Greetings, fellow Fat Heads.

A few weeks ago, The Oldest Son found a great low-carb pizza recipe.  We already had a couple of recipes, but after this one, I don’t think we’ll be going back.  The other ones we had kept were really good, but we had to eat them with utensils.  With this one, the only way you know you aren’t holding a “real” slice of pizza in your hand is that, as mentioned in his write-up, you get full after a few slices, instead of going into that “I’m stuffed — give me another!” gluten-induced spiral.

He told Tom about it, and Tom suggested he write it up to share with all of you.  I have to say, for a guy who never liked reading or writing for fun, he did a pretty good job.  Be sure to try this at home, kids.

Cheers!

The Older Brother

=======================================

An odd thing happened for the first time in a long time:

… Leftover pizza!

Part of this is because I rarely eat pizza, but mostly because it is incredibly filling (and healthy), so I highly recommend trying it even if you aren’t suffering from the new obesity disease… I hear that’s going around.

To give credit where it’s due, I am basing this recipe on one I found at cookyscreations.blogspot.com.  A friend and I then made a couple modifications. Go ahead and buy a few bags of mozzarella — you will be making more of this very soon.

The Crust:

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour
2 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic salt
Parchment paper and cookie sheet

Instructions:

-put  mozzarella & cream cheese in a medium size  microwaveable bowl

After making some keto recipes, I found it best to cube up the cream cheese before melting with other cheeses

-Microwave for 1 min, stir and then another 30 sec, stir (very hot!)

-Stir in egg &  almond flour

-Wet hands and spread “dough” thin on parchment paper. It should spread evenly with dough-like consistency (if “stringy” then your cheese has hardened too much—just put it back in the microwave for maybe another 20 seconds)

-Dock (poke rows of holes) with a fork to avoid bubbling

-Sprinkle with garlic salt

-Put in 425 degree oven

-After about 8 minutes, check it and poke holes where any large bubbles may be.

-continue cooking for a total 12-14 min, or until slightly brown on top.

It should look like this:

Here is what I do for the toppings:

[Keep in mind that the toppings only cook long enough for the cheese to melt. Therefore, any meats you add need to be fully cooked.]

Before you begin making your crust, place the sausage on medium-low heat in a cast iron pan. I prefer ground Salciccia sausage—it is similar to Italian sausage. Do not stir too much or you will end up with taco meat consistency. After a few minutes you may need to use a baster to get excess water/grease out, but not too much. You want fully cooked, dime-sized sausages.

Put the sausage in a separate bowl, keeping the grease to sauté your veggies in!

Add a thin layer of pizza sauce, your desired amount of meats, veggies, cheese, and then sprinkle on oregano and basil. I prefer a lot of mozzarella and a handful of cheddar.

This is a double batch which filled up a cookie sheet and five hungry adults. (I would normally space the sausage better, but I was rushing making three at once.)

Although higher in carbs, due to the extra sauce, my next attempt will be my “Achilles heel”: Chicago style (deep dish) pizza.

Hope you enjoy it.  In the meantime…

– The Older Brother’s Oldest Son

310 Responses to “Weekend Bonus: The Older Brother’s Oldest Son’s Faux Carb Pizza”
  1. Cindi says:

I just made this and I love it. I have missed pizza so much. LOL Thank you for sharing.

2. Sheila says:

I haven’t used this for pizza yet, but made it today for a low-carb focaccia bread to go with berry/nut/chicken green summer salads. So easy and quick to make! Made it exactly as recipe listed. Then, after it baked, I brushed it lightly with olive oil, sprinkled with five-cheese Italian blend shredded cheese and some Italian seasoning, and added very thinly sliced tomato and red onion. Broiled just enough to soften tomato and onion and melt the cheese. The consistency was wonderful, and it tasted absolutely delicious!

Can’t thank you enough for the recipe! Love to have bread I can eat without high-carb/diabetic repercussions!

With kindest regards,
    Sheila

3. Maranda says:

Can I even begin to tell you how life changing this is? Hubby and I both scarfed down a few pieces of Barbecue Chicken Pizza (with homemade sugar free barbecue sauce) for lunch yesterday and were full for, pretty much, the rest of the day. I can already think of at least 10 more applications for this dough. I recall giggling uncontrollably for at least three minutes when I picked the first piece up and it held beautifully. There may have been dancing.

4. Dan says:

Is there an approximate nutritional information listing for the crust anywhere (for tracking my macros)?

5. Liz says:

July 10.
    Thank you thank you! I just made this it is awesome. With my own pizza sauce of crushed tomato lots of garlic, oregano and Splenda cooked down until very thick, the total carbs per slice is less than two in a nine piece cut.

This is a keeper.

6. Dana says:

This is the most amazing pizza crust. Doing the LC cauliflower pizza crust is way too much work for me, so I’ve never tried it. I love Fathead pizza!!!

7. Hannah says:

Has anyone tried this with coconut flour instead of almond? Do you think I would get similar results?

• Angela says:

Hannah, I was wondering the same thing. My daughter has a tree nut allergy and I would rather not use almond flour if she couldnt have any pizza.

• Deuce says:

Coconut Flour absorbs a lot more liquid than almond flour. Whenever I cook with it, I have to add more liquid. For this recipe you may have to add an extra egg.

• Rob says:

I made this last night with coconut flour, used two extra eggs, I would go as far as at least four or five eggs. It was good, but very dry and hard to mix up.

8. Valorie says:

Absolutely love this, I think I did mine a little to thin, and I used almond flour/ meal. Would that make a difference. I couldn’t find almond flour plain? Anyway I love it, will be trying other combinations! Thank you, I was having a pizza craze and after 2 pices, it hit the spot, and made me full!!!! Ty again!!!

9. Mayra Lopez says:

It was delicious, I was skeptical at first but it turned out great, my family loved it. All I did differently was the garlic + salt (because I didn’t have any), instead, I used Italian herb seasoning which includes rosemary, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, onion, sea salt, tomato and parsley. I would do it again. Thanks!

10. Jayne Lein says:

Hi, Don’t you have to put the pizza back in the oven once you have put the toppings on?