It’s moving day, the first of two.  I woke up this morning in the apartment; tonight after work I’ll drive to the farm house and start living there.  Our PODS will arrive from storage on Wednesday.  With any luck, I’ll have my home office up and running by Friday.

You may recall that after Chareva’s birthday dinner at a Chinese restaurant, my one-hour post-meal glucose level was 219 mg/dl.  After two hours, it was still near 160.  Since Chareva packed up the kitchen yesterday afternoon, we went to Red Lobster for dinner.   Here’s what I had:

• One crab cake appetizer
  • Lobster-artichoke-cheese dip on about six tortilla chips
  • A Cobb salad with bleu cheese dressing
  • A bite of Sara’s clam chowder
  • One lobster tail
  • Two skewers of garlic shrimp
  • Four large scallops
  • Two crab-stuffed shrimp (because Chareva couldn’t finish her dinner)
  • Broccoli drenched with drawn butter

In other words, I feasted.  An hour later, my glucose level was 101 mg/dl.

A diet that keeps your blood sugar under control doesn’t have to be boring.

27 Responses to “Seafood Dinner”
  1. Tammy says:

Two thumbs up for that !!

2. Marta says:

Hmmm, I was not hungry until I read that menu – was going to skip dinner. I think I have scallops in the freezer! Good luck with your move and may your new home bring you and your family continued happiness.

3. Chris says:

Red Lobster can be a mine field, but it sounds like you navigated it like the expert you are.

Going for the protein and fat (plus vegetables) while skipping the heavy starches has become more or less automatic for me.

4. WSB says:

All in the name of science! Best wished for a smooth move!

5. C says:

Apparently it has to be unaffordable

6. Marilyn says:

Sounds yummy ! But how was your blood PRESSURE? That sounds like a fairly salty meal, Tom! XO – M

Salt’s never affected my blood pressure.

7. Greg F. says:

You should check it after diving into this:

A great big bucket of vegetarian food … I’ll pass.

8. Ellen says:

Red Lobster. Yum!

9. Falzy says:

That sounds fantastic! Now I want sea food. -_- Also, I find it very ironic that every time I come to your blog there’s a Jillian Michaels ad on here. Haha, thought I’d point that out.

Google makes some strange choices for their reserved spots.

10. johnny says:

That’s a lot of calories!

Did you gain any weight?

I don’t own a scale. I usually eat within an 8-hour window during the week, toss in a full fasting day now and then, and eat heartily on one of the weekend days.

11. Sigi says:

Om nom nom … scallops.

Oh noes – serious craving awoken! Thanks, Tom. *grumble*

12. I thought I was the only one who drenched my broccoli with drawn butter at Red Lobster. YUM!

13. Tricia says:

Impressive! We’ve avoided Red Lobster because we love the biscuits too much.

My girls love those biscuits. I don’t have problem avoiding them.

14. timmah says:

Big +1.

My “safety choice”: Most chain restaurants have fajitas. I often spoon the lettuce, guac, sour cream, pico, etc. on top of the hot meat and onions.

Tortillas don’t taste like anything anyways.

15. LCNana says:

Man, that’s one hearty-man dinner! Tom, we do appreciate your dropping by during this very busy time. Most of us know how exhausting moving is…eat lots of meat and fat and you’ll be fine!

I only have internet access at work for now, so it’ll by something like drive-by commenting.

16. Octavian says:

Sounds yummy. I may have to make a visit to the Lobster soon. My wife loves seafood and this will be a chance for her to enjoy the lifestyle even more. Just gotta stay away from those biscuits.

17. Dave, RN says:

I wonder what it was that spiked your glucose so high at the Chinese place?

I consumed a small cup of rice, but I believe the sauce on my chicken was probably full of something like corn starch.

18. Amy Dungan says:

Sounds like a fantastic dinner! Wishing you a smooth transition from apartment to farm.

19. Becky says:

That’s what I keep trying to tell the bouncy-ball shaped ladies at work who are microwaving their healthy choice lunches while I eat bacon and mashed potatoes with sour cream and butter (I got a directive to eat starchy vegetables before and after a workout from my paleo training/diet coach). They insist that everyone knows bacon will make you fat. And I smile wryly and pull up my loose pants (that would be all of them except the pair I can finally fit in again after two years of not being able to wear them). I’ll toast you a glass of melted butter to fat and protein, my friend :)

I tip my glass of butter in response.

20. Bridget says:

We like to wait until they have their all you can eat shrimp special, then I eat a ton of shrimp scampi. Shrimp soaked in garlic and butter? Yes, please!

Every time I got a Chinese restaurant I always regret it. The food is just not worth how I feel afterwards.

We hit one of those all-you-can-eat shrimp specials a month or so ago. Given that one serving qualifies as “all you can” for Chareva, I had to order several skewers to get my money’s worth.

21. Firebird says:

The only time salt affects my blood pressure is when they say I can’t have any! ;)

That would raise mine.

22. C says:

@Marylin
    You were being sarcastic, right? If not take a look at several earlier salt-posts

She was being sarcastic.

23. Mark J. Cooper says:

Hi Tom,
    Long time lurker here but nary a comment.Question?How
    do you know it is “real” butter??What are the actual cooking
    practices of Red Lobster?Bottom line–Trust your own cooking,
    not a restaurant that has a bottom line to protect.Most restaurants cook with industrialized seed oils that the human
    body still does not fully recognize.
    Thanks for all you do on this blog as it is a wonderful
    service for all who take the time to read it.
    Thanks, Mark

It tastes like real butter, but I don’t know for sure.

24. What an amazing difference! What did you in at the Chinese place? Lo mein?

I had two egg rolls, a crab wonton, chicken with rice.

25. Underground says:

I’ve just about given up on eating at most Chinese places. So many of the dishes are thickened with corn starch and/or sweetened with large amounts of sugar.

That’s another concern like Mark mentioned, is what are they cooking it in? It’s probably not coconut oil or lard (not filled). And at many places you have to specifically ask for butter, and I’m still not sure they aren’t bringing out some sort of margarine.

26. Walter B says:

You have to remember that Chinese restaurants freely use sugar and salt to offset the taste of each, so one can eat a high sugar item and that doesn’t taste sweet. Or in some dishes like hot and sour soup and sweet and sour dish also vinegar to cut the sweetness of the enormous amount of sugar. Not to mention probably seed oils, although the better Chinese restaurants probably use peanut oil, because of it’s high smoke point. Now if we could get them to use lard.

There had to be hidden sugar and starch in that meal to push my glucose so high.

27. Will says:

The problem for restaurants these days is that seed oils are generally a lot cheaper than oils high in saturated fat; so they’ll opt for those oils. At least, that seems to be the case in the UK. The pub that I work for uses real butter though.

Yup, they’re cheap and they taste cheap.