This Is What We’re Up Against …

If the federal government’s influence over food choices were limited to releasing dense and unreadable Dietary Guidelines every five years, it wouldn’t be much to worry about. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. Schools, the military, prisons and other government facilities are required to follow those guidelines.

And in case that’s not enough, they’re doing their best to harangue us into following the guidelines at home as well. Check out this video:

The Apps for Kids official website describes the competition:

The Apps for Healthy Kids competition is a part of First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! campaign to end childhood obesity within a generation. Apps for Healthy Kids challenges software developers, game designers, students, and other innovators to develop fun and engaging software tools and games that drive children, especially “tweens” (ages 9-12) – directly or through their parents – to eat better and be more physically active.

Tools and games should be built using the USDA nutrition dataset recently made available to the public through the Open Government Initiative. The dataset provides information on total calories, calories from “extras” (solid fats and added sugars), and MyPyramid food groups for over 1,000 commonly eaten foods. We are seeking innovative and creative tools and games that use the USDA dataset to deliver nutrition and health concepts in a fun and engaging way.

Great … now kids can be brainwashed by the USDA while playing games. The only saving grace here is that the government officials in charge will probably select games no self-respecting kid would actually find interesting.

A few days ago, we decided we’d better do some summertime family activities before summer is gone, so we took the girls to play miniature golf and visit a children’s discovery center in a nearby town. It was a lovely drive through the hills and rolling countryside, where we saw several ranches with cows roaming around the pastures and eating grass … just like Mother Nature Intended.

The discovery center was actually pretty cool. Lots of interesting science, nature and technology exhibits for kids. Here’s my six-year-old getting up close and personal with some turtles:

Unfortunately, the USDA apparently rents a small section of the museum. An entire corner was dedicated to the wonders of the Food Pyramid and health advice based on it.

So this is what we’re up against. Dietary guidelines in the schools, dietary guidelines being programmed into educational games, dietary guidelines being quoted as gospel by health reporters in the media, dietary guidelines on display in museums, and of course dietary guidelines on your food packages. No wonder people give you a strange look if you tell them you avoid grains and eat lots of animal fats.  It’s been pounded into their heads over and over that a diet like that will kill you.

Grains and soybean oil … lovely. Anyone out there really believe the U.S. Department of Agriculture is pushing those foods because they’re just soooooo good for you?

While I was pulling these pictures off my wife’s camera, I found a few others that are relevant. Apparently one of us wanted to remember breakfast one morning and took this one:

That’s a typical breakfast around here. Cheese and onion omelet (cooked in Kerrygold butter) with sour cream on top, bacon, avocado, a bit of fruit. No grains, and no godawful soybean oil to ruin it.

In the pictures above and below, you can see how a diet that rarely includes bread, pasta, cereal, or any of the foods at the base of the Food Pyramid has turned my six-year-old into a listless little weakling. These were taken at a fair in downtown Franklin. A bunch of other kids her age and older also tried to climb to the top of the wall, where they could push a buzzer to announce their success. Not one made it during the time we were watching.  But she did.

We also finally got around to finding a local dentist and all had our first checkups in over a year.  Four people, zero cavities.  So I think I’ll continue ignoring the USDA and their Dietary Guidelines.

34 thoughts on “This Is What We’re Up Against …

1. k_the_c

You don’t have to save the world by trying to convince others of something they’re not ready to be convinced of. None of this would have been interesting to me just a few months ago. It was only by accident that I happened to reduce the amount of starch I was consuming. Within two to three weeks, I noticed I was losing fat. I had no intention of losing fat. A friend recommended I watch your movie. I let that sit for about 3 weeks before I finally put the DVD in. Suddenly, things started to make more sense. I’ve changed the way I view diet and exercise. When people are ready, they’ll find the info they want. No need to beat them over the head with it or worry about who’s not getting it.

Stumbling across contrary information is what opened my eyes. I hope others have the same experience.

2. N. R. Spencer

During my first year here in Norway, I taught English at an international school. One day, my seventh-grade students had come from home ec, where they had been learning all about the food pyramid. I told them that they had to listen to what they were told so they could pass the test, but I also told them, that if _I_ ate according to the food pyramid, I’d look like it. They laughed. I didn’t say, “Never take dietary advice from someone who is fatter than you are,” but that was the implication. I’m sure my irreverence with regard to USDA official wisdom got back to the teacher. In any case, I was not rehired. Not that I minded. I have a much better job now.

You dared say that in a school? You’ll never teach again.

3. Laurie

“Caloric Balance Equation” The way I see it, we eat for three reasons. Heat (we’re homeotherms), fuel to make ATP and for intake of components (our structure). If we were a dumb furnace just ‘eating’ for heat, the “Caloric Balance Equation” might be enough. But our bodies make, tear down, repair, maintain, and constantly remake cells, hormones, enzymes, membranes, immune antibodies, signaling molecules, synapses, axons, structural proteins……ETC 24/7, 365, for decades if we live well into adulthood. We also harbor 1000 trillion bacterial symbiotic passengers that basically turnover DAILY, 365- for decades. They’re smaller and dumber, but they’re health and composition is intimately tied to ours and even the simplest prokaryote is smarter than a dumb furnace. They can exist in the cold but they don’t start metabolizing until there’s heat, they make ATP so they need fuel and they definitely have a structure that they need components for, even for their short lifetimes.
    Calorie equation is a CANARD. It applies to a bomb calorimeter (furnace) in a lab. It and our bodies cannot defy the laws of thermo, but our bodies can definitely extract LESS than 9 cal/g from an ingested fat gram if, let’s say, most of that fat gram is used for structural fat component in our FATTY BRAIN.

Given how often the calorie equation fails to explain weight gain (or a lack of it, in the case of overfeeding studies where subjects barely gain at all), you’d think they’d just let that one go. Yes, it’s true that energy can’t be destroyed, but we just don’t know that much about how our bodies use the energy we consume.

4. Franklin Mason

The USDA has lost the right to be believed. Its recommendations have created a health catastrophe. I live in a mid-sized Midwestern city, and that catastrophe is quite apparent every time I shop. (I shop and cook for a family of five.) There’s always someone – often many someones – who can’t even walk the isles but instead ride about on a little electric cart. Of those who can walk, almost all are obese. Sometimes when I shop, there’s not another person in the store who’s anywhere near normal weight.

There are two explanations for this. Either we just refuse to get up off our lazy asses and follow the wise recommendations of the USDA, or their recommendations are simply not followable by human beings. I know which it was for me. When I ate a high-carb diet, I was always goddamn hungry. I craved carbs all day long, and at about 5 in the afternoon I began to crave alcohol. Thank God I’ve put that behind me. I’m now very low carb, with lots of protein and yummy saturated fat. I’ve never felt better. My wife says that I look like a different human being.

Michelle Obama’s heart is in the right place. But her head is up her ass. Exercise isn’t the cause of fitness. Rather we will become active when we are fit. And how do we become fit? When we put the right fuels in the body. The root cause of good health ain’t the head and the decisions it makes. Rather it’s the belly. Put the right foods in it and the rest falls into place.

As Milton Friedman said, people have an inexhaustible capacity to believe that whatever is good for them personally is also good for society. The USDA’s mission is to sell grains. They will also believe grains are good for us.

None of this is the First Lady’s fault, of course. I’m sure she means well, but she’s been given bad informaton.

5. Tim

Yes yes yes, that last comment on the dentist visit resonates. I’ve been sorta obsessed with Weston A Price’s book (and the WAPF and Price/Pottenger’s online info…) as I have a 4 month old (sleeping in my lap as I eat local liver, eggs and bacon…) son that I would love love love to give a great start to a healthy life! And a big part of that is the skull/jaw/tooth/sinus development in infancy and early childhood!

So far so good! The USDA and mainstream dietary advice is such bunk! Glad to live in cattle/ wild game country, and glad to have the info from Fat Head and other sources tucked into my fat-bathed folds of my brain!

My wife read Weston A. Price’s book recently, and it’s made her even more aware of what we feed the kids. She and I both had a lot of cavities in childhood. Well, duh, Captain Crunch and white-bread toast with sugar and cinnamon will do that to you. Not going to happen with our girls.

6. pjnoir

Is it the fact that its the Government (oh my!) or is it the fact that the information is wrong that pisses you off so much? What if Mrs Obama had followed Taubes or a low carb guru- would you be against the big bad government intrusion into the way we want to live?

It’s both. The government has no business telling us what to eat, then adds injury to insult by giving us the wrong advice. Government nutrition nannies believe in that “speak with one voice” idea, which is stupid. You don’t advance knowledge by speaking in one voice. You advance knowledge by allowing ideas to compete. If you read enough blogs by low-carb or paleo doctors and enthusiasts, you’ll find plenty of disagreements.

And if you read enough of my previous posts, you’ll see that I read food labels but don’t want the government imposing them, I don’t smoke but don’t want the government telling bars and restaurants they can’t allow smoking, etc. Unlike most of the voters in today’s world, I don’t believe that just because I really, really want something or believe that something is a good idea, I’m now entitled to have the government violate someone else’s freedom in order to fulfill my desires.

7. Jeanne

How great that your kids are off to such a great start!
    Good for you and your wife.
    Maybe your kids can be ambassadors to their own generation re nutrition that makes them feel and look good.

I hope that’s not necessary, but they’ll be ready.

8. Anna

The gov’t intrusions into how our kids should eat really makes my blood boil. Friends ask me why I don’t participate as a parent representative on the local school district’s Nutrition Committee since I’m so “into good food and nutrition”…ha! There’s no way I could sit in those meetings and hold my tongue; what I have to say would NOT be welcomed. Needless to say, my child doesn’t eat the school lunches.

Our local public schools (many built in the late 70s-90s) don’t even have kitchens or cafeterias; there is a small area with coolers/microwaves and storage for the hot & cold carts that hold the food items during lunch service (being So Cal, the kids eat lunch outside under a shade cover). The elementary district’s schools lunch programs are supplied by a centralized kitchen and delivery of the heat & serve foods. A local pizza company delivers daily.

The lunch service generates a huge amount of packaging waste as all the items are wrapped in some way – sealed individual cups of cut fruit in syrup, cardboard cartons of “bouncy” chicken nuggets, foil wrapped burritos, and so on. Essentially the kids are eating food similar to that from the 7-Eleven convenience store, except that the fat content is carefully controlled (but not the sugar, refined carbs, trans fats, and synthetic ingredients and vitamins).

How the heck are we to nourish civilized kids when we feed them not only cr*p, but packaged cr*p? What happened to plates, cutlery, cups? Not only are the disposables a garbage issue, but I think using disposable packaging diminishes the social value of the meal. Around world in other industrialized societies, school kids sit and eat communally like civilized humans, but not in my community.

Unfortunately, it’s just as bad with many of the lunches sent from home. Individually packaged items from warehouse purchases or grocery stores are the norm – not food prepared at home. “Lunchables”, bags of chips, “whole-grain” cereal bars, containers of juice & sugary sports drinks, and so on pass for a “homemade” lunch now. One parent I know who normally tossed a Lunchable into her boys’ backpacks daily, opened Lunchables and repacked the contents in reuseable containers every day during Earth Awareness Week when “no garbage” lunches were requested.

Sheesh.

Lunchables in reusable containers … I’m still laughing here.

9. Katie

Sigh. I know it can seem hopeless sometime, but the message is slowly starting to seep out. I attended Robb Wolf’s paleolithic solutions seminar last weekend, and I was really encouraged that Cordain’s the Paleo Diet is selling the best that it’s ever been (I don’t agree with his anti-sat fat stance, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction), and that Robb’s book will be coming out in the fall. He said that at least one of the big bookstores has promised that it will now include a “paleo diet” section in its bookstores–that’s a huge step forward. Also, look at the great success Mark Sisson had when he made his big push to make the Primal Blueprint the top Amazon nutrition book. And, of course, your documentary is a great help! 🙂

People are starting to notice that we are continuing to get sicker and fatter, in spite of (I would say because of, but conventional wisdom obviously doesn’t agree) the government’s guidelines. My husband and I can’t believe how much healthier our grandparents–in their late 70s/early 80s–seem than our parents–in their late 50s/early 60s. It was our parents that spent their entire adult lives personifying the low fat-high carb message that the government’s been spouting since the ’70s.

Plus, I’d like to see the numbers regarding the increase in all autoimmune diseases since the government changed its dietary guidelines. This could be a mistaken impression, but it sure as heck seems like there has been a meteoric rise. Every single person I know has family members or friends suffering from one or more autoimmune conditions that were rare or unheard of a generation ago. I know that our science to detect these things is more sophisticated, but these are truly crippling diseases that at least would not have gone on unnoticed! I was amazed when I heard Robb Wolf speak about the thousands of people he’s helped put their conditions in remission with a paleo diet. It is truly inspirational.

I guess this is my way of saying that I am cautiously optimistic that during the next generation, things will begin to change. We can look to Sweden to see that sometimes, it only takes one person to set off the chain of events that leads to a fundamental reconsideration of diet. As your brilliant play-by-play of the USDA’s latest dietary nightmare shows, the conventional low fat-high carb diet is riddled with so many internal inconsistencies that it’s only a matter of time before it collapses under its own weight.

I consider the olive oil and nuts are GOOD movement (and the move away from corn oil–I remember Mazola used to be heavily pushed as “the best thing since sliced bread”–ha!–but now even conventional folks seem to recognize it’s a disaster) a step in the right direction. It’s only a matter of time before people figure out that, hey, olive oil only has slightly less saturated fat than lard (oh, and a huge percentage of olive oil is adulterated with cheaper nasty, rancid oils anyway). For now, all we can do is keep on keeping on…

Believe it or not, I’m optimistic too. As more and more people have access to knowledge, The Wisdom of Crowds effect kicks in, and with all the web sites, blogs, self-published books, etc. out there now, we’re seeing it happen. Government will be able to keep the Lipid Hypothesis on life support for a long time, but ultimately it’s going to die off.

10. Dave Dixon

Indeed, I’ve long thought that the key to promoting better childhood nutrition and health is lame video games. I’d much rather my child sit on his ass playing a game about eating more bread than getting outside to run around.

Let’s review the “strategic plan framework” from the USDA’s mission statement page:

“The framework of this plan depends on these key activities: expanding markets for agricultural products and support international economic development, further developing alternative markets for agricultural products and activities, providing financing needed to help expand job opportunities and improve housing, utilities and infrastructure in rural America, enhancing food safety by taking steps to reduce the prevalence of foodborne hazards from farm to table, improving nutrition and health by providing food assistance and nutrition education and promotion, and managing and protecting America’s public and private lands working cooperatively with other levels of government and the private sector.”

I guess we can be encouraged that “improving nutrition and health” isn’t at the absolute bottom of the list, but the priorities here are clear: “expanding markets for agricultural products” takes priority over preservation of land, your health, enhancing food safety, and improving “housing, utilities and infrastructure in rural America”. Any time we parse government messages about food and health, we would do well to consider the priorities of the source.

And according the dictionary.com, “foodborne” is not a word. Yay, govamint.

It’s always been about selling grain, ever since F.D.R. decided the government should be in the farming business.

11. Stanley Fishman

Nice job! Yes, the forces that profit from keeping us sick sure do get out a lot of propaganda.

I like your website and the film. Thank you for having the courage and wisdom to spread the truth.We are fellow travelers, and I wish you the best.

My pleasure.

12. The Dude

I think you nailed it with this line:

“the government officials in charge will probably select games no self-respecting kid would actually find interesting.”

Hopefully the makers of Sponge Bob or the Lego games won’t enter the contest

Or Dora The Explorer, in my daughter’s case.

13. Tracee

I’ve mentioned before how our local public school serves white bread and glazed doughnuts, but at my childs daycare, the state required me to have a statement on file as to why my child does not eat the food that is served by the daycare (luckily he has food allergies). I discussed this with my 70 year old father. I commented on how it’s odd that the goal of school lunch is supposed to be to give them a healthy meal but they serve white flour products. He said the whole reason for the school lunch program was never to do such a thing. He said the whole reason behind starting school lunches was to use up farming surpluses. Sounds like that is the what the food pyramid is about as well… soybean oil, grains, gmo corn.

I think your father is spot on.

14. Dan

I’d say let’s develop a low carb app, but it wouldn’t meet their food pyramid criteria. 🙂

They are wringing their hands over an alleged obesity epidemic, but just calling for more of the same.

I’m afraid that’s true. They spend our money subsidizing garbage foods, then spend more to promote it, then spend even more treating the people who get sick from it.

15. Rishara

To me, it seems we take 1 step forward and about 10 steps backward in the fight against faulty nutrition advice. This morning on my favorite local morning radio show program they began talking about how 1 in 4 adults are considered obese and then started ranting about how people just need to stop being lazy and get off their fannies. Then, one host verbally rolled her eyes (you could just hear it in her voice) and said ‘yeah but it’s high fructose corn syrup to blame.’ I normally love this show, but it just irked me. Yes, it IS to blame, along with all the rest of the carb pushing. What’s sad is that she herself follows a low-carb diet, so I don’t get why she constantly moans about people just begin slothful as a cause for begin fat instead of positively promoting low-carb diets as a key to success.

As an aside, my hubby grew up on a farm/ranch (about 40 years ago). When I was ranting one day about how we are messing up our cows by feeding them corn he got a really puzzled look on his face. He said all their cows ate grass and never fathomed that that’s not what they are normally fed now.

Yup, the laziness sets in after the bad diets sap our energy.

16. chainey

Yes what we’re up against is formidable and insidious, but every now and then the truth leaks out:

A small news item from the New Zealand Herald that warmed the cockles of my heart: Twins celebrate century of sisterhood

Money quotes:

“They also look incredibly youthful for their age – something Mrs Hunt puts down to plenty of ‘good soap and water, none of this fancy stuff’.”

Mmmm. Well maybe, but avoiding fancy cosmetics may not be enough:

A secret to long life was eating wholesome food – like fat, she said.

“I like fat. There’s no fat on the blessed meat now. And butter. Everyone used to say, ‘Look, the butter eater’s home!’ I’d leave teeth marks in the butter.”

Outstanding. My great-grandfather lived to 101 and he didn’t eat low-fat anything. I hope to beat his record.

17. Khrystyna

I really enjoyed this article, your daughter is so lucky to have parents with a bit of cop on. My head is jam packed full of fillings after being raised on refined carbs and sugar it’s such a pain. I know I’m going to be in agony when I’m older so I’m just hoping that they make some serious advances in dentistry in the mean time 😉
    That’s my kinda breakfast too, except that I’m horribly intolerant to eggs AND avocados, is there no justice in the world! 🙁

I look at all those fillings in my mouth (fortunately the ceramic kind now that aren’t obvious) and think, “Man, if only we’d known.” I even got new cavities as an adult when I didn’t eat sugar at all … but I ate bread and cereals.

18. Jan

Y’know, my youngest son (the 15-year-old and one of your biggest fans – he’s watched Fat Head 5 times by my count) has had all of ONE cavity in his entire life. Oddly enough, his favorite foods are meat, eggs, cheese and chocolate. I have always curtailed the chocolate consumption, but up until recently I was very worried about the rest of it; now, I know just exactly why he’s always been thin and the picture of health – and pretty much cavity-less.

And Laurie, as a very intelligent, witty computer geek he thanks you for his new vocabulary as he enters his sophomore year in high school – I can assure you “homeotherms” is going to get a BIG workout.

Tell your son thanks and I’m flattered a teen would watch Fat Head five times.

19. Chris

I couldn’t help but notice that our USDA Secretary has a nice double chin going for him. Could be gravity, but he doesn’t look like the picture of vibrant good health. Coincidence?

It’s the weight of the responsbility of advising the rest of us how to eat.

20. Caitlin

There’s already some competitors you can vote on, and some indeed look duller than beige on gray. One called Smash Your Food™ looks kinda fun…” lets children see and hear foods like a milkshake, or a burger, explode – while learning how much sugar, salt and oil their favorite foods are hiding!”
    An app called “Smash Bloated, Costly, and Frankly Nosy Government Initiatives” would be even more fun, no?

There’s one called “How Wheat Works”, but I doubt the “works” part includes celiac disease or working to shrink your LDL particles.

An application that included all the Bloated, Costly, and Frankly Nosy Government Initiatives would require a hard drive somewhere in the terabyte range.

21. Richard Tamesis, M.D.

I just hope the day never comes when the government decides to make the USDA’s dietary guidelines mandatory for everyone in order to combat their induced soon-to-be obesity crisis and charge parents who don’t follow their guidelines with child neglect or abuse.

Well, one of our genius congressmen recently told people at a town hall meeting that the Constitution doesn’t prevent the federal government from mandating choices for our own good — that was in response to a question about ordering us to buy health insurance — so who knows?

22. Wanda

Nice to see your daughter thriving on such a sensible diet. On a somewhat unrelated note, I found this joke on The Oatmeal website…

What does a vegan zombie eat?

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINS!

Cheers!

That’s worth a chuckle.

23. Don

Tom,

I had bloodwork done last week and got the results back today. The last bloodwork before that was from August ’07 and it wasn’t pretty. The current results aren’t great (yet) but…well, see for yourself:

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL: 248, down from 260 in ’07

TRIGLYCERIDES: 136, down from 199 in ’07

HDL: 46, up from 40 in ’07

LDL: 175, down from 180 in ’07

VLDL: 27, down from 40 in ’07

So there’s still much room for progress but every point has improved in three years. Why? Lipitor? No. I made two – and only two – lifestyle changes:

1) I greatly upped my fats (mainly coconut oil and animal fat, and recently added flaxseed) while avoiding transfats everywhere I could.

2) I cut carbs way back…I’m not ‘no-carb’ and not always ‘low-carb’ but my carb intake has been massively reduced over the past three years.

Proof is in the pudding (or bloodwork) so I’m now convinced: Not only will a high sat fat/low carb diet not kill you, it’ll improve your health. I know because, it bears repeating, the two changes above are the ONLY changes I’ve made in my lifestyle since ’07.

Thanks for a great blog, keep it up.

I started upping my fats and cutting carbs about 2 years ago.

That’s good progress, and I’d expect you’ll see even more improvement in upcoming months.

24. Marilyn

Tracee, I’m the same age as your father, and I remember those farm surplus items at school, now that you mention it. I went to a one-room country school and, in addition to teaching, the teacher had to prepare “hot lunches” some of the time. (This meant the school board had to go to an auction and buy a stove. The $1 stove worked better than the $2 one, so they kept the $1 one and junked the other.) I was vaguely aware that we were using farm surplus items, but it seemed like a Good Thing at the time, since we were farmers and we were taught not to waste things. The only items I remember were honey, and something like Franco-American spaghetti. I’m sure there were other things. All I know is that I preferred my mom’s lunches, which included sandwiches with plenty of butter, with filling ranging from peanut butter to free-range chicken to pickled heart.

25. Marilyn

A typo. Make that last line “pickled heart.” [beef]

Fixed. We don’t want people thinking you go out picking hearts.

26. Rocky

The pathetic nutrition rhetoric from the government is bad enough as it is: largely misguided advice with a relatively moderate amount of legislative muscle behind it. What truly frightens me is the thought of increased government mandate and the way increased legislative muscle behind this nonsense will be justified is through national health care.

When the government is footing the bill for the majority of our health care, the collectivist thinking will become more firmly entrenched, giving rise to the notion that “for the public good and reduced health care costs we must mandate these nutrition guidelines” and even further restrict public access to “unhealthy things.”

Then next, it’s only logical that we can’t be trusted with things like nutritional supplements and alternative medical advice. All of that will need to come through approved health care providers.

Indeed, so many frightening doors open once the government is firmly in control of the finances behind health care. We already see children removed from the home because the parents aren’t pursuing “medically approved treatments” for a child’s medical condition. Call me an alarmist, but I don’t think it’s terribly far fetched to imagine court ordered statins for a child that a doctor declares is “at-risk” for coronary artery disease. Nor do I have difficulty imagining increased scrutiny by child protective services into what parents are feeding their child if a teacher reports seeing a child with an unhealthy “high fat” diet that deviates wildly from the food pyramid guidelines.

I’ve raised similar objections, and the usual response is something like “Well, I still want government health care, but I don’t want them intruding in our health and nutrition decisions.” Yeah, right … that’s how it will work. I mean, heck, it’s not like they dictate food choices to our local grade school or anything … oh, wait …

There have already been proposals to outlaw over-the-counter supplements. What, you think you should be able to just BUY tryptophan if you need it?! Sorry, our good friends (and major campaign contributors) at Pfizer tell us that’s not a good idea.

27. Krys

Your daughter is only six and she climbed to the top of that wall? That is amazing! You’ve should be very proud, not only of her courage and ability, but also of the great job you and your wife on doing on raising her. I hope more parents follow your lead!

Thank you. In addition to eating good food, I think she got my father-in-law’s jock genes. I was, unfortunately, a weak kid.

Only thing that scares me about her is that she’s a bit too fearless at times. Jump first, ask questions later.

28. Art

Hello,
    Saw your movie about 3 or 4 weeks ago and decided to do some more research on the subject, so I decided to change my diet and so far in two weeks I have went from 283lbs to 276lbs eating milk, eggs, bacon, sausage, beef some chicken and some veggies (not much) oh and real butter and lard(YUM!!) I do eat carbs here and there (more like a bite here and there) I have thrown out all my cereals and grain products and I have found that I’m not tired in the daytime any more and not hungry between meals its weird because it was always hard for me to lose weight even when going to the gym regularly and now I’ve lost weight from just sitting on my butt and eating fat LOL( not really sitting on my butt but not really exercising either) so far I am a believer and have tried to convince my mother in-law who believes she will lose weight with lots of whole grains and fibre ( she has held this belief for years now and not losing any weight ) Well thanks and I’m going to see where this diet takes me.

Good luck and keep me posted.