Greetings, fellow Fat Heads.

A few weeks ago, The Oldest Son found a great low-carb pizza recipe.  We already had a couple of recipes, but after this one, I don’t think we’ll be going back.  The other ones we had kept were really good, but we had to eat them with utensils.  With this one, the only way you know you aren’t holding a “real” slice of pizza in your hand is that, as mentioned in his write-up, you get full after a few slices, instead of going into that “I’m stuffed — give me another!” gluten-induced spiral.

He told Tom about it, and Tom suggested he write it up to share with all of you.  I have to say, for a guy who never liked reading or writing for fun, he did a pretty good job.  Be sure to try this at home, kids.

Cheers!

The Older Brother

=======================================

An odd thing happened for the first time in a long time:

… Leftover pizza!

Part of this is because I rarely eat pizza, but mostly because it is incredibly filling (and healthy), so I highly recommend trying it even if you aren’t suffering from the new obesity disease… I hear that’s going around.

To give credit where it’s due, I am basing this recipe on one I found at cookyscreations.blogspot.com.  A friend and I then made a couple modifications. Go ahead and buy a few bags of mozzarella — you will be making more of this very soon.

The Crust:

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour
2 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic salt
Parchment paper and cookie sheet

Instructions:

-put  mozzarella & cream cheese in a medium size  microwaveable bowl

After making some keto recipes, I found it best to cube up the cream cheese before melting with other cheeses

-Microwave for 1 min, stir and then another 30 sec, stir (very hot!)

-Stir in egg &  almond flour

-Wet hands and spread “dough” thin on parchment paper. It should spread evenly with dough-like consistency (if “stringy” then your cheese has hardened too much—just put it back in the microwave for maybe another 20 seconds)

-Dock (poke rows of holes) with a fork to avoid bubbling

-Sprinkle with garlic salt

-Put in 425 degree oven

-After about 8 minutes, check it and poke holes where any large bubbles may be.

-continue cooking for a total 12-14 min, or until slightly brown on top.

It should look like this:

Here is what I do for the toppings:

[Keep in mind that the toppings only cook long enough for the cheese to melt. Therefore, any meats you add need to be fully cooked.]

Before you begin making your crust, place the sausage on medium-low heat in a cast iron pan. I prefer ground Salciccia sausage—it is similar to Italian sausage. Do not stir too much or you will end up with taco meat consistency. After a few minutes you may need to use a baster to get excess water/grease out, but not too much. You want fully cooked, dime-sized sausages.

Put the sausage in a separate bowl, keeping the grease to sauté your veggies in!

Add a thin layer of pizza sauce, your desired amount of meats, veggies, cheese, and then sprinkle on oregano and basil. I prefer a lot of mozzarella and a handful of cheddar.

This is a double batch which filled up a cookie sheet and five hungry adults. (I would normally space the sausage better, but I was rushing making three at once.)

Although higher in carbs, due to the extra sauce, my next attempt will be my “Achilles heel”: Chicago style (deep dish) pizza.

Hope you enjoy it.  In the meantime…

– The Older Brother’s Oldest Son

276 Responses to “Weekend Bonus: The Older Brother’s Oldest Son’s Faux Carb Pizza”
  1. Susan says:

There’s several good pizza crust recipes out there for LC, but the grandeur of this is that you can actually PICK IT UP! :D :D
    To be like pizza it has to act like pizza, ie, you must be able to pick it up and bite it :D

2. Paul Bregman says:

You’re a genius, It came out crispy and crunchy, no hint of almonds at all. Was I supposed to mix the egg and almond flour together before adding them to the cheese mixture? It came out great, but I just wanted to check. Thanks!

3. Jay says:

What’s the carb count? And what’s a good low carb sauce to use?

4. dawn alva says:

I do not have a microwave, can you heat the mozzarella and the cream cheese on the stove top?

5. Lynette says:

i do not have a microwave, any suggestion on melting the cheese and cream cheese, would stove top be ok?

6. Charlene says:

Can you freeze the base after cooking, looking for quick breakfast pizza?

7. diana says:

This is good. Really good. And as fabulous as it is, I could only eat one piece (lots of veggie toppings) because it is so filling. I wanted to be able to eat more, though because it is, did I say it before? Really. Good.

8. Janele Coyle says:

I was very “happily” surprised. I have tried other grain free pizza recipes but did not like them,…this was “GREAT”. I followed your recipe with only I minor addition, after I cooked the crust the 1st time and before I put on the sauce I put a layer of mozz. cheese down, then added the sauce and toppings and my crust did not get soggy at all. Thank you so much for sharing, and for anyone taking a look at this recipe, don’t hesitate to try this, you’ll be glad you did.

9. Mary Loper says:

I love this recipe. We’ve had it twice now. It’s great to be able to feel like I am “indulging” while still staying low carb. My non-dieting husband likes it, too! Thanks so much for sharing.

10. Beth says:

I’m keen to try this. My coeliac son would appreciate it too, I’m sure. Any chance of adding the ability to generate a printer-friendly version?

11. Lora says:

I absolutely love this recipe! Also, If you do not have a microwave, just don’t even worry about heating it up! JUST PUT IT ALL IN THE MIXER AND THEN MIX IT FOR A FEW MINUTES then spread it on the parchment and bake! Turns out great every time :)

12. You are the best, I bow before you, we are not worthy, we are not worthy..

I do love a pizza, it is a major stumbling block when you live 20 yards away from the best takaway pizza shop in the city.. I do miss pizza..

But now I have a low card one that although not quite the same it is bloody close enough, I love it, a little slice of magic.

Not only that but with a normal pizza I can quite happily munch a 12″ pizza and a portion of onion rings to wash it down with, but the fathead pizza was maybe 10″ and I could not even manage half of one, I thought I was going to burst! it lasted me 30 hours!!!

Just made the crust again today in squares and cut them up into smaller slices, I had a butter fried bacon and egg sandwich with it, again I am stuffed.

Its the little things that make all the difference, soo nice to have a sandwich in my hands again LOL

Thanks again, your a star..

13. Heather says:

Can you use coconut flour instead of almond?

• Tom Naughton says:

It would probably stick together, but the taste would change, of course.

• Jay says:

We tried coconut flour. We then threw it in the trash and did it the right way. So the taste was fine. Slight hint of coconut when eating just the crust so I don’t imagine it would be tasted in the full pizza. It was dry, and by dry, I mean it could be used for absorbing material for an oil spill. I was very much hoping it would work due to the cost difference per pound for coconut vs almond. I didn’t try it again, but I suspect that if some sort of liquid were used, it would potentially work. Also, a fair amount of the flour was not incorporated into the cheese mix so more liquid, less flour may work. Not going to try again though. Good luck. And keep a glass (or gallon) of water nearby for the trial nibble.

14. Linda says:

Holy Cow!!!! I will never have regular pizza crust again!!! It was fabulous!! Had to hide the leftovers to have the next day from everyone in the house! hahaha.
    Love this recipe!!!!

15. Jess says:

This was SO very good!!! One question, could you use a different cheese for the crust or does it have to be mozzarella?

16. Scheria says:

This was surprisingly easy to make. Tastes REALLY good. Thanks for sharing.

17. Debbie says:

Hi,
    What are the total carbs in this recipe?

18. kristy biesen says:

How about a low carb sauce? I haven’t seen any bottled low carb in the store I usually go to. I’d like to make my own and would appreciate a good recipe. I would almost kill for a slice of real pizza right now!

19. So I’m wondering if white or brown rice flour could be used as a substitute for almond flour.

20. Patti says:

What temperature do you hear up the pizza and for how long? please!
    This sounds so good can’t wait to try it!

21. Butterkate says:

I love love love you for sharing this!!! If it weren’t for how filling just one slice was, I wouldn’t have been able to tell that this was low carb! Absolutely divine. My carb count with the homemade low carb sauce came up to this: Per slice (8 slices, counted with toppings): Calories-178.5 cal , Fat – 14.26, Protein – 10.78, Total Carbs – 1.63, Fiber – 0.18, NET CARBS – 1.45. I wanted to eat the whole pizza in one go but was just too full after a slice!

22. Cgarwriter says:

Hi,

Just started Low Carbing. Making my first Fat Head Pizza right now. Was wondering… When do you put the sauce and toppings on? After you take it out at 8 minutes or Part way through the 12 minutes?

Thanks

23. Sabby C says:

Wow! Just made my first FH pizza….so good and yes..astounded how you can hold it firm like a real slice of pizza! I used Buckwheat flour and it worked a treat…thx for sharing the love.

24. Sarah says:

Could you use coconut flour instead of almond flour?

25. Karen says:

The cream cheese in the photo looks like 2 oz rather than 2 Tblsp. Just want to verify the amount. Thanks!

26. Leslee F says:

3/23/15 – just tried the recipe. OMG it is wonderful. Made 10 inch round and could only eat 2 slices out of 8. Even husband liked it. That will even work cooked in a pizza oven. Someone here mentioned cooking crust and use as bread. That is a great idea and will be done next. Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Karen says:

Can I get away with not using parchment paper?

28. JB says:

I totally misread this as 2 LBS of cream cheese. “What kind of healthy recipe is THAT?!?!” but yeah, I’m excited to try!

29. Adam says:

Made this tonight.. Excellent crust.. Plan to add this to the regular rotation!

30. Lauren says:

delicious!!! Better than regular pizza, doesn’t leave you feeling like a ton of bricks! Not greasy or soggy. Wonderful thank u for sharing.

Ps also read it as 2 oz of cream cheese and used 2oz instead of 2 tbs. it came out as a thin crust and only in the oven for 10 min total. Then I topped it w sausage a nd mushrooms and bit of sauce and put it back in for two min. Sooooo freakin good

Thks

31. Missy says:

Wonderful! I made this over the weekend and was amazed that the crust was so easy to make and so incredibly tasty. I loaded the toppings on and my crust was still firm enough to hold in my hand and enjoy one tasty bite at a time. My husband loved it too. He said the crust reminded him of a Cheez-it cracker. Of course, that gave me the idea to make my own cheese crackers with this crust recipe. I can’t wait to try that.

Thanks so much for this recipe. It made this pizza lover very happy!

32. Michelle says:

Best low carb pizza ever! Very satisfying and I didn’t miss the carbs. My husband even ate it, which is saying a lot; he is super picky. Thanks for the recipe.

33. Tami says:

Best ever low carb pizza crust!! My sister and I had so much left over because it was so so filling! My TEN year old nephew even loved it! That’s saying a LOT, 10 year olds are such picky eaters. Can’t thank you enough for the awesome recipe!

34. Clare says:

First time trying this recipe and it came out pretty well. It’s far easier than making a cauliflower crust and the consistency is better too. I think next time I’ll use some spicy sausage but this time used what I had on hand, roasted garlic cloves and pepperoni which were pretty good as well.

35. Sherena says:

This is the best wheat free pizza base ever. Topped it with last nights lovers of chilli con carne, topped with little shredded mozzarella. AB FAB Thankyou so much for sharing, is now in my “favourites” recipe book.

36. JB says:

The king and champion of lchf pizzas… I melted the cream cheese (two ounces), Kerrygold cheese, and some pecorino romano on the stove top for the base and it was excellent. You’ve made one New York native very happy sir; thank you… x

37. Sheila says:

Lots of talk about ounces or tablespoons for the cream cheese. Looked through all responses, and couldn’t find a definitive answer. Seems like people have done it both ways, so I wasn’t sure what to do. Noticed you talked about cubing the cream cheese; even if picture is a doubled recipe, seems like more than four Tbl. Will you please verify the cream cheese unit of measure? BTW, I’ve tried cauliflower crusts, and they were disgusting. I can’t wait to make this recipe; it sounds (from all the comments) that it will be incredibly versatile as much more than just pizza crust!

Sheila

38. Megan says:

Made this tonight. It was very good. Loved being able to hold it like a slice of pizza. And it was very filling. Thanks for sharing.

39. Alen says:

You sir, are a wizard!

I’m a big guy, i workout a lot and have a BIG appetite (i can easily eat two normal 14″ pizzas), made a pizza half as big as yours (exactly half the ingredients described in the recipe), and I am full.

It tasted great, better than every frozen pizza,
    even better than most “real” homemade or restaurant pizzas.

Alen

ps: made it with 2 ounces of cream cheese

40. Angela says:

I gotta tell ya……being a low carber converted to paleo girl (but keepin the cheese) I’ve tried many low carb/paleo-friendly pizza crust recipes…this one has by far surpassed all others! It was amazing, and honestly, I don’t see a reason to ever make a flour crust again…seriously…I like thin crust…ever try to make a super thin crust with flour dough? Unless you are italian, and your name is Luigi it’s just never going to really be thin….this crust was so easy to smooth out, using the parchment paper of course….and my husband was amazed! you can pick it up and it doesn’t even drift…amazing! Thank you my friend….you have improved our diet!

41. Trina says:

Does anybody know the carb count for the dough?

42. Tiffani says:

I’ve been looking at this recipe for months, and I just made it. SOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome!!!! Makes me want to have pizza at least once a week. I guess I didn’t mix/knead my almond flour and cheese very well, but, for the most part, it worked out.

43. Tiffani says:

Oh, and if double the recipe feeds 5 people, was that 2 slices per person? 3? Trying to figure out what to put in My Fitness Pal