Greetings, fellow Fat Heads.

A few weeks ago, The Oldest Son found a great low-carb pizza recipe.  We already had a couple of recipes, but after this one, I don’t think we’ll be going back.  The other ones we had kept were really good, but we had to eat them with utensils.  With this one, the only way you know you aren’t holding a “real” slice of pizza in your hand is that, as mentioned in his write-up, you get full after a few slices, instead of going into that “I’m stuffed — give me another!” gluten-induced spiral.

He told Tom about it, and Tom suggested he write it up to share with all of you.  I have to say, for a guy who never liked reading or writing for fun, he did a pretty good job.  Be sure to try this at home, kids.

Cheers!

The Older Brother

=======================================

An odd thing happened for the first time in a long time:

… Leftover pizza!

Part of this is because I rarely eat pizza, but mostly because it is incredibly filling (and healthy), so I highly recommend trying it even if you aren’t suffering from the new obesity disease… I hear that’s going around.

To give credit where it’s due, I am basing this recipe on one I found at cookyscreations.blogspot.com.  A friend and I then made a couple modifications. Go ahead and buy a few bags of mozzarella — you will be making more of this very soon.

The Crust:

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour
2 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic salt
Parchment paper and cookie sheet

Instructions:

-put  mozzarella & cream cheese in a medium size  microwaveable bowl

After making some keto recipes, I found it best to cube up the cream cheese before melting with other cheeses

-Microwave for 1 min, stir and then another 30 sec, stir (very hot!)

-Stir in egg &  almond flour

-Wet hands and spread “dough” thin on parchment paper. It should spread evenly with dough-like consistency (if “stringy” then your cheese has hardened too much—just put it back in the microwave for maybe another 20 seconds)

-Dock (poke rows of holes) with a fork to avoid bubbling

-Sprinkle with garlic salt

-Put in 425 degree oven

-After about 8 minutes, check it and poke holes where any large bubbles may be.

-continue cooking for a total 12-14 min, or until slightly brown on top.

It should look like this:

Here is what I do for the toppings:

[Keep in mind that the toppings only cook long enough for the cheese to melt. Therefore, any meats you add need to be fully cooked.]

Before you begin making your crust, place the sausage on medium-low heat in a cast iron pan. I prefer ground Salciccia sausage—it is similar to Italian sausage. Do not stir too much or you will end up with taco meat consistency. After a few minutes you may need to use a baster to get excess water/grease out, but not too much. You want fully cooked, dime-sized sausages.

Put the sausage in a separate bowl, keeping the grease to sauté your veggies in!

Add a thin layer of pizza sauce, your desired amount of meats, veggies, cheese, and then sprinkle on oregano and basil. I prefer a lot of mozzarella and a handful of cheddar.

This is a double batch which filled up a cookie sheet and five hungry adults. (I would normally space the sausage better, but I was rushing making three at once.)

Although higher in carbs, due to the extra sauce, my next attempt will be my “Achilles heel”: Chicago style (deep dish) pizza.

Hope you enjoy it.  In the meantime…

– The Older Brother’s Oldest Son

234 Responses to “Weekend Bonus: The Older Brother’s Oldest Son’s Faux Carb Pizza”
  1. Susan says:

There’s several good pizza crust recipes out there for LC, but the grandeur of this is that you can actually PICK IT UP! :D :D
    To be like pizza it has to act like pizza, ie, you must be able to pick it up and bite it :D

2. Paul Bregman says:

You’re a genius, It came out crispy and crunchy, no hint of almonds at all. Was I supposed to mix the egg and almond flour together before adding them to the cheese mixture? It came out great, but I just wanted to check. Thanks!

3. Jay says:

What’s the carb count? And what’s a good low carb sauce to use?

4. dawn alva says:

I do not have a microwave, can you heat the mozzarella and the cream cheese on the stove top?

5. Lynette says:

i do not have a microwave, any suggestion on melting the cheese and cream cheese, would stove top be ok?

6. Charlene says:

Can you freeze the base after cooking, looking for quick breakfast pizza?

7. diana says:

This is good. Really good. And as fabulous as it is, I could only eat one piece (lots of veggie toppings) because it is so filling. I wanted to be able to eat more, though because it is, did I say it before? Really. Good.

8. Janele Coyle says:

I was very “happily” surprised. I have tried other grain free pizza recipes but did not like them,…this was “GREAT”. I followed your recipe with only I minor addition, after I cooked the crust the 1st time and before I put on the sauce I put a layer of mozz. cheese down, then added the sauce and toppings and my crust did not get soggy at all. Thank you so much for sharing, and for anyone taking a look at this recipe, don’t hesitate to try this, you’ll be glad you did.

9. Mary Loper says:

I love this recipe. We’ve had it twice now. It’s great to be able to feel like I am “indulging” while still staying low carb. My non-dieting husband likes it, too! Thanks so much for sharing.

10. Beth says:

I’m keen to try this. My coeliac son would appreciate it too, I’m sure. Any chance of adding the ability to generate a printer-friendly version?

11. Lora says:

I absolutely love this recipe! Also, If you do not have a microwave, just don’t even worry about heating it up! JUST PUT IT ALL IN THE MIXER AND THEN MIX IT FOR A FEW MINUTES then spread it on the parchment and bake! Turns out great every time :)

12. You are the best, I bow before you, we are not worthy, we are not worthy..

I do love a pizza, it is a major stumbling block when you live 20 yards away from the best takaway pizza shop in the city.. I do miss pizza..

But now I have a low card one that although not quite the same it is bloody close enough, I love it, a little slice of magic.

Not only that but with a normal pizza I can quite happily munch a 12″ pizza and a portion of onion rings to wash it down with, but the fathead pizza was maybe 10″ and I could not even manage half of one, I thought I was going to burst! it lasted me 30 hours!!!

Just made the crust again today in squares and cut them up into smaller slices, I had a butter fried bacon and egg sandwich with it, again I am stuffed.

Its the little things that make all the difference, soo nice to have a sandwich in my hands again LOL

Thanks again, your a star..

13. Heather says:

Can you use coconut flour instead of almond?

14. Linda says:

Holy Cow!!!! I will never have regular pizza crust again!!! It was fabulous!! Had to hide the leftovers to have the next day from everyone in the house! hahaha.
    Love this recipe!!!!

15. Jess says:

This was SO very good!!! One question, could you use a different cheese for the crust or does it have to be mozzarella?