Boozlers on Hulu … Just What I Expected

101 Comments on Boozlers on Hulu … Just What I Expected

When Fat Head was released, I knew it was controversial and expected a love-it-or-hate-it response. As it turned out, most people heard about the film through low-carb or paleo-diet blogs, so they were predisposed to like it. Ahhh, the good old days. Now that Fat Head is on Hulu and being viewed by people who thought Super Size Me was both truthful and brilliant, I’m seeing more of the angry reviews I always expected.

A few of Spurlock’s fans have shown up previously to comment on my YouTube clips. I referred to them as boozlers in a previous post because they refuse to believe they were bamboozled by Spurlock, even though logic and simple math prove he couldn’t have followed his own rules. I replied to their comments on YouTube since it’s my channel and they took it upon themselves to show up there, but I’m not going to bother posting replies on Hulu. I’m not sure it’s even possible, and I don’t think it would be good idea anyway.

But just for a fun, I’ll post some quotes here with my replies.

Are you kidding me? Why in the world would you want to stand up in defense for the likes of McDonalds?

I have this crazy tendency to be annoyed when people are accused of crimes they didn’t commit. If someone produced a film blaming Anheuser-Busch for all the alcoholics in the country, I’d stand up and defend Anheuser-Busch as well.

Spurlock attended film school and was experienced and well-versed on how to create a documentary that spoke to a varied demographic. It is difficult to connect with Naughton’s attempt, which amounts to a lengthy, redundant, monotone rant.

I have no problem admitting that Morgan Spurlock is far more skilled at producing polished propaganda than I am. He sucks as a researcher, he’s clueless about science and nutrition, and simple math says he was dishonest about what he actually ate, but he’s an entertaining filmmaker. I didn’t attend film school, but I’m guessing they don’t offer a course titled It’s Not Ethical to Lie to Your Audience in a Documentary.

Super-size Me started an epidemic in the fast food industry, MacDonald & others was shaking in their boots when that film came out.

Yes, Old MacDonald was deeply shaken by Super Size Me. So was McDonald’s, especially when their sales continued going up every year after it was released. Newsflash: the people who swallowed the nonsense in Super Size Me weren’t eating at McDonald’s in the first place. The film had roughly the same economic impact as if the faculty at Yale boycotted NASCAR events.

Morgan is a great guy & don’t judge him base on Super Size me.

Good point. I shouldn’t judge him base on the film that made his career. From now on, I’ll judge him by how nicely he treats waitresses and taxi drivers.

clearly, morgan spurlock was attempting to point out that if you eat three square meals per day at a fast food restaurant your caloric intake will be staggering.

I guess the simple math I put on the screen wasn’t simple enough. To average more than 5,000 calories per day, he had to eat far more than even three large combos would provide — and since he promised to eat everything on the menu at least once, what the heck happened on the days he ordered a 400-calorie chicken salad? Of course, he could clear up this mystery by honoring the dozens of requests from journalists to publish his food log, but since he won’t, I’m going with the simple math for now.

Guess what, Supersize Me actually made a lot of change in the world.

Can’t argue with that. I’ve been amazed at the drop in obesity and diabetes since Super Size Me was released. I was delighted when Michelle Obama held a press conference recently and said, “I am terminating the government’s anti-obesity program. It turns out Super Size Me solved the crisis.”

He should REALLY be using a DEXA scan or something much more accurate to measure body fat. Bioelectrical impedance analysis is terribly inaccurate.

I didn’t know the doctor was going to measure my body fat until he handed me the device. But next time, I’ll call ahead and make sure he uses the brand you recommend.

Ok McJacka$…keep eating your burgers if that makes you happy, you are a big boy, and nobody can tell you what to put in you pie hole.

I’m delighted to know you share my libertarian views on freedom and personal responsibility.  Give me a fist-bump, my brother.

This guy is a joke. I can’t even list the number of arguments he made that were later contradicted by other arguments.

Pretty please, list them. I’d like to know.

Humans got shorter? No, humans evolved into taller humans.

If you believe human history began 12,000 years ago, you are correct. But it’s comforting to know that after switching to agriculture made us six inches shorter, it only took 10,000 years to regain our Paleolithic height.

And based on anthropological data, most of what we ate was plant based, with meat coming in when the tribe made a kill, which could be days or weeks apart. I’m calling a tool alert on this annoyingly voice-varying airhead.

Yes, my ancestors in Ireland no doubt lived exclusively on plants during the long, cold winters when nothing grows. Same for Inuits; they grow a lot of corn and beans up there in the Arctic. And of course, after the buffalo-hide hunters wiped out the buffalo population, the Plains Indians said to themselves, “No big deal. We only managed to kill one every few weeks anyway.”

jacka** is giving fat people hope that they can cling too their food (poison) and their terrible way of life.

That’s the main message of my documentary: Don’t change anything, cling too your food, keep eating all the sugar and starch you’re eating now, and you’ll magically begin to lose weight and regain your health.

There’s no way in hell eating high saturated fat, process carbs can be good for you.

I thought about toning down the pro-process-carb message, but in the end I decided it was important for people to understand how essential process carbs are for remaining healthy and lean.

What the creator fail to realize is the chemical composition of said fast food is addicting, which is the main reason why people continue to eat it.

That explains why both Spurlock and I couldn’t wait for our fast-food-diets to end.  We both fail to give in to the addiction.

Plus, Naughton ate fast foods at least 3 years after Spurlock’s movie, which meant that he was eating fast foods with lowered calories.

If the calories in a Double-Quarter Pounder were reduced after 2004, it’s news to me. McDonald’s stopped selling super-sized sodas and fries, but I didn’t drink sodas and only rarely ate fries. Meanwhile, if Spurlock actually followed his rules, he only consumed two super-sized meals per week.

As for the doctors in the movie, I wonder about their credibility. Doctors who are not educated in scientific studies and not know that there are such things as correlation in conjectures should really be fired.

I’d ask science wonks like Mike Eades, Gary Taubes, Malcolm Kendrick, Uffe Ravnskov and Mary Enig if they know or not know about correlation in conjectures, but I’m afraid they’d conclude I’ve turned stupid and stop talking to me.

This guy is a f__king idiot.

I’m defenseless in the face of such rhetorical skill.

Of course he chose quack doctors to support his claims but talk to any nutritionist and you’ll get the real information.

Can’t type … shaking with laughter.

Well, you get the idea. As I discovered when I first began writing for my college newspaper, you can’t put anything before the public without someone getting ticked off. As I once told my roommate, “I swear, if I write a column saying it was a beautiful day yesterday, I’ll get at least two letters informing me that it wasn’t a nice day for the people starving in Bangladesh, and if I wasn’t such a heartless son of a bitch who only thinks about himself, I’d realize that and stop talking about the weather, so I should do everyone a favor and kill myself.” I even received hate mail for a column I wrote making fun of stupid commercials — kid you not.

It goes with the territory …

101 thoughts on “Boozlers on Hulu … Just What I Expected

1. Todd S.

Cognitive dissonance. It’s what causes these people to react the way they do.

“His evidence can’t possibly be accurate. Math? What is that? Just a bunch of numbers. I have it on good authority that Spurlock is the most nutritionally literate person alive.”

Some of them have jumped through some amazing mental hoops to avoid admitting he flat-out lied about his food intake. Their explanations are highly amusing.

2. Stephen Brand

Outstanding, Tom! Once again you’ve made me laugh while making some very valid points. I feel ya, brother.

Gotta laugh, or the bad guys win.

3. Carol Bardelli

Tom, as always you write entertaining and educational posts. As for the boozlers, you can’t fight the illogical with logic. They haven’t the first clue how to process truth versus what they want to believe.

You are correct. I learned during some YouTube debates that logic rolls off some people’s backs.

4. Sarah

I was gonna mention that actually. I’m sorry about your low rating as a result =P I do find it very hard to argue with the science in the movie but… then again I make the mistake of having faith in people far too often. Silly me.

Keep the faith and be silly as often as possible.

5. Nate

Unreal!! I still don’t understand how people just don’t get it. I love your movie, I love your blog posts, keep up the great work. I pass along my FatHead DVD to anyone who will watch it!

I fully expected those reactions from Spurlock’s fans. The appeal of his film is mostly emotional, so it attracted emotional fans.

6. Kim

hey, at least you’re getting a rise out of them! :). We know the truth and the truth shall set us free! Hehehe

To quote Oscar Wilde, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

7. Be

You are a heartless SOB. HOW DARE you shed light and reason on such a critical aspect of human survival? How DARE you to question and challenge cultural norms? How DARE you bring to light Doctors, scientists and people who have active minds and challenge the governmental big brother lemmings? How COULD you be a paid lackey of McDonalds while convincing your loyal fan base to drive past the McDonalds drive through and look for old MacDonald’s farm? (that one cracked me up)

You should run out IMMEDIATELY and shoot yourself. Well, only if more than 10% of these comments were even HALF articulate, intelligent or even close to be grammatically correct. Trust me, you are safe from your critics.

Thanks for sharing your shame! We are laughing our asses off right along with you.

I appreciate that.

8. Lori

Are these criticisms full of grammatical errors, or did I have way too much wine at the wine tasting tonight? Not that poor grammar makes someone wrong, just hard to take seriously.

I copied them as written, then responded in kind in some cases.

9. Erik Danielsen

As an official, certified nutritionist (since there are no qualifications for calling onesself a nutritionist, I drew up the certificate myself) I can indeed give you the real information. The Scientific Literature makes it clear that each and every human on this planet would be best served by a diet consisting of 30 bananas each and every day. If you notice your child’s legs becoming “rickety” or “bowed” on this diet, I can assure you that this is the natural process of their young, pliable physiology morphing to become more similar to that of the friendly chimpanzee, that close cousin of ours whose diet we aim to precisely emulate (really!). Adults are less adaptable, but you may gradually assume a close facsimile of the ape’s general posture, which is a clear sign that you’re doing something right! Certainly nothing to do with bone degeneration, or anything of that sort… where do they come up with silly names like “rickets” anyways?

In my efforts to be a responsible nutritionist and show how much I care about my readers, I felt it necessary to raise these facts to the awareness of the readers of your blog. I really do feel there’s a lot of nutritional information to be gained by studying the diets of our direct evolutionary ancestors, the chimpanzees- particularly as portrayed in documentaries such as “Tarzan” and “George of the Jungle.” I urge you to consider devoting a full blog post to this virile font of lifestyle guidance.

Signed,

Mal. A Propiste, Certified Nutritionist

10. Erik Danielsen

“You, sir, are clearly ready to head up a research team and have your work sponsored by the American Heart Assocation.”

That’s a great idea, actually. I’ll see if they’ll sponsor me to do a study PROVING that an animal-product-based diet rich in saturated fats and utterly devoid of heart-healthy whole grains will cause you to drop dead of a heart attack. I submit myself as the experimental subject, provided the AHA is fully prepared to fund my heart-stopping diet of fatty beef, eggs, and butter. They shouldn’t mind. After all, it’s all in the name of science (and quashing those pesky low-carbers)!

…right?

At the very least, sounds like free food for the next several decades at least! Thanks for a great idea!

-Mal (who is, of course, a Nutritionist).

11. Hector

You know… I LOVE science. I have studied all diets recently and the paleo diet is by far the most logical. I just don’t understand why some people just do not research or experiment for themselves, instead they are wasting their time in complete ignorance.

All I say to you Tom… KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! and try not to get angry to those people hehehe.

I don’t get angry, I laugh … especially when someone who can’t spell and couldn’t pass fourth-grade grammar calls me an idiot.

12. Nick

Hey Tom,

This one certainly falls under one of the rules I try to live by…..this rule is

“Never argue with idiots, because they will drag you down to their level, and then beat you up with experience”

Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!!!!

It’s a good rule.

13. Woody

Tom –

I think it’s time for a new doc “Bone Head” about anonymous internet dopes who can’t count and love their carbs…. Keep up the good work!

If I do, promise to mix the sound again?

14. Melissa Martell

Tom it’s like trying to argue religion- in fact food and nutrition and alot of junk science is religion. You’re lucky you haven’t been burned at the stake yet!
    Still love your documentary though and glad you made it onto Hulu. Usually happy people don’t leave comments, only the angry tight asses do.

I’m waiting for someone to burn a soybean totem in my front yard.

15. Marilyn

Lori says, “Not that poor grammar makes someone wrong, just hard to take seriously.” I’m with you on that one!

I know someone who says, “You can’t argue with a fool.”

My favorite is “When debating a fool, don’t interrupt.”

16. Timespike

Gave you a five-star rating on Hulu to counteract at least one of the morons. And for the record: Truth trumps production values any day in my book.

I appreciate the rating and the compliment.

17. Todd S.

Cognitive dissonance. It’s what causes these people to react the way they do.

18. Stephen Brand

Gotta laugh, or the bad guys win.

19. Carol Bardelli

20. Sarah

Keep the faith and be silly as often as possible.

21. Nate

22. Kim

23. Be

I appreciate that.

24. Lori

I copied them as written, then responded in kind in some cases.

25. Erik Danielsen

Signed,

Mal. A Propiste, Certified Nutritionist

26. Erik Danielsen

…right?

-Mal (who is, of course, a Nutritionist).

27. Hector

28. Nick

Hey Tom,

This one certainly falls under one of the rules I try to live by…..this rule is

Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!!!!

It’s a good rule.

29. Woody

Tom –

If I do, promise to mix the sound again?

30. Melissa Martell

I’m waiting for someone to burn a soybean totem in my front yard.

31. Frank

I am encouraged that, even though there are a mix of good and bad comments on the review board, the good comments get a lot of “helpful” votes, while the negative ones get a lot of “not helpful” votes.

We’ll see how it plays out.

32. Amanda

You can only have an intelligent and rational conversation with an intelligent and rational person… it just isn’t worth even acknowledging the idiots, who even haven’t got the intelligence to realise how stupid they are. If I could get Hulu over here, I’d stick up for you Tom!

I’ve had to come to that conclusion after some online debates. You can’t use logic to persuade someone who has no sense of logic in the first place.

33. Marilyn

I know someone who says, “You can’t argue with a fool.”

My favorite is “When debating a fool, don’t interrupt.”

34. Timespike

I appreciate the rating and the compliment.

35. DiscoStew

Tom, when some people leave a room, the total IQ of the room actually goes up!! The idiots/morons who have criticised your doco are such people.

I’ve watched Fathead 4 times now and will no doubt watch it more. I’ll be passing it around for others to watch and learn.

DS

Thank you.

36. JimS

“I’m defenseless in the face of such rhetorical skill.”

I’ll have to remember that one the next time I get cussed out for not agreeing with the eejit assertions of bloggers who, while professing themselves to be wise, have become fools.

37. Jan

Good for you for not responding to the Boozlers on Hulu. There’s a saying (a VERY NOT politically correct saying, so don’t beat me up): “Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics – even when you win, you’re still retarded.”

Let them swallow the Kool Aid. I’ll take a steak.

38. Amanda

39. DiscoStew

DS

Thank you.

40. JimS

“I’m defenseless in the face of such rhetorical skill.”

41. Jan

Let them swallow the Kool Aid. I’ll take a steak.

42. Galina L.

Somehow, the staff on your blog I developed a habit to read ticks me in a good way.Please, forgive me all present and future grammar mistakes, my first language is Russian and I started to learn English after 30.

Your English a whole lot better than my Russian. English is a difficult language, and I admire anyone who learns it as an adult.

43. Tuck

Loved your movie, love you blog, keep up the good work. I’d love to see you do another movie based on all the stuff you’ve learned since.

And I’ll not be watching Fat Head on Hulu, I own the DVD.

If Fat Head pays for itself, I have other ideas in mind. If I started shooting it again today, it would be a different film.

44. TWV

For those that think Spurlock in Super Size Me didn’t stuff himself, just look at his food log for day one (2/3rds of can be seen at 0:36:18 in the movie). He stuffed himself silly and had an afternoon snack as well. It makes his throwing up on his second day’s lunch look even more silly when you know that he had two big macs, two small fries, a chocolate shake, and a coke the day before for lunch.

But you can tell some people the sky is blue, they see it is blue, and they will still deny it.

So much for his “three square meals per day” rule.

45. Paul Eilers

This reminds me of the old joke, “Don’t confuse me with the facts. My mind is made up!”

By the way, I am curious as to the demographics of the people who posted the angry reviews.

The demographic of the people I’ve known personally who really liked Super Size Me was young, urban, disproportionately vegetarian, disproportionately left-of-center politically and therefore predisposed to be hostile towards large, successful corporations. My conservative and/or libertarian friends thought it was basically a stunt masquerading as a documentary long before I produced Fat Head.

46. Sarah

Hey Tom, is it true that you should eat within the hour that you get out of bed to speed up your metabolism for the rest of the day? Or is it ok to skip breakfast if you don’t wake up hungry? Also, do you know whether or not it’s a good idea to exercise in the morning when you’re running on your fat?

That came up in a conversation I had with Gary Taubes. He said for many people, especially insulin-resistant people, morning is the one time of day their insulin is very low and they’re actually burning body fat … so if you’re not hungry in the morning, don’t eat.

I know some people advocate working out in a fasted state. The logic of it makes sense, but I haven’t tried it.

47. Dave, RN

“Spurlock attended film school and was experienced and well-versed on how to create a documentary that spoke to a varied demographic.”

A typical “appeal to authority” argument. “Educated” doesn’t equate to “right”.

His film was definitely higher budget and much more polished. I have no problem admitting that. But if the question is “how much useful information did you learn?” I believe I came out ahead.