Greetings, fellow Fat Heads.

A few weeks ago, The Oldest Son found a great low-carb pizza recipe.  We already had a couple of recipes, but after this one, I don’t think we’ll be going back.  The other ones we had kept were really good, but we had to eat them with utensils.  With this one, the only way you know you aren’t holding a “real” slice of pizza in your hand is that, as mentioned in his write-up, you get full after a few slices, instead of going into that “I’m stuffed — give me another!” gluten-induced spiral.

He told Tom about it, and Tom suggested he write it up to share with all of you.  I have to say, for a guy who never liked reading or writing for fun, he did a pretty good job.  Be sure to try this at home, kids.

Cheers!

The Older Brother

=======================================

An odd thing happened for the first time in a long time:

… Leftover pizza!

Part of this is because I rarely eat pizza, but mostly because it is incredibly filling (and healthy), so I highly recommend trying it even if you aren’t suffering from the new obesity disease… I hear that’s going around.

To give credit where it’s due, I am basing this recipe on one I found at cookyscreations.blogspot.com.  A friend and I then made a couple modifications. Go ahead and buy a few bags of mozzarella — you will be making more of this very soon.

The Crust:

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour
2 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic salt
Parchment paper and cookie sheet

Instructions:

-put  mozzarella & cream cheese in a medium size  microwaveable bowl

After making some keto recipes, I found it best to cube up the cream cheese before melting with other cheeses

-Microwave for 1 min, stir and then another 30 sec, stir (very hot!)

-Stir in egg &  almond flour

-Wet hands and spread “dough” thin on parchment paper. It should spread evenly with dough-like consistency (if “stringy” then your cheese has hardened too much—just put it back in the microwave for maybe another 20 seconds)

-Dock (poke rows of holes) with a fork to avoid bubbling

-Sprinkle with garlic salt

-Put in 425 degree oven

-After about 8 minutes, check it and poke holes where any large bubbles may be.

-continue cooking for a total 12-14 min, or until slightly brown on top.

It should look like this:

Here is what I do for the toppings:

[Keep in mind that the toppings only cook long enough for the cheese to melt. Therefore, any meats you add need to be fully cooked.]

Before you begin making your crust, place the sausage on medium-low heat in a cast iron pan. I prefer ground Salciccia sausage—it is similar to Italian sausage. Do not stir too much or you will end up with taco meat consistency. After a few minutes you may need to use a baster to get excess water/grease out, but not too much. You want fully cooked, dime-sized sausages.

Put the sausage in a separate bowl, keeping the grease to sauté your veggies in!

Add a thin layer of pizza sauce, your desired amount of meats, veggies, cheese, and then sprinkle on oregano and basil. I prefer a lot of mozzarella and a handful of cheddar.

This is a double batch which filled up a cookie sheet and five hungry adults. (I would normally space the sausage better, but I was rushing making three at once.)

Although higher in carbs, due to the extra sauce, my next attempt will be my “Achilles heel”: Chicago style (deep dish) pizza.

Hope you enjoy it.  In the meantime…

– The Older Brother’s Oldest Son

362 Responses to “Weekend Bonus: The Older Brother’s Oldest Son’s Faux Carb Pizza”
  1. Cindi says:

I just made this and I love it. I have missed pizza so much. LOL Thank you for sharing.

2. Sheila says:

I haven’t used this for pizza yet, but made it today for a low-carb focaccia bread to go with berry/nut/chicken green summer salads. So easy and quick to make! Made it exactly as recipe listed. Then, after it baked, I brushed it lightly with olive oil, sprinkled with five-cheese Italian blend shredded cheese and some Italian seasoning, and added very thinly sliced tomato and red onion. Broiled just enough to soften tomato and onion and melt the cheese. The consistency was wonderful, and it tasted absolutely delicious!

Can’t thank you enough for the recipe! Love to have bread I can eat without high-carb/diabetic repercussions!

With kindest regards,
    Sheila

3. Maranda says:

Can I even begin to tell you how life changing this is? Hubby and I both scarfed down a few pieces of Barbecue Chicken Pizza (with homemade sugar free barbecue sauce) for lunch yesterday and were full for, pretty much, the rest of the day. I can already think of at least 10 more applications for this dough. I recall giggling uncontrollably for at least three minutes when I picked the first piece up and it held beautifully. There may have been dancing.

4. Dan says:

Is there an approximate nutritional information listing for the crust anywhere (for tracking my macros)?

• Tom Naughton says:

You’d have to add up your ingredients and go from there.

• Cheryl says:

If you go to My Fitness Pal create an account, go to recipes, and you can build your own recipe and based on the ingredients it will calculate your macros. I’m sure there are other sites that do this.

5. Liz says:

July 10.
    Thank you thank you! I just made this it is awesome. With my own pizza sauce of crushed tomato lots of garlic, oregano and Splenda cooked down until very thick, the total carbs per slice is less than two in a nine piece cut.

This is a keeper.

6. Dana says:

This is the most amazing pizza crust. Doing the LC cauliflower pizza crust is way too much work for me, so I’ve never tried it. I love Fathead pizza!!!

7. Hannah says:

Has anyone tried this with coconut flour instead of almond? Do you think I would get similar results?

• Angela says:

Hannah, I was wondering the same thing. My daughter has a tree nut allergy and I would rather not use almond flour if she couldnt have any pizza.

• Deuce says:

Coconut Flour absorbs a lot more liquid than almond flour. Whenever I cook with it, I have to add more liquid. For this recipe you may have to add an extra egg.

• Rob says:

I made this last night with coconut flour, used two extra eggs, I would go as far as at least four or five eggs. It was good, but very dry and hard to mix up.

• caitlin says:

You can also substitute it with crushed pork rinds! I’ve seen people on Reddit do this to get the carb count lower.

• RF says:

There’s a recipe for a Low Carb Keto Stromboli at the Lowcarb blog “All Day i Dream About Food” that uses a similar base but goes with 1.25 cups of cheese, 1/4 cup of butter, 2 tablespoons of coconut flour, and 1/4 cup of crushed pork rinds. Her recipe does not call for cream cheese.

I’ve made both, and enjoy both, but haven’t tried swapping one for the other. I would suggest lowering the amount of coconut flour used though, because as Deuce points out, coconut flour is a thirsty flour.

You might do all right to just lower the flour to 2 tablespoons of coconut, add the butter and cream cheese, and skip the pork rinds.

8. Valorie says:

Absolutely love this, I think I did mine a little to thin, and I used almond flour/ meal. Would that make a difference. I couldn’t find almond flour plain? Anyway I love it, will be trying other combinations! Thank you, I was having a pizza craze and after 2 pices, it hit the spot, and made me full!!!! Ty again!!!

9. Mayra Lopez says:

It was delicious, I was skeptical at first but it turned out great, my family loved it. All I did differently was the garlic + salt (because I didn’t have any), instead, I used Italian herb seasoning which includes rosemary, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, onion, sea salt, tomato and parsley. I would do it again. Thanks!

• Mayra Lopez says:

By the way, do you know approximately how many carbs per slice?

• Tom Naughton says:

You’d have add up your own ingredients and divide by the number of slices.

• Wendy says:

I put this recipe in My Fitness Pal…Just the recipe for the crust..And used it for 8 servings…75 Cal…4G Fat…2G Carbs (YAY!)
          and 9G Protein…Hope this helps!

• Mayra Lopez says:

Sounds great, Thanks!

• Judi Gott says:

I divide my dough into 3 balls, bake one and save the other two in the fridge. My pizza generally comes out to 9 net carbs. it’s the tomato sauce and pico de gallo, i guess. Plus there is some in the crust. I will eat this every day, i love it so much!

10. Jayne Lein says:

Hi, Don’t you have to put the pizza back in the oven once you have put the toppings on?

11. Barbarainnc says:

I have a 15 inch pizza pan, and would like a thin crust.
    Will one recipe of the dough fill the pan or do I need to double the recipe?
    Ready to try out the recipe. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

12. Dee Dee says:

My entry into myfitnesspal show the total pizza as 59 carbs. Using hamburger, sharp, mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce (no veggies).

Almond Flour – Almond Flour, 1 cup – 24 carbs
    Meat – Hamburger, 6 oz – 0 carbs
    Kraft – Shredded Mozarella Cheese, 4 ounce 4 carbs
    Kraft cheese – Sharp Cheddar, 2 oz. 2 carbs
    Cream cheese – Plain, 2 tbsp 101 2 carbs
    Barilla – Sauce – Tomato & Basil, 1 cup 28 carbs

• Jessica says:

Is this blanched almond flour? I accidentally bought almond flour /meal and it says its unblanched ugh

• Tom Naughton says:

I don’t recall if we used blanched or not.

• Sissy says:

It also helps to use supper fine almond flour

• Sue says:

I made this twice. The first time i used a very fine ground almond flour you can buy from RED MILL. It was excellent! The 2nd time i used a more coursely ground almond flour. This was not as good. It doesnt look taste or feel like a true pizza crust. Use a very powdered almond flour. If you cant find one then use the course stuff but grind it up to a fine powder in a food processor. This crust is sooo good im going to make bread sticks and even slices for sandwiches. It can be put into molds to make a bun-like bread for meatball hoagies! Season it with italian spices before baking it! Wonderful!

13. Dee Dee says:

Forgot to mention I made this lastnight and it was simply delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Simone says:

Just made this pizza here in the UK… It has satisfied our cravings big time but not sure we like the flavour of parchment paper underneath (it totally stuck to it and we are now desperately peeling it away so we can eat it but by bit!!). Any advice? Should we have oiled it first? Should we have used silicon sheets? Thank you Mr Fathead loving your film and website! The Happy Banter

• The Older Brother says:

Never had that happen. Ordinarily the parchment wouldn’t impart any flavor. My only guess is maybe it didn’t cook long enough(?). I don’t see anything wrong with trying silicone sheets. Not sure about the oil, but it’s a pretty low cost/risk experiment to try.

The Older Brother

• Tom Naughton says:

We didn’t oil the pan. We cooked the crust on top of the parchment paper. Slid right off. Maybe you need a different paper?

• Dee Dee says:

No problem with the parchment paper on my end either; slide right off and could not taste or tell we used it. Kids are asking for me to cook it a 3rd night.

15. Marrilee says:

If they used waxed paper and not just parchment paper…it will stick badly. I learned this while making cheese crackers.

16. Brittney says:

What’s the best method to reheat the leftovers?

17. Debbie Roop says:

Could this dough be frozen?

18. Debi G says:

made this last week. came out brilliantly. couldn’t melt the cheese past stringy so threw it all in the blender. used 2 x eggs. don’t ask me why but it still worked. have pics but don’t know how to send them. just making another one now.xx

19. Helen R says:

We don’t have a microwave. Has anyone tried doing the first stage on the stove top with good results?

• Shannon Hays says:

Yes! I think it works even better than the microwave because you can nuance the heat and consistency easily. Use something non-stick though!

20. Rocky says:

TIP: I buy a one pound chunk of whole milk mozzarrella and grate it fresh. I once used store bought pre-shredded mozzarrella and it would not melt because it was coated with some kind of flour (potato?) to prevent sticking/clumping. Huge difference.

21. Kay says:

Great recipe. My favourite combination of toppings has been tomato sauce, thinly sliced onions, olives, roasted red peppers and parmesan cheese.

22. Linda says:

I made this last night and put the crust together with with 1/2 c of Almond flour and 1/4 c of coconut flour which gave it a more bread like consistency.

23. Fab says:

Hi,
    A lot of French people search for LCHF recipes because it’s not very developped here but the tsp and cups are just “the devil” for us…could you translate it in grams ? Please ? Thanks a lot :) And Keep on the good recipes…

24. Jan says:

just tried this and loved it!! I saw someone mentioned the dough stuck to parchment paper. It stuck to mine too. I put it in the fridge for a while after I rolled it out and it peeled right off

25. Marlene says:

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! This crust is fantastic. Even my carb lovers are liking it. Made it exactly to the recipe specifications and had no issues. It’s been a long time since I have had pizza. Yum! Missed it!

26. Gwen says:

I said forget parchment paper.
    I have a round pizza pan that I sprayed with oil and spread the pizza dough on.
    It came out perfect.
    Thanks
    GDF

27. Lurene says:

My friend gave me your website. Trying this for Christmas Eva party.

28. Maureen says:

Do you add the eggs directly into the hot cheese mixture or do you let it cool down a little?

• Tom Naughton says:

Been so long since I made it, I don’t remember.

• Jenna says:

I mixed the egg into the almond flour, and then added that mixture to the hot, melted cheeses – mixed beautifully!

My last batch i baked a few minutes less and used it like a homemade soft pita for gyros – YUM.

29. Laura says:

I bought almond flour/meal. I noticed some of the comments talk about the flour not having meal in it. Did I buy the wrong thing? Or are they one in the same?

30. Talena says:

I found this a while back and have used it several times to make pizza (which I love). I recently had a “hankering” for a calzone and this recipe came to my mind. So I decided to try it… I cooked it longer on a lower temp (350) and put the ingredients in before baking at all… with some slits on top – I think I am in heaven for this. I am now using it to make my own hot pockets that is GF and LC. Thank you!!!

31. Chris says:

My cooking abilities are lacking to say the least which makes being on a low carb diet even more challenging. But this is a major breakthrough for me… turned out great on first try! Amazing how good (and simple) this recipe is. Thank you!!!!

32. DeAnne says:

Can you use non stick foil instead of parchment paper?

• Tom Naughton says:

No idea. You’d have to try and see what happens.

• Amanda says:

Unless you want it to stick like crazy, no. If you want to skip the parchment, I’d say spray some oil onto a pan and then maybe slide it out onto a paper towel to soak up some of the grease when it’s done. Cheese sticks to foil like nobody’s business

33. Inari says:

Hi! Any suggestions to make this more low-calorie? I halved the recipe portions and it still came out to about 950 calories with only low carb pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella, and pepperoni slices on top. That’s nearly all my calories for the day!

34. Pam says:

Will the cooked crust keep in the fridge for a few days? Believe it or not, I’m the only pizza eater in the house.