Some of you may have heard Jimmy Moore’s interview with Dr. Mary Newport, who halted and partially reversed her husband’s Alzheimer’s disease by feeding him coconut oil.  My mom just sent me a newsclip that gives a brief version of the same story:

We tried giving coconut oil to my dad, but he was too far gone.  If only I’d known 10 years ago what  I know now, Dad and I might still be enjoying playing golf together.

Ketones have been shown to help with Alzheimer’s, epilepsy, and other brain issues … yet your average nutritionist will still tell people to avoid ketogenic diets in general and coconut oil specifically.   Too much saturated fat, doncha know.  Eat your grains and cook with canola oil.

That’s why the average nutritionist is a menace.

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Share/Bookmark
83 Responses to “Coconut Oil And Alzheimer’s”
  1. Marc Sitkin says:

I’ve been adding a large spoonful to a bowl of ground Flaxseed and Stevia, and mix it with boiling water to make a breakfast cereal. It’s a little pasty, but it tastes good and keeps me going for 5 hours. I’ve had a noticeable improvement in short term memory since starting the use of Coconut oil three months ago. Good stuff!

Sounds like a decent breakfast.

2. Sereena says:

Two questions that I hope somebody can answer for me. I’m in Australia and I haven’t seen coconut oil here, but I have seen coconut butter in my health food store. Is this the same thing?

Also, I’ve had my gall bladder removed (thanks to being on a low fat diet [doctor recommended I may add] at the time that totally wrecked my poor gall bladder). Can the body still process these saturated oils without one and still get all the benefits? While I read a great deal of good info about saturated fats and oils and how beneficial they are, I’m concerned that not having a gall bladder may not allow me the same benefits.

Coconut butter is more like pureed coconut with some of the oil. Removing the gall bladder can affect your ability to metabolize fats, so you’d want to be careful there. I heard someone (sorry, can’t remember who) on Jimmy Moore’s show say that fats can be re-introduced slowly after gall bladder surgery.

3. Galina L. says:

Otto,
    I have been on rather very LC diet for about 4,5 years, and weight loss is very minor benefit compare to the resolving basically all my health issues, like asthma, frequent urinary tract infections, pre-menopause symptoms, leg edema, it is boring to mention all of it. I never thought about myself as a sick person, except some allergies and migraines. All my health markers have been excellent all the time.
    It is a convenient diet, there are always LC options in restaurants and fast-food places, I cook the same food for my family members as for myself, but skip the starchy part. I don’t think fruits are so important. I eat veggies for taste, but I think not eating unnecessary carbs is more important that consuming some fresh produce.
    I exercise and got adopted to exercising in ketogenic and fasted states.

4. Chuck says:

I love coconut cream in my coffee and it mixes well. No oil on the top. I also love the flavor of coconut, but I don’t like the added coconut flavor in most of the foods that I fry. The refined oil may not be as beneficial, but I enjoy cooking (actually eating) with it much more.

5. Janknitz says:

I don’t think there’s a danger in eating coconut oil and I’ve added it to my diet in the hopes that it helps. But I am disturbed by the lack of evidence based scientific inquiry here. Every Internet search brings one back to Dr. Newport. That is one anecdotal incident (I did find one other anecdotal you tube video of an Australian man who was also helped, and it references Dr. Newport.)

I understand funding issues and the fact that nobody is going to spend big money on something that can’t be patented and sold for profit, but there are all sorts of studies looking at the benefits of things like chocolate, for example. It would not be hard for some grad student in medicine or nutrition to devise a simple double blind study, but none exist. Why???

There are trials on MTC oils, apparently, but not on coconut oil per se. It’s difficult to get funding for a study that wouldn’t benefit one particular corporation.

6. bigmyc says:

To all those people who can’t “stand the taste or smell of coconuts,” and though I do understand the concept of different strokes for different folks, summer time at the relaxing, sunny beach must be pure hell for you.

Loathing the mild tropical scent of coconuts while loving breezy, island/ beach setting is akin to hating the smell of hotdogs while being someone who loves to go to the baseball park…

I dunno, maybe those people hate beaches altogether.

7. Brooke says:

Back to the topic of coconut oil, I purchase the “refined”(tasteless) version (by Spectrum). Does this have the same (or similar) health benefits as the “unrefined”?
    Thank you!

I haven’t heard of it.

8. Richard says:

Personally I take coconut oil in pill form (because I’m to lazy to go get lunch) combined with isopure (zero carb protien drink)

And lately I’ve been taking about 140g of saturated fat via coconut oil daily.

I’m only 27 but I’ve noticed the health benefits already.

9. Craig says:

One of my co-workers and I were discussing this and she knew of someone who mentioned to their doctor they wanted to start giving coconut milk to his wife who was suffering from Alzheimer, but the doctor said no because it was bad for the heart. I never ask doctors for advice on nutrition or exercise. An exercise in futility.

Indeed. Most of them don’t have a clue.

10. Galina L. says:

@Sereena,
    I have been commenting several times on different blogs about my experience of eating fatty foods after my gallbladder was removed. Tom is right, gradual increase is the key. Body has a great ability to adjust. Right after my surgery I had a diarrhea after each meal, no matter what the fat content was, for at least couple of months. I asked my doctor for enzymes, but he said “No”. His reason – on enzymes I would never manage to adjust to live without gallbladder. It is logical to assume the same is right about eating fats. It is really important to give you some time. I am eating high fat foods now, but do not gorge on it.

11. Carole W says:

re: Sereena’s gallbladder question
    I had my gallbladder removed too…it wasn’t until I found out I was very deficient in vit D and started researching that I learned that it’s hard for the body to metabolize and use the good fat-based stuff (vit A, D, E, K; MCFAs, etc) without a gallbladder. (I know, I know: duh!)

I adopted a LCHF diet several months ago, and definitely noticed discomfort when I ate a lot of fat at once. There are enzyme supplements to help with fat breakdown — I take Lypo Gold by Enzymedica. It’s got a ton of fat-digesting enzymes, and it definitely makes a difference for me. Digest Gold works too (one time the store was out of Lypo Gold). I usually take it when I take my fat-soluble vitamin supplements too; I’m hoping it helps with absorption of those.

I buy them on Amazon.

Good info, thanks.

12. Canuckette says:

SUSTAINABLE MCT (palm) OIL?

My mother started showing signs of early onset Alzheimers about ten years ago. She is now 70 and in the locked down ward of a nursing home. Many of her siblings also suffer from either Alzheimers or valscular dementia. At 43, I started having memory “issues” last year, so when I came upon Dr. Newport’s book last month, I quickly started on a regimen of coconut oil. I’m now adding 3 T. to my food at every meal and I have seen a small improvement already– I no longer wonder every morning which of the keys on my keyring will open my office door.

However, I discovered that melted coconut oil does not make for a great salad dressing: it hardens when it comes into contact with cold food. So I tried buying some mct oil. When I discovered that it was a combination of fractionated palm and coconut oil, I was concerned, because I learned recently that most palm oil is not harvested sustainably. It is a cause of rainforest deforestation, huge greenhouse gas emissions, and pushing orangutans, sumatran tigers, and Sumatran rhinoceroses close to the brink of extinction. I tried contacting the company, Alpha Nutrition in BC, to ask where their mct oil came from, and I soon spoke to the company’s owner, who was very defensive, and did confirm that his source was not sustainable. So I’d rather not buy any more mct oil from them.

So I’m wondering if anyone in Canada or the US knows of any sustainable sources of mct oil?

13. Greg says:

I use Lou Ana’s! In fact, I need to buy some more. Maybe this was discussed, but I thought Ketones were produced in the liver, and didn’t come out of a jar!! I guess I can’t expect reporters to get all their facts straight. That’d be like asking too much?

Coconut oil is converted to ketones in the liver.

14. Walter B says:

For salad dressing perhaps a mixture of coconut and olive oil?

15. Ricardo says:

Hey Tom i was wondering what do you think of this new documentary of Sugar featuring David Ludwig on 60 min.

I was happy to see him getting national exposure.

16. Marilyn says:

@darMA “I checked out Dr. Newport’s site a few times after her story first came out. Would anyone be surprised that she indicated her husband was on statins??”

Of course, the next question is: Which came first, the statins or the Alzheimers?

You know where I’d place my bet.

17. Nowhereman says:

Canuckette, Nutiva is a good brand that collects as well as produces in a reasonably sustainable manner in accordance with fair trade practices. As for the salad dressing. I don’t know where you’re getting the problem from. Maybe it’s the brand you’re using? I’ve melted coconut oil for many years, occasionally mixing it with apple cider vinegar and or animal-based lards without it going back to a solid state while eating it. Very yummy and you feel really good as well as full afterwards! :D

18. Claude says:

bigmyc, I live less than 10Km from stunning beaches and, to the great concern of my parents, spent most of my high school days sunning, swimming and basically doing absolutely nothing except lying flat on the sand. So in my case. dislike of coconut and hatred of beaches shows no positive correlation.

I’ll give it another try tough, perhaps just like beer it’s an acquired taste and I did manage to develop a liking to Guinness after all.

I liked Guinness from the first sip. Still do, although I drink far less of it now.

19. Paul L in MA says:

Interesting but a little confusing. I have read elsewhere about how important DHA is for cell membranes in brains and retina. That is the long, six-times poly-UN-saturated fat abundant in wild fish (and terrestrial game meats too).

But I learned this interesting thing from the book _The Queen of Fats_: each of the double-tailed phospholipid molecules in a membrane always has one unsaturated tail, and usually one saturated tail. Perhaps there really is a preferred one-to-one optimum?

Eat your fish and your coconuts, I guess, it works for the Kitavans.

20. Paul L in MA says:

I thought the warning about hydrogenated coconut oil was weird — who would try to hydrogenate something that is already 92 percent saturated? But apparently this really happens to make the melting point even higher, says Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil#Hydrogenation

Yup. Lousy thing to do to an otherwise good oil.

21. Becky says:

I love this story. My grandfather recently passed away from complications from Alzheimers and my parents both seem to be on this track. I was annoyed that they kept showing ways to add coconut oil to starch– a terrible combination in my opinion, but I guess you can’t alwasy have everything.

Get them on the coconut oil, minus the starch. Can’t hurt to try.

22. Richard A. says:

I use LouAna coconut oil which is tasteless and cheap.

Walmart carries it.

Some Ralphs (part of Kroger) also carry it.

23. Joe Lindley says:

I posted your article on Facebook and got an immediate response from one our friends whose father has been on Coconut Oil for a year. His Alzheimers symptoms are improving but he is also on other meds so it’s hard to know what is helping.
    I posted the following article on Insulin Resistannce and Alzheimers/Memory loss late last year. They were accomplishing the same thing by increasing insulin. The culprit is of course insulin resistance…

Indeed, but as with diabetics, I’d rather find a way to reduce the need for insulin than pump more of it into the body.

24. Nathan says:

I had my gallbladder removed. Your body adjusts. I think it took a year or two until I stopped getting the runs after eating a fatty meal. But now I don’t have any problems.

25. Live Free or Diet says:

I went to the market two weeks ago after reading your post. I spent a whopping six dollars on a two-pound jar of coconut oil. Nice effect! Less dry, itchy skin. Fewer aches and pains. Dropped a few pounds. Sleeping better. I haven’t felt this good in some time!

I had no idea.

26. Jayson R says:

“That’s why the average nutritionist is a menace.”

Wrong. That’s why people like you, who feed the public imaginary “nutritional facts” are a menace.

You speak based on what you think, not what you have learned through education.

You also sell goods based on what you think, not what you have learned through education.

Your T shirt, Wheat is murder, is a prime example of your ignorance. It’s also an insult to people who know what proper grains to eat for good health.

For someone who seems to think he’s in the know, you know very little. Halychanka (Red Fife) wheat, is a grain/wheat that’s good for you, it is not a grain/wheat that will murder you. Do some freaking research.

It’s said, “There’s a fool born every minute”. Just reading the comments made on this page, proves that is true..

The fools are actually believing your garbage stories on nutrition. The same fools are filling your pockets with their cash, buying your deceptive goods.

Isn’t that ducky. One more scammer to add to the list of the many scammers out there, who take advantage of the gullible, whatever way they can.

Nice going fathead. Your name suits you well.

Glad to see the nutritionists weighing in to defend the crap they promote.

There is no dietary requirement for grains. Some are more or less damaging than others, but none are required for good health. And yes, the advice I give is based on education. I read books and studies constantly, listen to interviews with doctors and researchers constantly, attend lectures several times per year. What I didn’t do was get a degree in nutrition by listening to other nutritionists parrot the same crap they were taught with no science to back it up.

27. UK Health says:

Interested to hear some first hand anecdotes about coconut oil use. The fact is that big pharmaceuticals will never release favorable data about this food, there is no profit in it. Their kickbacks to government will see to it that any major studies will be low profile.

So as so often we must be our own guinea pigs and piece together the facts from experience, anecdotes and what little information is available from research.

I’m sorry the nutritionist was upset, but the kind of ignorance they suffer from is hard to cure. They are taught a course o half truths and dogma. This is sad because when they sign up for the course it is out of a desire to do good. It is tough to realize that the course was designed to steer them away from nutritional information that might cause them to question the use of certain drugs.

1. Demonizing saturated animal fats
    2. Consumption of grains that are not soaked or sprouted.
    3. Little knowledge of the benefits of lacto-fermentation
    4. The great Cholesterol lie
    5. Promotion of vegetable oils

All myths perpetuated so that big food corporations can sell commodities with maximum markup.

I try not to be hostile to doctors and nutritionists. They are usually good people who like the rest of us have been mislead.

28. Sarah Ray says:

Does coconut milk have the same effect as coconut oil? I have been giving that to my mother and it seems to help. But it may simply be the TLC and Reiki that she is responding to.

Coconut oil would deliver more concentrated MCTs.

29. Val says:

Awww… thank you for sharing your story. I was really touched. My mom and dad are actually on their senior age right now and they talk about a lot of body pains and all. Sometimes they suffer from memory gap which I think is usual when you’re getting older. But thanks for letting me know that coconut oil can be useful for Alzheimer’s. I might just add it to my mom and dad’s diet. After all I’ve been using coconut from this site http://products.mercola.com/coconut-oil/ for my skin and hair for more than a couple of years now.

30. Dorla Patterson says:

I am not saying that coconut oil will help others but I pray that it does. It is natural and nothing in it to harm anyone. I am only stating what results that I and my brother in law have had.
    My brother in law, suffers from mild dementia and has had serious issues with psorriasis. He has been taking three TBS a day for nearly 8 months and has much improvement in mental acuity and physical mobility as well as experiencing freedom from symptoms of psorriais.
    I started taking it and my sleep has improved. My skin is softer as well but in all honesty, I started drinking a much more hydrating water…Not sure at this point which did the skin softening…the water or the oil. The blessing in all this is that these are NOT bad chemicals and should not hurt anyone in any way.

31. nancy says:

Im addicted to Artisana raw 100% organic Coconut Butter– Whole coconut flesh.
    It claims to have everything-not just oil. Is it as potent as the oil alone and will
    it produce same benifits — as in ALZ treatment?

The coconut oil will have more medium-chain triglycerides, which is what provides the benefit.

32. Gabriela says:

Take the coconut oil on your finger and put on your acne as many times a day as you can,
    it may take around one week to get rid of your acne.
    If you want to learn more about organic moroccan oil for hair, take a
    look at. The most natural moisturizing ingredient out there is plain water.