Weekend Bonus: the Audio-Visual Version

14 Comments on Weekend Bonus: the Audio-Visual Version

On the Carbohydrates Can Kill show

Another listener-roundtable discussion featuring me and some Fat Head fans is available on Dr. Robert Su’s latest Carbohydrates Can Kill podcast.  You can listen to it here.

Fat Head on cable

Fat Head is now available as a pay-per-view selection on these cable/satellite networks:

• Charter
  • Burlington Telecom
  • Morristown
  • KPU
  • Tullahoma Utilities
  • Valley Communications
  • Cable Cable (CCSA)

Doesn’t it just figure that our own local cable system (Comcast) isn’t carrying it?  Sheesh.

Student Bodies

Some students at Western Illinois University put together a YouTube slideshow promoting Fat Head:

Nice to have some youngsters out there working as guerrilla marketers.  Thanks, guys.

14 thoughts on “Weekend Bonus: the Audio-Visual Version

1. Don in Arkansas

I enjoy listening to Dr. Su and you being the featured guest made it even better. You mentioned a spinach dish you make that your daughters love. It sounded great. Is there a recipe forthcoming?

I’ll try to remember to take pictures and post a recipe next time we make it.

2. Don in Arkansas

I’ll try to remember to take pictures and post a recipe next time we make it.

3. Jeanne

Way to go, students!
    Who are they sharing this with?

I’m not sure, but if it’s on YouTube, they’re sharing it with everyone.

4. Jeanne

Way to go, students!
    Who are they sharing this with?

I’m not sure, but if it’s on YouTube, they’re sharing it with everyone.

5. Lori

I like the video except for the part about eating plenty of fruit. Fruit is mostly sugar and starch, and you can get as much or more vitamins from a salad. I’d rather see “eat plenty of meat, seafood, dairy and/or eggs.” Those foods have certain nutrients that are lacking in plant foods, and they’re more bioavailable.

I limit myself (mostly) to low-sugar fruits like berries.

6. Ron K.

This is in response to your previous post.

I was on statins -Mevacor, Zocor, Lipitor- from 1987 to April 2001, quitting just before the Baycol recall.

In Aug 2001 Bayer’s statin Baycol was pulled from the market because people were dying from its use. This resulted in thousands of lawsuits. The Baycol legal action was the biggest settlement pay out in history for a drug, upwards of 3 billion dollars. After this, Vioxx was bigger at about 6 billion. This Baycol issue has not been covered by the mass media.
    The deaths were caused by kidney failure due to the large amounts of muscle waste material. Muscle degeneration to the point of blowing out one’s kidneys is extremely unpleasant. To continue to do this to the point of death exhibits an incredible amount of faith/trust in their doctor in order not to stop. “It must be good for me because the doctor said so”.

I would argue that any one taking a statin undergoes muscle degeneration, it is only a matter of degree. The effect can be subtle enough that a person ignores it. I know that I did, for far too long.

Several years ago I saw a small article about a new use for statins. Medical researchers had found that statins aid in reducing the rejection of transplanted organs. Statins do this by being an “immunosuppresive agent” that suppresses the immune system. This potential use disappeared quickly in the press. I think lawyers and CEOs of big pharma figured out that their big “prevention” market would be jeopardized by admitting statins suppress the immune system.

A similar situation occurred in 1993 when Merck got a patent for a pill that combined a statin with Co Q10. I think they did not come out with it because to do so would be to admit that statins reduce Co Q10 levels.

It might be worthwhile to do a post on the Baycol lawsuits and the damage the drug did.

By the way, the CDC is another glaring example of “Science is not always what a scientist does”.

I believe that’s why a high proportion of athletes on statins quit taking them. Athletes are more likely than the rest of us to notice if their muscles are being weakened even just a wee bit.

7. Lori

I limit myself (mostly) to low-sugar fruits like berries.

8. Ron K.

This is in response to your previous post.

9. Chris from WIU

We presented it to a class of about 50 all of whom have not seen the movie. Hopefully we got at least a few of them to watch it and in turn get friends and family to watch it as well so they can make informed decisions about eating and living healthy.

You can lead a horse to water … I hope you had an impact on some of them.

10. Chris from WIU

You can lead a horse to water … I hope you had an impact on some of them.

11. Barry

Tom,

Need to do some shopping and trying to go through your Amazon site so you’ll get a bump. If I click on the “Family Store” and then click the little Amazon.com icon from there will you get credit?

I appreciate that. Yes, anytime you end up at Amazon through the blog, we get credit.

12. Kevin

On that note I love my “wheat is murder” t-shirt. The quality was great!!! Great to wear to whole foods and trader Joe’s!

Glad you like it. We made sure to order the thick cotton — which you may need for padding when you incite vegan rage at Whole Foods.

13. Barry