Weekend Bonus: The Older Brother’s Oldest Son’s Faux Carb Pizza

Greetings, fellow Fat Heads.

A few weeks ago, The Oldest Son found a great low-carb pizza recipe.  We already had a couple of recipes, but after this one, I don’t think we’ll be going back.  The other ones we had kept were really good, but we had to eat them with utensils.  With this one, the only way you know you aren’t holding a “real” slice of pizza in your hand is that, as mentioned in his write-up, you get full after a few slices, instead of going into that “I’m stuffed — give me another!” gluten-induced spiral.

He told Tom about it, and Tom suggested he write it up to share with all of you.  I have to say, for a guy who never liked reading or writing for fun, he did a pretty good job.  Be sure to try this at home, kids.

Cheers!

The Older Brother

=======================================

An odd thing happened for the first time in a long time:

… Leftover pizza!

Part of this is because I rarely eat pizza, but mostly because it is incredibly filling (and healthy), so I highly recommend trying it even if you aren’t suffering from the new obesity disease… I hear that’s going around.

To give credit where it’s due, I am basing this recipe on one I found at cookyscreations.blogspot.com.  A friend and I then made a couple modifications. Go ahead and buy a few bags of mozzarella — you will be making more of this very soon.

The Crust:

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour
2 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic salt
Parchment paper and cookie sheet

Instructions:

-put  mozzarella & cream cheese in a medium size  microwaveable bowl

After making some keto recipes, I found it best to cube up the cream cheese before melting with other cheeses

-Microwave for 1 min, stir and then another 30 sec, stir (very hot!)

-Stir in egg &  almond flour

-Wet hands and spread “dough” thin on parchment paper. It should spread evenly with dough-like consistency (if “stringy” then your cheese has hardened too much—just put it back in the microwave for maybe another 20 seconds)

-Dock (poke rows of holes) with a fork to avoid bubbling

-Sprinkle with garlic salt

-Put in 425 degree oven

-After about 8 minutes, check it and poke holes where any large bubbles may be.

-continue cooking for a total 12-14 min, or until slightly brown on top.

It should look like this:

Here is what I do for the toppings:

[Keep in mind that the toppings only cook long enough for the cheese to melt. Therefore, any meats you add need to be fully cooked.]

Before you begin making your crust, place the sausage on medium-low heat in a cast iron pan. I prefer ground Salciccia sausage—it is similar to Italian sausage. Do not stir too much or you will end up with taco meat consistency. After a few minutes you may need to use a baster to get excess water/grease out, but not too much. You want fully cooked, dime-sized sausages.

Put the sausage in a separate bowl, keeping the grease to sauté your veggies in!

Add a thin layer of pizza sauce, your desired amount of meats, veggies, cheese, and then sprinkle on oregano and basil. I prefer a lot of mozzarella and a handful of cheddar.

This is a double batch which filled up a cookie sheet and five hungry adults. (I would normally space the sausage better, but I was rushing making three at once.)

Although higher in carbs, due to the extra sauce, my next attempt will be my “Achilles heel”: Chicago style (deep dish) pizza.

Hope you enjoy it.  In the meantime…

— The Older Brother’s Oldest Son

627 thoughts on “Weekend Bonus: The Older Brother’s Oldest Son’s Faux Carb Pizza

1. Michael Bucko

Went exactly by your instructions. It melted perfectly, folded well spread out just great. Baking crust now drooling right now because all of the toppings are ready can hardly wait, Great stuff I’d waiting. Thanks

1. Tami

I put this in my fitness pal as a double batch and 8 servings. With that as my premise, per serving it calculates to 248 calories, 20.2g fat, 14.4g protein, 6.2g carbs, 2.2g fiber, so 4g net carbs. This is for the crust only you would need to figure in the nutritional breakdown of any toppings. Hope that helos.

2. Anonymous

This is a tad late, but I just ran it through Mastercook:

Tom says the pizza made with this crust fed “five hungry adults.” This analysis does not include toppings, but each share of the crust will have: 226 Calories; 15g Fat (58.4% calories from fat); 17g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 7g net carbs

per Dana

1. Sandra

You would think for the fact there is almond flour in it,this recipe should therefore have a fibre count of more then 0. So I think this nutrition count is still off some.

1. Mary

What you can do is flip the cooked crust, PRE-TOPPING, over onto another piece of parchment paper or if you can do it, onto the same one. Then add your toppings and proceed as normal. I found that made it pretty crispy although not flipping it was crispy too.

2. Anonymous

Amendment to my above comment. I made this today and 8 servings is not at all right. More like 24 and even that is a pretty good sized serving. I did press mine fairly thin, because I like a thin crust. I would suggest making it punching the info into a food calculator and make it to how many servings you come out with.

1. Mary

Most grocery stores have it. If not you can buy almonds and make your own flour in a food processor. Just make sure you don’t go overboard or it becomes almond butter! I buy Bobs Mill almond flour, it’s a popular brand and in most stores.

1. Anonymous

Almond flour has the fat pretty much all removed so it would be made from what’s left after the process of making almond milk. The pulp would need dessicated then blitzed into a flour. Blitzed almonds would give you ground Almonds, a different product

1. Wendy

I made four small rounds out of this recipe, used two of them for mini pizzas and put the other two in the refrigerator overnight. I’m using one today for my sandwich – super delicious! I’ve seen other sites where people make a sizable batch and put them in the freezer with great success. I’ll have to give that a go.

3. john

I used 1 1/2 cups mozz, 2tbs cream cheese, 3/4 cup almond flour and an egg to make a 12 inch round pizza which i cut into 6 slices. How would you approximate the nutritional info for that? thanks.

1. Wendy

Download a food tracking app like Carb Manager and plug all of the ingredients in as a recipe. It will give you the macro breakdown per serving.

4. Gizmokin

This was delicious. My mom, not on Keto, loved it. So quick and easy as an added bonus. I had two pieces and I’m full and happy.

5. Quisha

O! M! Geeee!! This is my first keto recipe n both me n my hubby are Amazed at how GOOD this pizza is! WOW! Now I’m officially excited about my new lifestyle change!!!😋😋😋🏃🏾‍♀️🏃🏾‍♀️🏃🏾‍♀️😍😍😍🏃🏾‍♀️🏃🏾‍♀️🏃🏾‍♀️👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾😋😋😋🏃🏾‍♀️🏃🏾‍♀️🏃🏾‍♀️

6. Mary

OMG! The best pizza ever!! Followed your instructions, and BAM!! Rustic style pizza!! So good! Thank you..thank you..thank you!!! I can eat again!!

7. @anyatika

I just made this according to recipe. I added a heavy sprinkling of garlic powder, fine grated fesh white onion on a zester, bc I don’t have onion powder, and Italian seasoning. They came out a lil under done in the middle However browning on the outside. My cookie trays are so dark brown, which made my cook time shorter. I cut my six pancake shaped pieces in half, put them under a low broil to crisp em up for a moment. Sprinkled the half of the halves with leftover mozz, rendered peperonis, toasted it all up till melts, then put the halves back together. It tasted like I pulled the toppings and cheese off the pizza crust after the cheese had become a deep golden toasty color. Those broiled dairy fats are AMAZING. Roasted almond flour is so good, much better than a coconut flour, too! I hope that made sense and I know my grammar and punctuation is crap. Plz forgive me! Back to toast up another! Heheheh!! #eatfattolosefat #fatasstofathead #waitasec #imanidiot #sorrynotsorry

8. LENA MURPHY

I’m looking for the basic fat head dough recipe.. I’d like to make rolls and buns with it.. Not a big pizza person.. I guess I ate too much of it in college.. lol. I have used some fat head recipes that I’ve found on other sites but I’d like to see this one since I’ve been told that it’s the original. I’d also like to know if this recipe can be made into a loaf for sliced sandwich type bread? Please and thank you.. I’m very new to this phenomenon.

9. Cheryl Frisch

I LOVE this! I have been feeling sorry for myself because I couldn’t have pizza.. ( could.. but didnt know it). Mytatse buds are doing a happy dance right now LOL. Also, my husband who complains abut absolutely anything I cook that has almond flour in it loves it too!! SCORE!!! I think Im going to make this for family when they visit, and just not tell them what’s in it until after they try it. I bet they wont even notice a difference. THANK you for this recipe!!!