Weekend Bonus: Hulu, Viewer Stories

102 Comments on Weekend Bonus: Hulu, Viewer Stories

When I do that Hulu that I do so well …

I’m not sure why, but Fat Head has surged in popularity on Hulu again.  I received notification yesterday that the film was ranked #1 most popular in the documentary category, and #3 in all movies.  Outstanding.  I know most of you have already seen it, but for U.S. residents who haven’t, I’m embedding the link below.

Hometown Boy Does Well

A resident of Springfield, Illinois, where I spent most of my school years and where my family still lives, posted a Fat Head success story on his blog.  Here are some quotes:

Back in early March Angie and I stumbled upon a documentary called Fat Head on Netflix streaming … Angie and I found the results of the film, and the revelations about nutrition, intriguing.

We began studying up on low carb nutrition. We found the reasoning to be sound, but the only way to know for sure was to try it ourselves and see what happened. So about five weeks ago Angie and I started our low carb diets (with additional research we are slowly converting to a paleo diet, but that is for another post), and the results have been phenomenal. In the last five weeks we have both lost over ten pounds, and over three inches from around the waist. There has been a tremendous upswing in both our attitudes and energy levels. In fact, I’ve found myself with so much energy I’ve been walking three miles or more a day just to get rid of it.

But that’s not the best part.

The best part is that Andy is a type 2 diabetic who found that changing his diet allowed him to get his glucose under control.  You can read the rest of his story on his blog.

Way to go Andy!  On one my future trips home to Springfield, let’s take our wives out to dinner together.

Can we please stop scaring the kids now?

I received this email a couple of days ago:

Several months ago, my daughters and I watched “Supersize Me” together. Little did I know, that video had a dramatic effect in my 12-year-old. She was probably already close to developing anorexia (My wife and I had been knocking fast food, fat America, bad food corps. etc for several years by then – if that plays any role), but she states that the feeling some foods were poison, and that she would die if she even consumed a small amount, definitely took hold right after the viewing. Her 5’6″ frame dropped to 115 before we realized what was going on. I’d try to make her eat something extra and high in calories, but she would cry and panic.

We had been working with her for several weeks, keeping her weight from dropping further, but we weren’t making much progress with her perspectives on food, until we watched your documentary together last week. She held her head in disbelief throughout, and asked me if what she just watched was true. I assured her I would investigate it myself. She asked if we could watch it again, and this time she wanted to take notes.

Later in the week, she started eating foods like meat and cheese, without putting up her usual fight. She dumped her oatbran for eggs and Spam for breakfast (she use to love Spam when she was younger – we always told her ‘that stuff will kill you’). She’s now asking for more chances to eat when we’re out and about; that’s the real shocker.

It’s too early to say that video cured her, but it certainly made a bigger impression on her than I did (and undid the damage from the earlier video). You changed the eating habits of my entire family, for the better – thanks again! Keep up the good fight.

In another exchange of emails, the father told me his daughter had also been obsessing over her BMI.  That’s one of the many reasons I’m against governments requiring schools to measure and report BMI scores for students.  (The biggest reason being that it’s none of their flippin’ business.)  The last thing we need is the federal government telling kids they’re too fat, then recommending low-fat, calorie-restricted, grain-based diets as the cure.  Lord only knows how many eating disorders will result.

Kids need real food with plenty of natural fats.  If that’s what we feed them, their appetites will handle the rest.  Scaring them is both pointless and counterproductive.

102 thoughts on “Weekend Bonus: Hulu, Viewer Stories

1. Galina L.

Congratulations, Tom!
    I read first about your movie popularity on Hulu on the Jimmy Moore’s blog, went to your blog to sent my greetings, and you already had the post about it! I think it is as important for a comedian to send a message about right nutrition, as it is important for doctors and scientists to work on convincing everybody who may listen . Not everybody is up to reading GCBC. It is especially true for children .
    Yesterday I tried to watch the rerun of the Dr.Oz episode about different diets for different body types.I heard some people got inspired by that episode to try LC, and decided to see it. He invited some very bossy lady with PhD in nutrition to do the presentation. First was low-carb diet for apple-shaped people. The nutritionist’s plan included wheat in every one of main three meals of the day. Breakfast – omelet with veggies + couple of whole wheat toasts, lunch – salad with salmon (red meat if a poison) and some stupid crackers, dinner – whole grain pasta with meatballs and marinara souse.. I switched TV of, And I thought about, how did it happened that a comedian knows about nutrition more than somebody with a PhD in nutrition? Since it is the case, Tom, you are qualified by the low of human logic to speak about the subject, save adult and children from food misinformation and do a great public service by doing that.

I suppose what worked for me was not going into the research phase with my opinions already shaped by a degree in nutrition.

2. Lori

Yikes–a 5′-6″ 115-pound girl doesn’t need to lose any weight. I’m glad she got on the right track.

Likewise. I hope she stays on the right track, too.

3. Galina L.

Congratulations, Tom!

4. Brandon

I hate reading through the comments on Hulu. It drives me absolutely crazy. There are so many people that either don’t watch or watch with a closed mind. I don’t understand how anyone can come away saying it was “poorly researched” or “full of lies”. It really gets me when they say you were funded by fast food companies. I’m pretty sure it would have been a hollywood production if it had been paid for by fast food companies.

Oh and well done on being at the top! This movie is what got me started in the low carb direction. I’ve just started Good Calories, Bad Calories and am loving it. Thanks you for making this movie.

The Hulu comments don’t drive me crazy because I never read them. Same with reviews on Amazon, Netflix or IMDB. I knew before the film was released it would cause temper-tantrums among the low-fat/vegan/McDonald’s-hating crowd, and I don’t see any point in pouring their venom into my brain, which has better things to think about.

5. Walter

Congratulations! Hope Fat Head continues to do well.

Mixed results here for the “this is what we are up against file” good that this article is published by the BBC news, bad that it has the usual quotes “diet not sustainable”.

The study, published in journal PLoS ONE, showed a “ketogenic diet” could reverse damage caused to tubes in the kidneys by too much sugar in the blood.

The researchers at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York used mice with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

Once kidney damage had developed, half the mice were put onto the ketogenic diet for eight weeks.

The highly controlled diet, which is 87% fat, mimics the effect of starvation and should not be used without medical advice.

After eight weeks the researchers noted that kidney damage was reversed.

Professor Charles Mobbs, who led the research at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, said: “Our study is the first to show that a dietary intervention alone is enough to reverse this serious complication of diabetes.”

It’s encouraging news, but I also agree with the doctor who said we’d need clinical trials on humans.

6. Lori

Likewise. I hope she stays on the right track, too.

7. Ashley

@Chris Crosby

I e-mailed the link to my science teacher, who showed us Super Size Me and taught us about the governments idea of proper nutrition. Oh, gosh, I hope I don’t get in trouble!!!!!! I used a fake name but still…
    I also posted it to my facebook page, so hopefully that’ll help spread the news too.

8. Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat Pe

I just forwarded that first link to my parents. My father is Type 2 diabetic. He’s been following doctors’ advice for 20 years with no change in his weight or bloodwork. My mother — she’s the one who does the cooking, so she’s in charge of compliance — has finally decided to try what I’ve been telling them for several years. Fingers crossed …

Let’s hope they stick to it. Any chance they’d read Dr. Parker’s book? It’s pretty convincing.

9. Brandon

10. Amy

I first saw fathead on netflix and I’ve been lo carb ever since, about 2 months now, I havent lost much weight but something very surprising happend. I have been lactose intollerant for 15 years and since I went low carb I can have all the dairy I want with no problem. Have you seen this before? I don’t get the shakes when I’m hungry and dont feel tired a 4 like I used to.

That’s a new one on me. Perhaps some kind of interaction between the dairy and the carbs?

11. Walter

Congratulations! Hope Fat Head continues to do well.

After eight weeks the researchers noted that kidney damage was reversed.

12. Tim

Well done Tom! I really appreciate having your blog and youtube posts to refer my Personal Training Clients to. Big Fat Fiasco is the absolute eye opener for my clients to really open their minds to the low carb idea. I have also found a Gary Taubes presentations on youtube with so many examples of hormonal wieght issues in iscolated cultures as a back up (if ever required).

I am so passionate about spreading the word- the real meaning of healthy nutrition. I am planing a weekly meeting group for women wanting to lose weight/tone up. Heck I’m going to do it for FREE to really help these people. I find it difficult to present this nutritional advice without scientific references. Where do you get your information from? It would be great do use clinical studies for high fat vs low fat

I’ve got a gazillion bookmarks, plus I look up studies referenced in books. The latest Atkins book (A New Atkins For a New You) actually has some pretty current research referenced.

13. Ashley

@Chris Crosby

14. Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People

15. Amy

16. Tim

17. Dianne

I wonder if many eating disorders are caused by a high carb diet. I can’t imagine binge-eating on what I eat now (meat, fat, veges and nuts), although I’ve been know to binge (in the distant past) on ice cream and cookies.

It must make you feel very good (as it should) that you are making a difference in peoples’ lives and health.

Did anyone else notice on Oprah’s “vegan show” how much fake meat was being pushed?

Lousy food certainly doesn’t help much. I believe Kat James suffered from an eating disorder before changing her diet.

18. Cheryl P.

Congrats on being #1! We’re doing our part. Got my dad, sis and BIL to watch it yesterday. They are now getting on board with a grain-free lifestyle. And we’re watching it right now with our 16 yo daughter.

And I want to thank you personally. A few weeks back, I asked about any info you had on bipolar and high carb. You directed me to some info that was so enlightening. My 19 yo son, who is bipolar II, has been doing primal blueprint for a month now, and he has been able to STOP his psychotropic medication with NO adverse reactions at all. NONE. No episodes. No more night disturbances. No more hand tremors. No more mood swings at all. We consider this nothing less than miraculous. I am writing a thank you to Mark Sisson as well. Thank god for people like you and Mark who are willing to take your time and effort to tell people the truth!!!

So keep up the good work, Tom! No more BOLOGNA!!!!

You just made my day! Congratulations to you and your son.

19. Stephen

Just got back from easter brunch. It was the first time I didn’t feel guilty about loading up with bacon and sausage on the plate. I used to use the excuse that it was a once a year “guilty pleasure”. Little does the family know, I eat this stuff every morning.

I feel so much better cutting carbohydrates from my diet. Although not formerly diagnosed with Bi-polarism, I can say I am a different person mentally since shifting my diet to LC. I have none of the OCD, depression, spontaneous rage issues I once had. I am much more mellow and I can concentrate with ease.

This story above is not an isolated one Tom. I thank you and gary taubes primarily for helping change my life by presenting the other side of the story.

What is absolutely funny is that Gary Taubes was being interviewed on CBC Radio this morning while we were driving to the brunch. I didn’t catch the entire interview (listening to the replay online right now). It was in regards to epidemiology and how scientific research is really hard to sort through these days.

(Starts around 35mins in.)

Gary apparently did an interview on Q as well that I have to catch up on:

Thanks for the links. I’ll working on the speech today, but I’ll listen to them later.

20. Dianne

21. Andy

Thanks for linking my story, Tom. I’ve received a number of positive and encouraging messages throughout the weekend. I’ve got to say the low carb online community is without a doubt the most positive and friendly bunch of people I’ve encountered on the Internet.

Everyone’s rooting for you, Andy. Best of luck on your road back to better health. We’ll meet in person one of these days when I visit the relatives back home.

22. Gretchen

Sorry this is not on topic Tom, but every time I see a post/picture with you in your Cubs jersey I wonder how you are a Cubs fan while growing up in Springfield and not a Cardinals fan? When I first watched Fat Head, I thought to myself, oh my gosh, he’s a Cubs Fan! Cheers from Collinsvile, IL (Cardinals territory!) and loving living the low carb life.

Springfield is actually a hotbed of Cubs-Cards rivalry. I was kind of a baseball agnostic until I spent 15 years living within walking distance of Wrigley Field and attended a lot of games when I should have been working on my career.

23. Cheryl P.

So keep up the good work, Tom! No more BOLOGNA!!!!

You just made my day! Congratulations to you and your son.

24. Stephen

(Starts around 35mins in.)

Gary apparently did an interview on Q as well that I have to catch up on:

25. Andy

26. Gretchen

27. Elizabeth

I just read Peggy’s link. The “best drink” Chocolate Milk??? Seriously? Anyone ever heard of WATER??? Not that I’m an “aquaholic”, but seriously? Chocolate milk?

28. Amy Dungan

Fantastic news about being #1 on Hulu! And also great news about Andy controlling his Type 2 Diabetes with low-carb! Maybe we should have him talk to the guy that wrote the article below and is blaming low-carb diets for CAUSING Diabetes. Of course, it’s hard to talk to people like this so he’d probably be wasting his time.

It’s that same silly study I posted about before:

29. Lee Chilton MD

Tom —

I am a 48 year old allopathically (MD) trained Emergency Physician interested in nutrition and non-tradiitional views on health and health care. Like Tom Mosby above, I came upon your film via Dr. Joe Mercola’s site, which, at more 1.5 million members around the world, is one of the web’s most popular “alternative” health web sites (don’t worry, no affiliation or kickback involved here). Having seen the headline in Mercola’s newsletter, I was intrigued, and so I watched the entirety of your film, and have subsequently watched it two more times to grab references — I’d love to see a transcript with bibliography to continue my education. BTW: I have also long followed the works of Drs. Sears, Eades and Eades, so it was very impressive to see their work and personalities as integral to your film.

In answer to your comment about the Mercola post, I think the thing that attracted me and many other Mercola readers was exactly the thing you complained of: the reference to “SuperSize Me.” FYI, most Mercola readers are health skeptics of at least some sort, be it about vaccines or vitamins or any other industry-driven health issue. Although I find many, if not most, of Joe’s “headlines” to be shock-value at best and fearmongering at worst, I generally find his content to be VERY well reasearched and thought provoking. I think you got many more hits from Mercola readers/viewers because of the film reference, and I think you will find many more excited and accepting converts because of the reference than without it.

I also felt that the outcome of your film was far more powerful and important than Spurlock’s film. It turns out that you, in seeking to debunk Spurlock’s fantastical/panic-inducing claims, ended up exposing an invisible private/government conspiracy to make incomprehensible riches under the guise of health promotion — all at the expense of our genetically unalterable dietary destiny — by federally and medically sanctioning the vaunted high carbohydrate, low fat diet. Al Sears may be tragically correct: health practitioners decades from now may look on this period the same way we look on leeches and witch burning.

If you are not already working on a national release for your film, I hope that you will do so. It is great that we live in the age of the web, where powerful exposes like yours can be spread virally, but it would be exponentially better to get national/international exposure in theatres and on cable TV. Your style reminds me of John Stossel, and I would hope that he could/would be of help to you in promoting your film and its message.

In summary, I hope your surge in viewers becomes a wave of change in our dietary vision as a culture. As a physician, I have for years practiced and promoted a more “cave-man” diet, but now you have given me the proof to tell my patients that the food pyramid is a lie, and whole grains are not the Holy Grail. All the best in your future efforts!

VTY, Lee Chilton MD
    Austin, TX

Thank you very much, Dr. Chilton. Now that you mention it, Dr. Mercola’s reference to Super Size Me probably helped.

30. David H

I told some of my friends about it 🙂 I’m so glad it’s getting popular. In my Philosophy class we are arguing about the morals of solving world hunger and what is being done about it. With GMO things like golden rice they are trying to solve Third World deficiency of Iron, Protein, and Vitamin A. As soon as I heard those 3 nutrients i knew the Vegetarian Evangialists were part of the problem. My advice, is gonna show the class to have some steak and liver 😀 for Iron, Vitamin A, and Protein, all rich in animal foods

Now you’re talking. You might want to point out how bringing cattle back to Zimbabwe turned a desert into a grassland.

31. Max Gazzara

Tom, I am really into paleo/primal eating now and am loving and enjoying life. Over a year ago however, I was basically brainwashed and borderline anorexic, eating only low fat foods and too little calories (I am a distance runner and I was under the false impression that lighter = faster, which it doesn’t. I dropped from 135 to 117 pounds. I was like this for several months and felt lost, depressed, sick, exhausted, and hungry.). Although I realized my mistake and started eating more again around a year ago, when I came across fat head my life was changed. I became “anorexic” because I though I was doing my body good eating whole grains, lean meats etc. Now I am glad that I know what is really good for me (meat, fish, eggs, starchy and non starchy veggies, coconut etc.) I am happy and healthy now, fit, and thankful to come across your film which has lead me to a great knowledge on proper and healthy nutrition.

Thank you, Max. Welcome back to the world of real food.

32. Elizabeth

33. David

In Oprah’s Behind the Scenes shows, the one for the vegan-for-a-week show had a bit of interesting dialogue at the beginning–Oprah actually said that she wasn’t sure about it because she had been doing high protein and this would derail her. Say what??

Wow. Hard to figure out what she believes.

34. Lee Chilton MD

Tom —

VTY, Lee Chilton MD
    Austin, TX

35. David H

36. Max Gazzara

Thank you, Max. Welcome back to the world of real food.

37. SDG

Congrats in the surge in interest!

Amy – re being able to now eat dairy, I have experienced a similar effect since eating low carb. I believe that the reason I couldn’t tolerate dairy previoulsy was because of the damage wheat did to my intestinal tract. Going off grains meant it could repair, and thus dairy is no longer a problem.

38. David

Wow. Hard to figure out what she believes.