as often as not I don’t notice it and forget.

Meanwhile, I’ve been experimenting with different oils in my ongoing quest to produce the perfect homemade mayonnaise.  Olive oil is okay, the bacon-grease version is pretty tasty, and the macadamia-oil version was so-so.

So I was spooning out the fish oil a few days ago, mentally complimenting the Carlson people for producing a lemon-flavored version that has zero fishy taste, and it suddenly occurred to me:  Would this stuff whip into mayo?

Yup.

Since I’ve found that some oils don’t work for mayo (MTC oil, for example), I only made a small batch.  If you want to try this and make a bigger batch, just double the recipe:

One egg yolk
1/2 cup Carlson’s lemon-flavored fish oil
A squirt of brown mustard
A pinch of salt

Whip the egg yolk, mustard and salt together with a hand mixer.  Then continue to mix while slowly pouring in the oil.  Mix another minute or two until the mayo is thick.  There’s no need to add lemon because the oil is already lemon-flavored.

That’s all there is to it.  It’s not cheap mayo — the Carlson’s fish oil is on the pricey side — but since I’m already buying the stuff, I figured may as well whip it into something I can put on my sliced turkey and ham.

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Share/Bookmark
13 Responses to “Mega Omega Mayo”
  1. Pierson says:

Unfermented fish oil may oxidize in the body, so do go easy on it!

2. tess says:

interesting thought! i use Carlson’s lemon CLO, and am very happy with it, but i never considered this — probably make a really good tuna salad! …i usually make mayo with equal parts OO, avocado and MCT, and we like it very well.

3. Jay Jay says:

Great idea! I must try.

My current favorite recipe uses OO (not evoo ,or even voo), lemon juice, and a bit of liquid soy lecithen, along with the mustard and egg.

If I can squeeze in some fish oil, it would be awesome!

4. Janknitz says:

Umm, that’s some expensive mayo!

Definitely, but I buy the fish oil anyway, so why not put it to good use?

5. Brian says:

Wow! Just think… That mayonnaise makes ANY dish into surf and turf! Amazing!

I hadn’t thought of that.

6. rudy-in-la says:

Must be something in the air. Last night, I put my stick blender out as I had decided today was the day I was going to try and make my own mayo. I don’t have this oil but wil indeed try it. Shame you can’t buy mayo that isn’t toxic.

7. Kevin says:

I’ve heard that using an immersion blender is a fool-proof way to make home made mayonnaise. Unfortunately, this also confirms that I am a fool.
    Personally, I’ve been using avocados as a mayo substitute forever. Arguably, avocados are the healthiest foods out there. For blue cheese dressing on wings, I usually use a 1:1 combination of Greek Yogurt and sour cream. It gives a little tartness with the creamy perfectness that is full-fat sour cream. Add a little blue cheese, Worcestershire sauce, white vinegar, parsley, garlic powder, pepper, and BLAMM-O.

There are several good recipes out there on how to bake wings and make them taste better than fried (in disgusting hydrogenated oils).

Here is one of my favorites:

The recipe sounds good. I’ve never tried an immersion blender, probably because I don’t know what an immersion blender is.

Scratch that. Chareva tells me my hand blender is an immersion blender. We may be fellow fools.

8. Bex says:

I fiddled around with a huge number of different oils & ingredients until I came up with the perfect Mayo.
    1 cup LIGHT olive oil (half/half Light OO/Macadaemia oil)
    Drizzle garlic olive oil
    1 egg
    20mls Apple Cider Vinegar
    15mls white balsalmic (just gives that slight sweet flavour)
    1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
    Salt & Pepper
    Throw all into Hand/Stick/Immersion blender beaker and blend for 30 secs. Done.
    Yum!

9. Ham-Bone says:

like a modern day mayo Rembrandt…eventually we’ll be able to get all of our essential micronutreients and supplements in a dollop of Fat-Head brand mayo.

If that day ever comes, I expect to be very, very rich.

10. SB says:

Interesting. We’re taking regular FCLO tablets, the idea of flavored fish/cod liver oil weirded me out because the smell of the regular stuff is so…fishy. I may have to give the flavored stuff a try.

11. Cindy C says:

Hi Tom,
    As for the fish oil and vitamin D, you are not getting any A, or are you taking A too.? Fish oil just has the omega 3s. Cod liver oil has omega 3, D and A. I take Sonne’s old fashion cod liver oil #5, as mentioned by Weston Price. It is lower in price than Carlson, but it takes some getting used to. I put a bit of coconut oil in my spoon with it, as it is unflavored.

I don’t take A as a separate supplement, no. I hope that between the multivitamin and all the greens I eat, I’m getting enough.

12. Kati says:

I’m glad to see your mention of trying MCT oil in mayo, as I was contemplating that earlier. Maybe I will one day combine that and the lemon fish oil! (:
    If you do have a hand blender, it’s the easiest thing on earth to whip up mayo. Just layer in a wide mouth mason jar or beaker in this order:1 egg, 1 tbsp acid ( red wine vinegar makes it taste a bit like Hellmanns), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp dried or wet mustard (I use dried most often), and 1 1/4 cups oil of choice. Stick the blender to the bottom and bring it up slowly while on high. It takes about 30 seconds and it’s really fun! I always get a kick out of it, and it feels like magic.

13. Steve Picray says:

One word of caution: I have been warned that high doses of Omega 3 fish oils may raise your risk of prostate cancer. Of course, this from the same people telling me that lard is evil, so YMMV.