Last summer, Chareva and I encouraged the girls to create their own YouTube videos (with lots of help from Mom) and call the series Paleo Kids’ Club. The idea was to have them, as kids, talking to other kids about diet and health. They liked the concept but balked at doing the actual work, so we let it go.  Summer is supposed to fun, after all.

This summer, for whatever reason, they’re considerably more enthusiastic. (I think it had something to do with joining me for a podcast when I sat in for Jimmy Moore. They enjoyed that.) In the interim, Chareva and I decided to call their show Fat Head Kids’ Club, for several reasons:

1. Branding; i.e., a better tie-in with the book when we finish it, since Fat Head will almost certainly be in the name.

2. We’re not strictly paleo — we like our cream and butter. We’re closer to what Mark Sisson calls primal.

3. Some people in the paleo world have become vegan-like zealots, denouncing all that doesn’t fit their particular definition of the word.

4. Some people in the paleo world are also strangely hostile towards low-carbers, insisting that everyone must eat potatoes and other starches to be healthy and anyone who doesn’t is deluded.

In short, I didn’t want to link my girls to the word paleo and invite attacks from any self-appointed High Priests of Pure Paleo. Since I produced Fat Head, a Fat Head Kid is whatever I say it is.

I’m busy with other projects, so my role is mostly limited to serving as technical adviser/script consultant. Chareva and girls have been coming up with episode ideas, and Chareva taught herself how to edit video in Adobe Premiere, sometimes by picking my brain since I’ve been using Premiere for years. She also turned the girls’ downstairs playroom into a makeshift studio.

I don’t know how many episodes they’ll ultimately produce, but I’ll post them when they do. If you look at the top banner of the blog, you’ll see I added a Fat Head Kids’ Club link. After I post their videos on the main blog page, I’ll also post them on that page. That way anyone looking for the videos won’t have to scroll through old blog posts to find them.

Here’s their introductory episode. Enjoy.

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Share/Bookmark
38 Responses to “Fat Head Kids’ Club”
  1. Debbie says:

Your daughters are charming! I see Fat Head Kids becoming a huge hit!

I hope so, thanks.

2. Debbie Hubbs says:

LOVE IT! Great job GIRLS and mom (and dad)! You are naturals! Keep at it! I want to show your videos to my grandchildren! Make LOTS of them.

3. Amy Dungan says:

That is so great! I can’t wait to see more!

4. What a wonderful idea, Tom! I cannot wait for more episodes. I’m already thinking of how I can turn my grandkids on to this! Good job!

Thank you.

5. Ken Row says:

Great work, ladies!

Such a great idea, and it’s something folks can hopefully use to help teach their kids about healthy eating — show them that other kids eat this way, that mom and dad are not just off their rockers.

6. Jim says:

Absolutely awesome! 2 stars are born! (well not just born of course haha) …

7. Merlin says:

Excellent! I’ll be subscribing to Fat Head Kids!

8. Nancy P. says:

Can’t wait to share these with my two boys. We saw another video from long ago starring your girls and “the Guy from CSPI” and my kids watched it over and over. These are sure to be a hit!

I hope so, thanks.

9. J says:

Lol charming and good start..they seem very confident acting in front of a camera..

10. Bill Lee says:

Very cute. I hope Sara & Alana have a blast making these videos.

They’re having fun so far.

11. Sabine says:

What a great idea.
    I hope it will spread.

12. Sheri says:

I’ll have to show this to my boys. Thank them for me!

13. Awesome! I’ll definitely subscribe :)

14. Nowhereman says:

Looks like the girls are having fun. However, in addition to attacks from “purist paleo” and Vegetrollians (let’s face it, no matter how you title their videos, someone from one of those camps is likely to try and ruin everything), I can see see one potential avenue of attack coming from folks who would be asking: “Just a short while ago you denounced a mother for using her kid as a puppet to attack McDonalds, how do we know that you aren’t doing the same with your daughters with these videos?”

Well, there are some rather important differences:

1. We’re not pretending our girls come up with all this stuff themselves.

2. We’re not showing up at some company’s or organization’s meeting and using our girls as weapons to ambush them. (If it’s battle time, I’ll do the attacking.) People who watch their videos chose to do so.

3. In their videos, we’re not demanding that anyone’s freedom be restricted (such as the freedom to advertise or give away toys) in order to achieve our goals.

4. We’re not presuming to protect our inferiors against “tricks” that don’t trick us.

15. Anne says:

Definite star quality. They did a great job and I am looking forward to more episodes.

16. Justin B says:

Smart thinking, disabling comments. Now your daughters wont have the displeasure of accidentally stumbling across some horrible venomous personal attack. I should’ve done that when I started my video show, but I thought I was “being more open” by allowing people to comment. Huge mistake. My will/want to post edutainment videos to Youtube has forever been tainted.

Yeah, unfortunately, the anonymity of cyberspace allows weenies to get away with spewing venom they know would get them punched out in a face-to-face conversation. I’m not going to subject the girls to that.

• Liz says:

As someone who’s dabbling in the entertainment industry, I definitely appreciate parents who protect their kids’ welfare. Disabling comments is very smart. The Internet is just full of bullies and cowards who hide behind anonymity (or at least, distant proximity).

Indeed. I’m not going to expose them to the nutcase brigades at this age.

• I hope that you are able to protect them from the nutcase brigade that Child Protective Services is likely to bring with them.

One of the advantages that the folks who have an interest in keeping us fat, sick, and taking lots of meds have is boatloads of money, and access to governmental force.

Unfortunately, yes. My girls are lean and strong, they’re happy and healthy, they’ve never had a cavity, and Sara is in the gifted program at school. Not that a government agency would take that as evidence that we’re feeding them correctly.

17. ngyoung says:

Like catching lightning in a bottle. Capture what you can when they’re motivated.

18. Robinowitz says:

They’re very charismatic and articulate! My 2 1/2 year old son made us watch it twice and kept asking me to watch it again–he kept telling me how funny they are! I can see this show being very helpful and popular for parents trying to get their kids to understand nutritious eating and helping them not feel like outcasts for not eating bread and cereal. Well done, all of you!

Thank you. Our hope is that we can keep it fun and kids will want to watch.

19. Mary Wilfordsdatter says:

This is perfect! My 6 year old daughter has watched Fat Head dozens of times and will love this! She is my most challenging child to eat (refusese to eat meat) and seeing Mr Fat Head’s kids themselves talk about eating this way could totally be something to help her open up to eating meat. Looking forward to more videos.

20. Lisa Hanley says:

This is a very cool project. I hope your daughters keep up the enthusiasm and make more videos this summer. My 8-year old son will love these. He also wants to make videos for youtube and this will inspire him. Unfortunately, his goals aren’t quite so elevated. Instead of teaching kids how to eat healthier, he wants to review video games. But I think I might look into acquiring Adobe Premiere and a green screen because making videos on video games is a whole lot more creative than sitting around all day just playing video games. So thanks for sharing your kids with us. And if they can also teach my son that Coke and Doritos are evil, that would be terrific… since he just thinks that whatever I say is just crazy-talk.

I hope they keep up the enthusiasm too. You never know with kids.

21. cTo says:

Totes adorbz! ;D I totally had flashbacks to when my sister and I would put on “shows” for our parents when we were little. Wish we had such easy technology to actually make it a reality back then!

Oh, they put on a lot of shows for us as well. Their interpretation of The Nutracker was quite something.

22. Denise Cripps says:

SO happy to see this and “meet” your awesome Fat Head Girls :) My kids will love these videos and I know they’ll be encouraged to to bravely carry on our family’s transition to LCHF. Thanks, Naughtons!

I hope your kids meet them in person someday.

23. Carolyn Scilley says:

Wonderful! I am looking forward to more videos. The girls did a great job!
    Carolyn

24. Bill C. says:

I love it! We try not to preach too much to our kids. (youngest is 20). We gave them the facts and let them think for themselves. But the Fat Head Kids Show will be perfect to show to the grandchildren while we are babysitting.

25. Ed says:

Just watched the video. I can describe it in one word, just can’t decide which one.

Fantastic, impressive, great,wonderful, unbelievable, entertaining.

Anyway you get the idea. Thanks to the girls (and their parents). Hope they keep it up.

Thank you.

26. Why am I not surprised that your kids are smart, talented and articulate? Great idea, too.

Thank you, Jay.

27. Jen says:

I love it! This is a great idea and I cannot wait to show my children the video. Your girls are great!

28. Holly says:

Cool! I’ll share these with my (overweight) 8-year-old son. I have him on a modified low carb diet (I can’t control the snacks he gets at summer camp,although we did agree that he’ll pass on the juice they serve with the snacks).

Sometimes he’s not too thrilled with eating low carb (occasionally asks for cereal or toast for breakfast), so it might help him to see other kids that eat how he does.

Way to go girls, you did awesome!!!!!

He’s exactly the kind of kid we hope they attract to their videos.

29. Jill says:

What a fabulous idea!! Bookmarked for later.

In the meantime, Tom, this is what we’re getting in Australia:

Thta’s why many people are going paleo I guess.
    Hit your head before you read it to save time afterwards. ;)

Wow. They couldn’t get past the first sentence without telling a lie.

30. Nick P says:

Hey Tom…that is too cool! Looks like you all had fun producing that one!

Nick

We all did. I hope the girls keep up their enthusiasm for the project.

31. Marea Verry says:

I look forward to more instalments.
    My kids are also fatheads and I love to relate the story of my then 3 year old informing Grandma that “lollies rot your teeth” when she offered to buy him some.

Outstanding!

32. Bryan says:

Very cute! Please color correct the girls’ skin tone for the next one.
    Love it! Keep it up girls!

Yeah, they looked kind of blue and cold in the first one. I remembered to run the white-balance function on the camera after that.

33. You really need to colour grade and colour correct it better…. and white balance it beforehand.

Otherwise they look almost sickly :-/ Not a good look for kids promoting health! :-o

Yeah, I remembered to white-balance for the next shoot.

34. Lauren says:

Wow! They did such a good job! Star quality. Tell them we can’t wait for more episodes and to keep up the good work! ~ L

35. Christine says:

These are great! I have a 4 and a 6 year old and they loved it. Goofy fun and educational. I certainly hope they do more videos.

They will.