Bacon and Lard

45 Comments on Bacon and Lard

At least they had the good sense to test-market it in the South …

Okay, I freely admit I love bacon, but even I never considered putting it on ice cream. But apparently Burger King has:

Nashville is serving as a test market for Burger King’s new bacon sundae.

The bacon topped chocolate, caramel and soft serve ice cream may go on the fast food chain’s everyday menu nationwide if the new dessert is a hit in Music City.

Nashville’s News 2 purchased 10 bacon sundaes at the Burger King in Bellevue and stopped 10 people for our own unofficial taste test.

Husband and wife, Richard and Sue Peterson, both approved of the new sweet treat.

“It takes a while for the flavors to mix. Then it’s sort of a nutty flavor,” Sue said.

Her husband Richard added, “It’s different,” he said, but in “a good way.”

Well of course it was in a good way. It’s bacon!

Big tub o’ lard

Chareva finally found the holy grail – tubs of lard that isn’t hydrogenated.

We bought a slab of frozen pig fat awhile back and have good intentions of rendering our own lard someday, but this will do in the meantime. With the lard, the zucchini, and the deep fryer we just picked up, I see deep-fried zucchini strips in my near future.

I checked the nutrition label on the lard. There are 12 grams of fat per serving, but only 5 grams of saturated fat. About half the fat in lard is monosaturated – you know, the kind of fat that supposedly makes olive oil good for us. The saturated fat, of course, will primarily raise your HDL.

The fatty-acid profile of lard is very similar to human body fat. If you lose weight and consume your own fat in the process, that’s good for you. But if you consume a very similar fat from a pig, that’s bad for you, according to the anti-fat hysterics. I wrote about that in a post long ago.

45 thoughts on “Bacon and Lard

1. Firebird7478

I attended a party in April where one of the guests made chocolate chip bacon cookies. Came out quite well. It’s the salt in bacon combined with the sweetness of the chocolate. Quite addictive.

I never would’ve dreamed up that one.

2. Randy M

Hey Tom, just wanted to say thanks for the sausage stuffed zucchini recipe, we made it tonight, with enough left over for lunch.

Excellent. Glad you enjoyed it — I sure did.

3. Nick

Keep in mind lard from industrially raised pigs is more like 32% Omega-6 rather than the 8% figure typically batted around (island pigs that eat nothing but coconut are way lower than 8%, though). Pigs and humans are very similar, and just like us, their O6 content changes drastically with diet. I wouldn’t make lard a large portion of my calories unless it was from pastured hogs.

That would make sense. One of these days we’ll actually get around to rendering our own.

4. Thomas Plummer

Tom you inspired me to do s search for that brand of lard and I am happy to report that the sav-a-lot in my area has it. Some Walmart stores carry it as well but not the one here in small town “bible and gun” clinging western PA.

Pork belly is my next mission.

Thanks again for all that you do.

Enjoy.

5. Mark

In new zealand lard is a few bucks in most of the supermarkets. A few of the butchers even give away off cut fat or skin for free so you can render your own. You get funny looks asking for off cuts of fat though, even more if you say that your eating it.

When we bought some pig fat, it was really cheap.

6. Jennifer Snow

Mmph, not sure celebrating the use of bacon to make sugar more attractive is the way to go . . .

I tried some lard from the local supermarket (I THINK it was un-hydrogenated), but it smells funny to me so I don’t like to cook with it. I prefer coconut and olive oil. My housemate laughed at me the other day when he thought I was making muffins, and it turned out I was melting down a big ol’ tub of coconut oil and chilling it in a muffin tin to make nice little single-use chunks. I hate having to chip away at the big block of the stuff. If this low carb thing ever takes off maybe I can start a business selling peel-packs of saturated fat. Throw one in the skillet and go.

I’m not tempted to try a bacon sundae because I don’t want to start craving sundaes.

7. Megan

When I was a kid (I grew up in NZ and now live in the UK) my Dad cooked me and him sausages, bacon and eggs every morning cooked in lard.My Mum and my brother refused to eat it because of the fat!! My Dad was lean and healthy aside from the smoking.

Fast forward a few years and the lard went out the window – Dad now refused to eat breakfast at all because “cereal tastes like the box it comes in…” Over the years he put on weight (me too). He had stopped smoking but was at least 50 pounds overweight all around his middle.

I see that from the time we, as a family, started to eat “healthy” we put on weight. I now wish I could share a lardy breakfast with my Dad like the old days. he is still with us – but thousands of miles away. he would get a kick out of someone eating lard – especially me! I really wish I had listened to him.

Our family went through that “healthy” phase as well. Egg Beaters instead of eggs, corn oil instead of lard … huge mistake.

8. FrankG

Can I please try that again Tom? With less typos this time!

>>>

I am indeed fortunate that my source for grass-fed beef, pastured pork and lamb — a local farmer + butcher — makes their own lard.

Lard also seems to come up whenever I mention I am on an high fat diet :-0
    I find that I often have to explain that I don’t actually sit on the couch, in front of the TV, with a big ol’ tub of lard and a spoon!

I’m losing count of the number of times I have used your insight regarding the reported “ills” of pig fat; as compared to what we are expected to burn on a calorie restricted diet. It is pure genius to point out to a dietitian that in fact what they are recommending is a diet high in saturated animal fat!

It’s almost like one of those (several) Star Trek episodes where Kirk confronts a computer with an irreconcilable paradox in its programming; which causes it to self-destruct! 😉

I’d like to see some of those dietitians self-destruct … or at least watch steam come out of their ears as they realize they’re counseling us to consume our own lard.

9. Beklet

There is hydrogenated lard? What on earth for? Lard is still relatively cheap, as it’s not that popular, though it did get a bit of a price rise with an influx of Eastern Europeans (they have Lard Soup, how cool is that?). Our local butcher doesn’t even sell, it, as theyre’s ‘no call’ for it, but he does sell dripping (which is also quite cheap and makes the best chips (fries) ever…

Manufacturers hydrogenate oils to make them firmer and increase the shelf life.

10. Jana

How do you know if your lard is hydroginated? I’ve searched the label high and low but found no words that say hydroginated. I’m looking at what I can find at walmart. Since I’m in California, half the label is in Spanish and half in English.

The brands that are hydrogenated list that on the label, at least from what we’ve seen. The brand Chareva picked up just lists lard as the ingredient, with 0 trans fat on the nutrition label.

11. lauren

I remember my mom being very.picky to buy the Lard Free tortillas when I was a kid. They had a big flag on the bag denoting them as such. You don’t see thst anymore. I guess they all went to the dark side.

12. Bawdy

Anyone know a source for good lard online? My grocery store carries lard, but it’s the hydrogenated kind. It’s sold in bricks and is located next to the Crisco. I have tried to find leaf lard online, but haven’t found a good source yet.

Any ideas?

See the other comments. Some people posted links.

1. Ashley Welch

Fatworks.com has the best sources of all animal fats I’m in love with their products and so is my body and health!!!❤️

13. Violeta

Jana,
    Hydrogenated lard is displayed in stores on regular shelves – usually in the “baking needs” section where Crisco shortening is.
    Non-hydrogenated lard must be stored in a cool place because if it is not, it will go rancid quickly. So, non-hydrogenated lard is usually displayed in stores in their refrigerators where they display butter.
    In Greater Toronto Area (Canada), non-hydrogenated lard is a staple in stores that cater towards customers of Central and Eastern European background.

Tom,
    Great blog – really enjoy it. BTW, cookies with lard are very popular in Central and Eastern Europe. They taste great – especially when walnuts are added as well. However, my concern is the sugar and four content and when I switched to my keto diet, I had to say goodbye to those melt-in-your-mouth beauties. Still, small price to pay for maintaining healthy weight easily and feeling great.

That’s what used to be in commercial cookies, lard or coconut oil. I once saw a comedian do a whole bit about how he ate Oreos as a kid and didn’t know he was stuffing himself with lard. Of course back then, we were all squirming over the idea of eating gobs of lard.

14. Emma

Tender Grass Farm ( tendergrassfarm.com ) is having a sale on their pastured leaf lard right now. It’s normally$ 9.99 a lb. and right now it’s $5.99 lb. Great deal. It still needs to be rendered, but that’s easy enough to do. Just throw it in a crockpot on low and melt it down until the fat is separated out, and enjoy eating the cracklings that remain. YUM.

15. mrfreddy

“Wouldn’t that be tallow?”

Actually yes, you are correct sir!

I had to go to the google to find out the difference between lard and tallow: Tallow is fat rendered from beef, and lard is from pork. It’s the same thing, just a matter of what the source of the fat was.

Btw, US Wellness Meats calls it tallow on their website, but they call it “Beef Lard” on the label.

Anyway its good stuff. Once in awhile i make home-made ground beef and add some in to up the fat content. Also add it in when I sous-vide cuts of beef that are on lean side.

16. shums

Where did you get the lard? I am looking for somewhere I can order some. I can’t seem to find it locally that isn’t hydrogenated. I still have some places to check though. Not interested in doing my own rendering yet.

Chareva found it at a local grocery store, but doesn’t remember the name. She found some at Kroger too.

17. Marilyn

Good stuff! One of my distant cousins fried everything in lard and salted it heavily. And lived to 102.

18. Mike P

I work in an office and about once every week or two someone will bring in a treat…usually donuts. I have seen a bacon-wrapped donut before. Sounded interesting, and apparently they are really good although I have not had one. Then I thought, “why waste perfectly good bacon on a donut?”

My thoughts exactly.

19. Jon

I didn’t know that I could become so frustrated and heated over misinformation that is directed towards others and not myself. Let me explain…

I overheard a conversation that a dietician was having with a patient of ours. She informed him that he was pre-diabetic. She began discussing with him that they will put him on a moderate amount carbohydrate diet. She asked if he ever feels the need to snack, and he said, “Well, at night I sometimes wake up and become hungry, so I grab a graham cracker.” Her response? “Oh great! That’s a perfect snack!”

After she left, I looked at the pamphlet she gave him. It showed a meal plan of the choices a person should make. They recommend carbohdyrates at every meal because “They are the body’s main source of fuel and you need carbohydrates in your diet, so don’t skip them!” It was 60 grams at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with two snacks in the day containing 15-30 grams of carbs. So with the meals alone that’s 180 grams IF you don’t eat one single snack.

As I was reading the material and shaking my head, the patient said, “I can tell you don’t agree with this. But I know you don’t want to step on any toes around here. Maybe I will listen to what they have to say when I speak with them and then you and I can have a conversation.”

This pamphlet was just screaming with the low-fat, carb crap non-sense all over it. Here was this dietician, giving the worst advice possible for someone with rising glucose levels, and simply making this man more sick and miserable. I feel bad because he doesn’t know any better.

Sometimes I feel like I’m betraying patients by not giving the information that I know, but then if I do, I feel as though I’m toying with the boundary of my role in the workplace. It’s just so damn unfortunate.

Indeed. Must be quite frustrating for you.

20. LISA

Question (hopefully not as stupid as I think it is):

Can I use fat from an already cooked pork butt to make lard? I was slicing off the skin from a leftover roast to make cracklings, and there is a huge layer of creamy white fat that I scooped out with a spoon. Can I save this in a jar to fry in? It seems a shame to throw it out!
    I tried looking for a tutorial, but they all show raw fat.

Yup, save it. We save bacon grease for frying.

21. Mark.

That brand is sold at Save-A-Lot stores, in my experience. I have also seen small-chain and independent grocers here in Florida sell un-hydrogenated lard rendered by small firms in Georgia, perhaps with a sideline in pork cracklings. The Mexican groceries I have tried stock mostly hydrogenated lard, as do most chain supermarkets.

I’m finding that with the fatty meat I buy and my new habit of using coconut oil and ghee, I don’t use as much lard as I used to. Also I wonder how high the omega-6 content is in pig fat from most American porkers these days.

That’s a good question. We bought the pig fat from a farmer who raises free-range pigs, so I assume it’s okay.

22. Daniel

“Okay, I freely admit I love bacon,”
    Dear Tom,
    My respect for you was already high, but it increased twofold after that sentence.

LOL. I thought the secret was already out.

23. K

Ok, it’s not good for me (and, as penance, I’ve been explosively sick every time I eat it. Me and my good ol’ IBS keeping me honest) but we just got back from New Orleans and I’ve been making beignets just about every day. And for a Southerner, I’m ashamed to say, this has been my only deep frying experience. BUT I’ve learned a lot. Like, the oil gets seasoned and tastes less lardy by the 3rd use. Yeah, it tastes just like it smells.
    Didn’t know there’s different KINDS of lard. I have no idea if mine is good or bad lard. I figured, you know…lard.
    As a soap maker, I’ve rendered my share of animal fat over the years (and it’s cheaper to go to a restaurant supply store and buy buckets of coconut oil and lard, I tell ya that) and it’s dead easy, so don’t give up hope if you still want to render your own lard.
    Out of curiosity, any reason not to cook zucchini in bacon fat? With some bits of bacon sprinkled on top! No wait! Wrap a slice of bacon around each piece…why are we having zucchini again? I got lost in a bacon scented fog and forgot all about the original topic.

Pretty much anything tastes good fried in bacon fat.

24. Amy

Do either brand have BHT, BHA or TBHQ for freshness? If not please tell me which one is just Lard so I can hunt it down. We have to avoid these preservatives because of behavior problems and migraines. See http://www.feingold.org for more info. if interested.

Unfortunately, they have BHT added.

25. Ted

You should go ahead and render that pig fat you’ve got in your freezer. Once you do, you’ll never go back to store-bought lard. It’s really good stuff. Cheap, too: I buy pastured leaf lard from a local organic farmer for 99 cents a pound, which renders to about 1 pint. Hell, that’s about the same price as Mazola. Yeah, ya gotta keep it in the fridge, but it’ll stay fresh in there for weeks, even months. The only thing I like better than home-made lard is duck/goose fat. Mmmm….

We’ll happy make room in the fridge.

26. Elwin Ransom

OK, this may sound a bit sarcastic, but I’m a Moron, so forgive me in advance.

So are you saying that I shouldn’t use Armour lard under any circumstances? I’m sitting here looking at the label and it says 0% trans fats.
    Unfortunately I live in area where I’m 75 miles from the nearest big city, and no one carries anything but Armour lard. I’ve asked around, and other than online sources or driving 150 miles round trip I have no access to unhydrogenated lard. And frankly, that’s cost prohibitive on my budget.

So what should I deep fry in?
    And if I use hydrogenated lard, am I gonna die?
    And if so, how soon can I expect this poison to kill me?

(Remember: I’m a Moron. We may not be a protected species, but we do have a powerful lobby that spans both side of the political aisle…)

I’ve read that hydrogenated lard isn’t as bad as partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, but I don’t know for sure. Could you possibly find some un-hydrogenated lard online? Some readers posted links in the comments.

If that’s not possible, perhaps you could try coconut oil or save bacon grease for frying.

27. Edmond Jacobs

So olive oil is bad? I’m confused I thought it was one of the good oils?

Olive is a natural oil, perfectly okay. But the supposed benefits for preventing heart disease haven’t panned out in research.

28. Ricardo

So Fat has no absolute contribution to effects seen in the video? I mean surely stuff Cheese Burgers or other high fat foods as well as Carbohydrates can produce such an effect. Is it also not true that the body can convert Fats and Carbs into fat? I just curious Thanks.

If you eat a lot of fat combined with a lot of refined carbohydrates, that’s the worst combination of all. You’re eating fat while simultaneously giving your body a signal to store it instead of burning it.

29. David N

I have been buying hormel nitrite-free bacon at wal-mart and I cook it in the oven on a sheet pan at 300 degrees. The fat that renders out of the bacon has a nice clear color and is wonderful to sautee mushrooms and cook eggs in… I looked around locally for unmolested lard but haven’t found any yet. Where did you get the pure lard?

30. emi11n

It’s a good idea to check local farmers markets, I get lard from a farmer at the market who raises pastured pigs, so I know the source. Good stuff!

31. Maddie

Good thing I’m puerto rican. we practically live off pork anything. If one needs any ideas on how to incorporate lard into meals I recommend puerto rican recipes 😀

32. David

I do also save the bacon grease too and fry stuff like eggs and other stuff in it. One night, I even cooked bacon and threw ground pork burgers into the grease to cook it the same night I introduced my best friend and his family to your film.

33. Dan

My niece has a little bacon action figure that she calls, “Mr Bacon”. She takes photos of Mr Bacon every place she goes, similar to the, “Roaming Gnome” of Travelocity® fame. I’ve done the bacon and chocolate thing. I didn’t care for it. Bacon is too good by itself.

34. Peter

Tom question for you or if anyone can answer it would be great I am new to low carb really enjoying all the info and links from this website anyway question is Tom I e seen you say you don’t worry about your cholesterol number do you mean it in the sense that no matter what the number is we should not care or do you mean it in a way that’s says I know I’m eating right so I am not worried what my cholesterol is going to be. Thanks in advance for any clarification I am going for blood testing next month and just want all my information correct so I can decipher the results.

The only useful predictor of heart disease you can draw from a lipid panel is the ratio of Triglycerides/HDL. If that ratio is above 3.0, it’s likely you’re making small, dense LDL — the potentially dangerous kind. If it’s below 2.0 (preferably heading down to 1.0), it’s highly likely you’re producing large, fluffy LDL. That variety not only isn’t harmful, it appears to protect us against infections and cancer. Since my Trig/HDL ratio was 1.1 last time I had a lipid panel, I don’t care if my total cholesterol and LDL are “high” by current medical standards. Those standards are based on old, incorrect information.

35. Peter

Thank you for clarification. One more thing to close this out when you say the trig/hdl ratio how is that figured by dividing my hdl number into trig or vice versa ? Sorry to be redundant its just such a new way from the way we were all taught.

Just like any other division equation. You divide the number on the left (or on top of the bar) by the number on the right. (or below the bar). If your trigs are 100 and your HDL is 50, you divide 100 by 50 and end up with 2.0.