Even though I record all the TV shows I want to watch and skip through the commercials during playback, I’ve been half-consciously aware that pharmaceutical ads seem to dominate commercial airtime.  As I was watching a Biography Channel episode about Arnold Schwarzenegger a few days ago, it seemed as if every other commercial I skipped past was for some sort of drug.  So today, I played the episode again and tallied them.

There were 27 commercials, not counting promos for upcoming episodes on Biography.  Seven were for prescription drugs.  (There was also an ad for a cream to remove dark circles under the eyes, and one claiming that NutriSystem will help type 2 diabetes keep their blood sugar under control.)

Something is very, very wrong when a quarter of the prime-time ads on TV are directed at sick people.  And these aren’t even products you can just walk into a store and buy — you must, as the ads remind you, “talk to your doctor about …”

Here are some of the medical products I saw advertised, along with the conditions they’re intended to treat and abbreviated version of the obligatory warnings.

Advair (asthma).  May increases risk of death from complications of asthma.  May increase risk of hospitalization for asthma in children and adolescents.

Symbicort (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).  Do not take more than twice per day.  Increases risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems.

Oracea (rosacea) Side effects include stomach upset, sore throat, sinus infections.  Stay out of direct or artificial sunlight while taking.  Talk to your doctor if you’re taking blood thinners or have kidney disease, as there may be serious side effects.

Nexium (heartburn, acid reflux).  Talk to your doctor about an increased risk of osteoporosis-related bone fractures if you take multiple daily doses.  Side effects include headache, diarrhea and abdominal pain.

Fabulous.  While you’re in traction because of an osteoporosis-related femur fracture, you’ll be delighted you’re not experiencing heartburn.

Cymbalta (chronic pain, osteoarthritis)  Taking with aspirin or blood thinners may increase bleeding risk.  Severe liver problems, some fatal, were reported, as were abdominal pain and yellowing of the skin or eyes.  Dizziness or fainting may occur upon standing.  Other side effects include confusion, dry mouth and constipation. Tell your doctor if you experience unusual changes in behavior, mood swings, or thoughts of suicide, as these can increase in children, teens and young adults.

By the time the announcer finished with the long list of warnings for Cymbalta, I was laughing out loud — mostly because I was seeing all these happy-looking people going by on the screen while hearing about fatal liver problems, confusion and suicides.  Look!  We’re happy!  Or maybe we’re just confused!

I half-expected one of the happy people to face the camera and say, “Let’s see … my chronic back pain is finally gone, but I’m constipated, I have yellow eyes, I faint when I stand up, I’m confused, my belly hurts, and I my liver isn’t working anymore.  You know what?  I think I’ll kill myself.”

I’m grateful drugs exist for the people who need them.  But we shouldn’t need so many of them, and as Dr. Mary Vernon emphasized in a recent podcast interview, taking a drug to mask the symptoms of disease isn’t the same as being healthy.  We learned that lesson again (well, some of us; many doctors and researchers won’t) a few days ago when yet another drug that artificially raises HDL failed to reduce heart disease:

The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health has stopped a clinical trial studying a blood lipid treatment 18 months earlier than planned. The trial found that adding high dose, extended-release niacin to statin treatment in people with heart and vascular disease, did not reduce the risk of cardiovascular events, including heart attacks and stroke.

During the study’s 32 months of follow-up, participants who took high dose, extended-release niacin and statin treatment had increased HDL cholesterol and lowered triglyceride levels compared to participants who took a statin alone. However, the combination treatment did not reduce fatal or non-fatal heart attacks, strokes, hospitalizations for acute coronary syndrome, or revascularization procedures to improve blood flow in the arteries of the heart and brain.

The DSMB also noted a small and unexplained increase in ischemic stroke rates in the high dose, extended-release niacin group. This contributed to the NHLBI acting director’s decision to stop the trial before its planned conclusion.

Triglycerides were pushed down, HDL was pushed up, but the rate of heart disease didn’t change.  Why?  Because chemically improving the markers for health isn’t the same as improving health.  As I pointed out in a previous post, my neighbor’s grass is a beautiful shade of green because he constantly fusses over his lawn to keep it healthy.  My lawn is patchy because I don’t care about lawns.  If I paint my lawn green, that won’t make it any healthier.  Sadly, many researches just can’t seem to grasp that concept:

“As we continue to search for new approaches to treating cholesterol problems, it is important to remember the value of existing treatments. The key to treating high cholesterol so patients can reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease is to lower the level of LDL cholesterol, through well-established drug treatments such as statins and lifestyle changes,” said Patrice Desvigne-Nickens, M.D., NHLBI project officer for the AIM-HIGH trial.

Head. Bang. On. Desk.

We just saw a drug that successfully manipulates cholesterol levels fail to reduce heart disease — while slightly increasing strokes — and yet the good doctor is still promoting chemical manipulation.  By gosh, if you change the risk factors, you must be changing the actual outcomes.  Riiiiight.  Paint your lawn green, and the grass becomes healthy.

This doesn’t even provide the entertainment value of being a new story.  Some years ago, Pfizer announced it had developed a combo drug that significantly improved cardiovascular risk factors.  The early press releases were breathless:  the miracle combo boosted HDL by 44 to 66 percent, while lowering LDL by 41 to 60 percent.  Wow!

The results were somewhat less spectacular:  Pfizer had to pull the plug on a clinical trial of the combo drug three years early because people taking the combo drug had a 60% higher mortality rate.  Hmmm … maybe Mother Nature, unlike NHLBI researchers, doesn’t think it’s a good idea to chemically manipulate our production of cholesterol.

We’re going to see this story repeated at least two more times.  Merck is currently developing and testing a drug that artificially raises HDL.  And earlier this week, a reader sent me a link to this online article:

Polypill ‘halves risk of stroke and heart attack’

A new 10p-a-day ‘polypill’ containing aspirin and statins halves the risk of heart disease and stroke, according to the world’s first international trial of the drug, reported The Daily Telegraph. The news story is based on a randomised controlled trial of a polypill in 378 people who all had a slightly increased risk of vascular disease. The researchers found that people who took the polypill had improvements in their blood pressure and levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol (equivalent to a 46% reduction in cardiovascular risk) over 12 weeks, compared to those who took a dummy pill.

If you’ve seen my Science For Smart People speech, you know what “lowers your risk” actually means.  So the polypill “halves the risk” of heart disease, does it?  Whoop-ti-do.  I’ve got news for you:  Pfizer’s combo drug dramatically raised HDL and lowered LDL, which means it dramatically “lowered the risk” of heart disease for the people taking it.  The only bad news is that more of those people died.

High HDL and low triglycerides don’t confer good health.  They’re markers for good health.  Chemicals that remove the blotches from your face, beat down your elevated blood sugar, or mask the pains of heartburn and arthritis don’t eliminate the underlying imbalances that caused those conditions in the first place.

If you want real health, eat real food.  Get some real exercise and some real sleep.  You’re not going to find real health in a little brown bottle, no matter how many times you “talk to your doctor about …”

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Share/Bookmark
70 Responses to “All Those Little Brown Bottles …”
  1. “Look! We’re happy! Or maybe we’re just confused!”

That’s great, Tom! Keep up the good work.

I’ll never stop. The nutritionists, doctors, government busybodies and drug companies keep providing me with too much material.

2. After reading the article, I am quite convinced that we are just digging a deeper hole for ourselves. First, we CAUSE all of these problems by ingesting things the human body has not evolved for, then we further abuse our bodies with all these chemical medicines in an attempt to correct what we’ve done to ourselves.

Oy.

We should just admit that low fat diets and lots of carbs are bad for us and try to eat right. But instead we are still digging our own graves.

Money.

3. Drew says:

I am still learning! Ugh!

4. Peggy Cihocki says:

I think it’s a crime that drug companies are allowed to advertise directly to the consumer at all. I read “Selling Sickness” and I agree that that turns many basically healthy people into patients–great for Big Pharma and doctors, not so great for the people who needlessly suffer side effects of drugs they actually don’t need and wouldn’t even know about except for the commercials that peddle them on TV. Sickening!

5. Justin McCullough says:

Off topic I know but the new gov food guide is out. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/ says to increase fruits and veg, and make sure your grains are at least half “whole”. Also if you drink milk make sure there isn’t any fat in it. I’m kinda surprised there isn’t a little brown circle to the left for “medications/vitamins”…maybe that bullet would read “Check with your doctor to see if you could benefit from a statin or other breakthrough drug from big pharma.

LOL. I think that little area for drugs will have to appear on my version of the plate.

6. Sif says:

One of my good friends sometimes sends me US cake shows, commercials included. The huge number of medical ads really surprised me the first time I saw them. It’s not even legal to advertise prescription drugs here. I vividly remember an antidepressive drug, with this happy woman prancing around while the voice over vent on and on “no proven effect depression. May cause stroke and kidney failure and suicide and sudden death and… and… and..”. Why was this drug even legal?

And diet is consistently dismissed as a factor. But if you pump canola oil in your car instead of gas, then chances are it won’t run – not even if you talk to your doctor about…

I saw one recently for an anti-depressant that enhances the effects of the anti-depressants you’re already taking. Yup, a drug to make another drug more effective. Side effects included suicide.

7. Anthony says:

Since Justin brought up “choose my plate” I thought you guys might like to know that somebody remixed the “Choose My Plate” imagery to fit a paleo lifestyle: http://i.imgur.com/nxLug.jpg

Now you’re talking.

8. kat says:

Tom said – It always seemed odd to me that people would go to their doctors and suggest which drug they should be prescribed, but I guess it happens. The pharmaceutical manufacturers aren’t going to buy up 1/4 of the ad time for no reason.

this – exactly! are not the doctors the ones that went to med school so that they might know stuff?? I HATE the drug commercials! the ones for depression are .. soo… DEPRESSING! and, yes, it is a business. they are not there to help us, or because the CARE about us. it’s a multi-million dollar biz.

when they list the side-effects – I say – Crap, I’d rather have the “problem.”

I say to everyone – if a doctor could fix your issues by telling you to take walks and drink more water – there is NO money in that. so, they write a RX. they don’t even ASK what you are eating or anything. nada. it’s wrong.

thanks, Tom – again, you are right on.

kat

There’s no patent on taking a walk and eating real food. That’s why those aren’t prescribed.

9. Elsie Hogfat says:

I believe advertising of prescription drugs is not legal in Australia.

10. Sean says:

Big Pharma sucks, for the same reason that the American car industry sucks, massive government distortion of the market. Except that the distortion has been much worse in the drugs industry. Drug companies try to make drugs that eliminate the symptoms caused by the crap that passes for SAD, a diet created and propagated the US Government and the government granted monopoly, the AMA (“a doctors’ cartel that has controlled the medical labor market in the U.S. like its personal fiefdom for a century”-Shikha Dalmia). Blaming Big Pharma for the proliferation of statins and statin ads is like blaming cholesterol for heart disease or blaming fire hydrants for causing fires.

And just as trying to artificially lower blood cholesterol with statins is idiotic, so is the idea of banning pharmaceutical advertising–not to mention the violation of free speech–it would be simply attacking the symptom not the cause. More statist control of health–banning pharma ads–is not the solution, it is what got us into this mess in the first place.

What is much more insidious than advertising are things like slanted journalism from supposedly neutral and reputable news sources like the NY Times (ie Jane Brody). Everyone with an IQ over 70 knows that commercials are created by a vested interest, but how many people who read a regurgitated CSPI press release in their favorite newspaper know that CSPI is a vegan pressure group?

People have a responsibility to find out for themselves, especially in this day and age when it is so easy to do so. I research everything my family might consider ingesting: antibiotics, analgesics, etc. Anyone who doesn’t do so deserves the consequences.

Sorry for the long post, but Big Pharma bashing is something of a bête noire for me.

I agree. The ads aren’t the problem. They’re a symptom. Banning them is like masking a disease with a drug.

11. Kim Øyhus says:

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

It is obvious from your blog that you understand this.

I got tired of explaining to arrogant idiots why this is true,
    so I made this proof to prove it:

Of course the arrogant idiots go on denying the proof,
    thus evidencing that they are arrogant and idiots.

Other people however have thanked me for proving something
    useful they felt was right, but were not certain about.

May it be useful to you too.

Well done.

12. Nicci says:

I’ve found when I’m driving it stresses me out when I see that the warning light on my dashboard has come on to the engine is overheading and I’m about to run out of petrol.

I have a great solution. I put a sticker on the dashboard that hides the warning light and has a picture of a full tank of petrol. I’m happy because everything looks ok. And because everything looks ok, it means everything will be fine and I can keep on driving as much as I like :)

Brilliant! If auto mechanics and doctors switched jobs …

13. Pat says:

Nexium -I took it for two years straight. When you are taking Nexium you don’t have heartburn, you have GERD (Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease) and it is extremely painful. The lining of the esophagus is being damaged. Fortunately I read Protein Power, went low carb and have been almost totally off Nexium with no pain. Occasionally it flares up and I take one Nexium, and that takes care of me for the next several months.
    Some people truly do need the various meds, as you know. A friend of mine was in a car accident years ago. She is on Nexium as well, because of that accident. She is on lower doses since she eats low-carb, but she still needs it.
    I am old enough to remember when it was illegal to advertise prescription drugs on TV (Canada, not sure if we started before or after the U.S.). But I think people ask for drugs more now that they see the ads. And people ask for antibiotics more as well,which is leading to more drug-resistant bacteria. Not a good long-term situation.
    Well, I’m off to breakfast, bacon and eggs and coffee with cream. I love my eggs, they are from hens who run around in a sheep barn.
    Pat Hennesey

Sure, some people are damaged beyond repair and really and truly need the drugs.

14. Tammy says:

Tom, Clearly you are not watching enough Golf Channel or you would see that 95% of the advertisements are for pharmaceuticals. Obviously, the folks watching the Biography Channel are just a little healthier than the folks watching the Golf Channel since they require less drug advertising.

I assume the older the audience demographic, the more ads for prescription drugs.

15. Mark. Gooley says:

I thought Cymbalta was an anti-depressant — but there are so many ads that I’m not surprised if you got confused. Maybe the Biography Channel is atypical and has more drug ads than most, but I suspect it’s about typical for a cable/satellite channel, judging from my limited TV viewing.

I know someone taking Nexium who was just diagnosed with osteoporosis, and now I can warn her that it could be making matters worse — so thanks for repeating those lists of side-effects.

The commercial I saw was promoting it for pain. Apparently it’s quite the wonder drug. From WebMD:

“Duloxetine is used to treat depression and anxiety. In addition, duloxetine is used to help relieve nerve pain (peripheral neuropathy) in people with diabetes or ongoing pain due to medical conditions such as arthritis, chronic back pain, or fibromyalgia (a condition that causes widespread pain).”

16. DoctorSH says:

I am working on my on plates for my practice. It still amazes me that people will listen to politicians as if they are experts on nutrition.

The first lady? What are her nutritional qualifications?
    Secretary of agriculture? He works for the farmers that lobbied for the plate.
    Surgeon general? At least she is a doc, but I doubt she had much nutrition training in med school.

Eat real food, and only when you are hungry, and til your satisfied, not full!

It makes me wonder if Barack is still smoking. He supposedly quit, then started again. Perhaps the first lady should mind her own family’s health first, then worry about mine.

17. Laurie says:

I recommend ‘Overdo$ed America’ by John Abramson. And a great movie with Tim Allen “Joe Somebody”. There are several really funny scenes with Pharma ads running in the background. Patrick Warburton is in it, and Jim Belushi too.
    On a sad a scarier note. Have you read this?
    Top Ten Legal Drugs Linked to Violence
    By Maia Szalavitz Friday, January 7, 2011

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/01/07/top-ten-legal-drugs-linked-to-violence/#ixzz1ODKPnrBg

I’m relieved to see that TIME magazine immediately cautioned that this is just an association. The people who take these drugs may simply have more mental problems to begin with. I’m current reading “Anatomy of An Epidemic,” which so far (maybe a quarter into the book) makes it clear that while all these wonder drugs for mental illness have been coming along and being prescribed like crazy, rates of mental illness have been going up.

18. Linda says:

“my neighbor’s grass is a beautiful shade of green because he constantly fusses over his lawn to keep it healthy. My lawn is patchy because I don’t care about lawns.”

Thank you so much for this! While visiting with my neighbors recently, we got into a discussion about lawn “health”, they were contemplating the purchase of a riding mower and buying more damned chemicals to kill off those pesky dandelions, etc. I opened my mouth and remarked that if Americans directed the billions of dollars spent on lawn care toward a cure for cancer, we would all be better off. I received that “look”, you know, “crazy neighbor” look! My lawn is a patchy mess and I JUST DON’T CARE.

To me, a lawn is a nice place to go toss a frisbee with my girls or practice chip shots. I don’t care if it’s all the same shade of green.

19. Elenor says:

Tom, have you read the last chapter of Uffe Ravinskov’s “Ignore the Awkward”? He postulates (quite fantastically!) that a vulnerable plaque is actually a pustule, a boil, on the endothelium of the arteries! The LDL inside the plaque, he writes, if filled with bacteria and viruses and bits and pieces swept up in, essentially (and I may be reporting this badly) the LDL’s (normal, intended, appropriate) CLEANING operation (“Ah’m jes’ doin’ mah job, m’am!”). And, just like a boil, the pustule is full of white blood cells (pus) and when it bursts, it releases its yucky stuff into the artery, which is not good.

This, of course, immediately ties atherosclerosis directly to inflammation — he suggests bacterial and viral ‘starting causes’ for much of the difficulty. Truly a novel and fascinating idea (and, of course, he presents it WAY more clearly than I have just done…)

Yup, I’ve read it. It is novel, and time will tell if he’s correct. At least I hope time will tell.

20. PrimeNumbers says:

“Make at least half your grains whole grains.” – sure, I eat no gains and ALL of them are whole!

So it’s okay to fill half of the “grain” section of the plate with white flour. Oh yeah, that’ll help a lot.

21. Ailu says:

And it’s not just TV either. Recently I took my Momma to the Dr. While waiting I grabbed a popular woman’s magazine. I started noticing the disproportionate amount of pharma ads in it, so decided to count. There was almost 30 pages dedicated. In a 100 page magazine. Unbelievable!

Not only did I notice this, but then looked up to see all the pens, clipboards and posters on the wall had pharma ads on them. I suddenly felt like I was in an episode of Patrick McGoohan’s “The Prisoner”. Yikes.

It would be an interesting project to determine how much of the total advertising space and airtime these days is purchased by Big Pharma.

22. Jim Anderson says:

“. . . chemically improving the markers for health isn’t the same as improving health.” I like your “green lawns” analogy to illustrate this point. I am also reminded of “teaching to the test.” If students do well on a standardized test, it doesn’t mean they are educated or able in the general sense. It could just mean they were effectively drilled on taking that particular test — that the test mainly tests how well a person does on the test. Again, it’s markers being assumed to represent an underlying condition that they may or may not.

Good analogy. Giving statins is, of course, prescribing to the test — in this case, a lipid panel.

23. Jan says:

Even before I learned that grains, sugar, soy and industrial seed oils were the cause of obesity and other diseases of civilization I was extremely leery of all these “wonder drugs,” and for the same reason you’ve stated here: anything that has a longer list of risks than of benefits simply cannot be good for you.

I’m plugging both speeches and Fat Head on my blog today, btw: http://www.janssushibar.com/?p=11052

As always, I appreciate the plugs.

24. John Hunter says:

The pharmaceutical commercials remind me of the Saturday Night Live “Happy Fun Ball” toy commercial. About 5 seconds of “kids” playing with the ball and about 2 minutes of warnings and disclaimers.

My favorite drug commercial i’ve seen recently is for a new ADHD drug marketed for children between 8 and 12 (i’m pretty sure that was the ages.) The lady talks about how she just knew her kid had ADHD. That’s all good, but in the warnings at the end of the commercial it says while taking the drug, you should not operate heavy machinery! I don’t really think kids should operate heavy machinery anyway, but definitely not when they take this drug.

LOL. Did they also warn the kids not to drive while taking the drug?

25. Ailu says:

I do believe in the benefits of taking supplements, tho. Especially since most diseases seem to be related to deficiencies. I became ill with meningitis 5 years ago, and my energy level was never the same after that. But when I started taking alpha lipid acid, the chronic fatigue I’d lived with went away for good.

Also after reading that diurectics can cause Thiamine deficiency and that in turn can cause heart disease, I encouraged my feeble heart-disease bed-ridden mother who had taken diuretics for years to start taking Thiamin. That was last year. At present, she’s 72, no longer sick, and is now working at curves.

I take some vitamins too. I consider them more like eating for health, getting the nutrients that are often missing from our foods these days because of how the soil has been depleted.

26. Auntie M says:

We’ve gotten rid of cable, and use Hulu, Netflix, and DVDs for our TV viewing these days. I hate commercials! We would DVR our shows, but sometimes watched the commercials. We saw an ad for Abilify, a drug for bi-polar disorder. One of the side effects was “increased risk of sudden death”. I had to pause, ask my husband, “Wait…did they say INCREASED RISK OF SUDDEN DEATH?????”, and go back to listen again. Yep. Sudden. Death. Well, sign me up for TWO prescriptions for that one!

Kind of like taking a drug to relieve your pain, but risking a fatal liver problem.

27. RB says:

Just out of curiosity, are you implicating the combo of Niacin and statins, or also implying that Niacin alone is problematic?

As you know, Dr. Davis is a big fan of extended release Niacin and I would tend to think that he’s had enough patients that he’s put on the stuff that he would notice if there’s a problem.

Now, regarding the comment that “High HDL and low triglycerides don’t confer good health. They’re markers for good health,” I agree with the HDL part of the comment, but I think it’s different with Triglycerides.

28. Digger says:

“Advair (asthma). May increases risk of death from complications of asthma. May increase risk of hospitalization for asthma in children and adolescents.”

I LOL’d at that one. So if you have asthma, and you take it, it could cause asthma, so you would therefor need to take it again? Unless you die. Brilliant!

I know. I sit there shaking my head, wondering why anyone is buying this.

29. Lori says:

Acid blockers like Nexium are expensive: $90 a month unless you’re getting them from Canada. They can also cause acid rebound, even in subjects who never had acid reflux. When I quit them last year, I went through a rough few months anytime I ate more than a tiny amount of carbohydrate. OTOH, it acted as Anabuse and horsewhipped me into forming a strict low-carb, grain-free, fruit-free eating habit.

Last year, I told the mother of one of my friends that a low-carb diet would cure acid reflux. My friend tells me she still eats bread and still has reflux. I just can’t imagine paying for acid blockers and risking the side effects for toast.

On a happier note, my food plate is on my blog.

Now that’s a food plate I could happily recommend.

30. Rick Knowles says:

Your Fat Head movie was the tipping point for me to research better nutrition and to get my eating habits back in line. I’ve dropped 24 pounds using the slow-carb diet from Tim Ferriss’ 4 Hour Body and set a number of personal bests in running and Crossfit recently. And, thanks to Dr. Lustig’s lecture about the toxicity of fructose, I’m currently 3 weeks into a personal experiment to go sugar-free for the summer to see if I can eliminate taking gout medication. After watching Lustig, I thought to myself: If fructose increases uric acid production which leads to gout aggravation in people like me, what would happen if I stopped taking in sugar? Could I eliminate taking a daily medication that limits uric acid production? Makes more sense to cut off the disease at the source than it does to take a drug to support a poor nutritional habit. Keep up the great work!

Exactly. The best treatment is to not need treatment.

31. john says:

Those commercials are pretty much people galavanting around in nice weather while a narrator goes through a long list of side effects. As you noticed, the Cymbalta one is especially ridiculous.

The contrast between the smiling faces and the list of awful side-effects was so striking, it almost seemed like a parody of a commercial.

32. B W says:

“That’s what makes this all so tragic. Look at the side-effects for Nexium, and then consider that a whole lot of people swallowing it could eliminate gastric reflux by giving up grains and sugar.”

I hope you’re right. I’ve had problems with acid reflux for a long long time, usually controllable by tums.. however a while back I was eating them waay too much. I went on an H2 blocker, no luck..tried an OTC PPI and that helped immensely. I’m off all that now, and doing okay but end up using tums 2-3 times a day still. I’m hoping the weight I’m dropping with lo-carb (a bit over a pound a week at this point) will help the last of it.

Keeping my fingers crossed on that… didn’t expect a miracle but woulda been nice ;-)

And keep up the good work.

I wish we could line up all these ‘doctors’, get everyone in the world in a huge line walking by them and slapping the crap outta ‘em… by the time that’s done (what… 1000 years?) maybe they will learn something.

They’ll just prescribe pain meds to each other after we’re done slapping them. I think you’ll find this interesting:

33. HW says:

If someone figures out a way to package up a wheat free/ low carb diet as a beauty product for dark under eye circles, they could make a killing… it’s by far the most effective dark under eye circle treatment there is, and over the years I’ve tried ALL the creams, concealers, and home remedies….I thought it was genetic. Nothing else has ever gotten rid of them the way that changing my diet has.

I see these commercials go by and think to myself over and over, “Diet would fix that. And that. And that. And that …”

34. Carolyn says:

Is this a cry for help?

Dr. Ornish is so talented at spinning a story, he should’ve been a trial lawyer or a political consultant. This sentence made me jump out of my chair:

“But things get very different when you try to raise HDL levels, whether by diet or by drugs.”

Brilliant. He took the failure of a drug that raises HDL and magically connected it to raising HDL through diet, despite not being able to name a single study in which raising HDL through diet produced a rise in heart disease. He did that, of course, because eating saturated fat raises your HDL.

35. Firebird says:

I have suffered from depression all my life. Diagnosed when I was 10. I’m now 46. Not one single drug has ever alleviated, or rid me of the problem, probably because I didn’t have a Lexipro deficiency.

I’ve been reading up on Niacinamide as a good supplement for arthritis. It also happens to reduce cholesterol. And adding lecithin to the diet (on top of what you already get from eggs) will help flush out any cholesterol in the arteries, unclogging any potential blockages. Each cost $5 at the Vitamin Shoppe.

36. Sara says:

I have a co-worker who, after making a self diagnosis for neuropathy, called his doctor and asked to be put on Lyrica, the doctor obliged him, and now he sits at his desk complaining about the side effects (from the drug he essentially prescribed for himself).
    Of course he is also taking 3 different blood pressure medications plus statins for his “high cholesterol”.

I loaned him a copy of Fathead in December and when he gave it back to me all he had to say was, “Do you really believe that?”
    I guess he would rather believe in magic pills and drink his bottles of Ensure for breakfast because he is too sick to eat most of the time.

Good grief. I wonder how doctors feel when patients come in and ask for a specific drug.

37. timmah says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who watches pharmaceutical commercials and wonders why anyone would talk to their doctors about the possible side effects.

I’m ecstatic that I won’t have to have those conversations with my doctor. My last blood panel had LDL and overall cholesterol “below expected range”.

/I wasn’t limiting my carbs, but I was burning them off with the help of a bicycle…

I don’t talk to my doctor about anything. We moved here two years ago and my wife and I still haven’t bothered finding a GP. The girls go to a pediatrician for checkups, and that’s pretty much it.

38. Misty says:

Most my teenager life I was depressed, but aren’t most of us. But i wasn’t depressed all year round, and all the doctors wanted to shove meds at me and I didn’t want them, too many side affects, even at the age of 17 i knew these were not ok, and not right for me. a few years later when I was 25 i was training for the Portland marathon and in the middle of summer i felt very depressed, i was also eating low fat food. and after trying a few doctors I found one that was willing to do blood work to see if there was something else going on. and behold i had a vitamin D deficiency, which causes seasonal depression, a common miss diagnosed problem in the are I live, Oregon. It was so Bad i was put on prescription strength vitamin D, yes they have that! I have never felt so great in my life! and up until finding your movie, I was on that. now all I take is a normal over the counter womens multi vitamin and eating a high fat low carb diet! and here this year in Oregon we’ve had record breaking rain fall and I have been just fine, have hardly felt depressed, thanks to you and what you do! keep up the great work.

I can’t help but wonder if seasonal disorders reflect a vitamin D deficiency as we spend less time outdoors.

39. RB says:

“I haven’t looked at any studies of Niacin alone. I agree with Dr. Vernon that low triglycerides are a marker for low and steady glucose levels. We’ve yet to see a study that I’m aware of in which pushing down triglycerides with a drug produces any benefits.”

Okay, I see regarding triglycerides what you are saying. I agree with that.
    I based my comments on this primarily:

I don’t think there are any formal double-blind studies regarding Niacin. Probably never will be given it’s such a generic vitamin. It (and any other non-patentable compound) will always be combine with junk like statins, which will screw up the results.

As usual, great read.

That’s how I’m interpreting it. Mixing Niacin with a statin is like mixing it with poison, as far as I’m concerned.

40. Tom, seen this? Hilarious. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZPZG92iYE4

As my daughter might put it, I am SOOO posting that!

41. Picky says:

Earlier this week I pulled a muscle in my back when a 300+lb patient fell on me. I went to the doctor, and they were shocked when they found out that I, a 37 year old, am not on any medications. I guess most people are.

And I agree with your comments regarding all of those commercials, but what about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqRyv8abWR4

That’s right, it’s a prescription medication to make your eyelashes longer.

Oh, lordy. Wait … if I spread it on my head, will I grow more hair?

42. Mike says:

We’re doing the same thing to ourselves that BigAgra does to cattle – ingest food that you’re not meant to eat, creating a whole host of issues, which results in a whole host of antibiotics and medication to treat those issue. Not to mention tha taking more than one medication causes interaction issues, which results in more medications.

However, the cattle are at slaughter weight in record time [~14 months]…akin to what was adult onset diabetes now being type 2 – because kids are getting obese/diabetic in record time!

I like how you ended the article – real food, real exercise, real sleep.

Keep up the good work Tom!

Thank you, I will.

43. Stacie says:

“I don’t talk to my doctor about anything.” I love it!! That is exactly how I feel. I do not understand why some of the people reading this blog even have their blood lipids checked. What is the point? We know that the Lipid Hypothesis is nonsense, so why put yourself in a position where you might have to have a “conversation” with your doctor about your levels.

I pay attention to lipid panels only to check my HDL and Triglyceride levels. Again, good levels don’t confer health, but they’re a sign your diet is where it needs to be.

44. Trenton says:

Tom, you missed my FAVORITE two, (I guess because they didn’t come on TV when you were watching.

Lovaza: “Along with diet is clinically proven to lower ‘very high triglycerides’ in adults, but has not been shown to prevent heart attacks or strokes” (LMAO, where do I sign up?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Fa1ufE454

Uloric: Supposed to help lower Uric acid… “A small number of heart attacks, strokes, and heart related deaths were seen in studies. It is not certain Uloric caused them.” REALLY? And the FDA approved this mess? (unfortunately, you have to go to the offical uloricfirstlook site to see this commercial, was pulled from youtube.)

I had the same reaction when the fine print in Crestor ads admitted that Crestor hasn’t been shown to prevent heart attacks. Then what the @#$% is the point of taking it?

45. Dave, RN says:

The incessant pharma commercials are one of the things that disgusts me to be a part of such a hopelessly broken system. It just kills me to see people that could see so much improvement in their lives just by stopping eating crap. But that means stopping what their doctor is telling them what to do (if you are a cardiac patient then the first order of the day is to go on a low cholesterol, low fat diet).

From a governmental and corporate standpoint, shoving drugs at problems will never change, because the lust for more profits and satisfying shareholders will never change.

The best that can be done is letting people know, in whatever circles you operate in, the truth about diet and exercise and their connection to our health. People like you and Mark Sisson, and many other bloggers who are getting the truth out there are doing a great service, saving lives even. Keep it up!

I feel the same way about the medical establishment’s advice as I do about the USDA’s: we can’t get them to change their minds, but we can work at making them irrelevant.

46. Pat says:

For Rick Knowles
    Good luck with the uric acid and no sugar – when I went low-carb (I know, sample size = 1) not only did I go off the Nexium as my GERD disappeared, but my uric acid levels went from high normal to low normal and the soreness in my fingers and toes (incipient gout?) went away. Good luck.

47. darMA says:

I hate all those drug commercials and usually check out what’s on other channels while they’re on. However, one night I saw one for a drug for restless leg syndrome that had me laughing out loud. One of the possible side effects was “an increase in women’s libido”. I said, gee, they’ve thought of everything! Something to do with your restless legs if it doesn’t really work all that well!!

There’s some good pillow talk for you: “Honey, feel like shaking a leg with me?”

48. Joe says:

Tom,

I’m sure you’ve seen it, but I was wondering if you were looking into posting about the recommended myplate. Looking at choosemyplate.gov, I have found a few things that I find interesting (or more bluntly, just dumb). So, here are the recommendations for a 6 ft 4, 230 lb 23 yr old in order to lose weight.

Daily amounts:
    10 ounces of grains
    3.5 cups of vegetables (1 cup of which should be starchy vegetables)
    2.5 cups of fruit
    3 cups of dairy
    7 ounces of protein food

In addition, each section has tips to help you. Here are a few of those.

“Buy fruits that are dried, frozen, and canned (in water or 100% juice) as well as fresh, so that you always have a supply on hand.” Aparently, the amount of sugar doesn’t matter, just avoid the fruits in syrup and you’ll be fine.

“If you usually drink whole milk, switch gradually to fat-free milk, to lower saturated fat and calories. Try reduced fat (2%), then low-fat (1%), and finally fat-free (skim).”
    “Add fat-free or low-fat milk instead of water to oatmeal and hot cereals.” So, get less of the brain feeding fat and more of the sugars in milk, that’ll help you out!

And finally, the protein section. Wow, here we go.
    “Trim away all of the visible fat from meats and poultry before cooking.”
    “Drain off any fat that appears during cooking.”
    “Choose extra lean ground beef. The label should say at least “90% lean.” You may be able to find ground beef that is 93% or 95% lean.”

So that’s it. And, as a side note, Americans are so stupid, that we must visibly see our portion sizes on a plate in order to understand how to eat food.

Same old nonsense. They’ve managed to convince themselves that the Food Pyramid failed to make us leaner and healthier because we couldn’t understand it, not because it was based on flawed advice from the get-go.

49. What I find most maddening is how ads always say “You’ve tried diet. You’ve tried exercise. But it just wasn’t enough…” And you know that A) the diet they tried was crap, the exact opposite of what they need, B) the exercise probably consisted of Chronic Cardio, and C) the measures they’re talking about are relatively meaningless anyway…

Yup, it’s like saying, “You tried wishful thinking. You tried sacrificing small animals in the garage. But it just wasn’t enough …”

50. Paul Eilers says:

When it comes to your health, there is no magic bullet.

Or in this case, a magic pharmaceutical pill.

Folks need to wake up, take charge of their own health and start thinking for themselves.

We are living in the Internet and Information Age, for goodness sakes.

The good news is that more of us are doing exactly that.