Yes, I said I was taking a mini-vacation from blogging over the long weekend, but when our local fireworks show was rained out last night, I decided to make some paleo mayonnaise.  I liked it (a lot), so I thought I’d share the recipe.

I’ve made mayo before with macadamia oil.  It’s decent, but has a distinct nutty flavor.  I’ve also made olive-oil mayo (didn’t much like the flavor) and I’ve ordered paleo mayo online (expensive, and I didn’t much like the flavor).

Someone left a comment suggesting I try bacon grease, so that’s what I did.  Chareva saves strained bacon grease in Tupperware containers and uses it for frying.  Her sweet potato fries are awesome.  Apparently we’ve been eating more bacon than fried sweet potatoes, because she had three containers of bacon grease in the fridge.  I was happy to find a way to use some of it.

Here are the ingredients:

1 cup of bacon grease (warmed enough to be liquid)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 medium egg yolks (because our chickens lay medium-sized eggs)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt

I don’t know if I’d trust raw egg yolks from a grocery store, but I’m not concerned about the eggs from our hen-house.  Anyway …

Put everything except the oil into a jar and blend briefly with a hand-held blender.

Then start drizzling in the oil while continuing to blend.  It’s important to drizzle the oil in slowly – if you get rambunctious about it, you’ll get unmixed oil in your mayo.

After all the oil is mixed in, blend for another minute or so.

By the way, if you make your own mayo at home, it’s going to be yellowish, since egg yolks are yellow.  I don’t know how the people who make commercial soybean-oil mayo manage to get theirs so white, but I suspect there are chemicals involved.

The final concoction had a mild bacon-smoky taste, but since I mostly use mayo on slices of meat, I’m fine with that.  Perhaps someday I’ll try the same recipe with pure lard instead of bacon grease.

After the mayo cooled in the fridge, I used part of it to make tuna salad.  Alana asked for some and snarfed it up.  That’s my girl.

We now return to our regularly scheduled mini-vacation …

69 Responses to “Paleo Mayeo”
  1. Stephanie says:

How long do you think the mayo lasts in the fridge? Can you freeze it?

I haven’t tried freezing it. I doubt the batch will last me more than a week, so I haven’t checked how long it keeps.

• mezzo says:

I don’t think mayo takes kindly to freezing. I don’t like strong-tasting olive oil in mayo either but not all olive oils are created alike. So I use a mild one and it tastes just fine.

• Nick S says:

My homemade mayo does not take kindly to freezing. It lasts at least a week in the fridge with no noticeable change.

2. tracker says:

No, don’t make mayo with lard! I tried it, it’s horrible. It might be good fresh, but once you refrigerate it, it’s like eating raw lard. I mean, if you like raw lard, then go for it. Now we say, ‘just because you *can* do something, doesn’t necessarily mean you should’ ;)

I appreciate the warning. Next time I may try using half bacon grease, half avocado oil.

3. Walter Bushell says:

Doesn’t bacon grease go with anything that is compatible with salt? No in coffee, for example, unless you can get uncured bacon. Hmm, in NYC all the cream is ultra pasteurized by law, so I have to use unsalted butter.

4. Firebird says:

I’ve tried several times to make home made mayo and get to the last drops of oil, then it flops. Ugh.

5. Mark. says:

It does tend to go a bit firm when refrigerated — though probably less so than it might, what with the higher fraction of omega-6 fatty acids found these days in most commercial pork. (I’ve read that pigs are put on a diet lower in those for a few weeks before butchering, or their fat would be too soft for proper bacon, but I don’t know whether that’s true.) Another fat that makes good mayo that tends to get too solid is coconut oil, the cheap grocery store stuff that is almost flavorless.

You have to like olive oil to like traditional mayo. I’m not way fond of it, although extra virgin can be interesting.

The consistency is just a bit softer than butter.

• James Gegner says:

Mark, if you’re wanting to make mayo with coconut oil, use extra virgin coconut oil, which actually smells like coconuts and is unrefined, instead of the cheaper refined coconut oil that’s typically found with the processed liquid vegetable oils.

I posted a comment on one of Tom’s recent posts about a video on YouTube that shows how to make mayonnaise using a combination of extra virgin coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil. Here is the recipe:

Coconut Oil Mayonnaise (makes double the recipe shown in the YouTube video)

Ingredients:

2 large eggs (from pasture-raised chickens)
      4 large egg yolks (from pasture-raised chickens)
      2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
      2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
      1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
      ½ teaspoon white pepper
      1 cup extra virgin coconut oil (warmed enough to be liquid)
      1 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

Place the eggs, egg yolks, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, and white pepper into the work bowl of a food processor. Blend briefly for just a few seconds.

Pour the warmed coconut oil into the olive oil and stir to combine. With the processor running on low speed, start adding the oil mixture very slowly. Start out with very small drops, and gradually work up to a 1/16″ stream (this should take about 5 minutes).

Continue blending until all of the oil mixture is used up and there is no free standing oil.

Transfer the finished mayonnaise to a resealable jar with a lid and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use (it will last about a week in the refrigerator, so it needs to be used up as quickly as possible). Makes approximately 3 cups of mayonnaise.

6. jd says:

I wouldn’t worry about store-bought egg yolks too much. People eat them raw all the time but just don’t think about it. The runny yellow stuff in a fried egg might be warm, but it sure ain’t cooked.

Good point. I believe the lemon and vinegar is supposed to make the yolk safer to eat as well.

• j says:

There are methods of pasteurizing eggs at home…do a google search. Basically it involves heating the eggs in water at a certain temperature for several minutes. I cant personally vouch for safety concerns in doing this..just putting the info out there.

As long as I’m getting the yolks from our chickens, I’m not worried.

7. Janknitz says:

Hmm, we don’t do pork/bacon. I wonder how this would be with chicken schmaltz? You’ve inspired me to try it.

It’s worth an experiment.

8. Wow!
    Bacon grease!
    Wow!

• Janet says:

YEAH! WOW! Same here. I put a note by my bacon grease collector this am so I don’t forget and throw it away–I generate A LOT of bacon grease–before I try this. I tried mayo with olive oil and yuck–hated it.

I like olive oil, but not in mayo. I may try the extra-light stuff at some point.

9. Lori says:

That sounds great; in fact, I’ve thought of making chocolate with bacon grease. Unfortunately, bacon grease doesn’t last long enough at my house to do anything with it.

We’ve almost polished off that first batch of mayo too.

10. Julie says:

Tom, I’m so glad to see you’ve come to the bacon side! I’ve been making baconnaise for a few months now, because I just love mayo too much to give it up. To make ours a little less densely bacon flavored, I use 1/2 bacon grease and 1/2 pure olive oil. And when I don’t feel like using bacon, I use all pure olive oil, which has the added bonus of having the same consistency as store bought mayo. I know pure oo is more processed than evoo, but it’s a choice I make because I can’t really stand the taste of evoo. It’s too fruity. For both versions, I use a cooked mayo recipe, where you heat the eggs, vinegar, and spices up until just starting to bubble. I would probably use raw eggs though if I had my own chickens.

Now what gave me that idea to do baconnaise in the first place was a really cool post on Serious Eats about the science of making mayo with all kinds of animal fat. I bet you’d get a kick out of it.

Duck-fat mayo? Hmmm ….

• Marilyn says:

Hmmm. Duck fat mayo. I roasted a duck a couple of days ago and have all this fat in the frig. . . .

11. Roger says:

You might want to try this technique, it’s easier and gives a more reliable emulsion, – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz0fLT_k3_U

Too bad he used sugar and canola oil, though.

12. Kati says:

Just a question, but what “grade” of bacon does your family eat? I just get the cheap stuff, personally, but would be sorta concerned making delicious baconnaise from it because of the farming additives to the pig’s diet. I’m trying to figure out if it really matters all that much, in the grand scheme of clean eating. :)

Chareva just buys bacon at the grocery store. We tried bacon from a local farmer once, pastured pigs and all that, but it just didn’t taste good.

• emi11n says:

See if there are other farmers offering pastured pork. I’ve had very different experiences with local bacon. For a long time I bought bacon from a farmer with pastured heritage pigs, and the bacon, omg so delicious, made lots of fabulous bacon fat. Waaaaay better than oscar meyer or fischers. The farmer left the business recently, so I bought some bacon from another local farm, and it’s TERRIBLE. Smells horrid. If I hadn’t paid so much for it I’d throw it away. I never knew bacon could be this bad. I won’t buy from this farm again, but I will keep looking because I know great local bacon is possible.

Yeah, it’s worth trying again.

13. Rae says:

Gotta try this. I miss mayo but soybean oil just doesn’t work for me. I always end up with HUGE amounts of schmaltz and lamb fat saved in my fridge – I really want to try this with one or the other (or both?!). Just need a hand held blender.

I believe the hand blender was $20 at the Wal-Mart near Cool Springs.

14. Lynne :) says:

Hmm, I wonder if chicken fat (the dripping from roasting) would be as good as bacon fat?

No idea, but worth a try.

15. TonyNZ says:

To answer your question Re. white mayo…

The reason egg yolks are needed is that they contain lecithin, which is a surfactant that keeps your mayonnaise as a stable colloid (i.e. prevents it from splitting). Lecithin can also be derived from soy and is sold as an additive in the food industry to be used this way. It is colourless in this form, hence white mayo. I suspect the bacon grease adds to the colour. My egg/olive oil mayo is more of a cream colour.

Figures it’s soy on top of soy in commercial mayo.

• Namu says:

The real reason for the white color is, they add more water than egg yolk to keep it cheap. With enough mixing and blending and adding water you can stretch a single egg yolk across liters of mayo. Lecithin merely makes it even easier. Here it must contain at least 6% egg yolk or it cannot use the name “mayonnaise”, as an attempt to curb the practice.

• TonyNZ says:

Could be something to do with barn egg yolks being pale compared to free-range also. No such restriction here as far as I’m aware. The more upmarket brands have things such as “made with real egg” on the front as a selling point. Soy lecithin is used in hundreds of store-brought mass manufactured foods though, not just dressings.

Another reason to avoid the processed stuff.

• emi11n says:

Don’t forget, commercial mayo is made with spray-dried, powdered egg yolk. Keeps longer that way. Who knows how much color egg yolks retain when they’ve been heated to super-high temperatures and sprayed aginst a hard surface at high pressure (i.e. blasted within an inch of their lives)?

16. mrfreddy says:

I don’t mess around with that careful oil dribbling, or pre-mixing the eggs before adding oil. All the ingredients go into the jar together, the only important thing is that the oil goes last. Let it sit for a bit and then hit it with a stick blender. Works every time.

17. Andrea says:

Reminds me of something I heard several years ago on Car Talk. It was called something like “instructions for a Yankee moving to the South.” The first item was “save all bacon grease, you will receive further instructions.”

Love it.

18. Sheri says:

Dang! Had some bacon this morning, but I threw out the grease. I have about 1/2 cup in the fridge. I guess I can make 1/2 a batch.

We used to throw away bacon grease and buy vegetable oil for cooking. I shudder at the memory.

19. Ash Simmonds says:

Dude – you forgot garlic! Garlic just sets mayo off amazingly, turning it from a delicious topping to an addictive additive, alliteratively.

We’ve done the home-made mayo thing a few times, only ever used olive oil though. I have duck fat, lard, beef suet, coconut oil, ghee, and MCT oil sitting there ready for experimentation.

20. Jean says:

I go with a stick blender every time but don’t use extra virgin olive oil, it’s too strong a taset. I use mild olive oil and it’s perfect.

21. Eric from belgium says:

The science behind mayo has been extensively studied by my good acquaintance, Hervé This, who is also known as the man who unboiled an egg, and the founding father of Molecular Gastronomy.
    Here’s an english article about some of his work :

In essence, to make a mayo-like dessing which is an emulsion of oil in water, you need water, an emulsifier, and oil.
    Yolks contain substances known as lecithin, which act as the emulsifier, but there are other variations:
    -garlic, which is used to make aioli, a mediteranean version of mayo
    -mustard, which is used to make ‘remoulade’, another variant, or vinaigrette
    -and of course a whole range of hydrocolloids, the best known is xanthan gum, which is heavily used in the food industry, an amazing substance which is totally safe and has incredible properties. It’s the magic ingredient in most commercial dressings.

The acidity of the lemon juice or vineagar will change the electric charges of the emulsifying substances, and improve their effect.

Now, if one does the mayo the traditional way, with a whip and a bow, it is crucial to add very little oil at the start. Remember, we are trying to make an emulsion of oil INSIDE water. Too much oil and one gets the opposite. Emulsions have a tendency to reverse easily, for example shake warm milk or cream (an emulsion of fat in water) and you get butter (an emulsion of water in fat)

Once the basic mayo emulsion has started, more oil can be added at a steady rate. In fact Hervé This has calculated that it is in theory possible to make up to 48 pints of mayo with a single egg…

The same principle is valid for other classical french sauces, for exampolle Hollandaise or Bearnaise sauce, which is molten butter emulsified in a warm acid liquid (vineager, lemon juice) in which an egg yolk is whisked. Most cooks think that if this sauce splits, it is because it is too warm, when in fact it is because it does not have enough water. Add a bit of cold water, and the sauce re-emulsifies.

Anyway, enough kitchen physics. One of the most important points about home made mayo is safety. As it is made with raw eggs, it has a potential risk of bacterial contamination, so I would recommend never to keep it more than two days in the fridge. And over here, warm sauces such as they above have to be thrown away at the end of the service for the same reasons.

As per oil choice, experience tells me that sunflower oil is one of the best, closely followed by rapeseed oil. Olive oil gives dissapointing results.

Anyway, it’s fun to experiment with emulsions…. For those interested here’s my recipe for my favourite vinaigrette
    1/4 cup balsamic vineagar
    3/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 tsp honey
    1 tsp dried estragon
    1 to 2 tsp french mustard
    salt & pepper to taste
    whish & serve

and if you want to turn up the thickness a bit and make it stable for 6 month add 1/10th tsp of xanthan, and emulsify it with a plunging mixer…

Cheers to all

• Marilyn says:

Interesting stuff, Eric. Thanks!

Yes, I buy aioli — made in France, I think — at the health food store. I don’t know what all it contains besides garlic, since the wrapper is gone, but it is goooood. :-)

22. Kerstin says:

MrFreddy beat me to it…
    I have also used a stick blender, and it is definitely much easier and faster…and emulsifies beautifully!

23. Marilyn says:

Off the subject of mayo, but on the subject of using animal fats in creative ways: I have a beautiful book here by Jennifer McLagan called “Fat: an Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes.” Some of the recipes would need to be adjusted to make them low-carb — I’m personally not concerned about “paleo” — but here’s an interesting one: “Bacon Baklava.” :-)

I have that book, but haven’t looked at it in awhile.

24. Kathy from Maine says:

This sounds amazing! The only thing that struck me as odd was keeping the bacon grease in Tupperware containers. Are the containers plastic, or the glass ones with the plastic lids?

I keep mine in the old glass containers (like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pyrex-Glass-Food-Container-with-Lid-1-1-2-Cup-/221250375897?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33838cd0d9). For one thing, you can pour the grease it while it’s still hot, plus I try to avoid plastic containers whenever possible.

They’re plastic containers.

• Marilyn says:

Yes, Kathy, I avoid plastic when I can, too. I have a few small heat resistant glass bowls that I use with foil covers. On a day-to-day basis for leftovers, I just use old glass canning jars — half pints and pints with their lids — plus some old glass peanut butter jars with their lids. Takes up less space in the frig than other things.

• Linda R says:

Same here Marilyn, I have quit putting plastic containers into the microwave and I now heat up all my food with these great containers from Corning.

I’m still using plastic containers in the freezer, but try to use bags as much as possible.

• Marilyn says:

Ohhh, those Corning things are cute! Kathy from Maine almost tempted me to bid on a pair of red 1 1/2 cup refrigerator dishes to complete a primary colors set, but I came to my senses and walked away, since I already have more Corning ware than I use. :-)

Yes, I’ve stopped microwaving in those plastic dishes that are supposed to go straight from freezer to microwave. I’ve clearly melted the inside of several of them. It’s easy enough to run hot water over the bottom of a plastic bowl, to pop the frozen food out into a safer bowl for microwaving, or into a pan to heat on the stove.

25. mrfreddy says:

If I remember correctly, your chance of getting a bad raw egg from normal commercial eggs is about 1 in 40,000. If you’re using organic, cage-free, etc. etc., then that number goes up exponentially.

I’ve been eatin ‘em raw for mayo and smoothies on an almost daily basis for quite awhile now, my number hasn’t er, cough cough, come up, so to speak… not yet anyway.

The risk is far lower than I would have thought. That’s good news.

26. On the subject of using bacon grease for mayo…

You know how bacon grease gets hard in the fridge? The same thing happens to bacon mayo in the fridge. It turns hard as a rock, and you don’t want to have to “melt” mayo to use it. Besides, when I used it right away after making it, before refrigeration, it tasted so much like bacon grease that it did not taste like mayo at all. It was NOT like mayo with a hint of bacon taste. Nothing against the taste of bacon grease, but when I want mayo, I want mayo-tasting mayo.

Here is my recipe for mayo, and I use a stick blender with all the ingredients added to a jar together – no dribbling in the oil a little at a time:

1 egg yolk
    1 whole egg
    1/2 Tbs. lemon juice
    1 tsp. yellow mustard
    1/2 tsp. sea salt
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup MCT oil
    1/4 cup coconut oil

I do not heat the coconut oil to melt it, but rather mix it in the the other oils first and then stir them until the coconut oil liquifies.

Making the mayo with 1/3 oil being coconut oil also helps it to have a nice consistency after refrigeration, due to the fact that coconut oil wants to get hard in the fridge. Using the amount I use keeps the mayo from turning hard, but it gives it just the right amount of firmness.

That looks worth a shot. I tried with just MCT oil once and it didn’t mix well.

• Nikolle says:

What is MCT oil?!

It’s derived from coconut oil. The MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) part of coconut oil is supposed to be the most beneficial. It produces ketones and is a fat your body doesn’t like to store, so you tend to burn it.

27. Here are the ingredients to Julia Child’s mayo recipe:

3 egg yolks
    ¼ tsp. Dijon mustard
    1 Tbs. wine vinegar
    Little bit of salt to get things started
    8 oz. oil
    ½ Tbs. lemon juice

I think she used light tasting olive oil.

28. Nads says:

If you use the refined olive oil instead of the extra virgin the taste is good! I can’t handle the extra virgin taste of olive oil or coconut oil.

I’ll have to give that a shot sometime. I’ve never looked for refined olive oil.

• emi11n says:

You might try looking for “lighter flavor” olive oil. That’s what I use and I think it makes delicious mayo. I use Dana Carpender’s recipe from her 500 paleo recipes book.

29. JEY says:

As Rebecca and others mentioned, try mayo with Light-Tasting Olive Oil rather than EVOO. I use this simple whole egg recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whole-egg-mayonnaise/ with White Balsamic vinegar, prepared Dijon mustard, and Light Olive Oil.

If the three flavors of olive oil are new to anyone, watch this ad from the Bertolli company in Australia. After a lesson from Chef Alfredo Caldo-Freddo, all will be clear :-))

I didn’t realize there were so many types of olive oil. My concern, though, is that a lot of what’s sold as olive oil is a mix of olive oil and canola or some other oil.

30. Jon says:

Any chance you can put up the recipe for those sweet potato fries, provided it’s not somewhere in the archives already?

We haven’t posted it, but here it is:

Slice up sweet potatoes. Fry them in bacon grease until browned and crispy. Add salt.

31. Mark says:

Hi, big fan of your documentary here.

Just wanted to let you know that physicist Paul Davies mentions low-glucose diet (along with starvation) as one potential treatment for cancer in the following New Scientist lecture:

Cancer from a physicist’s perspective: a new theory of cancer

Thought you might be interested. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, I’ll give it a look.

32. shutchings says:

Tom, Tom, Tom. What are you doing with bottled lemon juice? You think you’ve made good mayo? Sadly, no. You don’t know good mayo, until you’ve made it with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Bottled lemon juice is just plain nasty and should be banned. That said, thank you for the idea of using bacon grease for my mayo. :)

I found one lemon in the fridge. It was old and dry. So I made do.

33. mlantenac says:

Just as I suspected: bacon (as well as bacon grease) is the answer to all of life’s problems.

My philosophy in a nutshell.

34. mrfreddy says:

I use something called Extral Light Olive Oil for mayo (pretty sure I got that idea from Mary Dan Eades).

Just made some baconaise using your recipe, sort of… Didnt have quite enough bacon fat so I added a bit of the above mentioned light olive oil. It does harden up in the fridge but is, like you say, just bit softer than butter, and still useable for burgers and such. Don’t think it would work so good for tuna salad, etc. though.

Ours was great for tuna salad, but you have to let it soften a bit first.

35. John in Seattle says:

Love your whole take on things.

I have been making Mayo with the Costco lite 100% olive oil and and it looks and tastes just like the store bought.

The Mayo does turn white if it is whipped enough and keeps in the fridge for about a week just fine.

2 cups lite olive oil (approximate, add to color and constancy)
    1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
    1 1/2 tbs Brag raw apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp dry mustard.
    1/2 tsp fine nut salt.
    1 whole egg.

I was unable to get a very stable emulsion using a mixer or stick whip, I had to extensively modify a small Cuisinart CH-4DC food chopper to get the mayo to look like store bought and have a good constancy.

36. gallier2 says:

There’s also another solution to the mayonnaise “problem” in paleoland: abstinence. I don’t understant this compulsion to slather sauces, be it mayonnaise, ketchup or even chili paste, on everything. People, food has taste but by adding these extra sauces, you hide it and you will never learn how the distinguish between quality product and crap. I rant because I see it everywhere now, 20 years ago it would have been a big no, no here in France or Germany. I remember when my brother went for the 1st time to Britain, he brought home some strange concoctions like Worceister sauce, mango chutney and other bottled sauces. It was incredibly exotic. We knew ketchup at that time but it was used only for certain specific dishes and mayonnaise was exclusively done from scratch with peanut oil when we had visitors. Buying mayonnaise in jars was considered completely ludicrous, it’s expensive and tastes bad.
    This rant was only to remember people that it’s not only the recommendations that have changed in last 50 years, but also the whole food culture and how we eat that has changed.

• Firebird says:

I feel like I’ve just been lectured by a vegan.

• gallier2 says:

No, that was not what I intended to convey. The idea was that often the use of mayonnaise is there to make things pallatable that are not (dry tunafish, dry buns, cardboard like chicken breasts, you get the idea) and that thanks to low-carb and a better choice of ingredients, one doesn’t need these swallow-helpers anymore.
        I see it every day at work at the canteen, people choose the normal menu item, which is generally a nice meat dish with its sauce and some veggie, but ask to not include the gravy or sauce made from the meat, because it’s too much calories, but then go on and put ketchup, mayo and/or mustard instead. So I have the question are these people genuinly retarded or do they only act that way, replacing a tasty well made sauce by real chefs by an industrial slurry, which is twice as fat or a sugary syrup-like substance that only has tomato printed on the label.

TL;DR eat real good mayonnaise in the right context, but you don’t need as much as you think you do.

• Becky says:

I love to make dill tuna fish salad in cucumber slices ( I cut the slices thick and use a melon baller to create a divot). I also use it to make bacon deviled eggs. It’s a great way to add healthy fat to a diet and create some tasty portable snacks! Also, who doesn’t love a BLT lettuce wrap with a nice garlic aioli? Lots of uses for a good paleo diet.

37. Barbara says:

I made this and stirred it into tuna salad as suggested. Had to make one change, though, used French’s mustard instead of mustard powder. Was surprised that it thickened up. Any way to make it more *tangy* like miracle whip? It was too much like mayo for my liking.

38. Brian says:

I feel like there is a lot of room to experiment here. Someone mentioned that the emulsifiers from one egg could stretch to 48 pints of mayonnaise, but what about the reverse?

There’s a recipe I have for paleo bread made from coconut flour but it requires EIGHT egg whites per batch. So each time I make it, I’m left with eight egg yolks to discard or do something with. How would the mayonnaise end up if you used more yolks than was necessary? Something like eight yolks to 2 cups oil, for instance. Or maybe even eight yolks to one cup! Can it be done?

By reverse, do you mean can you make an egg from 48 pints of mayo? That sound like an expensive egg.

39. anne says:

I use a stick blender inside a 1 c mason jar, and it takes all of 30 seconds. Fun chemistry lesson (suspension/emulsification! for the kids, too). I use the “light” olive oil (and the resulting mayo is creamy white). Bacon grease is tasty, but I never have enough.

I don’t think I’ve ever tried light olive oil. Again, my concern is the large number of bogus olive oils out there.

40. jake3_14 says:

Where can I buy that handheld whisk blender in your photos? I’ve been hand-whisking, and it’s tiring! My stick blender always breaks the emulsion, but a whisk blender wouldn’t.

Chareva found that one at Wal-Mart. I believe she said it was $20.

41. Becky says:

I actually have a ton of luck with my stick blender. I doubled the eggs & halved the oil for a thicker mayo. I also add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a spicy bacon deviled egg snack. And I hope Michel Jacobson eats one & chokes on it!

He’d never eat anything with bacon in it.