When we bought the farm in July, I hoped we’d be living there in time to enjoy the autumn colors. Close, but not quite. It looks like we’ll be moving in about three more weeks. We did, however, take a trip out there today. Look at how dramatically the trees have changed in the past several weeks:

It was perfect autumn weather when we visited today:  mostly sunny, right around 60 degrees.  Great day for a stroll around the property with a camera.

The picture below shows what it looks like directly across the road from us.  We’re pretty much surrounded by big hills covered with trees, and they’re stunning this time time of year.

The house is finally starting to look close to being finished as well.  The first series of pictures below shows the progress on the basement, which will be the girls’ playroom.

The previous owner was fond of aqua blue paint.  I’m not.  Almost every wall has been painted recently and new molding has gone in.  Refinishing the floors will be the final task before we move in.

A county inspector decided early on that we needed a new septic tank (not even the guy who replaced it agreed with that analysis), which meant tearing up the front yard.  I’m pleased to report that Mother Nature (with a little help from Chareva and the girls, who spread lots of grass seed around) has already begun turning the yard green again.

I’d originally planned to throw a birthday bash shortly after moving in to celebrate.  Since my birthday is in two weeks, that won’t happen.  But we’ll be in the house in time for Thanksgiving.  And I will have much to be thankful for.

46 Responses to “The Farm Report”
  1. Tom,

Excellent visual delights, and the fall colors look like our little town in Nebraska right now. Today’s my birthday, so thanks for the treats!

Happy Birthday, James.

2. Howard says:

Uh, Tom… have I mentioned lately how jealous I am?

You plan to raise any animals?

Chickens for sure, maybe some sheep later.

3. Lynda NZ says:

I love the new place – I love the green and the peace and quiet. If we ever do a road trip through USA, I’d love to pop in and say hello. It really is funny that through reading your blog for so long I kind of feel like I know you. You were solely responsible for changing the way I look at food forever (via Fathead) and the amazing resources I have found since will, I am sure, change the rest of my life (and my husband’s) for the better. Thank you for taking the time to inform and educate.

I know you and your family will love your new life on the farm.

I love it already. If you’re ever coming through Tennessee, let me know.

4. James says:

Tom, the farm is looking great. I am sure you are really anxious to finally move in. But I wanted to give everyone a heads up as we head into the holiday period and they are thinking of ‘roasting chestnuts on the open fire…’ On our walk this morning we found a chestnut tree that had dropped hundreds of ripe chestnuts on the ground so we filled our pockets and planned to roast them. Just Don’t! I looked up the carb count…only 10 nuts will provide you with 40 net carbs! Not all ‘nuts’ are equal.

We have a couple of pecan trees on the land. No chestnuts that I know of.

5. Kelly says:

How exciting! It’s looking great. I love the fall colors! And I really like the green that you chose for the walls. Nice.

Chareva was smart enough to paint good-sized patches of several colors on the walls before choosing. Good thing, too … the first shade of lavender she chose for my office looked almost pink in the sunlight. Now it’s a darker lavender with a bit of gray in it.

6. Looks awesome, sure you will be glad to finally get settled.

7. Ellen says:

Isn’t it amazing what a good color sense and coat of paint can do? Looks great, and Happy Birthday, a little early.. :)

It’s come a loooong way since we first walked through the place. It was so dirty (and vaguely creepy, with all the burglar bars, security cameras and wires), I was ready to bolt.

8. chuck says:

somehow, i don’t think anyone is getting fat on chestnuts.

9. I love how you’re leaving the stone columns exposed in the basement. And add me to the list of jealous people who want to drop in for a visit.

If you’re coming this way, let me know.

10. Joe Lindley says:

Wow – what a way to spend Thanksgiving. Don’t get many shots like this in Texas.
    Thanks.
    …Joe…

11. Underground says:

Very nice, it’s looking good. I like the green also. I’m sure it’ll feel like home in no time.

And no reason you can’t celebrate your birthday when you want. ;-)

True. A late party is still a party.

12. Jeremy Hinkle says:

Looking very nice Tom! I was out cycling this afternoon in the general area, love this time of year! Hope things go smooth, the house is shaping up nicely.

13. Erica says:

It’s coming along nicely, Tom. You surely do have lots to be thankful for this year! Welcome home, and happy birthday. You know, you could still have a housewarming/holiday party to show off your new place.

Can’t wait till next year when you get the chickens.

Weather permitting, I’d still like to have a celebratory barbecue when we move in.

14. Galina L. says:

So beautiful! Your farm updates such a treat for your readers. Thank you, Tom!
    I noticed you have a hardwood floor that only needs refinishing. Is it oak? Great value!

Did you payed attention on Dr.Oz attempt to offer his version of vegan paleo diet and got more than a hundred oh angry responses?

I’m not sure what the wood is. The previous owner had rugs or carpets covering the wood floors, so I’m looking forward to seeing the wood when it’s cleaned and polished.

15. Firebird says:

I love that shade of green. Something soothing about it.

16. Wow, looks great! Congratulations on living your dream!

17. Wolverine says:

I appreciate the autumn images. We live in Florida and don’t really get a colorful fall. I was born and raised in maryland, so I’m no stranger to the colors. My wife is a Florida native and never had that experience. Have a great birthday! Hope you’ll be in the farm house soon.

I missed the autumn colors when we lived in L.A.

18. Leta says:

Awesome. Lovely. Congratulations to all of you.

19. Roby says:

Everyone else already said what I was thinking lol It’s a very beautiful place Tom, Congrats!

20. Txomin says:

Beautiful autumn photographs. Where are you at again?

Here in Japan, the forests are also “up in flames”. Riding my bike through the hills is pure bliss.

Franklin is about 15 miles south of Nashville.

21. Meghan says:

Wow, looks gorgeous! I was driving through the French country side the other day and the land is strikingly similar….. On a random note, something that I have been looking into for a while now, but until I watched your film I didn’t know the answer… Have you ever heard of something called the French Paradox? The French having low coronary problems although they have a diet rich in fat? I’m a little bit ticked that being here I have passed up real butter, cheese and so on in turn for whole grain bread and margarine. Oh yes, I also prided myself on, “not having red meat for three months, my heart must love me.”.. and never ate the French Cuisine because, “it must be a genetic thing, I would get fat on all that food swimming in butter, my heart would get clogged”. HELLO! Here’s a great example of the flawed Lipid Hypothesis. SO thank you for changing the way I look at food. It’s the way that my dad brought me up in Montana, deer meet and grass fed cows, milk and eggs.. Go figure, I was the most active child, always fit and thin and I’m tall, which I am pretty sure is related to the diet of my childhood. So thank you for the insight, the laugh, the peace of mind that my father in fact will not drop down from a heart attack from his fatty diet(he’s a fireman and is always in great shape), thank you for the great argument that I have for my annoying “hip” and “cool” meatless counterparts, and just thank you for going against the norm and taking your time to expose the truth. You and your movie changed my life and the way that I view nutrition, which I thought I knew a lot about. I feel like there are so many moments in my life that relate to this topic, and so many more things that make so much more sense to me now that I just want to tell you, but I will just leave it at, From the bottom of my heart, Thanks.

Sure, I’ve heard of the French Paradox:

22. Jeanne says:

I’m betting that you will be hosting a pony or two, eventually.

No ponies. They’re just expensive toys.

23. JuneBug says:

The girls are going to have a blast running around their new home. Instead of playing video games where they pretend to run and jump, they will actually be running and jumping. Any plans for a tree house or play set? I’m pretty sure you have enough room to recreate Disneyland if you wanted to.

I predict there’s a tree house in their future … although since I love my girls and don’t want them hurt in a house-falling incident, I’d probably have someone besides me build it.

24. Gary McRiddle says:

I’d also like to express how incredibly envious I am of your new home. Compared to where I am, you live in Heaven.

25. Jim says:

Looks like you’ll get in just in time to plant your winter wheat! :-)

Never! I’m afraid the USDA would start sending me subsidy checks.

26. Captain ChiliDog says:

Didn’t Chareva have to convince you that this was the right place for you guys to buy? She sure knew what she was talking about, the place is beautiful.

She did. The house was such a mess, I was ready to walk away. She saw the potential.

27. Cathy N says:

Everything looks beautiful on your farm. The fall colors are breathtaking. Could you ask Chareva what color that green is and what company? I’m getting ready to paint, and that is just beautiful.

I’ll ask her. She’s the official decorator.

28. Nickie says:

What a lovely, peaceful looking place. My aunt and uncle have a small farm in TN and LOVE it. 2 goats, chickens, rabbits, well water, fruit trees, and a veggie garden. I wish I could live there sometimes.

Summer in Texas was like liviing in hell this year. Just too stinking hot. The plants died despite spending a fortune on water for them. I am trying to convince the hubby that we need to live somewhere cooler.

I have told most of my extended family to watch FatHead. Several have done so already.

I appreciate the word-of-mouth marketing.

29. Kimji says:

Awesome Fall colors and LOVE the renovation before & after pictures. Wishing you much future happiness as you anticipate life on the homestead.

Thank you.

30. Milton says:

“When we bought the farm in July”

That is an interesting way to start the blog entry, LOL!

Great to see the progress on the home. It’s always fun and exciting to see a new space take shape like that, and the view all around is such a treat! Best of luck as they work to finish it and you guys prepare to move in.

Thank you.

31. deMuralist says:

I heard on the radio yesterday that the fall colors in the Nashville area are supposed to be at their peak the first week of November, so you hit those pictures just about perfectly!

That sounds about right. These colors really just hit this week.

32. Bridget says:

Wow! The trees are beautiful, and the green walls look amazing. This makes me want to move to Tennessee more and more.

Bolting the L.A. area for Franklin was the smartest move of my life.

33. Firebird says:

15 minutes from Nashville? Please don’t buy one of those ugly mustard colored Nashville Predators jerseys! They may as well replace the Sabre toothed tiger (or whatever it is) logo on the front with the logo for French’s Mustard. ;)

I’m not a hockey fan, so a Predators jersey isn’t a likely clothing option.

34. Gita says:

Wow! Beautiful!

35. Tom Naughton says:

Sherwin Williams Paint: Softened Green SW 6177

36. kimberly says:

I’m glad for you, but greener than your walls with envy.
    Stuck in SoCal where everything is just another shade of beige….

I miss Autumn. We are fortunate to have a couple large elm trees in the front yard, so at least there are a few leaves to scuff through. Unfortunately, our neighborhood is dominated by over-manicured postage-stamp sized lawns with owners that do NOT approve of anything so unruly as Fall leaves intruding on their domain.

Ugh. Enjoy your leaves for me!

My memories of SoCal exactly. We used to drive to Pasadena to at least see a few colorful trees.

37. mrfreddy says:

I see an outdoor kitchen in your future… nice patio, some counters, something over your head for rainy days and too-hot sunny days, a sink, a fridge, outdoor heating, two or three big green egg grills, swimming pool and hot tub nearby… well, that’s what I would build if I lived there, heh heh…

No swimming pool or hot tub, but a stone fire pit is definitely in the future plans.

38. brooke says:

Beautiful place Tom. We’ve been house-hunting lately… Makes me want to reconsider an opportunity to live in a log cabin-like house in the middle of a 100 acre farm, come Jan! If it only came with a pool table and home theater like that house we saw the other day..

Nice feng shui color btw…will attract much positive energy!

If I could afford the 100 acres, I’d do it.

39. Octavian says:

Looks like my dream. Good luck to you and yours. And happy early birthday.

Thank you.

40. Deborah M says:

those autumn leaves are stunning – i wish i had an opportunity to see vistas like those at this time of year! the farm is looking wonderful. happy for you, and a tad envious!

Thank you.

41. Bruce says:

Congratulations on the Farm Tom. I know you cant wait to move in. My Wife and I moved into our new house 7 months ago. We had several delays during construction and had to move in with my sister and her husband for 3 months before we moved in. It’s all good now. We don’t have to look at anything but trees and the fall colors are beautiful. The house is on a 4 ac lot 1 mile down a dirt road in so. MD. The nearest house to us is 1/5 mile away.

“Delays during construction” seems to be the norm, but all’s well that ends well. Congratulations on your piece of heaven as well.

42. Galina L. says:

I feel very exited when your place your farm updates. It is very beautiful. Did you found a lot of strange old objects in that old house? If you did it may be a curious display with an auction potential.

It’s more like we found a lot of old junk in the house. The previous owner wasn’t interested in taking all her stuff.

43. ailu says:

I know you are uber busy with the farm and all else you’ve got going, but if you get a chance, I’d love to hear your thoughts on the “Dutch Anti-Meat Researcher Found Guilty Of Creating Fake Study Data” posted by Jimmy:

Between this and Denise Minger’s expose of the China Study, where are these poor vegans to hide? LOL

It’s on my to-do list.

44. Debbie C. says:

Wow, it’s looking gorgeous! What a wonderful place to spend Thanksgiving. I love my new home in Florida but I sure do miss those wonderful autumn leaves (but I admit I DON’T miss things like the big snowstorm they had up at my old home last weekend!)

45. Lynn says:

Tom, I love the way the house is coming along. The grounds around it are beautiful.
    A good friend of mine , Jimmy, has four young children. He told me he cannot weigh himself because he weighs more than a scale will show. He was in our church youth group as a teenager. He watched fat head and now follows your blog. We discuss Paleo/low carb diets and recipes now. He told me a couple of weeks ago that he is down four pant sizes. Amazing! I am now down 34 pounds since Memorial Day. More than that, my 57 year old body has lost its knee pain and hip pain. My post nasel drip is gone. I threw out my blood pressure meds and allergy meds. I danced all evening at our sons wedding last weekend. I was also one of the very few sober people at the wedding. I woke up feeling fantastic. Our son served mostly Paleo food at his wedding. As I lose weight and feel so much better, my whole family is coming around. Thank you for sharing so much information here. I am Thankful for you this month…Lynn

Those are great results, Lynn. Here’s to more of them.