Greetings, fellow Fat Heads.

A few weeks ago, The Oldest Son found a great low-carb pizza recipe.  We already had a couple of recipes, but after this one, I don’t think we’ll be going back.  The other ones we had kept were really good, but we had to eat them with utensils.  With this one, the only way you know you aren’t holding a “real” slice of pizza in your hand is that, as mentioned in his write-up, you get full after a few slices, instead of going into that “I’m stuffed — give me another!” gluten-induced spiral.

He told Tom about it, and Tom suggested he write it up to share with all of you.  I have to say, for a guy who never liked reading or writing for fun, he did a pretty good job.  Be sure to try this at home, kids.

Cheers!

The Older Brother

=======================================

An odd thing happened for the first time in a long time:

… Leftover pizza!

Part of this is because I rarely eat pizza, but mostly because it is incredibly filling (and healthy), so I highly recommend trying it even if you aren’t suffering from the new obesity disease… I hear that’s going around.

To give credit where it’s due, I am basing this recipe on one I found at cookyscreations.blogspot.com.  A friend and I then made a couple modifications. Go ahead and buy a few bags of mozzarella — you will be making more of this very soon.

The Crust:

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour
2 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic salt
Parchment paper and cookie sheet

Instructions:

-put  mozzarella & cream cheese in a medium size  microwaveable bowl

After making some keto recipes, I found it best to cube up the cream cheese before melting with other cheeses

-Microwave for 1 min, stir and then another 30 sec, stir (very hot!)

-Stir in egg &  almond flour

-Wet hands and spread “dough” thin on parchment paper. It should spread evenly with dough-like consistency (if “stringy” then your cheese has hardened too much—just put it back in the microwave for maybe another 20 seconds)

-Dock (poke rows of holes) with a fork to avoid bubbling

-Sprinkle with garlic salt

-Put in 425 degree oven

-After about 8 minutes, check it and poke holes where any large bubbles may be.

-continue cooking for a total 12-14 min, or until slightly brown on top.

It should look like this:

Here is what I do for the toppings:

[Keep in mind that the toppings only cook long enough for the cheese to melt. Therefore, any meats you add need to be fully cooked.]

Before you begin making your crust, place the sausage on medium-low heat in a cast iron pan. I prefer ground Salciccia sausage—it is similar to Italian sausage. Do not stir too much or you will end up with taco meat consistency. After a few minutes you may need to use a baster to get excess water/grease out, but not too much. You want fully cooked, dime-sized sausages.

Put the sausage in a separate bowl, keeping the grease to sauté your veggies in!

Add a thin layer of pizza sauce, your desired amount of meats, veggies, cheese, and then sprinkle on oregano and basil. I prefer a lot of mozzarella and a handful of cheddar.

This is a double batch which filled up a cookie sheet and five hungry adults. (I would normally space the sausage better, but I was rushing making three at once.)

Although higher in carbs, due to the extra sauce, my next attempt will be my “Achilles heel”: Chicago style (deep dish) pizza.

Hope you enjoy it.  In the meantime…

— The Older Brother’s Oldest Son

517 Responses to “Weekend Bonus: The Older Brother’s Oldest Son’s Faux Carb Pizza”
  1. John says:

Can be made real thin, liked it better that way

2. John says:

Oh yeah, used 2 pieces of parchment, one for the top and used small rolling pin

3. Trish says:

Hi I just had my first attempt at fat head crust. It failed miserably! I can’t use almond flour bc of allergies so I subbed coconut flour. It would not blend in. I tried reheating to mix no luck. Can you suggest how much coconut flour or another sub. Thanks Trish

• Tom Naughton says:

I haven’t tried it, but you could start by substituting coconut flour at the same proportions.

• Keith says:

I have substituted coconut flour. Just blend it in before you microwave. Put all the ingredients except the egg and blend together with your fingers. Then microwave and blend in the egg. Worked great for me. I also added a pinch of oregano to the mix because I’m not crazy about the taste of coconut flour.

• Tammy says:

I found a flour called Paleo Flour at Walmart. I cannot have almond flour either. It worked just find and made a delicious crust

• Anne says:

I used 1/4 c coconut flour for every 3/4 c almond four.
      Also I used coconut spray oil on parchment paper when baking. The cheese causes it to stick to pans!

4. Erica Champion says:

Does this re-heat well? What is the best way to heat leftovers?

5. Shannon says:

What pizza sauce do you use?

6. cherylene says:

do you have macros for the crust?

7. Carol says:

I just wanted to tell you that I tried this recipe today for the 1st time and OHMYGOODNESS what a game changer!!! I will NEVER miss pizza again with this!!! I added a pinch of salt, oregano and garlic powder to the dough, then a bit of more garlic powder on top of the crust before baking. AMAZINGLY GOOD!! Thanks!!!

8. Chelsea says:

How can I do this without a microwave? Can it be done on the stovetop?

• Tom Naughton says:

Never tried it.

• Frodus says:

I’m about to try it without a microwave this weekend hopefully.
      I imagine I can just heat it real low in the toaster oven or stove top.
      I think the stove top seems like the best option since you can stir it while heating.

• Chrissie says:

I just melted it in a double broiler on the stove (boil water in one larger pot and put a smaller pot inside that one so the cheese doesn’t burn).

• Frodus says:

Stove top worked good for me.
      I started heating the cheese and cream cheese in a stainless pan on medium heat.
      After it started melting I turned the heat down to 2-3. I stirred it often and made it sure it melted.
      Turned the stove off. Then put in the egg and almond flour and seasonings in. Stirred it up good and put it on parchment.

It was great! A bit dry, but I made them thin and over cooked it in the oven. Still tastes great! I’m going to keep trying and tweaking this recipe until it’s perfect for me.

9. Jen says:

I cant wait to try this! I’m hoping I can substitute cream cheese for creamy goat cheese.

10. SHELLY Perry says:

Just found your recipe can’t wait to try it. Been missing pizza but not any more.!! Thanks.

11. Steph Walp says:

What did I do wrong ? I doubled the recipe but it hardly made enough for 3 adults 😣

12. Ruta Prescott says:

Halleujah! Finished my first 30 days of Keto and discovered this fantastic recipe! It came out great! I cooked up some pepparoni, mushrooms, and sundried tomato pieces for my topping! Great texture, flavor and most importantly, tastes simply mah-veluous! This will be a once a week treat!

13. Lesley says:

Has anyone ever fried the crust after baking it . Like you do with cut pita bread.

14. E says:

How many carbs???

Need a nutrition label for this.

Please advise

15. Lois says:

I’ve looked but I’m not seeing how many servings this makes.
    Thanks.

16. Emily says:

I am also allergic to tree nuts. I use sunflower seed flower which acts a lot like almond flower. When you season the crust you can not taste the sunflower seed taste….Yummm