Weekend Bonus: The Older Brother’s Oldest Son’s Faux Carb Pizza

Greetings, fellow Fat Heads.

A few weeks ago, The Oldest Son found a great low-carb pizza recipe.  We already had a couple of recipes, but after this one, I don’t think we’ll be going back.  The other ones we had kept were really good, but we had to eat them with utensils.  With this one, the only way you know you aren’t holding a “real” slice of pizza in your hand is that, as mentioned in his write-up, you get full after a few slices, instead of going into that “I’m stuffed — give me another!” gluten-induced spiral.

He told Tom about it, and Tom suggested he write it up to share with all of you.  I have to say, for a guy who never liked reading or writing for fun, he did a pretty good job.  Be sure to try this at home, kids.

Cheers!

The Older Brother

=======================================

An odd thing happened for the first time in a long time:

… Leftover pizza!

Part of this is because I rarely eat pizza, but mostly because it is incredibly filling (and healthy), so I highly recommend trying it even if you aren’t suffering from the new obesity disease… I hear that’s going around.

To give credit where it’s due, I am basing this recipe on one I found at cookyscreations.blogspot.com.  A friend and I then made a couple modifications. Go ahead and buy a few bags of mozzarella — you will be making more of this very soon.

The Crust:

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour
2 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic salt
Parchment paper and cookie sheet

Instructions:

-put  mozzarella & cream cheese in a medium size  microwaveable bowl

After making some keto recipes, I found it best to cube up the cream cheese before melting with other cheeses

-Microwave for 1 min, stir and then another 30 sec, stir (very hot!)

-Stir in egg &  almond flour

-Wet hands and spread “dough” thin on parchment paper. It should spread evenly with dough-like consistency (if “stringy” then your cheese has hardened too much—just put it back in the microwave for maybe another 20 seconds)

-Dock (poke rows of holes) with a fork to avoid bubbling

-Sprinkle with garlic salt

-Put in 425 degree oven

-After about 8 minutes, check it and poke holes where any large bubbles may be.

-continue cooking for a total 12-14 min, or until slightly brown on top.

It should look like this:

Here is what I do for the toppings:

[Keep in mind that the toppings only cook long enough for the cheese to melt. Therefore, any meats you add need to be fully cooked.]

Before you begin making your crust, place the sausage on medium-low heat in a cast iron pan. I prefer ground Salciccia sausage—it is similar to Italian sausage. Do not stir too much or you will end up with taco meat consistency. After a few minutes you may need to use a baster to get excess water/grease out, but not too much. You want fully cooked, dime-sized sausages.

Put the sausage in a separate bowl, keeping the grease to sauté your veggies in!

Add a thin layer of pizza sauce, your desired amount of meats, veggies, cheese, and then sprinkle on oregano and basil. I prefer a lot of mozzarella and a handful of cheddar.

This is a double batch which filled up a cookie sheet and five hungry adults. (I would normally space the sausage better, but I was rushing making three at once.)

Although higher in carbs, due to the extra sauce, my next attempt will be my “Achilles heel”: Chicago style (deep dish) pizza.

Hope you enjoy it.  In the meantime…

— The Older Brother’s Oldest Son

610 thoughts on “Weekend Bonus: The Older Brother’s Oldest Son’s Faux Carb Pizza

1. Trish

Hi I just had my first attempt at fat head crust. It failed miserably! I can’t use almond flour bc of allergies so I subbed coconut flour. It would not blend in. I tried reheating to mix no luck. Can you suggest how much coconut flour or another sub. Thanks Trish

1. Tom Naughton

I haven’t tried it, but you could start by substituting coconut flour at the same proportions.

1. Latasha Breckenridge

I am also allergic to tree nuts. I use sunflower seed flower which acts a lot like almond flower. When you season the crust you can not taste the sunflower seed taste….Yummm

2. Keith

I have substituted coconut flour. Just blend it in before you microwave. Put all the ingredients except the egg and blend together with your fingers. Then microwave and blend in the egg. Worked great for me. I also added a pinch of oregano to the mix because I’m not crazy about the taste of coconut flour.

3. Tammy

I found a flour called Paleo Flour at Walmart. I cannot have almond flour either. It worked just find and made a delicious crust

4. Anne

I used 1/4 c coconut flour for every 3/4 c almond four.
      Also I used coconut spray oil on parchment paper when baking. The cheese causes it to stick to pans!

1. Jeff

Try throwing a couple hand fulls of pork rinds into the food processor, then into the dough mixture, gives it some body and in most cases, pick up able

5. Kathleen

I realize this reply is a almost a year later but, for others with the same question/problem:
      You should only use 1/4 to 1/3 the amount of coconut flour. It soaks up liquids like crazy so you may need an additional egg.

6. Cindy

I used coconut flour. I had to stick my hand in and kneed it and punch and flip, but it turned out alright. Very dry, thanks for the info about using less. I will try that next time. The flavor is very good though.

7. Amanda

Check out sugarfreemom.com she does hers with coconut flour….she has a nut allergy in her household:) hope that helps!

1. Pam

Love the Fathead dough pizza crust. I used plastic wrap and a dough roller to roll out my dough thin. We also added garlic power and Italian seasoning to the crust.

1. Dana Carpender

This is a tad late, but I just ran it through Mastercook:

Tom says the pizza made with this crust fed “five hungry adults.” This analysis does not include toppings, but each share of the crust will have: 226 Calories; 15g Fat (58.4% calories from fat); 17g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 7g net carbs

And Tom, if you ever need a recipe analyzed, just ask. 🙂

1. Tom Naughton

Actually, it was the nephew who said a double batch fed five hungry adults. I could eat half of a single batch myself, although some people don’t consider me an adult.

Thanks for the analysis. It’s not as high in calories as I would have suspected.

2. Carol

I just wanted to tell you that I tried this recipe today for the 1st time and OHMYGOODNESS what a game changer!!! I will NEVER miss pizza again with this!!! I added a pinch of salt, oregano and garlic powder to the dough, then a bit of more garlic powder on top of the crust before baking. AMAZINGLY GOOD!! Thanks!!!

1. Frodus

I’m about to try it without a microwave this weekend hopefully.
      I imagine I can just heat it real low in the toaster oven or stove top.
      I think the stove top seems like the best option since you can stir it while heating.

1. Chrissie

I just melted it in a double broiler on the stove (boil water in one larger pot and put a smaller pot inside that one so the cheese doesn’t burn).

2. Frodus

Stove top worked good for me.
      I started heating the cheese and cream cheese in a stainless pan on medium heat.
      After it started melting I turned the heat down to 2-3. I stirred it often and made it sure it melted.
      Turned the stove off. Then put in the egg and almond flour and seasonings in. Stirred it up good and put it on parchment.

It was great! A bit dry, but I made them thin and over cooked it in the oven. Still tastes great! I’m going to keep trying and tweaking this recipe until it’s perfect for me.

1. Mary

I am usually the same with dairy, but have found that Organic Valley grass fed and organic cheese has been okay! Maybe try that out!

3. Ruta Prescott

Halleujah! Finished my first 30 days of Keto and discovered this fantastic recipe! It came out great! I cooked up some pepparoni, mushrooms, and sundried tomato pieces for my topping! Great texture, flavor and most importantly, tastes simply mah-veluous! This will be a once a week treat!

4. Emily

5. Michelle

First time making it tonight. My microwave has a MELT Option. Are used the chocolate melt setting. Came out perfect. Mixed very easily. Baked at 4:25 until it looked like the photo and then I flipped it over to toast up the bottom For about three minutes.! This makes for a perfect crust!

1. betty s daub

yes, my son fries it in a little bit of bacon grease and it taste wonderful. The frying makes
      it crispier also.

6. Maz wills

I am vegan and was wondering if I could substitute the cheese for vegan cheese. And use a chia seed egg instead.

1. Candy Lind

I believe I have seen on another site where you can freeze it. This dough is used in a myriad of recipes in different incarnations – just google “fat-head recipe” – you’ll be amazed. There’s even gnocchi based on this dough!

7. Jaime Lynne

Maz, I’m wondering the same thing. Would like to make a vegan version of possible. Or at least minimal cheese.

8. Sandra

I tried your recipe and it was perfect. Instead of mixing by hand I put ingredients in my food processor. I rolled it thin and tasted amazing. Thanks for the recipe.

9. Melissa

Friday night has always been pizza night at our house. When starting our keto diet my husband thought he would never enjoy pizza again. I surprised him with Fat Head pizza last week and he is now a huge fan. We repeated it again last night (with different toppings) and it was the star of movie night. Even our kids like it. Can’t thank you enough for this recipe.

10. bonnieg

did double recipe and put in a cookie sheet ( 15 x 0) spread to edges. delicious!!!! my cheese was a packaged italian mix.

11. Stephanie

I’ve made this twice and substituted 1/4 cup coconut flour for the almond flour. I put the double the coconut flour and two eggs in the KitchenAid mixer on lower. Once I melted the cheeses in the microwave, I added them to the mixer and let it mix for a couple of minutes. I rolled it out between parchment paper with coconut oil. It worked great!! I am so grateful to have a tasty, low-carb, gluten free pizza crust. Thanks!!

12. Nino

Hello,

Big pizza fan here. I have tried this recipe few times as well as cauliflower crust and it just doesnt work. I love eggs, but when they are added in recipe like this and baked I dont like it. I dont think that is possible to get even a similiar pizza dough in keto eating.

13. Trish

Has anyone used a substitute for the Almond flour?
    I have a but allergy!
    I’m not sure if coconut flour would work! Thanks!

14. Victoria

Is there a way to make this without microwave in the beginning? I do not have a microwave and don’t want to own one but would love to try this dough.. Thanks!

1. gina phillips

I melted the cheese by putting it in a small mason jar and placing the jar in a pot of boiling water. A double boiler method and it worked just fine.

15. Dee Bradley

My husband and I love pizza. I make a double batch of the dough and press it into a medium size pizza pan with parchment paper. I leave a two inch flap all around the lip of the pan then half mozzarella sticks, lay them around the inside of the pan and fold the dough over to make a “cheese in the crust” pizza. No matter what toppings we use this is by far the best pizza dough we have tasted.

16. gina phillips

I used pork rinds instead of flour and heavy cream instead of cream cheese. It was delicious. Be sure and grind the rinds very fine. Next time I am going to roll the dough out more because I like the crust to be crispy. I may try olive oil and salt on the bottom of the dough,too. I didn’t have garlic salt so I used powdered garlic and the crust lacked salt. I topped it with sausage, mushrooms, onions, and green peppers. I have spikes with canned tomato sauce, so I made mine from scratch using all natural tomato paste, olive oil, italian seasoning and a bit of water to get the right consistency. I could taste the egg so next time I will be more generous with the seasoning in the crust. I’m also going to try spinach and feta cheese provided feta is on the food list. This is a really good find for me. Many thanks for sharing.

17. Lisa

Does anyone know if the 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella is firmly packed or is it in there loose? Or if anyone could tell me how many grams of the mozzarella is used for the crust I’d be ever so thankful. I’ve seen other ones like this and they say 170g so maybe thats the same for this one?

18. Michelle

Just made this doubling the crust recipe to make two pizzas. One pepperoni with mozzarella and the other with chicken breast, sun-dried tomatoes, and feta cheese. Both were good. I think I need to add more mozzarella on top of both and add Parmesan to both for next time. I calculated the calories and protein for the crust and it totaled 1110 calories and 62 grams of protein. Then add your toppings and divide how you see fit. I didn’t calculate the carbs though. Anyone have that info? I did see on another post that they came up with 35 grams of carbs for the whole crust.

19. Dana

Can these crusts be frozen to use another time? I’m having a wood fired pizza party andwouldlije to make these crusts for carb free guests. Making them ahead and freezing would save me time.

1. Tom Naughton

Dana Carpender calculated those and has them in comments somewhere. You may just want to add up macros for you ingredients to be sure.