Greetings, fellow Fat Heads.

A few weeks ago, The Oldest Son found a great low-carb pizza recipe.  We already had a couple of recipes, but after this one, I don’t think we’ll be going back.  The other ones we had kept were really good, but we had to eat them with utensils.  With this one, the only way you know you aren’t holding a “real” slice of pizza in your hand is that, as mentioned in his write-up, you get full after a few slices, instead of going into that “I’m stuffed — give me another!” gluten-induced spiral.

He told Tom about it, and Tom suggested he write it up to share with all of you.  I have to say, for a guy who never liked reading or writing for fun, he did a pretty good job.  Be sure to try this at home, kids.

Cheers!

The Older Brother

=======================================

An odd thing happened for the first time in a long time:

… Leftover pizza!

Part of this is because I rarely eat pizza, but mostly because it is incredibly filling (and healthy), so I highly recommend trying it even if you aren’t suffering from the new obesity disease… I hear that’s going around.

To give credit where it’s due, I am basing this recipe on one I found at cookyscreations.blogspot.com.  A friend and I then made a couple modifications. Go ahead and buy a few bags of mozzarella — you will be making more of this very soon.

The Crust:

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour
2 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic salt
Parchment paper and cookie sheet

Instructions:

-put  mozzarella & cream cheese in a medium size  microwaveable bowl

After making some keto recipes, I found it best to cube up the cream cheese before melting with other cheeses

-Microwave for 1 min, stir and then another 30 sec, stir (very hot!)

-Stir in egg &  almond flour

-Wet hands and spread “dough” thin on parchment paper. It should spread evenly with dough-like consistency (if “stringy” then your cheese has hardened too much—just put it back in the microwave for maybe another 20 seconds)

-Dock (poke rows of holes) with a fork to avoid bubbling

-Sprinkle with garlic salt

-Put in 425 degree oven

-After about 8 minutes, check it and poke holes where any large bubbles may be.

-continue cooking for a total 12-14 min, or until slightly brown on top.

It should look like this:

Here is what I do for the toppings:

[Keep in mind that the toppings only cook long enough for the cheese to melt. Therefore, any meats you add need to be fully cooked.]

Before you begin making your crust, place the sausage on medium-low heat in a cast iron pan. I prefer ground Salciccia sausage—it is similar to Italian sausage. Do not stir too much or you will end up with taco meat consistency. After a few minutes you may need to use a baster to get excess water/grease out, but not too much. You want fully cooked, dime-sized sausages.

Put the sausage in a separate bowl, keeping the grease to sauté your veggies in!

Add a thin layer of pizza sauce, your desired amount of meats, veggies, cheese, and then sprinkle on oregano and basil. I prefer a lot of mozzarella and a handful of cheddar.

This is a double batch which filled up a cookie sheet and five hungry adults. (I would normally space the sausage better, but I was rushing making three at once.)

Although higher in carbs, due to the extra sauce, my next attempt will be my “Achilles heel”: Chicago style (deep dish) pizza.

Hope you enjoy it.  In the meantime…

– The Older Brother’s Oldest Son

173 Responses to “Weekend Bonus: The Older Brother’s Oldest Son’s Faux Carb Pizza”
  1. Christy says:

I’ve made the cauliflower crust (which wasn’t bad, just time consuming IMO), BUT I’ve made this exact recipe minus the flour and it still turned out great!! It lowered the carb content. I was afraid it would stick to the bottom and be a mess, but it was great!! I didn’t pick it up with my hands and eat it, but I think I could’ve had I wanted to, I don’t think the crust was as dense because it had zero flour, but it was great! My husband even requests this pizza!

2. Jean Meller says:

I tried this today for lunch. Yes, it is very filling, one piece was enough for me. I am type 2 diabetic and it satisfied my craving for regular crust pizza. It has a lot of fat but once in a while would be ok for me. I froze the rest in slices for when I have cravings again. Thank you.

3. Maegan says:

I made this today for lunch and it was DELICIOUS!!! I put two pieces on my plate and thought, “I’m probably going to eat the entire pizza, but I’ll start with two.” It was so very filling, that two pieces was all I needed…and I can usually eat an entire regular pizza by myself!! Thank you for this recipe!!! I can’t wait for leftovers tomorrow!

4. Debbie says:

Tried it with only a tablespoon of almond flour to help it mix and it’s the best thing I’ve tasted in a long time!

5. Donna says:

Absolutely the best I’ve ever had! Going to use this as a bread also, loved it!

6. Sue says:

Made this tonight for myself and my non-low-carb elderly mother. We both loved it! It’s staying on the menu in the future!

7. Cristina says:

Oh my gosh! Made this pizza tonight and it is SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD! We have been low carb for awhile and needed a fix—this is fantastic! Thanks for sharing it! So….how’s that Chicago style version coming along? :)

8. tracy says:

Can you use almond meal?

• Tom Naughton says:

Never tried it. I believe you’d want it as powdery as possible, like flour.

• David says:

I couldn’t find almond flour, so I bought almond meal assuming it was possibly the same thing. One of the best pizzas ever!!! I love the rustic style of it. My non low carb friends loved it! Any idea how many carbs the crust has btw?

• jen says:

Almond meal and almond flour are the same thing. One perhaps finer than the other, but they are interchangeable.

9. Sade says:

Can I use coconut flour? Just wondering if it would be the same thing?

• Tom Naughton says:

It would probably work. All you can do is give it a shot and see.

• Cspenc says:

You cannot substitute coconut flour for almond flour 1:1. Coconut flour has strange properties. It absorbs ALOT of liquid. Do some internet searches to learn more about cooking with it.

10. Tammie says:

I’m trying this with low carb Alfredo sauce and spinach & feta! Maybe some bacon too! Thank you! I can’t wait!!

11. Tina K. says:

Has anybody tried this with soy flour?

12. Lou says:

This site has the nutrition info but that’s just for the crust – not for additional toppings http://caloriecount.about.com/fathead-pizza-crust-recipe-r1447512

13. Cherie says:

OMGoodness!! I cant tell the difference from regular pizza crust, thank you so much for sharing.

14. Ronel says:

I make it with sunflower meal and also great!!

15. CJ says:

I make a taco version of this – taco sauce, taco meat, cheddar and pepper jack cheese with onions, poblano and bell peppers. Top with shredded lettuce, fresh tomatoes, salsa and full fat sour cream! It tastes just like a taco without the nasty corn!

16. flgirl says:

Wow! I’m late to the pizza party but holy catcalls was this amazing! I admit, I was skeptical being the food snob that I am, but am soooo happy to admit it was fantastic. Best pizza crust ever. Now go make it, the recipe is perfect as written.

17. Kim says:

Wow this sounds great!! I have made many different grain-free pizza crusts and none of them taste good or get thin and crispy enough for our liking. I am trying this one and spreading it thinner to see how it works. THANKS for great recipe. Now just wish there wasn’t as many calories!! :)

18. Allana says:

We make this now ALL THE TIME as I’m on a low carb diet. The whole family (even those who don’t low carb) love it. No one could tell the difference the first time I made it!

19. Lori says:

OMG finally an awesome pizza crust thank you so much for sharing

20. Danay D says:

Omg! Beyond delicious! I used pesto as my sauce and it is yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

21. gail mann says:

Just an idea I had today……..made this without the garlic and have kept it in the fridge. Today I dipped in eggs and fried up and used SF syrup for French Toast!! Verrrry good.

22. Lori says:

I just made the pizza and it was AMAZING! TY for the recipe!

23. Melissa says:

I just made this tonight for a dinner party. I made it into a Mexican pizza with enchilada sauce, Angus beef hamburger and Argentine chorizo, topped with cheddar and pepper jack and served with shredded lettuce and guacamole. Amazing!!!! I can’t get over how easy it was or how delicious. I’ve tried a lot of low carb grain-free crusts and this was by far the best. Thank you so much!

24. Angela says:

Wow, very impressed with this pizza. We loved it !

Hubby had some pizza sauce on his half (none for me thanks), we both had Italian sausage and I had 3 cheeses – no sauce on my side and it was excellent.

This is a winning combination !

25. Rosemary says:

I made this last night and I’m very pleased. Best recipe for pizza crust yet and very easy. Wanting to go to bed I just left it out on the counter. How is the baked crust stored? I, also, intend to try the recipe for other uses. I’d like to hear about other experiments that have been successful.

26. Mommabear says:

Wow this was amazing!! I might eat pizza every night. Thanks