I’ve received hundreds of emails since Fat Head went on Netflix. A few have been hate mails (one from a doctor who called me an ignorant American for not pronouncing “bologna” as it’s pronounced in Italy, then went on to berate me in sentences full of misused words and incorrect punctuation), but the vast majority have included a “thank you” in one form or another. Here’s a typical example from today’s inbox:

Your documentary has completely changed the way I think about food. I’ve nearly totally cut carbs from my diet, and as a result, I have more energy! I also don’t get that icky, lethargic, must-lie-down feeling after eating. I’ve suffered from IBS for 15 years, and after changing my diet over the past few weeks (since watching Fat Head), I finally think I know what it’s like to feel “normal.” Damn Dr. Oz for telling us all to eat so many whole grains!

Reading those emails provides me with some pleasant pat-myself-on-the-back moments. But it’s emails like the one below that remind me why I feel compelled to keep spreading the message that much of what we’ve been told about nutrition and health is wrong:

I’ve been ovo-lacto vegetarian for nearly 20 years. In fact, I received a “Certification” in Natural Hygenic Nutrition through the “Life Science Institute” by paying tuition to Marilyn and Harvey Diamond (of Fit for Life) and by taking a nearly 2 year course. I later found out the “Certification” was worthless and could not get me a job anywhere in the nutrition field.

Later in life, while looking for a way to lose weight, I came across Susan Powter. She screamed to “Stop the insanity” and urged everyone to eliminate fat from their diet. I can even remember her decribing how you could eat “bowls and bowls” of pasta and lose weight. I wanted bowls and bowls of pasta. It was then that I began my journey into vegetarianism, lowfat eating, PCOS and a 100 pound weight gain.

Over the years I tried everything. Weight watchers was particularly bad. Everyone thought I was cheating and eating too many points. For me, since there were no limits on what it was as long as the points were low, I loaded up on the carbs and gained weight while on the diet.

One time I went 6 months straight as a raw vegan. I only ate raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. Admittedly, I felt better than I’ve ever felt in my life. I lost 50 pounds. It was tremendously hard to maintain. Meals were complicated and the clean up of all the gadgets was very time consuming. Then my husband came home from Iraq and ordered a pizza and I officially lost my mind. I don’t think anything in the world has ever tasted better than that first bite (well, maybe the second).

What I’m getting at is that I’ve been vegetarian for so long and I’ve been singing this same old song. No one could convince me different. Here I am… this morbidly obese (BMI of 47) 40 year old vegetarian. My typical diet is usually fruits, vegetable and CARBS. When my Endocrinologist asked me what I ate for dinner the night before, I told him I’d put some watermelon, a cored apple, the juice of a lemon, some ice and a massive handful of spinach in the blender. I blended it and drank it. He was horrified. Anyone else would have said how amazing my diet was. I should look like a supermodel. But it was all carbs. He asked me to consider where was the protein or fat. I’ve spent so long thinking I knew it all that it was hard for me to accept that eating fruits and vegetables was wrong. I even argued with him in the office as he told me I have: Dysmetabolic Syndrome X, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Hypothyroidism and possibly Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis. It was no comfort to hear that it wasn’t my fault and that, if I did not take medication, I would continue to gain weight no matter what I do.

The full email was longer, but you get the idea. This woman ate what she believed was a wonderful diet — making sacrifices to follow the supposedly wonderful diet — and ended up obese and sick for her efforts.   She also has a son who suffers from autism, ADHD, ODD, OCD and Tourette’s syndrome.   She’s only recently learned this his problems are probably related to her PCOS and metabolic disorders.  I’ve received similar horror stories from other viewers as well.

As I explained in Fat Head, some people live on diets they know are lousy. They eat whatever they like, and to hell with the consequences. That’s their choice, and it’s okay by me.  But I feel terrible for people who actually try to take care of themselves, try to do the right thing, but end up with lousy health simply because they’ve been given so much bad advice.

I realized this morning that yesterday was my two-year anniversary as a blogger.  Emails like the one above remind me why I won’t be stopping anytime soon, and why I’m grateful for fellow bloggers like Jimmy Moore, Mark Sisson, Richard Nikoley, Dr. Mike Eades, Stephen Guyenet, Don Matesz, Gary Taubes, and many others.  We need to get the information out there to people who might learn something useful before the damage is done.

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Share/Bookmark
87 Responses to “This Is Why We Do What We Do …”
  1. Judith B says:

“We need to get the information out there to people who might learn something useful before the damage is done.”

I was on the wrong side of 60 when I discovered Mark Sisson’s Primal Blueprint, and the damage had been well and truly done. But at least after two years of PB I have stopped the damage and even healed some of it. I have shed 20 kilos (about 45 pounds), and normalised my blood pressure, lipids, and blood sugar, and ditched most of the swag of medications I was taking, including statins. It’s never too late to change, so keep spreading the word, Brother Tom!

Those are good results at any age.

2. JimmyJohn says:

“Insanely obese people become that way from eating sugars and other refined carbohydrates along with the fats. ”

Really? Nothing to do with the fats at all? Even Dr. Atkins said that you can’t go all out on fats on the Atkin’s diet. You have to moderate them, just like you would protein or carbs.

“My “real” vegetarian diet was a low-fat diet based on rice, pasta, whole-grain cereal, etc. Those foods jacked up my insulin, which encouraged fat accumulation, as they do for many people.”

Fat from where? Those foods don’t contain any fat.

“Yes, I’m so defensive about my diet I go trolling around the internet looking for bloggers who don’t recommend the diet I think they should and preach to them. No, wait … that would be you.”

Wait, what? You’re the one who takes several jabs at Vegetarians in your movie because you have some type of sour grapes with them or something because that lifestyle failed for you. You’re also trying to help push the ‘vegan elitist’ angle which is starting to get really old. Most vegetarians/vegans I’ve met are just regular people who have a particular lifestyle that doesn’t involve eating animal meat. If you got thrown out of your elitist wine party by some vegans 10 years ago for eating meat then I’m sorry bro, but that’s another problem.

1. Sugars and flours spike insulin, which encourages your body to store fat. So sure, if you’re filling your belly with both sugar and fat, you’re giving it plenty of fat to store while creating a biochemical signal to store it. But a diet of meat, eggs, butter, and green vegetables without sugar and starch doesn’t create obese people. That’s the diet I’m on now — with lots of fat — and I’ve gotten leaner, not fatter.

2. My vegetarian diet included vegetable oils and (shudder) margarine. And by the way, it’s not necessary to eat fat to become fat. Your liver can and will make fat from carbohydrates. If your glycogen stores are full, that’s exactly what it does. (Ever notice they feed grains to livestock to make them nice and fat? Works on people too.)

3. Most vegans I know are regular people. But the ones who troll blogs dedicated to low-carb/paleo eating and write dire warnings about animal fats and preach veganism are annoying zealots. They’re the dietary equivalent of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

4. I didn’t make fun of all vegetarians in Fat Head. I made fun of the zealots, like the goofs at CSPI, who run around filing lawsuits and trying to use taxes and regulations to coerce people into adopting their dietary preferences. The story line of Fat Head is spelled out on the DVD and on the Netflix synopsis. Anyone who watched did so by choice. That’s not the same as me showing up vegan blogs and preaching to people, which I would never do. I don’t really care if they don’t eat meat. You obviously care that other people do.

3. Marilyn says:

First, let me add my congratulations on your two-year anniversary. And congratulations also on Fat Head. I’ve had the CD since it came out, and have enjoyed it several times.

I’ve had a question for some time, and this seems an appropriate time to ask it. There’s one thing that doesn’t seem to “compute” in my mind. Writers such as Ravnskov and Graves, in their zeal to assure us that cholesterol is a Good Thing, have pointed to an association of low cholesterol — either spontaneous or achieved with statins — with cancer. I’ve noticed that lots of folks on low carb diets report having a lower cholesterol reading as a result of their low carb diets. A friend on another forum just reported his latest as 137. While I’m sure many of us would question the wisdom that connects higher cholesterol readings with heart attacks, yet we still seem to be glad when our cholesterol readings go down. I wonder — should be glad or concerned?

What are your thoughts?

I believe if you’re on a good diet, your body knows how much cholesterol it should make. Some people will be naturally high, some naturally lower. I wouldn’t be concerned with people who eat a good, whole-food diet with good natural fats and end up with lower cholesterol. Forcing them down with statins is another issue. In that case, you’re preventing your body from making the cholesterol it wants to make — probably to protect you.

4. js290 says:

re: not doing diets right… sounds a bit superstitious… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

Proponents of bad diets always blame the dieter.

5. Ericka says:

“I hope so too. In my dream world, the documentary prevents at least a few cases of diabetes.”

You may have prevented a case with me. I was struggling very hard with reactive hypoglycemia before I went LC/HF. I have only had blood sugar problems when I’ve had too many carbs. Not to mention my quality of live is SOOOO much better now. Last fall, I could barely hike less than half a mile. Last week, I hiked 7, within 5.5 hours…. I don’t hurt as much, nor have as much heart burn… And that’s just the tip of the iceberg as far as how much my health has improved.

Also, I have been talking to my dad who has “high cholesterol” and T2 diabetes about some of the facts you presented in “Fat Head” (and I’m DESPERATELY trying to get him off of his statins… he’s not there yet, but I think I’m starting to get through to him) and he has been doing better with his carb intake. I have been making him breakfast (usually bacon [or sausage] and eggs) so he won’t have his bg spiking cereal bars… His bg levels are not as NEARLY high when he keeps the carbs down, and he hasn’t been rigorously following his insulin shot schedule… he’s averaging around 137 (which is amazing considering he once spent over a month where they didn’t come down below 300). I WILL get him to eventually watch Fat Head; however, he’s not really a doco type person… if only Fat Head were a western, THEN he’d watch it.. ;)

I’ve thanked you many times already, and I wish to thank you again!! And congratulation for 2 years on your blog!

A Western version would be awesome … just imagine a saloon fight with The Guy From CSPI.

6. Stephanie O. says:

“JimmyJohn”

What is a “vegan” doing using a name like “JimmyJohn”.
    Where I live it just reminds me of the restaraunt where I can get good fresh MEAT sandwiches (or low carb MEAT wraps).
    Delicious MEAT all the same.

Love the movie Tom, I have a couple of copies that I loan out to people along with a copy of “Why we get fat”. (Package Deal)

I’m always honored to be part of a package deal that includes Gary Taubes.

7. Richard Tamesis, M.D. says:

I think you did the world a great service with your DVD and your blog. It’s one thing to try to describe in words how fat and sugar is regulated in the body, but your DVD and its animations make it so much clearer and understandable even to laymen. As they say, a picture (and cartoon) is worth a thousand words.

Thank you, Dr. Tamesis. I was hoping the show-and-tell approach would help people grasp the concepts.

8. Anji says:

I just finished watching your documentary and I have to say thank you! For years, I have been fighting against the low carb wisdom, even though when I would follow a low carb diet I would feel great. I was so hung up on what the “professionals” were saying that I was to scared to do what felt right! Now with your doc and additional research, I am on my way to a healthier lifestyle and am finally going to call my mom and tell her she was right all these years! She told me years ago that a very old doctor (this was in the seventies so I am sure he has passed) put her on a low carb diet and said all of the same things as you did about a high carb lifestyle being very bad for our bodies. So again, thank you! Keep up the good work!

Too bad we don’t have more of those old doctors around.

9. Dr. Shibboth says:

I proffer moderation to my patients who wish to lose weight. Carbs, fat, protein all consumed in moderation is ok. In America the biggest problem is portion control. Eat less, lose weight.

I’m delighted to hear you give your overweight patients the standard advice, which fails to produce long-term weight loss 98% of the time. When they don’t lose weight, I presume you blame them?

10. Laurie says:

Obese vegetarians: I know several personally; the woman in this post above says she is an obese vegetarian for Pete’s sake! Even if you have never met one, have you personally polled every obese stranger you see in public as to whether they are a vegetarian or not? How do you know? In the country of India, where much of the population is vegetarian, there are one or two who are obese. There is a condition called Metabolic obesity, normal weight, MONW- obese on the inside, thin looking outside- covert (occult) obesity.
    If there are no obese vegetarians that you know of, that doesn’t mean there aren’t any. Also, because the vegetarian diet is touted for its supposed making of all of them slim- then Karl Popper and Dr. Uffe Ravnskov would object to the validity of that prediction/ hypothesis and that it falls apart with just one instance of an obese vegetarian. See the woman above in the post and I know 3 first hand- overt obese vegetarians.

Vegetarians are a highly self-selected group. Those who try it because they want to lose weight and actually do — probably because they gave up sugar and white flour, as many vegetarian health gurus urge — remain vegetarians. Those of us who find ourselves gaining weight and experiencing health problems quit the lifestyle and therefore aren’t counted as fat vegetarians, even though we were at one time.

11. Hector says:

I’m thinking… could one use a lot of salt or mayonnaise in green vegetables so it could be more palatable? What other stuff could one use to make it more… interesting?

I wouldn’t use commercial mayo; it’s full of soybean oil. Our girls happily eat their vegetables because we serve them slathered with Kerry Gold butter or roasted with olive oil and spices. For spinach, I mix it with butter, sour cream, parmesan cheese, garlic and nutmeg. A couple of nights ago the girls expressed their extreme disappointment that I only made enough for one big serving each.

12. Dr. Shibboth says:

It is different here in Switzerland. We do not have the obesity problem that you do in the States. Our culture is not one of mass consumption but rather moderate consumption. My patients gain weight when they act like Americans! Laff!

Of course they would. American diets are full of refined grains and sugars which provoke biochemical changes that ramp up appetite. My grandparents’ generation didn’t have anything close to the rate of obesity today. So either Americans became gluttonous and undisciplined in just one or two generations, or changes in our food supply provoked a change in biochemistry that led to ramping up appetite and accumulating fat. Since my grandparents never voluntarily starved themselves and never went to health clubs, I vote for the latter.

13. Brendan says:

Congratulations on your two-year anniversary as a blogger. Your blog has been one of the first lowcarb/paleo blogs that has opened my eye on the deceitful nature of the food pyramid, and also on the possible bad effects of statins. I managed to convince my mum and dad to stop taking statins, but it was hard cause they are easily swayed by health “professionals” and the “goofs” in white coats.

It is encouraging to see that the main news are starting to change their views on conventional wisdom, especially in nutrition. But I guess it’s still a long way off, judging from articles like this:

Yup, another lousy association study. I’d sure like for someone to explain the biochemical mechanism through which cereals — in and of themselves — reduce hypertension.

14. Dr. Shibboth says:

Fiber is known to reduce hypertension. We do not yet understand why. Potassium also lowers blood pressure by ensuring proper function of sodium-potassium ion pumps at the cellular level.

Another feature your grandparents likely never experienced was the super-size fries in the drive-through. Morgan Spurlock accurately portrayed the size increase of french fries over time at McDonald’s. You do not like him but he was right. Americans eat too much!

Fiber may reduce blood pressure, but where is the evidence from clinical trials that it does so all by itself, as opposed to replacing something else in the diet? All I’ve seen are studies in which treatment groups were given a diet that included more fiber along with several other changes (not controlling for fiber as a single variable) and some association studies, which are next to worthless.

As far as the evidence I’ve seen, the best dietary method for reducing hypertension is to limit fructose consumption:

McDonald’s got rid of super-sized fries and drinks four years ago. I guess that explains the sudden drop in obesity rates here. Americans eat too much because the foods we’ve told are good for us jack up insulin and drive fat accumulation, which in turn drives up appetite because a disproportionate number of calories are being stored instead of burned. Eating more is the effect, not the cause. If it’s available on your side of the ocean, I’d urge you to read “Why We Get Fat” by Gary Taubes.

15. RabbleRouser says:

Hi Tom,

At the beginning of your documentary, when it shows you getting a pre-diet checkup, the film makes a cut to you doing resistance training in your kitchen with exercise bands. I just wanted to let you know that your face looks absolutely ridiculous. You are staring at the ceiling and it looks like you are constipated and attempting to push out a huge turd.

Just thought I’d point that out.

Regards,
    A concerned fan

Thank you for letting me know. I’ll re-shoot that scene with an expression you’re more likely to find acceptable, edit it into the timeline, run off new masters, and have our distributor reproduce the DVDs.

16. Lori says:

Re: portions, my experience is that portion sizes take care of themselves on a low-carb, high-fat diet. Today, for instance, I had a chai tea with one cup of cream/milk, 2.5 coffees with half-and-half, a can of sardines, salad with vinaigrette, a few little chocolates, and I’m full. No midafternoon slump at 3:30, either, even on 5.5 hours’ sleep. Back when I ate a low-fat diet, I was hungry all morning–and putting on weight. Wonky blood sugar runs in my family, and high-carb food sets the blood sugar roller coaster in motion.

If Dr. Shibboth advocates a pre-industrial Swiss diet, which produced excellent health, I’m all for it. However…in the 1920s and 1930s, some Swiss adopted a modern diet and lost their teeth at a young age. I’m sure these people weren’t dirty or lazy–it was their diet lacking in nutrients. (See the work of Dr. Weston A. Price for details.)

That’s the point of a low-carb diet. If your body can burn fat (your own included), your appetite is naturally controlled.

17. Amy Dungan says:

Congrats on two years of blogging and your success on reaching people with Fat Head! A good friend of mine has to eat gluten free because of her MS, but has been trying to convince her husband that low-carb is the way to go as well. He wasn’t sure about it until they watched Fat Head a few days ago on Netflix. Now he’s sold. I delivered an armful of low-carb cookbooks, the New Atkins Diet book and Gary’s new book to her house today and they are excited to get started! You have two huge new fans Tom! :)

I agree. Getting emails saying that you helped, even in some small way, is worth all the trouble and hate mail we deal with on a regular basis. There’s an elderly gentleman who wrote me recently and he’s lost almost 100 lbs so far and is feeling fantastic. Now THAT is exciting!

Outstanding.

18. js290 says:

How much rat poison should one “moderate?” Is moderating a little bit of everything really moderation?

My sentiments exactly.

19. js290 says:

tracker, bleeding with leeches is actually a good idea…

Also, if you’re interested, nothing’s more “paleo” than helminthic therapy. Nothing like a handful of hookworms to calm down your immune system during allergy season. Though, I think now diet may be the first order effect in allergies.

20. Dr. Shibboth says:

Where is the non-associative study on fructose that controls for every other aspect of the diet? I have seen many association studies that show one needs considerable amounts of fructose in the diet to affect blood pressure.

While McDonald’s has removed their super sizes, the point remains that their small today is the equivalent of a large 20 years ago. They are reflecting society’s desire to consume more, not causing it. The American overconsumption exists not just with food but oil and luxury goods as well.

The modern swiss diet is moderate in fat, high in grains and fiber. We have one of the lowest obesity rates in the world.

Dr. Johnson’s speech details the research and clinical trials on fructose and hypertension.

The modern Swiss diet is therefore low in sugar and refined flours, correct? So again, I believe you’re largely looking at the benefits of replacing refined carbs with less-refined carbs. That doesn’t necessarily mean fibers and whole grains are beneficial in and of themselves.

21. Your Older Brother says:

Maybe Taubes could look into what it is about a medical degree that disproportionately suppresses knowledge from crossing the eyeball/brain barrier?

Cheers!

Well, it could just be an association … perhaps people who choose a career in medicine are disproportionately blessed with that trait.

22. eddie watts says:

i read that “study” (ahem ahem) and in it they even say that it is *slightly* better than refined grains, not that it is better in and of itself.
    (better than what? no explanation at all)
    the commenter then says that people normally add saturated fat to other meals, then states this was not even controlled in the experiment!

As Thomas Sowell used to ask his students when they declared some policy or system to be good or bad: compared to what?

23. Richard Tamesis, M.D. says:

“Everything in moderation” also means that you can be moderately fat or have moderate risk for diabetes, heart disease, inflammation, cancer, etc. from moderate carb intake.

24. TheMightyQuinn says:

Here is why shibboleth’s (who’s moniker literally means “part of a plant containing grains”) mantra of “moderation” is so wrong:

Today the average person consumes 150 pounds of sugar per year. Moderation would cut that down to 100 pounds per year.

Three hundred years ago the average person consumed 7.5 pounds of sugar per year. Moderation would cut that down to 5 pounds per year.

According to shibboleth, 7.5 pounds of sugar a year is unhealthy (as he would of told an obese person from the 1700s) but 100 pounds a year is the pathway to health (i.e. “moderation”). “Moderation” is useless because it is relative.

25. Marilyn says:

js290, they do give rat poison to people. It’s called “coumadin.” :-(

26. Dr. Shibboth says:

Dr. Johnson’s research does not have a fructose study that controls for all of the other variables you mentioned with respect to fiber. Thus, if you reject the fiber studies you must reject Johnson’s research as well! What is fair is fair, after all.

Fiber is beneficial in and of itself – many studies have shown this. We just do not know why. If diet is controlled and only fiber changes then blood pressure goes down. Again, there is a mechanism that is not well understood. Potassium is more well understood. I recommend my patients eat one banana a day for proper sodium-channel function.

Johnson’s study controlled uric acid, which is driven by fructose. If you have links to studies in which fiber was the only variable changed, I’d like to see them. Like I said before, fiber may produce blood-pressure reductions, but I haven’t seen the evidence.

27. js290 says:

Shibbolth, feel free to respond to this paper…

That’s a good one. I read it awhile back.

28. Molly says:

For example, very high doses of fructose (250 g/d x 7 d) cause insulin resistance in 1 wk (147)
    One week. Scary.

29. David H says:

Thank you! I got my grandmother to lose weight. She already knew rice was fattening so she would eat very low calories with just fruits and vegetables. I told her that if she also added meat she could have more energy, be less hungry, and assist weight loss. It worked like magic! She was delighted when I came to visit her and thanked me for the advice.

She was lucky you knew what to recommend.

30. Gabrielle says:

I’m one of those crazy thrilled fans that am indebted to your wisdom and ventures to share that wisdom. Now, i get to go through the grocery store rolling my eyes, shaking my head and nearly cussing out loud at so-called “healthy” cookbooks for diabetics that ban the consumption of animal fat, the cereal isle, and whoever is responsible for making stuff like “low-carb, low-fat yogurt.” What!?? What’s left in it??

Low-carb, low-fat yogurt sounds awful. We get the full-fat stuff. Our girls like it with blueberries.

31. Marcus says:

Tom, the good doctor exposed your vulnerability here. You espouse fructose as the source of all evil yet you don’t have any proof that isn’t subject to the same exact problem you have with the fiber studies. At least be consistent. If you’re going to bash fiber studies you should bash the fructose ones for the same reason.

@js290: Your link doesn’t work for me. Do you have an updated one?

The good doctor apparently hasn’t actually read the literature. He said we don’t know how fiber reduces blood pressure (therefore we also don’t know if it does). The mechanisms of fructose metabolism are known and have been demonstrated in clinical research.

32. You had me at Netflix… ;) Added to instant queue!

33. KarmaPolice says:

Loved the movie very much. Well done!

But the the opening salvo that you could not find enough fat people was way off target. Come to the South and I could give you enough material faster than you can draw a breath.

Of course BMI is an inaccurate measurement but that does not disprove the fact that obesity is an epidemic. You can see it. The problem is that people have lost the ability to compare because everyone is packing on the pounds simultaneously. Watch some old Soul Train videos from the 70′s on YouTube. You will get an idea of the correct weight of most people. By this measure, you and Mrs. Obama are overweight.

Believe me, an old acquaintance is the best mirror.

I can assure you.

When we were in Arkansas last summer, there were obese people everywhere. Then we arrived here in Franklin, TN, and the rotund people are rare. Apparently it’s regional.

34. LisaL says:

I love your documentary. I watched it once, then watched it again with my husband. It led me to start eating Paleo and I am not looking back.
    Your doc just really opened my eyes to the truths and all of the lies we’ve been fed since childhood.
    I mention your documentary whenever I can.
    If someone is struggling with their weight loss, I point them in your direction and point them towards paleo/primal.
    I just wish more people would listen and open their minds.

I appreciate the word-of-mouth marketing.

35. Phil Garnett says:

I’m 52 and decided to lose some weight for my daughters wedding this year. I thought while I’m at it, I would love to get rid of some belly fat. I read somewhere that reducing carbs is the only way to get rid of belly fat, so I cut the carbs and lowered the fat. I went from 208 to 185 in 3 months (6 feet tall). Then I saw your video and now I’m mad because there were lots of times I could have had a cheeseburger and extra meat by just getting rid of the cereal and toast I ate. Anyway, I’m now eating all the meat I want and throughing away the bun, cereal and toast. I also ditched my statin meds which the doc insisted I need even though my HDL ratio was excellent when he insisted I start taking the crap. Thanks for the movie! I bought a copy on Amazon today.

Thank you for supporting the film.

36. Becky says:

Hey, Hector (and Tom), you guys didn’t ask me but I have a suggesstion for awesome green veggies: broccoli (I always just thaw out frozen) quickly tossed in either olive, walnut or sesame oil (use the latter sparingly) with some minced garlic & red pepper flakes. Mmmm :) One of my favorite side dishes, low carb and super easy.

37. Carole says:

“In my dream world, the documentary prevents at least a few cases of diabetes.”

I’m a little late to the party here (catching up on your old posts), but have to join in…I think you’re safely past “a few” cases of diabetes prevented, but you can add me as one more!

When I first watched Fat Head last fall (thanks to Netflix and my husband’s general documentary interest at the time), I laughed through the first half (take that, Morgan Spurlock!) and sat with my jaw on the floor for the second half.

Then I went out and got a blood sugar monitor. Both of my parents had been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in the past few years, and I’d begun noticing how badly I felt when I ate lots of sugar — which was all the time, because I constantly craved it!

My fasting sugars were between 110 and 118 (and up to 175 after eating) over a period of several weeks, until I finally got it together enough to stop the carbs. I was *well* on my way to becoming a Type 2 diabetic! But within a couple of weeks, my fasting sugars were down around 85. :)

Even when I was “off the wagon” for several weeks recently & eating lots of carbs, my fasting sugars stayed below 90. (Of course, “lots of carbs” has a much different meaning now than it used to!) And I am SO grateful — without Fat Head, even if I’d decided to do something about my sugar intake, it would have been terribly un-healthy (veg oil, lowfat, grain-loaded), and miserable. As it stands, I eat lots of healthy, yummy fats and meats (and am continually encouraged by your blog to do better with the veggies).

So, thank you, Tom, for preventing one more case of diabetes! :)

You just made my day.