Weekend Bonus: The Older Brother’s Oldest Son’s Faux Carb Pizza

Greetings, fellow Fat Heads.

A few weeks ago, The Oldest Son found a great low-carb pizza recipe.  We already had a couple of recipes, but after this one, I don’t think we’ll be going back.  The other ones we had kept were really good, but we had to eat them with utensils.  With this one, the only way you know you aren’t holding a “real” slice of pizza in your hand is that, as mentioned in his write-up, you get full after a few slices, instead of going into that “I’m stuffed — give me another!” gluten-induced spiral.

He told Tom about it, and Tom suggested he write it up to share with all of you.  I have to say, for a guy who never liked reading or writing for fun, he did a pretty good job.  Be sure to try this at home, kids.

Cheers!

The Older Brother

=======================================

An odd thing happened for the first time in a long time:

… Leftover pizza!

Part of this is because I rarely eat pizza, but mostly because it is incredibly filling (and healthy), so I highly recommend trying it even if you aren’t suffering from the new obesity disease… I hear that’s going around.

To give credit where it’s due, I am basing this recipe on one I found at cookyscreations.blogspot.com.  A friend and I then made a couple modifications. Go ahead and buy a few bags of mozzarella — you will be making more of this very soon.

The Crust:

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour
2 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic salt
Parchment paper and cookie sheet

Instructions:

-put  mozzarella & cream cheese in a medium size  microwaveable bowl

After making some keto recipes, I found it best to cube up the cream cheese before melting with other cheeses

-Microwave for 1 min, stir and then another 30 sec, stir (very hot!)

-Stir in egg &  almond flour

-Wet hands and spread “dough” thin on parchment paper. It should spread evenly with dough-like consistency (if “stringy” then your cheese has hardened too much—just put it back in the microwave for maybe another 20 seconds)

-Dock (poke rows of holes) with a fork to avoid bubbling

-Sprinkle with garlic salt

-Put in 425 degree oven

-After about 8 minutes, check it and poke holes where any large bubbles may be.

-continue cooking for a total 12-14 min, or until slightly brown on top.

It should look like this:

Here is what I do for the toppings:

[Keep in mind that the toppings only cook long enough for the cheese to melt. Therefore, any meats you add need to be fully cooked.]

Before you begin making your crust, place the sausage on medium-low heat in a cast iron pan. I prefer ground Salciccia sausage—it is similar to Italian sausage. Do not stir too much or you will end up with taco meat consistency. After a few minutes you may need to use a baster to get excess water/grease out, but not too much. You want fully cooked, dime-sized sausages.

Put the sausage in a separate bowl, keeping the grease to sauté your veggies in!

Add a thin layer of pizza sauce, your desired amount of meats, veggies, cheese, and then sprinkle on oregano and basil. I prefer a lot of mozzarella and a handful of cheddar.

This is a double batch which filled up a cookie sheet and five hungry adults. (I would normally space the sausage better, but I was rushing making three at once.)

Although higher in carbs, due to the extra sauce, my next attempt will be my “Achilles heel”: Chicago style (deep dish) pizza.

Hope you enjoy it.  In the meantime…

— The Older Brother’s Oldest Son

571 thoughts on “Weekend Bonus: The Older Brother’s Oldest Son’s Faux Carb Pizza

1. Pingback: Fat Head Pizza | packmomslowcarblove

2. ClamDigger

This looks scrumptious, can’t wait to make it…for which I bought 8 oz cream cheese just two hours ago. Had been making pizza crust with egg, mozzarella, Italine herbs, and nothing else, a recipe I found at SparkPeople. Very tasty but have to eat it with a fork. I hope this recipe becomes my go-to; we haven’t had “normal” pizza for 7 years (low-carbing) but perhaps it can be one of our regulars again. Thanks!

3. Anita

We were having a big chef salad with steak, instead of ham, but were “craving” some garlic bread to have with our salad. i made this crust, but put butter and garlic on it. WE LOVED IT!

It completely filled my bread craving and I know I shall be making this and variations of this every week. Thank you!

1. Laurie Rosen

Making garlic bread out of it? Brilliant! I’ll have to remember this. I’m just getting back to better eating after eating gluten free and high carb junk this month due to school. This pizza is going to save me! 🙂

4. Melissa Kirk

This recipe is perfect!!! We actually don’t use a microwave but in a small stainless steel sauce pan over very low heat and constant stirring… It comes out perfect! This recipe Lamont’s tastes better the second day and since it’s so filling you will have left overs for the second day! :-)) love it! Thank you!!!!

5. Jared

Hey love this recipie just wanted to share tht I found adding Italian seasoning to the almond flour it will remove any sweetness from the almond flour makes it taste just like regular pizza crust

6. Gayla

Wow, this was awesome! Nice and firm, so you can actually hold it like regular pizza. I think next time I make it, I’ll try spraying a top sheet of parchment paper with Pam to cover the crust and roll it out with a rolling pin. Mine only made a 10 x 8 oval. But it was so much better than the cauliflower crust!

1. Gayla

Just made it again, but I didn’t have any cream cheese, so I substituted half & half and a little oil. It worked! I also rolled it with a rolling pin sprayed with Pam. It was not nearly as messy and I got a rounder shape that way.

1. Kate

Sorry…I just realized we’re only replacing 2 TBSP of cream cheese. I should be able to figure this out for myself. 🙂

7. Bob Niland

We make this often, and since I just referenced it on another blog, let me add here what I mentioned there:

Pre-grated cheese, including mozzarella, are often treated with natamycin (an anti-fungal) or similar antimicrobials. Check with your microbiome on whether or not this is a super swell idea.

Grated cheeses often also have flow (anticaking) agents which can represent a wide variety of hazards.

We usually end up buying the moz by the ball, and grating it during prep. This issue, of course, arises in almost any recipe calling for finely divided ingredients.

1. Jillian

Thank you for your comments Bob. I had the same thought as I believe wood shavings are also added to pre-shredded cheese to keep the shreds separated. I try to always use the least processed products, so your mention of grating a moz ball confirms to me that that is the best way to go.
      Following Gayla’s suggestion I think I would try using full cream with a little non processed oil (olive or coconut), in place of the cream cheese.

Thanks to both of you.

8. Kim Mitchell

I absolutely love this pizza! It’s easy to make and tastes delicious! I just need to calculate the net carbs. I got 10 slices from it.

1. Bob Niland

In the US (they don’t export), we’ve been happy with Honeyville Grain, 25# at a time. Yeah, they need to remediate their brand name, but their almond flour is great.

1. Janet Bain

The answer is YES! Last night I made it into bagels using a donut pan…I have seen recipes all over Pinterest using it for hot pockets, strombolis, pinwheels stuffed with meat and cheese etc. Very versatile!

9. Crystal

I am starting KETO and one of my all time favorite foods is pizza! So I am trying out recipies and came across this. I was pleasantly surprised. I almost forgot that it was low-carb. So delicious!

10. Peter Lefebvre

I probably missed a comment here, but has anyone baked the crust, added toppings, and put it back in the oven, while oven was cooling? Or has anyone baked the crust with the toppings?

1. Judy Conard

Tried it for the first time last night. Prebaked the crust, turned the oven off, put toppings on and put it back in the oven and it turned out perfect!

11. mike

I HAVE TIRED MANY KETO PIZZA CRUST RECIPES AND HAVE BEEN DISAPPOINTED. THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST CRUST RECIPE THAT I HAVE EVER MADE. I WILL MAKE IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN. MY WIFE AND GRANDSON ( WHO IS SKINNY AND DOESN’T DO A KETO DIET ) BOTH LOVED IT AS MUCH AS I DID. THANKS SO MUCH.

1. Mike

Assuming you’re okay with other nuts, Macadamia nuts are a great substitute. I blend mine in a Vitamix. More moisture than a flour, but it’s easy to adjust cooking time.

As to the other suggestion of coconut flour, be careful, that extra fiber can wake you up in the middle of the night if you know what I mean.

1. Jess

Mix it in the vitamix and look good? I am thinking of comarla but with much doubts … I will see if I find more recipes. As for the coconut meal, I use it a lot in the masses, but I did not know about the night problems, I’m going to exchange it for buckwheat. Always learning, thank you!

2. Jenn

Use 1/3 cup coconut flour in place of the 3/4 cup almond flour. Coconut flour absorbs liquid more readily, so you need to reduce the amount. Works like a charm.

12. Dianne

I just calculated the carbs per pizza crust (just the crust – none of the toppings that I want on top) and the total is 16.5 net carbs. I do use a kitchen scale to ensure consistency.

5 grams carbs for 150 grams of freshly grated whole milk low-moisture mozzarella (Trader Joe’s brand), (1.5 cups)

2 grams carbs for 28 grams of Philly brand cream cheese, (2 Tbsp)

9 grams carbs for 84 grams fine almond flour (mixed brands since I had to open a new bag)

0.5 (rounded from 0.38) grams carbs for One Large egg

0.0 carbs in garlic salt

———————–

I can easily see my toppings of choice – including a sugar-free pizza sauce that I’ve made to go on it- totaling around 10 or 12 carbs. So, one pizza for me can be upwards to 30 grams total. Not great but much, much better than the real thing.

For light snacks I use the hot cast-iron skillet method for “bar” style pizzas on the Serious Eats website. I just use a low-carb tortilla. They are deliciously thin and crispy but there just isn’t much to them. A person would have to eat a couple to even begin to feel sated.

I’m just preparing the crust for this pizza at the moment. I’ve not assembled the final product for the final bake. From everyone else’s raves, my husband and I are looking forward to dinner tonight! Saturday pizza with little guilt!

1. Reni

Oh yes! I love the Serious Eats pan pizza I am going to try this in the castiron pan the way Serious Eats does it – Thanks for the thought!

13. Melissa Kraynick

This is my making this crust. When I took it out of the oven it wasn’t crispy. Does it take a minute for it to crisp up? Thanks!

14. Kathy

I put it between two sheets of non stick Renolds foil rolled it to size of cookie sheet.
    Took the top off and let it bake on the bottom. Very easy, no mess.

15. ruth

Only pizza crust I make! Love it. I substitute all or half the almond flour with protein powder. But by far the most “real” pizza taste and consistency!

16. Bernadine

I have made this a couple times, doubling the batch to make two pizzas. Tonight we had one with pesto, chicken, spinach, black olives and mozzarella. The other had no sauce, just salami, pepperoni, black olives and mozzarella. Normally I would put more veggies on for hubby, but I was in a rush. It was SOOO good. We bake the crust longer than recommended so it’s not so floppy when the pizza is done, but if you let your pizza cool several minutes the crust does start to firm up as it cools. Also, I have tried both microwave and skillet on low for making the dough. I actually preferred the skillet method. I just sprayed the skillet with coconut oil spray first. Happy eating!

17. Terrence

I worked at a pizza restaurant all through high school, and for a few years after. It’s true, you never get tired of pizza. Having been on HF LC for a couple weeks, I was beginning to crave a good pie. This recipe makes a good pie! It’s quick and easy, and is absolutely close enough to actual pizza.

1. Bob Niland

re: It’s true, you never get tired of pizza.

And looking into why is worthwhile, as Tom did starting at:

On conventional pizza, the top suspects are:
      ☣ the addictive exorphins of polypeptides from wheat gliadin
      ☣ the leptin-blocking effect of wheat germ agglutinin (WGA)
      ☣ the simple blood sugar swings that provoke craving (wheat being hi-gly, but we can’t rule out the pop & beer too often used to wash it down)

FatHead Pizza fixes the major problems with conventional pizza (and the problems with commercial gluten-free pizzas, which may omit the wheat toxins, but are still quite provocative of blood glucose).

FH pizza, by the way, was featured last week on both DietDoctor, and in a subscriber email from Dr. Davis (Wheat Belly).

I’m separately wondering if Tom needs to take steps to trademark FatHead in the context of food products, to forestall some clueless or conniving pizza firm from selling a product under that name that is materially adverse.

1. Tom Naughton

I still feel pangs of guilt that so many people are calling it Fat Head Pizza. All I did was approve a post written by my nephew Eric. He made some minor modifications to a recipe that originally came from cookyscreations.blogspot.com.

2. Firebird7478

Honestly, that hasn’t happened for me. In fact, I tried doing a Carb Night for a month, went to the local pizzeria for two slices of pizza and came away disappointed. I do not miss it.

18. Berny Heitzman

We like veggie pizza, so i oven roasted the peppers, onions and mushrooms on another sheet pan at the same time the crust was baking. Worked out great! Love this stuff!!!

1. Cheryl

Oh I will have to try that. My favorite pizza from a well known pizza chain was a gourmet veggie pizza, would need to add artichoke to that list. And top with toasted pine nuts and arugula.

19. Ellen

This is hands down the best low carb crust ever just one complaint it is so salty is that the almond flour I didn’t add the garlic salt to it and was still very salty?

20. Seedsaver

All I can do is say THANK YOU. After losing. 107 pounds in 8 1/2 months and being grain free for over a year….I was starting to lose hope and started craving real junk. This completely satisfied my need to feel “normal” ….so Thank YOU. ( I know that was a little more than just a thanks. )

21. Firebird7478

After years of making the crust the traditional way, this weekend I used my new copper plate and cooked the crust on the stove top. It cooked it up quicker. The bottom was a little brown and turning it over was a challenge but it did cut the time down. I added the toppings and put it in the oven to finish it off in the usual manner.

22. Anna Marouf

I’ve been making this recipe a lot. A helpful tip to make your crust crisp is to lift it (and the parchment paper) up and place it on a raised cooling rack immediately after taking it out of the oven. I also make flatbread out of this recipe to keep on hand at all times.

23. Ken

I have made this pizza three times and each time the crust sticks to the parchment paper once cooked. How does everyone keep the crust from sticking?

24. Hazel

Just made this & tasted great but was stuck to parchment paper & had to scrape it up ff. used cheddar instead of mozzarella. Could this be the issue?

1. Janet

Maybe the cheddar is the issue. I just made it with the mozzarella and it did not stick at all. It lifted right off. We cut it on the paper.

25. Lindy Lou

This is such a wonderful addition to my Keto recipes. I bake mine on a large cookie sheet (usually split the dough in half) and use a silicon mat, the brand I have is Silpat. It never sticks, so is worth the expense.

26. Toni

I love pizza so much that in college, I decided to eat healthy and my local Dominoes called me because they were wondering if I was ok because they had not heard from me. I’m not kidding. So now I’m doing low carb and was missing my pizza. But this was amazing and I’m so happy that it tastes so awesome. Thank you!!

27. Alison

Your older brother’s oldest son is a genius. This dough is so versatile!
    I always make a double batch. Half of it I cut into 9 square-ish pieces and split each horizontally when cooled off a bit (I use full fat mozzarella and add 1Tbls. coconut flour). Voila! Super-thin sandwich bread. As a matter of fact, I just finished a bacon cheddar cheeseburger that I DID NOT have to eat with a fork!
    Thanks, Fathead Guy!

28. Penny

Made this last night as it was pizza night for the rest of the family, usually just close my eyes and ignore! So I was totally amazed with this pizza crust. It is sooo filling, i only ate half of the crust! this morning, warmed up one piece of the left over crust and ate it with my eggs, and for the first time since starting this Keto, I am not craving more after finishing my “allotted” portion. Must be the Almond meal, it so filling and satisfying! Somebody needs to award you a medal!

29. Janet

Man, this recipe is terrific. I used Red Mill Paleo mix rather than straight almond, and Muir Glen pizza sauce, and otherwise as listed and it was really wonderful! The crust turned beautifully golden, and with good cheese, rich sauce, fragrant basil, well seared sausage, yumm, you might have thought you were at an upscale restaurant specializing in thin crust artisan pizzas. And that crust is easy! I can ruin water! It’s unfailable.

30. Chris

Excellent! I just made it as a white pizza with fresh basil, olives, blue cheese and mozzarella. It was wonderful but I got full eating the ingredients waiting for things to come together so i am saving it for dinner 🙂

31. Whitedove

Surprised no one asked about the Salciccia sausage. Where to find. I’m in northern AZ. Not so much Italain foods here. That I miss. Was from Boston and New York. Thks. Love pizza

32. Joanne

Delish! Just enjoyed my pizza with a little chopped onion, chopped chestnut mushrooms, ham and cheese….. best low carb pizza base so far! 🙂

33. Joseph

This is amazing. I doubled it and added an extra egg. Mixed in some garlic, oregano, parsley, and basil to the crust. Used garlic butter and Parmesan in place of pizza sauce then used thick cut pepperoni and diced some tomato. was absolutely delicious.

1. The Older Brother Post author

Just want to keep in mind that you’re ditching the gluten either way, but there’s more carbs in the coconut flour compared to the almond.