Interesting items from my inbox …

And if you do develop diabetes, you’ll probably laugh about it

At least the Feds won’t declare this possible weight-loss drug illegal — because it already is:

Toking up may help marijuana users to stay slim and lower their risk of developing diabetes, according to the latest study, which suggests that cannabis compounds may help in controlling blood sugar.

Although marijuana has a well-deserved reputation for increasing appetite via what stoners call “the munchies,” the new research, which was published in the American Journal of Medicine, is not the first to find that the drug has a two-faced relationship to weight.

Three prior studies have shown that marijuana users are less likely to be obese, have a lower risk for diabetes and have lower body-mass-index measurements. And these trends occurred despite the fact that they seemed to take in more calories.

Hmmm, if marijuana users are skinnier despite taking in more calories, that would seem to violate the calories-in/calories-out theory.  Naw, that can’t be.  Obviously, there’s something about getting high that makes people want to go jogging.  All that talk about a “runner’s high” was just a cover story.

Why? “The most important finding is that current users of marijuana appeared to have better carbohydrate metabolism than nonusers,” says Murray Mittleman, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and the lead author of the study. “Their fasting insulin levels were lower, and they appeared to be less resistant to the insulin produced by their body to maintain a normal blood-sugar level.”

Easy there, Professor Mittleman. If you go around suggesting that insulin levels and carbohydrate metabolism are involved, you’ll get clobbered by bloggers who insist insulin has nothing to do with obesity and is, in fact, a wunnerful appetite suppressant. (I guess all those obese people with high insulin levels are ignoring the wunnerful appetite suppressant and eating just for the heck of it.)

While marijuana may initially promote appetite and overeating, in the long run it has the opposite effect because it desensitizes cannabinoid receptors and may even protect against obesity.

So don’t skip the gym and break out the bong just yet: there’s still not enough data to tell whether marijuana, like alcohol, could have health benefits in moderation. Mittleman says the study relied on self-reported use of marijuana, which can be unreliable.

Gee, do you think? Food questionnaires are notoriously unreliable, and those people are trying to tell the truth. If we want to know who’s smoking pot and who isn’t, I’d suggest a survey question more like this:

Have you smoked marijuana in the past six months?

A. Yes

B. No

C. Oh, man, I can’t ‘t remember

Then mark down people who answer A or C as pot-smokers.

Media declares girl a hero for parroting her mother’s opinions

It’s the kind of story media reporters love — and makes me want to barf:

A 9-year-old girl from Kelowna, B.C. has become somewhat of an international star after speaking at a McDonald’s annual shareholders meeting in Chicago last week.

Hannah Robertson and her mother Kia were invited to the meeting as members of the watchdog group, Corporate Accountability International. They spoke on behalf of an online campaign created by the group called Mom’s Not Loving It and have also started their own healthy eating blog Today I Ate A Rainbow.

Got the picture so far? Hannah’s Mom is an anti-McDonald’s activist.

“Mr. Thompson, don’t you want kids to be healthy so they can live a long and happy life?” Robertson asks CEO Don Thompson during the question and answer period. “It would be nice if you stopped trying to trick kids into wanting to eat your food all the time.”

Cue the big cheers from the media and the social activists. Why, by gosh, it’s a pipsqueak version of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Look at the little darling taking on the big, bad CEO.

Puuuuuke!

Seriously, does anyone who considers Hannah an “international star” for standing up and repeating her mother’s opinion believe she’s ever been “tricked” into eating at McDonald’s? And if so, where was Hannah’s mom at the time? Unless Hannah has her own money and her own car, I’m pretty sure she’s incapable of eating at McDonald’s without her mom’s approval. I’m also pretty sure her mom never approves.

If you’ve seen the bonus interviews on the Fat Head DVD, you’ll recall Jacob Sullum pointing out that people who get their undies in a twist over McDonald’s advertising to kids aren’t concerned about themselves or their kids — they don’t eat there anyway. They’re concerned about the people they consider too weak or too stupid to avoid the temptation of Happy Meals — in other words, people they consider inferior.  Here’s a perfect example:

Hannah and her mother acknowledge McDonald’s has stepped up efforts to offer healthy foods, such as fruit smoothies and apple slices in the Happy Meals, but suggest the company must avoid specifically marketing their fast food to kids. “Take toys out of the Happy Meals and not using cartoon characters and sports icons,” Hannah tells Global. “It’s kind of like tricking them into thinking that McDonald’s is good for them and it’s like this amazing thing,” she tells CBC.

I’m sorry you and your mom consider other kids your age to be such gullible idiots, Hannah. If only the kids who aren’t as smart as you had parents who could protect them from the Svengali-like powers of Ronald McDonald.  Oh wait, they do.  But of course, your mom thinks the parents are idiots too.  That’s why she believes they need her to protect them from temptation and thus from their own decisions.

The CNN and ABC star is now back in her Grade 4 classroom, but hoping to hear from Thomspon. “I gave him our business card and told him to email us about healthy eating ideas for McDonald’s,” she says.

Yes, I’m sure the CEO of McDonald’s is dying to hear how your mom’s idea for McTofu Nuggets will boost their bottom line.

More School Nonsense

Technically, butter’s been off government-approved school menus for a long time. But apparently schools in New York are now cracking down on illicit butter-buying:

Butter was exiled from school cafeterias as far back 2008 in an effort to make meals healthier. But some school kitchen managers say they are being ‘bullied’ on how to prepare meals and threatened with ‘disciplinary action’ should they go against the ban.

Well, I am shocked — SHOCKED! — that there could be bullying involved when people ignore government bureaucrats.

The spreadable delight has been banned from school cafeterias. It can’t be used for cooking or offered with bread.

And now it’s the subject of an aggressive crackdown that threatens the livelihood of school kitchen managers who’ve dared to order the illicit treat.

“Please explain why your managers are ordering BUTTER!!!” a Brooklyn regional school food manager fumed in an email last week to officials overseeing 25 schools.

Um … because it’s delicious and good for us?

Department officials say butter is one of several ingredients they’ve stripped out of meals in recent years to make them healthier. Also off the menu: whole milk and white bread.

Brilliant. Let’s ban water and broccoli next.

Greenpoint mom Brooke Parker was baffled by the anti-butter crusade. “I don’t understand why the mayor is attacking butter. What’s he got against butter? It’s not that bad for you,” she said. “How about making sure kids have gym classes before they ban butter?”

How about if they restore gym classes, then don’t ban butter?

Parker’s daughter Vivian, 6, a kindergartner at Public School 84 in Williamsburg, didn’t mind.

“They don’t have butter at my school,” she said. “They said it makes you fat. I don’t like butter anyway. They have cream cheese for our bagels instead.”

Head. Bang. On. Desk.

With such rampant anti-fat hysteria in the public school establishment, I’m surprised they just didn’t just ban meat from the menu.

Oh, wait … one school did:

There’s no “mystery meat” at one Queens public elementary school.

Public School 244 in Flushing is the first public school in the nation to serve all-vegetarian meals for breakfast and lunch, according to city education officials.

Chefs at the Active Learning Elementary School have swapped chicken, turkey and ham for black beans, tofu and falafel, and kids are digging in with delight.

My bull@#$% meter is not only ringing, it’s gone all the way up to 11.  The kids are eating low-fat, low-salt, vegetarian meals and they’re squealing and digging in with delight? Well then, we don’t need to ban meat or fat or salt, do we?  Clearly the kids love the low-fat, low-salt, vegetarian stuff, so that’s what they’ll choose anyway.  Somebody call Hannah’s mom and tell her she can stop worrying about Ronald McDonald tricking kids into eating cheeseburgers.  They’d rather eat tofu and black beans.

I’m thinking what we’re looking at here is a rah-rah article by reporters who believe the all-vegetarian menu is a good idea.   Don’t worry about the school forcing its dietary preferences on your children, folks!  See – they love it!

The students are pioneers in a citywide effort to make healthy food a staple of every child’s day.

My b.s. meter was correct.  It’s a rah-rah piece, all right.  School officials decide the kids won’t eat meat anymore, and instead of calling the kids what they are – a captive market being subjected to someone else’s dietary preferences – the reporters call them pioneers.  I’d puke again if the media adoration of Hannah parroting her mom’s leftist opinions hadn’t already emptied my stomach.

Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott, who often crows about maintaining a fit lifestyle, said the launch of the vegetarian food-fest should be duplicated in schools across the city and country.

Yes, by gosh, Chancellor, if only you could impose your dietary preferences on every kid in the country.  Well, perhaps in some future decade, when that annoying concept of individual liberty is finally gone, you’ll get your chance.

So … we have schools banning butter, whole milk, and now meat – all in the name of making kids healthier.  Anybody want to guess what the reaction would be if some school administrators who believe a low-carb/high-fat diet is best for kids tried to force their preferences onto the school menus?  Anybody want to guess what would happen if they ordered the vegetarian kids to put meat on their plates?

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Share/Bookmark
45 Responses to “From The News …”
  1. For the kids who don’t get the “SHOCKED” reference:

Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
    Captain Renault: I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
    [a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
    Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
    Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
    [aloud]
    Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!

2. Steve says:

I hear bacon is really good when you are stoned

3. Chris says:

I have to say that if a school kid says ‘I am enjoying it because it didnt have a lot of salt in it’ then the quality of ‘meat’ they are eating is not quite the same as the meat you are thinking of (ie it is probably highly processed/nuggets and quite possibly full of sugar as well etc). I guess its low carb. Kids in schol are captive markets subjected to someone elses preferences anyway; so I’m not sure you can say that making them eat vegetarian meals provides less liberty than only serving chicken nuggets. Of course, if the school previously offered a choice (nuggets or vege), thats a different issue.

Well, if you reduce the number of choices available to a captive market, I guess it’s not technically a reduction in liberty, but it still sucks.

4. Per Wikholm says:

Well Tom, in France the government has actually issued a law declaring that every lunch served in schools has to contain animal products. Apperently we don´t see any public uprising with demonstrations and riots in France because of this decision.

Some vegans on the net shed tears over it, that´s all:

Good lord, stupidity on top of stupidity.

5. Lori says:

I don’t know about pot smoking, but McDonald’s is one of the few places whose food I know won’t make me sick. Since they’re open late, and they’re cheap, I stopped there tonight instead of fixing dinner at 11 pm. Of course, others are free to make themselves a veggie burger if they like.

“Young Pioneers” reminds me of the Soviet Union.

My thoughts exactly.

6. Tom Welsh says:

‘“This is so good!” squealed 9-year-old Marian Satti, devouring her black bean and cheddar cheese quesadilla Tuesday at lunch. “I’m enjoying that it didn’t have a lot of salt in it.”’

Cheddar cheese… not a lot of salt… hmmm.

Any Cheddar I have ever eaten has been very salty indeed. How much Cheddar was in those quesadillas (a name which means “little cheesy things”) anyway?

As you say, Tom, it seems likely that the 9-year-olds quoted in those pieces have been somewhat brainwashed by their parents. As the old Jesuit saying had it, “Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man”.

Here’s an idea: let’s ask some 12-year-olds what THEY think!

I suspect the rah-rah reporters would ignore any kids who declared the meals tasteless.

• Jill says:

Why do you assume that the reported quote is accurate!

It may well be accurate but in this kind of article it may not be.

Nothing against these kinds of foods but the ban on meat is a UN thing being mandated in your schools and is therefore against the Constitution (foreign treaties agreements…).,

Nuggets are quite processed by the way.

The USDA mandates all kinds of choices in our schools. Whole milk isn’t allowed, for example.

7. j says:

The direction we’re headed in scares me..more control more restrictions..

If you’re not scared, you’re not paying attention.

8. Jo says:

Sometimes I have trouble deciding between butter and cream cheese, so I choose both! Yum.

9. Brenda says:

So when I was a kid, McD’s blatantly marketed to kids, and didn’t make any effort to provide “healthy” choices like chemical soaked apples. Yet somehow we all managed to stay thin. So what is the assumption here – we’re all getting too stupid to resist advertising? Nothing more at play here, eh?

Thank you Tom for once again putting a humorous spin on a topic I would otherwise find extremely depressing.

I believe that is the assumption, yes.

10. Elle says:

My mother travels a great deal for work and she always finds the most interesting people to talk to on the plane ride. Not too long ago she was telling me about a gentleman whose company makes apples for school lunches.

See back in the bad old days kids would get a cookie with their lunches.
    So schools wanted to give them apples.
    But whole apples were being thrown.
    So schools gave them chemical soaked sliced apples.
    But now kids were throwing out the apple slices.
    So the schools started serving them with “caramel” sauce.
    But now the kids were eating the “caramel” sauce and still throwing out the apple slices.
    So now companies like the one this gentlemen works for are going to flavor the apples themselves with nummy flavors like bubblegum and fun not-apple fruit flavors.

Just give the kid a cookie already!

You can lead a kid to an apple, but you can’t make him eat it. Perhaps someday the schools will just give up and admit they’re not supposed to be diet centers.

• emi11n says:

Those mcdonald apple slices are terrible. I’ve tried them a couple times and they always have a bitter undertaste, I’m guessing from the chemicals they use to keep them from browning. All because we can’t possibly bite into a whole apple. yuck.

11. Janknitz says:

We have a French charter (school) in our tow and a huge controversy has arisen because the school board is permitting them to raise the prices of lunch to $4.75, hire a chef, and serve healthy, real food, full fat French style sit down meals as part of the curriculum. A lot of the controversy has to do with the haves and have nots (the school took over space from a poorly performing school with a high percentage of economically challenged students), but much of it centers on cost (a parent foundation will subsidize costs for those who need it) and many argue that kids won’t eat the healthier fare (French kids do it every day).

It would be great if this program spreads to other schools–imagine sitting down with kids and teaching them about health, nutrition, agriculture (the school uses foid from their garden), language, economy, and culture. And the extra money is well spent for improved health.

But instead, many are criticizing the program for being elitist and trying to stop the school from doing this because ALL kids in public schools should suffer thecurrent lousy school lunch policy.
    http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130522/ARTICLES/130529820 ( be sure to read the comments).

Unfortunately that’s a common attitude. A school cook somewhere was told to stop making such good meals because it wasn’t fair to kids in other schools.

• SB says:

A French style sit down lunch for only $4.75?!? That sounds like a bargain. If they don’t work out, can the chef come open a takeout restaurant in my work building?

12. Liz says:

If I didn’t have a wheat/gluten allergy, I’d probably indulge in a McNugget from time to time. It’s probably a good thing I’m allergic to stuff that’s not very healthy for my body–would you believe alcohol is one of them? Even one drink seems to slow me down and disturb my stomach; it makes me feel awful. So I use cannabis. I was thinnest when I was using daily, but I was also in my early 20s. Who knows! I personally don’t get the munchies, but I have friends who do.

I’ve read that people who smoke pot or take valium are often those who don’t get a pleasant buzz from alcohol.

13. Andrea says:

In as much as smoking pot is the biggest problem with pot, would it be better to bake it into coconut flour brownies or add it to green smoothies?

(I would usually add a smiley with its tounge sticking out to make sure people understand this is irony, but since you have done stand-up comedy and presumably understand this sort of humorous device I will settle for a paraliptic parenthetical.)

How about mixing it with a nice salad?

• Liz says:

I’ll field this, even if it’s a joke :)

Yes, if you want to avoid lung damage, cook with the oil or learn how to extract the THC in butter or oil. You can bake gluten-free brownies, but you’re going to have to spend a lot on the special herbs, plus you kind of build up a tolerance for it (eating more, spending more). Or you can buy a vaporizer :)

I always hear about cannabinoids preventing cancer growth, so this may be why chronic pot smokers don’t develop lung cancer the way chronic cigarette smokers do. I’d rather be safe than sorry, myself.

• Jessica Nicole says:

I am diabetic and I lost quite a bit of wait in the past 10 years, consuming pot along the way. The downfall of consuming marijuana are the munchies (could get dangerous for diabetics). However, the fact that new studies show that it can actually help you lose wait and be beneficial for diabetics is amazing news for me.

14. Kristin says:

Out here where I live I can’t turn around without running into another one of my friends that has a medical marijuana card. So various bits and pieces of information have filtered though to me over the years. From what I understand there are two major strains and within those is practically infinite variation that has different effects on the body. Some do not induce the munchies as bad and some don’t really get you very high, just more relaxed. And it also makes a difference how it is taken (extract, smoke, baked goods.) So when they say MJ controls blood sugar or assists with weight control or insulin the first question I have is “Okay, which strain are we speaking of and how administered?” For those of us with carb intolerance I’m going to go out on a limb and say that baked goods would not be a very good idea.

I have to admit that I’ve been rather surprised at the list of benefits moderate use is supposed to have. It was made illegal about the time pharmaceuticals were starting to make an impression in medicine. Prior to that MJ (especially in an extract form) was a common home remedy for a lot of things. I’ve always been concerned about the short term memory loss, though. I have enough trouble remembering where I put my keys.

Like any other drug, there are good effects and bad effects.

I just finished reading “The Cornbread Mafia,” a book about the huge marijuana-growing organization that was centered in Kentucky in the 1970s-1980s. Lots of experimenting by the growers to create those perfect strains.

• Liz says:

Kristin, good points…and finding your keys or eyeglasses while stoned can be annoying (good thing the effects tend to wear off, and you’re back to normal).

Indica will produce a relaxing, if soporific effect. Sativa will allow for more movement, brain functions, etc. I went out to California recently and did both with a friend who had a script for it. She didn’t tell me which was which, so I simply paid attention to how I felt. Turns out there is much truth to the different strains.

Not that I’m an advocate for goofy potheads (we’re all different with different needs), but I sure wish more objective research would be done on MJ. It’s easy to grow, needs no pesticide, gives us hemp, etc. It’s only a matter of time before the drug companies and lobbyists lose power over it’s impending legalization.

15. Mike P says:

Every time I hear the word ‘Chancellor’, I can’t help but think of Chancellor Palpatine from Star Wars. Sounds like the Chancellor from your story is on the dark-side as well. I bet Yoda ate butter, meat, and whole milk. Where is LCHF Yoda? We could use him….

Thanks for the great article!

My first thought is of a former Chancellor of Germany.

16. Angel says:

It’s my understanding that chronic high stress/cortisol tends to inhibit weight loss, since when the body senses that it is in crisis, it doesn’t like to let go of food stores. I wonder how much of the health benefit of pot smoking is really just lowering the levels of stress hormones.

Interesting idea. Since they noted the pot-smokers have better carbohydrate metabolisms, I was wondering if whatever makes a person less prone to diabetes also makes him or her more likely to enjoy being high. The few times I tried marijuana (and yes, I inhaled), I didn’t much care for it.

• Vic says:

That is an interesting take on it, I have diabetes and was married to a pot head. It irritated the life out of him that I didn’t enjoy it like he did. When I quit smoking tobacco I stopped the pot too and never missed it a bit. I will say however that ingested via brownie, pot had a much stronger impact on me…maybe it was the sugar….

Chareva doesn’t get a pleasant buzz from alcohol like I do, but that doesn’t irritate me at all. If we go out and I get a buzz going, I know she’s good to drive.

17. desmond says:

I’ll give you 20:1 odds that the “cream cheese” is really “low-fat cream cheese” loaded with high fructose corn syrup.

I’d bet you’re right.

18. JoolsinCT says:

Don’t have anything new to add, just that I agree with “j” and “Brenda.”

Well done!

19. JasonG says:

As a libertarian, I would be just as enraged if sugar was banned from schools. There are too many elitists who try to control society. Kids are brainwashed and the media eats it up. What happened to personal responsibility? We get fat by your own choices, not because of your school’s menu or Ronald McDonald’s smile. Always blame a rich, convenient target. It’s not our fault.

The elitists are what Thomas Sowell calls “The Anointed” in his book “The Vision of the Anointed.” In a nutshell, they believe they have the answers (which is okay) and can create a better society by spending other people’s money and restricting other people’s freedoms to impose their answers on the rest of us (which isn’t okay).

20. Clint says:

My niece has a 3 year old, she is with WIC, Ok, I don’t know much about WIC other than it discounts food, but they basically dictate what you can buy. For example, they tell you that after your child reaches age two, you can not buy full fat milk, only low-fat!
    This really p&^^%$es me off!!! I keep telling my niece she is depriving her son essential fat for brain development, she doesn’t seem to be concerned about it, oh yeah, she took him and his comrades to Chuckie Cheese for his 3rd B-Day….Sigh!!!!!
    Ok, I got off track….I just wanted to say how grateful I am for you and your Fathead video. It has really changed my lifestyle around.
    I first saw “Food Inc.” back in 2009. I did see “Super Size Me” afterwords, loved the demonization McD’s. Saw FatHead a year or so later, I did not like it because I thought you were defending McDonalds!
    I watched ALL of FatHead…ALL, this time, in 2011. I took notes, I did my own research, and I got it!!! You are right!!!
    Been telling my family for the past year and a half, I get no response, but my brother did pay attention, he lost 40 pounds and his cholesterol is in great shape!
    Well, sadly, his fiancé’s daughter is dating a moron, ooops, I mean this guy, that is pushing no fat, so she is confused. But she has seen my brothers results yet is still afraid of fat.
    Ok, I did it again, got off my original message….Thank you Tom, you have given me new life!!

I got the message, even with the detours. As you’ve no doubt figured out by now, I don’t defend McDonald’s; I defend freedom, including the freedom to make bad choices.

21. Rae says:

“I’m enjoying that it didn’t have a lot of salt in it.” does not sound like a real quote from a real kid. I don’t have kids yet and I may not know a lot about them, but it seems like they enjoy the tastes that you talked about in Fat Head – salt, fat, and sweet (like fruit). We naturally crave them because they’re good for us, and surely with young kids there hasn’t been enough time to brainwash them into ‘enjoying’ dry lettuce and skinless white chicken the way adults pretend to…

If it’s a real quote, they probably cherry-picked from the one kid who liked low-salt food.

22. JW says:

The main issue I take with the vegetarian meal is the unquestioning belief that it’s healthier fare, when the food itself is indistinguishable from a pretty typical fast food offering.

Chipotle, a fast food chain, definitely sells a dish just like that quesadilla. I couldn’t find an exact match at Taco Bell, but you can certainly get one with grilled chicken (a “healthy” analog in the meat world). I’m sure you could order a custom quesadilla and they’d sell you one with beans.

Furthermore, this move seems extraordinarily cynical because the food cost for those items has to be far lower than for the typical mystery meat, which is already so loaded with soy protein isolate filler as to be almost vegetarian anyway.

So the school administration has instituted fast food economics, wrapped up in the Orwellian doublespeak of “healthy eating.” Now they are serving fast food to children and touting it as a great thing in the press.

The only real upside here is the addition of a salad bar. Which puts the school roughly in the same nutritional category as, um, Wendy’s.

I hope they can at least get ranch dressing…

Yup, I think there’s more going on behind the scenes than just a misguided desire for healthier kids.

23. Rae Ford says:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if those brainwashed, indoctrinated children wind up like I did. Fat and wondering where it all went wrong as an adult. My mom put me on skim milk after taking me off formula, only fed me wheat bread and replaced all healthy “cooking fats” with margarine and vegetable oils. I recently had her watch Fathead and I’m sad to say it didn’t change her life like it did mine. (She doesn’t even remember the finer points of it that are related to her situations like statins.)

More recently though, she saw a fundraiser on GPTV talking about the Virgin diet and how many of her problems like arthritis pain can be alleviated by avoiding certain foods and how heart disease is a product of inflammation and those foods also cause that as well. I used every ounce of willpower to bite my tongue and not tell her “I told you so”. She’s now wanting to go on the Virgin diet and avoid eating the foods that her body reacts negatively to.

I plan on having her watch Fathead again now that she’s more receptive to it. She even told me that she feels that my weight problems are her fault because of the food that she had me eat as a child. I told her if any one person is to blame its a toss up between McGovern and Ancel Keyes.

Needless to say though I’m just glad that she’s willing to make changes now.

Those moms meant well, just like the moms today who have their kids on low-fat diets. Unfortunately, they were given bad information.

• Justin B says:

Sometimes, people don’t want advice from others. Sadly, if someone thinks they discovered something all on their own, they end up more receptive to it. Thankfully, that wasn’t me, and I was very receptive to the low carb message coming from someone who weighed more than I did.

24. Firebird7478 says:

The kid and her mom need a nice heaping serving of STFU.

Preferably served in a package with cartoon characters.

25. Ron K. says:

I live in Colorado where the voters have decided it is time to legalize marijuana. It will be interesting to see how hard the Feds come down on the state.

One of the ironies of this whole issue is the fact that the U.S. Government has a patent on the therapeutic benefits of marijuana.

check out US Patent 6630507 titled “Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants” which is assigned to The United States of America, as represented by the Department of Health and Human Services.
    The patent claims that -

“Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and HIV dementia.”

The patent was obtained in October of 2003.

I think that qualifies as hypocrisy on a grand scale.

I didn’t know the U.S. government could own patents. Sounds like a conflict of interest, since 1) the point of a patent is to restrict others from developing identical or similar products or processes and 2) the U.S. government determines who will or will not be issued a patent.

Much of the hemp grown in the U.S. was originally imported courtesy of the Defense Department, which needed tons and tons of the stuff to make ropes.

26. Cameron Baum says:

I have no idea what to make of this article… I think politicians here in the UK are stoned or something…

They’re not stoned. They just need more fatty acids in their diets to make their brains work.

27. Jason says:

Another recent news item that I noticed was the McDonalds CEO who has lost weight by working out and eating McDonalds every day. However, he doesn’t mention exactly what he eats. Too bad he didn’t mention Fat Head.

Yeah, it would be nice if he shared his dietary choices.

28. carole says:

I work with elementary students in a public school in Utah. Some time ago I commented on a post and mentioned the existence of whole-wheat Poptarts in the school’s breakfast menu rotation.
    A few weeks ago I was reading A.A. Milne’s “The King’s Breakfast” to the students. In this poem, the king just wants some butter for his bread, but everyone from his wife down to the actual cow keeps pressing him to try a little marmalade instead. So I had little melba toast squares and I’d brought some marmalade (those little rectangular pouches from a restaurant; I don’t keep jams in my house), and I popped in to the cafeteria for some butter. I assumed it would be real butter since when I was a kid (true, the earth’s crust was still cooling at that time) they only served the real thing. I remember because it was a treat, we always had margarine at home. So I brought the pats back to the classroom, but it didn’t look right, nor smell right. I investigated and found it was, indeed, margarine.
    Heck. Here I was reading about BUTTER and serving MARGARINE. Next year I’ll bring my own butter. As for the mention of the cream cheese in the school cafeteria in this post, our cafeteria regularly serves bagel products with fat free cream cheese.
    And by the way, we voted and the majority preferred the toast with both margarine and marmalade. Only one student preferred “butter”.

Yeesh. I guess either the kids have swallowed the idea that butter is bad for them, or their tastebuds have been seriously messed up.

29. Bret says:

I feel bad for the school employees (though not as bad for them as for the kids). My guess is the overwhelming majority of them want nothing to do with this diet campaign but are being forced to do this stuff through their boards of education that answer to the public and through federal channels that threaten to withhold funding otherwise.

At the Big Gov’t bureaucrat level, I am pretty sure part of the design of this diet obsession is to prevent free market competition vis-à-vis private schools from proliferating by convincing people that public schools are meccas of well rounded professional competence.

I believe you nailed it.

30. My daughter would run screaming from a ban on butter. She likes to snack on chunks of butter, impaled on a fork.

I’m a big fan of butter but I don’t walk around with chunks of it on a fork…

We should all run screaming from that ban.

31. Ineskiste says:

A funny story from my mother in law: she found out her preferred breakfast sausage is done with real pork casing. Disgusted, she is now buying sausage with artifical casings. I also explained to her that we no longer drink juice due to the sugar content. She declared one glass a day is not that much sugar until I showed her the label. And of course the answer I got in return was: “This was fructose, the healthy kind of sugar… and definitely not harmful.”

I will never really understand why some people prefer artifical or highly processed over naturally occuring food items. And why people ignore their taste buds and instead believe they can elongate their lives by eating “designed” food, because the natural food chain is somewhat faulty and unhealthy. Like evolution would have ever allowed that…

No one should ever be forced to eat meatless or meat. What you eat is a personal choice. That you need to eat is not, though. My secret is that I like eating, and when I do I want it to taste as good as possible. Even before I heard about LCHF I preferred the taste of butter over margarine. I was already refusing to eat low fat stuff just because it never tastes right. And I had always used real whipped cream instead of frosting (the healthy kind of frosting with tons of sugar and no dairy). ;-)

I guess a lot of people are still sold on the idea that if a food tastes great, it has to be bad for you.

• Walter Bushell says:

IIRC, it was you who perfectly summarized the Ornish diet as, “If it tastes good — spit it out.” About the size of it.

I was quoting someone else. Can’t remember who.

32. labrat says:

For you news files.

In my inbox today, may require free registration for those of you who don’t use Medscape.
    New study links statins to musculoskeletal injuries. (Big surprise- not)

No surprise at all.

33. labrat says:

As far as I remember, when I first saw the story about the vegetarian school, the majority of the students were already vegetarian (Indian I believe). I recall that school was in Flushing, so it must be the same one.

34. Jean Bush says:

It all “boils” down to this:

The weaker and sicker and more confused we are, the easier we can be controlled.