I was interviewed yesterday by holistic nutritionist Beverly Meyer of the On Diet and Health blog on her radio/podcast show, which is titled Primal Diet – Modern Health.

Among other topics, we talked about the USDA imposing its nutrition guidelines on schools, the average media health reporter’s inability to understand what a study actually means, and the ridiculous (in my opinion) animosity between some low-carbers and paleo types.

Beverly will soon be moving her show to another network, but at this point she isn’t sure which network that will be.  She’ll make an announcement on her blog when the show finds a new home.

You can listen to our interview here.

8 Responses to “Interviewed On Primal Diet – Modern Health”
  1. johnnyv says:

Yes the paleo vs the low carbers tends to resemble the Judean People’s Front vs the People’s Front of Judea when compared to the SAD(Romans) they are fairly similar.
    I just take the bits I like from both and do my own thing being a filthy “splitter”.

Apologies to Monty Python.

“Wait … I thought we were the Judean Peoples Front.”
    “No, we’re the Peoples Front of Judea!”

2. Peggy Holloway says:

I am in an ongoing debate with someone on Huffpo (a die-hard vegan). He/she has asked me to read RCTs that she/he has cited showing animal based diets to be harmful. Can anyone help me formulate a brief critique of using this trial as evidence for plant-based diets being preferable?

As Dr. Feinman has pointed, all the supposed negative effects of saturated fat have been found only in the context of a diet high in refined carbohydrates. These people gained weight during the study and didn’t alter their diets other than adding the extra fats. The abstract doesn’t tell us exactly what fats the subjects ate, other than to say the SFAs were “mostly” from butter.

3. Bret says:

Tom, you nailed the big issue with the low-carb vs. paleo in the interview: bickering among each other is going to keep us all from moving forward. It’s like we’re allies in a war that turn on each other. What could be more unproductive?

As these movements gain momentum and popularity, they are becoming historical phenomena. They are already widely recognized across the entire nation by the names “Paleo” and “Low Carb” etc. What I wonder is, are these movements going to become so big that they end up eventually becoming guilty of the same problems we see in the mainstream? I.e. an entire industry that grows up around these ideas and is so entrenched (financially, corporately, and otherwise) into these specific maxims that it may hinder future progress when new evidence surfaces some day?

I would like to think that we opponents of the lipid hypothesis are all-around more enlightened individuals who appreciate good science and dutifully avoid conflicts of interest. But watching these childish squabbles between these two camps, I can’t help but reckon we can expect problems to this effect in the future.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a bit of an industry grow up around the paleo movement, at least if that means ranchers change their practices to meet a growing demand for grass-fed meats. But yes, we need to avoid becoming closed-minded like the anti-fat hysterics did.

4. Firebird says:

A pro wrestler who is well know for his veganism just gave up being a vegan. He said he was getting sick and discovered an intolerance to soy products. He said the twitter universe blew up with angry vegans because he left the cult. Not one wished him well and hoped he was returning to good health.

5. Nowhereman says:

Firebird, do you happen to have the name of who that wrestler is and any links back to this? It would be good to have a solid example of an athlete that tried veganism and failed at it.

6. Lucky Joestar says:

Nowhereman:

Daniel Bryan is the name you’re looking for, I believe. I just Yahoo-searched “former vegan wrestler,” and his name popped up. Checking the link, it mentioned he was soy intolerant.

Welcome back to omnivory, Daniel! You’ll love being back as much as I did when I ended nineteen straight years of veganism four years ago. I wasn’t thriving either.

7. Laura F says:

I have kids and I have been searching for a good book to explain healthy eating to them! So I’m really excited to hear that you are coming out with something. They loved the cartoons in Fat Head but I don’t know whether they quite got the message (the oldest is 7). Total carb addicts…I am trying to break them of the habit. First step: only protein and fat allowed at breakfast.

That’s a good first step. I don’t believe it’s necessary to put healthy kids with normal metabolisms on low-carb diets as long as they’re eating enough proteins and fats, and the carbohydrates they consume aren’t coming from sugars, juices or grains.

8. jake3_14 says:

Bret,

Since the paleo and low-carb eating groups make up 1% (at most) of the US population (not to mention the world population), I don’t think we have to worry about the movements becoming too big any time soon.

And judging by the experts I listen to (Taubes, Fineman, Wolff, LaLonde, Jaminet, Eades, Briffa, Davis, Bailor, Sanfilippo, and a few others), there is no disagreement. All of them are flexible in allowing people to vary their carb and fat levels based on their personal tolerance and activities, up to a certain point. They all agree that processed foods (including sugar) and grains are unhealthy. The only dogmatism/rigidity I see is coming individuals certain that their way is the right way.